• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Main Hall Prospect

tnt said:
CFallsGriz said:
tnt said:
Grizzoola said:
Charles Ambrose, president of Central Missouri University, is a strong candidate, in my opinion. He's had similar experience at CMU as at UM, and has succeeded in solving university problems. Best of all, he has a clear vision of what UM has been, is, and could be.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/charles-ambrose-is-ready-to-lead-a-flagship-the-university/article_de162e00-1fb6-5428-825a-4e13508a038e.html

I have to agree. A university is whole bunch different than board room OR the military. You can't just say it and have it happen and the buck never stops moving..........

tnt, did you read the article? He fully acknowledged that.

Trump acknowledged it too, but living with it and dealing with it are two different things. As far as reading the article I did. His reume is bloated. Understand he has NO "command experience." A major Serves as primary Staff Officer for brigade and task force command meaning he carries out others work basically a gopher. Thats where most career officers top out. His GE experience as a "director" was at the same level. He was NOT the decision maker at any time. The academic equivalent would be a Vice president of XXX or at best Chancellor. This would be his first "command position" Not saying he wouldn't be good, just that the state of things now doesn't allow for an OJT president. Charles Ambrose on the other hand has proven himself in the job and dealing with the same issues UM is facing.

Here we go w the political stuff. Not going there. Im fully familiar w military command structure but thanks for the synopsis. Not his personal advocate, but I feel to label him a "gopher" is a tad disrespectful albeit unsurprising considering the source. Your position is noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFallsGriz said:
tnt said:
CFallsGriz said:
tnt said:
I have to agree. A university is whole bunch different than board room OR the military. You can't just say it and have it happen and the buck never stops moving..........

tnt, did you read the article? He fully acknowledged that.

Trump acknowledged it too, but living with it and dealing with it are two different things. As far as reading the article I did. His reume is bloated. Understand he has NO "command experience." A major Serves as primary Staff Officer for brigade and task force command meaning he carries out others work basically a gopher. Thats where most career officers top out. His GE experience as a "director" was at the same level. He was NOT the decision maker at any time. The academic equivalent would be a Vice president of XXX or at best Chancellor. This would be his first "command position" Not saying he wouldn't be good, just that the state of things now doesn't allow for an OJT president. Charles Ambrose on the other hand has proven himself in the job and dealing with the same issues UM is facing.

Here we go w the political stuff. Not going there. Im fully familiar w military command structure but thanks for the synopsis. Not his personal advocate, but I feel to label him a "gopher" is a tad disrespectful albeit unsurprising considering the source. Your position is noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's unlikely he was promoted to Major without successfully commanding a company as a Captain. Typically a company has between 80-140 Soldiers...just FYI.

go96griz said:
grizpack said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:
yeah, for instance look at the crap job the dartmouth president, an academic/mathematician, is doing.

in other words, i'm reading a lot of people here jumping to conclusions about the ability of academics to run universities based, it seems, solely on engstrom. maybe it is worth remembering that the griz football success everybody is pining for again happened under an academician - dennison, who was a historian.
Dennison was in no way an ideal president, albeit far more capable than Engstrom. He was a well-known control freak (often referred to as King George) and distorted University accounting systems for his personal agendas. His self-designed legacies were campus buildings, some that were needed and others that were not. The campus is now very overbuilt with its inherent cost burden and overcrowded appearance. He also used his control of the accounting to create a large deficit for the popular AD who he wanted out because he did not have him in his hip pocket.

Exactly. Great post. Remember also that Dennison was president during pretty good economic times. One would hope the University would prosper during that time.

I think the guy sounds like a good candidate. Which makes me believe he has no shot. I think UM hires the female candidate.

To me, the female candidate appears to be the Board of Regents attempt at finding another Waded Cruzado to match MSU's dynamic leader. There are many similarities in their backgrounds.

Agreed. However, if we find another Waded Cruzado, I would be very, very, very happy. I think she is excellent.

How goes that saying ? "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Colleges are changing so why not hire a change.

SoldierGriz said:
CFallsGriz said:
tnt said:
CFallsGriz said:
It's unlikely he was promoted to Major without successfully commanding a company as a Captain. Typically a company has between 80-140 Soldiers...just FYI.

OR very likley he was not succesful. Early promotion to major is also a prime example of the Peter Principle at work in the military. Its a way ring knockers take car of each other. Promotion to low entry level staff officer is in many ways a demotion. It gets him out of command responsibility. Were he a Reserve Officer rather than RA, it might be less suspect. Sort of the same as his TWO masters degrees. That generally is indicitive of one who can't muster the "stuff" to do enough research for a thesis to get his doctorate......

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
Sure, bring in an academic, former provost and professor like Engstrom, who was well known, and he goofs up virtually every decision at UM. Academics generally don't know how to run anything.

It's time to get in an energetic leader, something who is used to running things, setting goals, and getting stuff done.

yeah, for instance look at the crap job the dartmouth president, an academic/mathematician, is doing.

in other words, i'm reading a lot of people here jumping to conclusions about the ability of academics to run universities based, it seems, solely on engstrom. maybe it is worth remembering that the griz football success everybody is pining for again happened under an academician - dennison, who was a historian.

Here's an example of an academic who can't even write a sentence in plain English. Not quite sure what you are intending to say about the Dartmouth president. He's not my favorite, largely because he was ruined by his time at Michigan. Became a big university type guy. Has been an administrator too long.

Dennison knew a lot about sports and enjoyed sports and had a non-traditional path. 4 years in the Navy out of high school. Associate degree at Miles Community College. Son is the offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills. Son played football at CSU and in the NFL. It is not surprising that Pres. Dennison was good for UM sports, as he was very knowledgeable and a big fan.

" He is currently the offensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills. An assistant in the NFL since 1995, he served as offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos (2006–2008, 2015-2016) and Houston Texans (2010–2013), and served as quarterbacks coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 2014. He was the special teams coach for the Super Bowl Champion Broncos in 1997 and 1998. A linebacker who spent his entire NFL playing career in Denver from 1982 to 1990, he appeared in Super Bowls XXI, XXII, and XXIV."

They are all good candidates and all have features and backgrounds that would be beneficial to the campus. I will get behind whoever they choose and have a positive outlook based on these bios. I applaud the Missoulian and Keila Szpaller for the great insight.

Mirta-Martin.jpg
Is anyone else concerned that Mirta is actually a Vampire?????

grizd said:
They are all good candidates and all have features and backgrounds that would be beneficial to the campus. I will get behind whoever they choose and have a positive outlook based on these bios. I applaud the Missoulian and Keila Szpaller for the great insight.

Completely agree, good post.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Mirta-Martin.jpg

My concern is that she received a vote of no confidence from her school's faculty a year ago in the fall, and then resigned for "personal reasons" later in the fall. Can't imagine that won't sink her.

I think Ambrose is the best fit for UM at this point. Now, "best fit" may not be what many on this board want. They want an iconoclast, someone on the order of a Ryan Zinke. Nothing can be more convincing of the failure of the business model applied to a government operation than Donald Trump's performance, so far. A university president is not a CEO.

Higher education is not composed of "machines," which is how each business operates. A machine is designed to do only one thing, and that perfectly. Businesses are the same. Higher education is not. I suspect most on here want UM to become another STEM institution, like MSU, a "machine."

I do not believe UM's enrollment decline was due to its emphasis on the humanities. Our society has, always has, and always will have, places for graduates in the humanities. I believe the enrollment decline was due to mismanagement by the administration in several well-publicized areas. I believe, had Mr. Ambrose been our president, things would have turned out far differently.

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Mirta-Martin.jpg

My concern is that she received a vote of no confidence from her school's faculty a year ago in the fall, and then resigned for "personal reasons" later in the fall. Can't imagine that won't sink her.

Personal Reasons may include: lack of sleep throughout the night, a strong dislike for the amount of garlic being served in the student union, low body counts in the local morgues, and lack of available rave dance clubs to attend and "scout" local student body prospects.

Grizzoola said:
I think Ambrose is the best fit for UM at this point. Now, "best fit" may not be what many on this board want. They want an iconoclast, someone on the order of a Ryan Zinke. Nothing can be more convincing of the failure of the business model applied to a government operation than Donald Trump's performance, so far. A university president is not a CEO.

Higher education is not composed of "machines," which is how each business operates. A machine is designed to do only one thing, and that perfectly. Businesses are the same. Higher education is not. I suspect most on here want UM to become another STEM institution, like MSU, a "machine."

I do not believe UM's enrollment decline was due to its emphasis on the humanities. Our society has, always has, and always will have, places for graduates in the humanities. I believe the enrollment decline was due to mismanagement by the administration in several well-publicized areas. I believe, had Mr. Ambrose been our president, things would have turned out far differently.

You made some nice leaps in those three short paragraphs. Again, not going into the political BS, so good luck with your wild generalizations there.

MSU is doing well by most standards. Yet you say that "higher education" does not operate like a machine and also that MSU is "like" one. Not sure I follow your logic there.

I don't recall any posts in this particular thread claiming a humanities emphasis is solely to blame for enrollment decline, but rather agreeing about mismanagement. I can wholeheartedly agree on your last sentence, and I would extend that to include Elmer Fudd.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Mirta-Martin.jpg

Personal Reasons may include: lack of sleep throughout the night, a strong dislike for the amount of garlic being served in the student union, low body counts in the local morgues, and lack of available rave dance clubs to attend and "scout" local student body prospects.

Badlands that's hilarious! I got a nice laugh out of your "personal reasons."

Solid work :lol:

CFallsGriz said:
hokeyfine said:
i agree. as a person who came from academia, waded cruzado sure has sucked at msu......... :roll:

You're not listening to the whole discussion...
im listening, just a poke at the people who don't want another" liberal acadamian" to run the ship but would prefer a "conservative leaning" person.
how that lady got into the final three is beyond me. if shes a top three out of 96 applicants then thats not saying much about the pool or the process.

hokeyfine said:
CFallsGriz said:
hokeyfine said:
i agree. as a person who came from academia, waded cruzado sure has sucked at msu......... :roll:

im listening, just a poke at the people who don't want another" liberal acadamian" to run the ship but would prefer a "conservative leaning" person.
how that lady got into the final three is beyond me. if shes a top three out of 96 applicants then thats not saying much about the pool or the process.

Not sure how anyone can conclude the guy is "conservative leaning." I'm sure there are plenty of successful people that started in the military who now work in the private sector and are "liberal leaning." I don't know his "leanings," don't care to, and just wanted to avoid those references for obvious reasons (people get way too confrontational).

I'm not sure but what a no confidence vote by the faculty isn't a recommendation............

tnt said:
I'm not sure but what a no confidence vote by the faculty isn't a recommendation............

The thing is, most loved her. The former president of the university and a few other powerful people, didn't like her. I don't believe the real reasons will ever come up but it sounds like some people didn't like having a woman of her origin in power. Students loved her and her success speaks for itself.

hokeyfine said:
CFallsGriz said:
hokeyfine said:

Why should that be a surprise? Recall the pool when Engstrom was hired....

kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
CFallsGriz said:
hokeyfine said:

Why should that be a surprise? Recall the pool when Engstrom was hired....

By the time he was hired???? A pool of 1, and it was a wading pool.....

Back