• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

For Those Who Will Be Unhappy With Stitt as Coach

NLGrizFan said:
I'm sure I've probably made a few enemies over the past few days with a few of my cocky posts. But I rely on facts. In everything I do. And it's very irritating to me when someone follows me from thread to thread just to talk smack. I have found it very difficult to believe anyone on the board over the past couple weeks. It's turned into the BIGGEST rumor mill I've ever seen. I'm not gonna call anyone out but absolutely nothing has came to pass as fact. Nothing over the past couple weeks. Nothing. But yet there are still people on here jumping in your face with Rumors. If Stitt is our guy, fine. But I want it from the U. Not someone without a face on a fan forum that has generated nothing but false info.

You mean like speculating on a plane ticket bought by someone at UNLV to Hawaii after Hauck was fired, then correlating that to a transfer QB (which hasn't been confirmed by anyone than a random poster on eGriz) and linking it to a Hauck hire. Yeah, definitely facts.

MrTitleist said:
NLGrizFan said:
I'm sure I've probably made a few enemies over the past few days with a few of my cocky posts. But I rely on facts. In everything I do. And it's very irritating to me when someone follows me from thread to thread just to talk smack. I have found it very difficult to believe anyone on the board over the past couple weeks. It's turned into the BIGGEST rumor mill I've ever seen. I'm not gonna call anyone out but absolutely nothing has came to pass as fact. Nothing over the past couple weeks. Nothing. But yet there are still people on here jumping in your face with Rumors. If Stitt is our guy, fine. But I want it from the U. Not someone without a face on a fan forum that has generated nothing but false info.

You mean like speculating on a plane ticket bought by someone at UNLV to Hawaii after Hauck was fired, then correlating that to a transfer QB (which hasn't been confirmed by anyone than a random poster on eGriz) and linking it to a Hauck hire. Yeah, definitely facts.
There was a plane ticket purchased from UNLV. There is a drop down QB showing up from Hawaii. Those are facts. I never said Hauck was directly involved. It's better than the news conference at 3 o'clock yesterday or one of the hundreds of other dead end leads posted over the past couple weeks.

NLGrizFan said:
MrTitleist said:
NLGrizFan said:

There was a plane ticket purchased from UNLV. There is a drop down QB showing up from Hawaii. Those are facts. I never said Hauck was directly involved. It's better than the news conference at 3 o'clock yesterday or one of the hundreds of other dead end leads posted over the past couple weeks.

then please explain the link between the plane ticket and the transfer QB?

What's not to be happy about a coach whose big selling point is a variation of a play used with success once by West Virginia in a bowl game?

Pitch the ball forward a foot or so on the "fly sweep" and it's easier to mesh with the receiver or an incomplete pass if you screw it up. Pure genius and innovation, the likes of which has never been seen in Washington Griz. The improved hand off. Pure genius.

I was with Hauck, until reading about Stitt a week ago. Completely in Stitt camp now!

This "I'll gladly admit I'm wrong" is complete bullshit. If you predict failure and he fails then all hail to you. If you predict he fails and he actually succeeds then fvck you. When you are making a bold prediction on very little real information, you have man up. Hero or zero. No "oh golly I was wrong and I'm glad that I was" puss out.

The people the Griz have hired for HC have had proven D1 experience or had proven HC experience. Who was their last hire that had both? Wasn't Delaney, or Pflugrad, or Hauck or Dennehy or even Read. And most of them did pretty darn well. I expect Stitt will too. Oh and if he fails I won't gladly admit I was wrong...

Grisly Fan said:
This "I'll gladly admit I'm wrong" is complete bullshit. If you predict failure and he fails then all hail to you. If you predict he fails and he actually succeeds then fvck you.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Go ahead and add me to the list. Nothing against the guy, but his resume just simply does not compare to bobby's or pease's. I don't care how you try to spin in. Sure he elevated a terrible program, but then it completely stalled for 10 years and never became great. The griz don't need someone to come in and rebuild to the level of good. I also don't buy the "new blood" movement. Our coaches have had strong griz ties for 30 years or so and not one of them has been a failure. Why go away from what works?

Don't get me wrong, I will support the guy 100% and hope he does great. I just think it is crazy for the griz to take a risk on a guy with an average to good resume when we had our pick of much higher qualified candidates. I am certainly excited to watch his offense. And if he keeps the current D staff I think we could do alright. Would have loved to have bobby as ST and head coach, Stitt as OC and Ty as DC (I know that's a huge stretch but I can dream).

jcu27 said:
get'em_griz said:
Again, people are not understanding that he did almost the impossible at CSM by transforming a team that was at one point one of the worst programs in DII into a pretty good one, and the school is extremely difficult to recruit to. A school like CSM is somewhat difficult to consistently win conference titles and succeed in the playoffs because the talent pool to recruit from is much smaller than the rest of the conference. His ability to develop players to their full potential to be competitive is exactly what we should want out of a head coach. If he could do that at CSM with a limited talent pool to recruit from, he'll excel at Montana in that regard.
It takes 15 years to coach up a program to 1st round playoff loses?

Bob Stitt (15 seasons) 108 - 62 (.635 winning percentage)
Versie Wallace (5 seasons) 11-41 (a robust .211 winning percentage)
Marvin Kay (26 seasons) 84-157 (.325 winning percentage)
Fritz Brennecke (22 seasons) 78-113 (.412 winning percentage)
John Mason (8 seasons) 23-25 (.480 winning percentage)

What you'll notice is that EACH coach prior to Stitt over the past 63 years had a worse winning percenrtage than the coach prior. Hell, they let a guy with a history of winning 3 games a YEAR stick around for 26 frigging seasons!

Stitt took a 1999 team that scored 100 points TOTAL in 10 games and scored 462 points two years later. He is the Don Read of CSM--took a moribund program and made them a consistent winner--despite having HUGE recruiting disadvantages. Take off THOSE shackles and I think he'll soar at Montana. :thumb: :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
get'em_griz said:
Again, people are not understanding that he did almost the impossible at CSM by transforming a team that was at one point one of the worst programs in DII into a pretty good one, and the school is extremely difficult to recruit to. A school like CSM is somewhat difficult to consistently win conference titles and succeed in the playoffs because the talent pool to recruit from is much smaller than the rest of the conference. His ability to develop players to their full potential to be competitive is exactly what we should want out of a head coach. If he could do that at CSM with a limited talent pool to recruit from, he'll excel at Montana in that regard.
It takes 15 years to coach up a program to 1st round playoff loses?

Bob Stitt (15 seasons) 108 - 62 (.635 winning percentage)
Versie Wallace (5 seasons) 11-41 (a robust .211 winning percentage)
Marvin Kay (26 seasons) 84-157 (.325 winning percentage)
Fritz Brennecke (22 seasons) 78-113 (.412 winning percentage)
John Mason (8 seasons) 23-25 (.480 winning percentage)

What you'll notice is that EACH coach prior to Stitt over the past 63 years had a worse winning percenrtage than the coach prior. Hell, they let a guy with a history of winning 3 games a YEAR stick around for 26 frigging seasons!

Stitt took a 1999 team that scored 100 points TOTAL in 10 games and scored 462 points two years later. He is the Don Read of CSM--took a moribund program and made them a consistent winner--despite having HUGE recruiting disadvantages. Take off THOSE shackles and I think he'll soar at Montana. :thumb: :thumb:

And, I presume his immersion in schools where academic performance matters will carry over as well. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see increasing APR/grad rates etc.

Win - Win - and Win some more.

grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
Really? Trying to figure out why I am so unimpressed.

He has a better record than Bobby...
Hardly. 80-17 (7 years) with 11 playoff wins at the FCS level solidly trumps 108-62 (15 years) with 1 playoff win at the DII level. Maybe BH was over his head in FBS; maybe Stitt will be over his head in FCS. It's a risk with which I'm not comfortable.

Bob Stitt 108-62
Bob Hauck 95-67

Might want to double check your math. Hauck was 95-66.

80-17 with the Griz. 15-49 with UNLV.

Potomac Griz said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
He has a better record than Bobby...
Hardly. 80-17 (7 years) with 11 playoff wins at the FCS level solidly trumps 108-62 (15 years) with 1 playoff win at the DII level. Maybe BH was over his head in FBS; maybe Stitt will be over his head in FCS. It's a risk with which I'm not comfortable.

Bob Stitt 108-62
Bob Hauck 95-67

Might want to double check your math. Hauck was 95-66.

80-17 with the Griz. 15-49 with UNLV.

Who thinks Stitt will be better than 80-17 with the Griz? What will be UM's record in the first 3 games? Tough start without a proven qb currently on the roster. If Stitt beats NDSU in the first game, everyone will love him.

What a first game Stitt gets to look forward to. ESPN opener, running out of the tunnel at Grizzly Stadium in front of 26,000 fans against what might be the 4 time national champions north dakota bison. That's intense!

Wasn't it Hauck's first game that we lost to NDSU, who at the time was D2? What do people who are arguing about Hauck's record compared to Stitt's record think Hauck would have done had he gone to Colorado Mines? Do you think he would have done any better than Stitt and made it to a few chippers or even won a chipper? I highly doubt it.

The whole argument that Hauck had better competition is a joke. Hauck would do no better than what Stitt did at Mines. The truth is that no one knows how a coach is going to turn out, but I really like what Stitt is bringing and I think he has a lot more potential than either Hauck or Pease. I like Hauck and would have been fine with him here but I think Stitt just seems to have that something extra, something special. Only time will tell.

Back