• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Main Hall Prospect

Obviously an interesting candidate, clearly not the standard candidate. I'd have a couple questions for him; first, what was his final rank in the Army, did he leave as a major? If so why? Was he a line or staff officer? What units did he lead?; Second, at GE how did he personally drive a 10% increase in external orders?, might some other folks have something to do with this performance?

Charles Ambrose, president of Central Missouri University, is a strong candidate, in my opinion. He's had similar experience at CMU as at UM, and has succeeded in solving university problems. Best of all, he has a clear vision of what UM has been, is, and could be.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/charles-ambrose-is-ready-to-lead-a-flagship-the-university/article_de162e00-1fb6-5428-825a-4e13508a038e.html

Grizzoola said:
Charles Ambrose, president of Central Missouri University, is a strong candidate, in my opinion. He's had similar experience at CMU as at UM, and has succeeded in solving university problems. Best of all, he has a clear vision of what UM has been, is, and could be.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/charles-ambrose-is-ready-to-lead-a-flagship-the-university/article_de162e00-1fb6-5428-825a-4e13508a038e.html

I have to agree. A university is whole bunch different than board room OR the military. You can't just say it and have it happen and the buck never stops moving..........

Poor dude doesn't stand a chance. Too bad. MSLA will never hire big business in army boots; guy probably doesn't even own loafers and would punch you in the face if you ask.

Hey, he's my choice also. Colleges (every where) are going to go through some restructuring to come into the 22nd century. I don't believe the old system of pipe smoking Eng. prof's running the school will continue (sorry had to pick on someone). What he brings is a diversity of talent, local roots and desire to stay here, not to use it as a spring board.

The only take away is that his wife is a bobcat

tnt said:
Grizzoola said:

I have to agree. A university is whole bunch different than board room OR the military. You can't just say it and have it happen and the buck never stops moving..........

Sure, bring in an academic, former provost and professor like Engstrom, who was well known, and he goofs up virtually every decision at UM. Academics generally don't know how to run anything.

It's time to get in an energetic leader, something who is used to running things, setting goals, and getting stuff done.

PlayerRep said:
Sure, bring in an academic, former provost and professor like Engstrom, who was well known, and he goofs up virtually every decision at UM. Academics generally don't know how to run anything.

It's time to get in an energetic leader, something who is used to running things, setting goals, and getting stuff done.

yeah, for instance look at the crap job the dartmouth president, an academic/mathematician, is doing.

in other words, i'm reading a lot of people here jumping to conclusions about the ability of academics to run universities based, it seems, solely on engstrom. maybe it is worth remembering that the griz football success everybody is pining for again happened under an academician - dennison, who was a historian.

argh! said:
on the one hand, he sounds like an interesting candidate. on the other, people who talk a lot about 'leadership', 'leadership training', 'leading dynamic teams', etc... typically are more sound-bite machines than real leaders. in my experience, real leaders get sh-t done, and don't waste a bunch of time talking about 'leadership'.
Exactly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very intriguing prospect. Seems like he is an outside of the box thinker who came along at a time when the University finds itself in dire need of out of the box thinking.

You know when the controversy over same sex vs. traditional marriage was going strong, with me coming down hard on the side of traditional marriage, I heard this comment in favor of same sex marriage: "look at the mess of things the traditional marriage philosophy has made of the institution of marriage". I was intellectually honest enough to think it was a very persuasive argument. I saw in this thread that there was concern he didn't have a Doctorate degree. I say in response to that, "look at what the egghead PhD concept has done for the place".

I think the single biggest critical need for UM is that someone who can chart a new course for the University in response to competition from MSU, as well as the demands created by the 21st century digital economy. UM needs some kind of new degree offerings in employable fields in a world scarcely recognizable to ours and our parent's generations.

I do know that when someone flatly declares one is qualified or not for a job based solely on academic credentials, a cold chill comes down my spine for the people in charge of making the decision.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

yeah, for instance look at the crap job the dartmouth president, an academic/mathematician, is doing.

in other words, i'm reading a lot of people here jumping to conclusions about the ability of academics to run universities based, it seems, solely on engstrom. maybe it is worth remembering that the griz football success everybody is pining for again happened under an academician - dennison, who was a historian.
Dennison was in no way an ideal president, albeit far more capable than Engstrom. He was a well-known control freak (often referred to as King George) and distorted University accounting systems for his personal agendas. His self-designed legacies were campus buildings, some that were needed and others that were not. The campus is now very overbuilt with its inherent cost burden and overcrowded appearance. He also used his control of the accounting to create a large deficit for the popular AD who he wanted out because he did not have him in his hip pocket.

Allezchat said:
argh! said:
on the one hand, he sounds like an interesting candidate. on the other, people who talk a lot about 'leadership', 'leadership training', 'leading dynamic teams', etc... typically are more sound-bite machines than real leaders. in my experience, real leaders get sh-t done, and don't waste a bunch of time talking about 'leadership'.
Exactly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oh, so he shouldn't tout his strengths, which have been proven out in the success he's had? Nice that you're pigeon-holing though with ridiculous phrases like "sound-byte machine." You don't achieve what he has without the ability to "get sh-t done." Ridiculous.

Just to be clear, I have no interest or other stake in his candidacy, other than I think he would do a great job steering this institution out of the muck.

mcg said:
Obviously an interesting candidate, clearly not the standard candidate. I'd have a couple questions for him; first, what was his final rank in the Army, did he leave as a major? If so why? Was he a line or staff officer? What units did he lead?; Second, at GE how did he personally drive a 10% increase in external orders?, might some other folks have something to do with this performance?

Of course other people would have had a lot to do with your successes, i.e. your "teams." I'm imagining that throughout the course of a multiple lengthy interview process, that's going to come up. What you see in the article is a glimpse of what's involved, obviously.

argh! said:
a lot of people here jumping to conclusions about the ability of academics to run universities based, it seems, solely on engstrom.

Not necessarily. At least not for me. All I'm saying is a departure from that paradigm could be a very good thing.

Instead of the same, old status-quo, which you seem to be happy with?

tnt said:
Grizzoola said:

tnt, did you read the article? He fully acknowledged that.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Dennison was in no way an ideal president, albeit far more capable than Engstrom. He was a well-known control freak (often referred to as King George) and distorted University accounting systems for his personal agendas. His self-designed legacies were campus buildings, some that were needed and others that were not. The campus is now very overbuilt with its inherent cost burden and overcrowded appearance. He also used his control of the accounting to create a large deficit for the popular AD who he wanted out because he did not have him in his hip pocket.

Exactly. Great post. Remember also that Dennison was president during pretty good economic times. One would hope the University would prosper during that time.

I think the guy sounds like a good candidate. Which makes me believe he has no shot. I think UM hires the female candidate.

grizpack said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Exactly. Great post. Remember also that Dennison was president during pretty good economic times. One would hope the University would prosper during that time.

I think the guy sounds like a good candidate. Which makes me believe he has no shot. I think UM hires the female candidate.

To me, the female candidate appears to be the Board of Regents attempt at finding another Waded Cruzado to match MSU's dynamic leader. There are many similarities in their backgrounds.

CFallsGriz said:
tnt said:
Grizzoola said:

tnt, did you read the article? He fully acknowledged that.

Trump acknowledged it too, but living with it and dealing with it are two different things. As far as reading the article I did. His reume is bloated. Understand he has NO "command experience." A major Serves as primary Staff Officer for brigade and task force command meaning he carries out others work basically a gopher. Thats where most career officers top out. His GE experience as a "director" was at the same level. He was NOT the decision maker at any time. The academic equivalent would be a Vice president of XXX or at best Chancellor. This would be his first "command position" Not saying he wouldn't be good, just that the state of things now doesn't allow for an OJT president. Charles Ambrose on the other hand has proven himself in the job and dealing with the same issues UM is facing.

Latest posts

Back