• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz fall camp depth chart is out

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
At the tops of the depth chart

2/6 seniors @ offensive skill positions

4/5 seniors on the OL

2/4 seniors on the DL

2/3 seniors as LBs

2/4 seniors @ defensive skill positions

In total, 12/22 top positions are seniors. 6 of those top spots are occupied by sophomores. A lot can change, and there are a few freshmen waiting to come in. But this doesn't seem like a roster that's too young, but still doesn't quite have a lot of experience.

Probably my biggest takeaway from this depth chart is it looks like the defense is going to come out of mostly 4-3 packages. That and our O-Line, led by Cooper Sprunk's Swanson 'Stache, will probably be our best performing position group.

You think one of the "biggest takeaways" from this piece of paper is the Griz O-Line is going to be the best performing position group?

griz5700 said:
Every WR position other than JLM should be a battle too. Way too many drops last year and this spring for guys to feel comfortable. Curran especially has to clean up the drops.

Easily catchable balls must be caught in this offense. Stitt has to hold these guys accountable. With QB unknown, WR play must take a giant leap from 2016.
Curran might be the most intriguing player to watch this season.

I agree that he was frustrating to watch at times last season. He looked great against weaker teams, but struggled in the bigger games. Brint says he looks like he's taken steps forward since the end of the season.

I think Curran could play a huge role as a leader of the WR corps. Seems to be a high quality guy, and he's got the most experience of the group aside from Horner. If the consistency side comes together for him this season, he could be a real force for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griz5700 said:
I agree that he was frustrating to watch at times last season. He looked great against weaker teams, but struggled in the bigger games.

I think that's indicative of talent level more than anything. My hope is that he cleans it up or we find someone with potential for the future. This isn't a now or never situation.

brewskis said:
griz5700 said:
Every WR position other than JLM should be a battle too. Way too many drops last year and this spring for guys to feel comfortable. Curran especially has to clean up the drops.

Easily catchable balls must be caught in this offense. Stitt has to hold these guys accountable. With QB unknown, WR play must take a giant leap from 2016.

I agree that he was frustrating to watch at times last season. He looked great against weaker teams, but struggled in the bigger games. Brint says he looks like he's taken steps forward since the end of the season.

I think Curran could play a huge role as a leader of the WR corps. Seems to be a high quality guy, and he's got the most experience of the group aside from Horner. If the consistency side comes together for him this season, he could be a real force for us.

Expectations are high for Curran. He is one of the guys who needs to step up his game, which he has the talent to do.

brewskis said:
griz5700 said:

I see a huge season ahead for Curran. He's got the confidence to go with his skill to hopefully even out the peaks and valleys of his game. He also appears to be one of the leaders of the WR corps and is really embracing the role.

My nephew and his buddy, who play at the AFA, knew Curran and really liked him. Thought he was very athletic and talented.

alabamagrizzly said:
I know a lot can possibly change through fall camp but in all honesty, there's only really one position battle going into fall camp but it's a biggie. I know Reese has a slight edge due to being a Sr but Hill really could make a push in Aug.

As far as the tackle battle goes, I see Jackson really making a push for that spot. Sure Ralston's a Sr but he's essentially played tackle only last year, and not the whole year if I remember correctly. Thayne's been playing O line his whole life I'm guessing and was a very talented recruit. Maybe not by Sept 2, but probably by Oct I see Thayne starting.

As far as the long snapper is concerned, this is a Stitt run team and he don't care about special teams. Jokes aside though, this one is wide open. The two Fr were brought in specifically as long snappers but Gage probably has the edge. I know one thing, these three better be practicing in game type situations everyday as much as possible.

If you listen to Stitt's recent interview at the Big Sky Meetings, it is clear that Phillips is still the guy. He says the other two are pushing him, but he states because of his SEC experience that going into Washington he's our qb. He also clarifies that during the scrimmages, and spring game - each qb shined in a different game.

Based on that interview, the job belongs to Phillips - and clearly is his to lose.

ordigger said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I know a lot can possibly change through fall camp but in all honesty, there's only really one position battle going into fall camp but it's a biggie. I know Reese has a slight edge due to being a Sr but Hill really could make a push in Aug.

As far as the tackle battle goes, I see Jackson really making a push for that spot. Sure Ralston's a Sr but he's essentially played tackle only last year, and not the whole year if I remember correctly. Thayne's been playing O line his whole life I'm guessing and was a very talented recruit. Maybe not by Sept 2, but probably by Oct I see Thayne starting.

As far as the long snapper is concerned, this is a Stitt run team and he don't care about special teams. Jokes aside though, this one is wide open. The two Fr were brought in specifically as long snappers but Gage probably has the edge. I know one thing, these three better be practicing in game type situations everyday as much as possible.

If you listen to Stitt's recent interview at the Big Sky Meetings, it is clear that Phillips is still the guy. He says the other two are pushing him, but he states because of his SEC experience that going into Washington he's our qb. He also clarifies that during the scrimmages, and spring game - each qb shined in a different game.

Based on that interview, the job belongs to Phillips - and clearly is his to lose.
I could see him losing it. I think he's got some good qualities, but he's going to have to play well to keep Hill off field.

It does not look to me like the player weight's (as related to O and D lines) have been updated from the spring roster on the depth chart but was not sure about that. Anybody know for sure???

I would assume that would be updated the first week of fall camp.

84GRIZ said:
It does not look to me like the player weight's (as related to O and D lines) have been updated from the spring roster on the depth chart but was not sure about that. Anybody know for sure???

I would assume that would be updated the first week of fall camp.

They usually update height and weight sometime after players are measured at the beginning of camp. This year I believe player reporting is August 6th. Hopefully the site will be updated a week or two after this.

Mavman said:
Why Is Lyons not listed???? Sorry if I missed a post explaining why.

No longer on the roster. It's been mentioned in a thread prior, but I don't think anyone has posited a reason.

My concern is not talent, but depth on both lines. There certainly does not appeear to be alot of game experience in those listed 2's & 3's. We are in better shape in the skill positions, particularly offensively, (exception might be QB).
We all know that both lines need to show improvement. I'm just concerned that one or two line injuries, particularly early on could be disastrous.

Vika vs Strahm suddenly looks a lot more competitive. What are the chances Vika plays so well that he doesn't give Strahm his job back?

StumptownGriz said:
Vika vs Strahm suddenly looks a lot more competitive. What are the chances Vika plays so well that he doesn't give Strahm his job back?

Vika is a beast. The more he is on the field, the better. But this staff would never play a talented R-So over a R-Sr.
Yamen Sanders for example...

StumptownGriz said:

It's never good to let a backup get into your spot. In this situation, I assume that Vika will get most of the no. 1 reps in pre-season practice too, to get him ready for the first game. I had been told that Strahm had a good shot at being a captain, before the recent incident.

griz5700 said:
StumptownGriz said:

Vika is a beast. The more he is on the field, the better. But this staff would never play a talented R-So over a R-Sr.

That move still haunts me. Then Yamen admits post season he was hurt all year long. And our staff still went with him. That was a very poor decision. It's the only time I've had major pause with this staff.

HookedonGriz said:
griz5700 said:
StumptownGriz said:

That move still haunts me. Then Yamen admits post season he was hurt all year long. And our staff still went with him. That was a very poor decision. It's the only time I've had major pause with this staff.
Agreed. That cost us W's

PlayerRep said:
StumptownGriz said:

It's never good to let a backup get into your spot. In this situation, I assume that Vika will get most of the no. 1 reps in pre-season practice too, to get him ready for the first game. I had been told that Strahm had a good shot at being a captain, before the recent incident.

Great point there PR, this will be HUGE.

Back