• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

...griz/cat game thread...

Have to confess that I've had some superstitious notions about Montana playing in the brick. I've seen so many games implode (like last season). But prior to this game, I noticed that KenPom had Montana as a 7-point favorite. Checked out Haslametrics, which had the Griz winning by 17. I thought that'd be almost impossible.

I'm quite impressed with the ice cool demeanor of the Griz in the brick tonight. Go Griz.

Kenpom now has the Griz ranked at 83, Sagarin has em at 113, and Haslametrics has them at 58 and seeded as a first round 13 seed.

grizzlyjournal said:
Half to confess that I've had some superstitious notions about Montana playing in the brick. I've seen so many games implode (like last season). But prior to this game, I noticed that KenPom had Montana as a 7-point favorite. Checked out Haslametrics, which had the Griz winning by 17. I thought that'd be almost impossible.

I'm quite impressed with the ice cool demeanor of the Griz in the brick tonight. Go Griz.

Kenpom now has the Griz ranked at 83, Sagarin has em at 113, and Haslametrics has them at 58 and seeded as a first round 13 seed.

WOW! That is some impressive stuff. It’s been along time since I’ve been excited about basketball.

cmtgrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Riley Corcoran just noted on the halftime show that Moorehead (defending Hall) and Rorie (defending Frey) held the two leading Bobcat scorers to zero field goals total in the second half.That's in addition to holding the entire Bobcat team to four total field goals in the second half, a total of 19 second-half points.

That is really impressive. Moorehead has always been a good defender as has Rorie. Anyone know how many rebounds Moorehead had?

Bobby Moorehead: 10 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists (1 turnover), 1 block, 2 steals & 34 minutes played.

grizzlyjournal said:
cmtgrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Riley Corcoran just noted on the halftime show that Moorehead (defending Hall) and Rorie (defending Frey) held the two leading Bobcat scorers to zero field goals total in the second half.That's in addition to holding the entire Bobcat team to four total field goals in the second half, a total of 19 second-half points.

That is really impressive. Moorehead has always been a good defender as has Rorie. Anyone know how many rebounds Moorehead had?

Bobby Moorehead: 10 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists (1 turnover), 1 block, 2 steals & 34 minutes played.

Thanks! Also 2-3 dives on the ground for loose balls. Doing the dirty work of winning. Every team that wins anything has them. Thanks Bobby!

Just got back from the game. The Griz had a tough first half, battled some poor officiating, turned the ball over, played like crap and still went into half tied up. That is when I knew they would come out and win by 10 or more.

If there is a Jedi master at half time adjustments it's coach Decuire. Seriously look at the last few games when they were behind or tied at half and the second half is a different team. He is not going to be our head coach for too long fellas, he's way too good and he's way too smart. We need to enjoy the ride.

His adjustments completely shut down the Cats offense and Hall and Frey in the second half. Frey had 13 at half and didn't score again. Hall had 7 -'s ended up with I beleive 10. Dominant. The refs were up to their usual crap show too, having the Griz at 7 fouls with 15 mins left and 10 fouls and double bonus with 10 mins left. Without that the Griz win by 20.

grizzlyjournal said:
FUN! Go Griz!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/954929038195228672[/tweet]

Proud of these guys for the win and for their apparent understanding of the rivalry as evidenced in their joy in winning the game.

Thanks to the Cat fans for the loud, energetic and probably at least somewhat hostile environment. Hopefully we do the same.

UofMGrizFan said:
Timmy Falls is showing some freshman jitters. Griz will need him to calm down a little. Dude's way to good to not light up the scats.
Are you shitting me? Falls played a great game tonight

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Rorie did not show up to play, 5- 15 and only 11 pts. ouch
Except he played great defensively and helped run our offense. That doesn't count though, right

I went to the game. There was a large crowd that wanted to get into it but the Griz didn’t let them. Cats started off well and after Hall's first three the crowd was ready to roll but the Griz D wouldn't let them get untracked.

As many of you have noted, yes, the flops were evident. I'm glad the refs weren't buying the cats' weak shit. And despite what some of you were saying, I think the Griz were on the receiving end of many favorable calls. More that the Cats were.

Akoh doesn’t put up with any shit and I love it. Multiple times after a cat flop he let’s the pussies know what he thinks about their weak shit.

You can tell that Fray and Hall feel the need to carry their team and for good reason. There isn’t a player outside of them that is reliable or can carry the team.

Bobby was unquestionably the player of the game. The D that he was laying out on Hall was remarkable. He may not make as many 3's as we want but he is so good on D and the boards that any shot he makes is a bonus. He is all effort. Bobby, keep shooting. Don't think, just shoot.

This game shouldn't have been as close as it was at all. Had we made some of the bunnies we missed or some of the open 3s, we would have won by over 20.

This team's identity is D. They know there is no excuse for them to not play hard D all game every game and it carries them all the time. They don't have to rely on one person to carry them each night. What a treat to watch.

PeauxRouge said:
I went to the game. There was a large crowd that wanted to get into it but the Griz didn’t let them. Cats started off well and after Hall's first three the crowd was ready to roll but the Griz D wouldn't let them get untracked.

As many of you have noted, yes, the flops were evident. I'm glad the refs weren't buying the cats' weak shit. And despite what some of you were saying, I think the Griz were on the receiving end of many favorable calls. More that the Cats were.

Akoh doesn’t put up with any shit and I love it. Multiple times after a cat flop he let’s the pussies know what he thinks about their weak shit.

You can tell that Fray and Hall feel the need to carry their team and for good reason. There isn’t a player outside of them that is reliable or can carry the team.

Bobby was unquestionably the player of the game. The D that he was laying out on Hall was remarkable. He may not make as many 3's as we want but he is so good on D and the boards that any shot he makes is a bonus. He is all effort. Bobby, keep shooting. Don't think, just shoot.

This game shouldn't have been as close as it was at all. Had we made some of the bunnies we missed or some of the open 3s, we would have won by over 20.

This team's identity is D. They know there is no excuse for them to not play hard D all game every game and it carries them all the time. They don't have to rely on one person to carry them each night. What a treat to watch.

All that sounds about right. Now, the season is going to get a little tougher, after the next two home games which should be UM wins, but UM has their toughest conference road games coming up. Fun season, for a change. DeCuire's teams are fun to watch.

casewinter13 said:
UofMGrizFan said:
Timmy Falls is showing some freshman jitters. Griz will need him to calm down a little. Dude's way to good to not light up the scats.
Are you shitting me? Falls played a great game tonight

I thought Falls Played a real good game. He hit a nice 3 and he did one of his behind the back passes. Timmys foul
count was up because he was playing good defense. He found some open guys on passes, but they couldn’t hit the shot.

Suffocating 2nd half defense leads Griz past Bobcats
https://skylinesportsmt.com/suffocating-2nd-half-defense-leads-griz-past-bobcats/

Cat-Griz press conference: Montana men 67, Montana State 52
https://skylinesportsmt.com/cat-griz-press-conference-montana-men-67-montana-state-52/

Random stuff:

Simply have to love this team. They didn't play their best basketball, especially in the first half. But they have 100% bought in. When you can defend like that, well, you'll be 5-0 on the road.

It's been mentioned by a few others in this thread, but Bobby M is the glue of this team. His sophomore shooting slump has continued into his junior year to some degree, but he does EVERYTHING else to help his team win. Defend, rebound, busts his ass, gets assists, busts his ass, busts his ass.

TDC is a master.

Kudos to the cats. Great crowd, great atmosphere, and they played well the first 20 minutes until they ran into a defensive buzz saw. They also found more backdoor opportunities against our high hedge than we've seen all year. But they need to get more lanterns in that barn. It's SERIOUSLY dark in there.

Hall and Frey start shooting while they're still in the parking lot.

I worry about Fish's well being.

The only GRIZ weakness may be their jump shooting.

It's a great day to be a GRIZZLY!

EverettGriz said:
Random stuff:

Simply have to love this team. They didn't play their best basketball, especially in the first half. But they have 100% bought in. When you can defend like that, well, you'll be 5-0 on the road.

It's been mentioned by a few others in this thread, but Bobby M is the glue of this team. His sophomore shooting slump has continued into his junior year to some degree, but he does EVERYTHING else to help his team win. Defend, rebound, busts his ass, gets assists, busts his ass, busts his ass.

TDC is a master.

Kudos to the cats. Great crowd, great atmosphere, and they played well the first 20 minutes until they ran into a defensive buzz saw. They also found more backdoor opportunities against our high hedge than we've seen all year. But they need to get more lanterns in that barn. It's SERIOUSLY dark in there.

Hall and Frey start shooting while they're still in the parking lot.

I worry about Fish's well being.

The only GRIZ weakness may be their jump shooting.

It's a great day to be a GRIZZLY!

Moorehead may not be the best pure defender (Oguine is), but the construction of this team, he is the most valuable defender. Oguine and Rorie mean too much to the offense to consistently have to defend the best offensive players. I also like what Pridgett and Nicholas for defensive versatility. Nicholas will be a defensive beast, once he consistently knows his responsibiities and teammates.

As for the Cats finding backdoor opportunities, I've commented several times that I felt the GRIZ defense could be beat with backdoors. This defense needs to be careful, if they face a Power 5 team in the NCAA Tournament (if we make it). Power 5 teams have the skills and athleticism to execute high flying alley oops againt our defense. Nicholas may be very valuable against teams like that. He has much more athleticism than Krslovic does against teams like that.

I hope the GRIZ can find their perimeter game. We will need it come the confernece tournament adn postseason play.

Back