• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Main Hall Prospect

CFallsGriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:
maroonandsilver said:
He married a Bobcat. His judgement is obviously suspect.

Gross, thats one thing i take pride in, i'm griz alum and my wife is a griz alum and in our house we hate the cats as a family around the dinner table.

Was Intro to College Writing still a requirement when you went through? ;)

All kidding aside, that will obviously not be something the committee takes into consideration. :thumb:

Sorry, I was typing on my phone.

fanofzoo said:
go96griz said:
I really like this candidate and have always felt that a public university should be run more like a private business. The Board of Regents can't afford to screw up this hire so my bet is they make a safe hire and this may be too controversial for all those on campus due to his non-traditional background.

The Missoulian and Keila Szpaller have done a great job on these candidate profiles. I would encourage you to read all of them.

Seth Bodnar:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/seth-bodnar-driven-by-service-believes-in-education-s-ability/article_7692700d-3b77-526c-90b3-e028e9bc1ea8.html

Charles Ambrose:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/charles-ambrose-is-ready-to-lead-a-flagship-the-university/article_de162e00-1fb6-5428-825a-4e13508a038e.html

Mirta Martin:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/president-finalist-mirta-martin-believes-in-higher-education-university-of/article_f6926150-70b5-54b6-9b82-f949ece58725.html

I believe if you read the article he states that the U is not a business and shouldn't be run like one.

There's obviously a gray area, somewhere in between nepotistic bureaucracy and corrupt multi-national. Of course you don't run a university exactly like a business, but certainly it can be more business-like than it has been in the recent past.

The_Real_Chief said:
CFallsGriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:
maroonandsilver said:
He married a Bobcat. His judgement is obviously suspect.

Gross, thats one thing i take pride in, i'm griz alum and my wife is a griz alum and in our house we hate the cats as a family around the dinner table.

Was Intro to College Writing still a requirement when you went through? ;)

All kidding aside, that will obviously not be something the committee takes into consideration. :thumb:

Sorry, I was typing on my phone.

Dude, just breaking balls... :p

I like the fact that he was a D-1 Athlete. That shouldn't be a driving force, but I think it will help that someone knows the importance of athletics to a university. Even if it is one of the academies.

The decision should be a no-brainer. This guys is a breath of fresh air, young, energetic and not willing to fail. Hopefully he is the choice.

grizpack said:
I like the fact that he was a D-1 Athlete. That shouldn't be a driving force, but I think it will help that someone knows the importance of athletics to a university. Especially if it is one of the academies.

FIFY.

SoldierGriz said:
grizpack said:
I like the fact that he was a D-1 Athlete. That shouldn't be a driving force, but I think it will help that someone knows the importance of athletics to a university. Especially if it is one of the academies.

FIFY.

:thumb:

CFallsGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
go96griz said:
I really like this candidate and have always felt that a public university should be run more like a private business. The Board of Regents can't afford to screw up this hire so my bet is they make a safe hire and this may be too controversial for all those on campus due to his non-traditional background.

The Missoulian and Keila Szpaller have done a great job on these candidate profiles. I would encourage you to read all of them.

Seth Bodnar:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/seth-bodnar-driven-by-service-believes-in-education-s-ability/article_7692700d-3b77-526c-90b3-e028e9bc1ea8.html

Charles Ambrose:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/charles-ambrose-is-ready-to-lead-a-flagship-the-university/article_de162e00-1fb6-5428-825a-4e13508a038e.html

Mirta Martin:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/president-finalist-mirta-martin-believes-in-higher-education-university-of/article_f6926150-70b5-54b6-9b82-f949ece58725.html

I believe if you read the article he states that the U is not a business and shouldn't be run like one.

There's obviously a gray area, somewhere in between nepotistic bureaucracy and corrupt multi-national, and that's the target. Of course you don't run a university exactly like a business, but certainly it can be more business-like than it has been in the recent past.

Yes fanofzoo, I did read the article. I agree with cfallsgriz that there is a gray area. While a university isn't exactly a normal business, you can still make common sense business decisions. For example, UM currently has over 80% of its expense tied to personnel. I think you can apply some real-world business understanding to that and recognize that that model isn't sustainable, particularly with declining enrollment. Some tough business decisions are in UM's near future. A little business savvy may be just what the doctor ordered.

grizd said:
The decision should be a no-brainer. This guys is a breath of fresh air, young, energetic and not willing to fail. Hopefully he is the choice.

I don't think he will be. Given past decisions that the BOR has made, they will err conservative and hire someone with a PhD and an academic. Hiring this guy should be a no brainer, but it's more likely that his lack of academic experience will be his ultimate downfall in this process. That the faculty is wary of him already is telling to me. Not saying it's bad, just that he is not "one of them." It is entirely possible that his military background is a big detriment in the liberal environment of the college campus and established academics might find that intimidating. Especially where he served and that General Patreus is one of his references.

I don't agree with that sentiment and feel that the President of a University is more of a CEO position rather than an academic one. While his job does entail a focus on academic excellence, he is also in charge of growing the institution and promoting it. Our last academic President failed spectacularly in that regard. His military and leadership record is second to none. That strong leadership is exactly what the university needs!

PDXGrizzly said:
grizd said:

I don't think he will be. Given past decisions that the BOR has made, they will err conservative and hire someone with a PhD and an academic. Hiring this guy should be a no brainer, but it's more likely that his lack of academic experience will be his ultimate downfall in this process. That the faculty is wary of him already is telling to me. Not saying it's bad, just that he is not "one of them." It is entirely possible that his military background is a big detriment in the liberal environment of the college campus and established academics might find that intimidating. Especially where he served and that General Patreus is one of his references.

I don't agree with that sentiment and feel that the President of a University is more of a CEO position rather than an academic one. While his job does entail a focus on academic excellence, he is also in charge of growing the institution and promoting it. Our last academic President failed spectacularly in that regard. His military and leadership record is second to none. That strong leadership is exactly what the university needs!

They bucked that trend when hiring the higher ed commish. He has a bachelors degree and owns a Missoula title company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg said:
PDXGrizzly said:
grizd said:

They bucked that trend when hiring the higher ed commish. He has a bachelors degree and owns a Missoula title company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot about that one... hopefully he helps.

go96griz said:
CFallsGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
go96griz said:

Seth Bodnar:

Charles Ambrose:

Mirta Martin:

There's obviously a gray area, somewhere in between nepotistic bureaucracy and corrupt multi-national, and that's the target. Of course you don't run a university exactly like a business, but certainly it can be more business-like than it has been in the recent past.

Yes fanofzoo, I did read the article. I agree with cfallsgriz that there is a gray area. While a university isn't exactly a normal business, you can still make common sense business decisions. For example, UM currently has over 80% of its expense tied to personnel. I think you can apply some real-world business understanding to that and recognize that that model isn't sustainable, particularly with declining enrollment. Some tough business decisions are in UM's near future. A little business savvy may be just what the doctor ordered.

Like having tenured professors teaching on University time and doing their next textbook/Journal of Fat Cat Prof paper research and writing on their own time? Dialing back generous health/dental/insurance/retirement benefits not available to the majority of taxpayers who help pay these salaries? Return to the model when average salaries coupled with quality of life and outdoor activity resources were enough to attract top flight educators to UM?

CFallsGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
go96griz said:

Seth Bodnar:

Charles Ambrose:

Mirta Martin:

There's obviously a gray area, somewhere in between nepotistic bureaucracy and corrupt multi-national. Of course you don't run a university exactly like a business, but certainly it can be more business-like than it has been in the recent past.
Like marketing the product, like adjusting curricula to today's demand, like streamlining costs to keep tuition down, like tuning research programs to attract grants, like recognizing the University is currently overbuilt for its enrollment and developing a plan to grow out of the problem. We have already seen what a pure academic does with these issues.

kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
go96griz said:

Seth Bodnar:

Charles Ambrose:

Mirta Martin:

Like marketing the product, like adjusting curricula to today's demand, like streamlining costs to keep tuition down, like tuning research programs to attract grants, like recognizing the University is currently overbuilt for its enrollment and developing a plan to grow out of the problem. We have already seen what a pure academic does with these issues.

Correct on all accounts. It is not exactly like a business, but that's the portion of the campus lacking. Not the academic research grants. If the new President addresses what Kem laid out they would be wildly successful and UM would be healthy.

on the one hand, he sounds like an interesting candidate. on the other, people who talk a lot about 'leadership', 'leadership training', 'leading dynamic teams', etc... typically are more sound-bite machines than real leaders. in my experience, real leaders get sh-t done, and don't waste a bunch of time talking about 'leadership'.

Back