• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

For Those Who Will Be Unhappy With Stitt as Coach

NLGrizFan said:
I speak for myself when I say I want real proof that he can handle the DI level.
There's no "proof" that any of the candidates will succeed until the games are played. Everything is conjecture and prognosticating at this point

grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
Really? Trying to figure out why I am so unimpressed.

He has a better record than Bobby...
Hardly. 80-17 (7 years) with 11 playoff wins at the FCS level solidly trumps 108-62 (15 years) with 1 playoff win at the DII level. Maybe BH was over his head in FBS; maybe Stitt will be over his head in FCS. It's a risk with which I'm not comfortable.

Bob Stitt 108-62
Bob Hauck 95-67
BH coached against harder competition.. Why is that so hard to figure out..? And yes it does make a difference. Its almost like if we got a qb from D2. Lets say that qb has a winning record amd puts up a lot of points and throws for 4,000 yards a season. Does that mean he could do the same in a higher division? No. It'd be unrealistic. God people on egriz are mind numbing.

jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
He has a better record than Bobby...
Hardly. 80-17 (7 years) with 11 playoff wins at the FCS level solidly trumps 108-62 (15 years) with 1 playoff win at the DII level. Maybe BH was over his head in FBS; maybe Stitt will be over his head in FCS. It's a risk with which I'm not comfortable.

Bob Stitt 108-62
Bob Hauck 95-67
BH coached against harder competition.. Why is that so hard to figure out..? And yes it does make a difference. Its almost like if we got a qb from D2. Lets say that qb has a winning record amd puts up a lot of points and throws for 4,000 yards a season. Does that mean he could do the same in a higher division? No. It'd be unrealistic. God people on egriz are mind numbing.

you are comparing apples to oranges...there is not a single person here that would argue with your QB scenario...but playing and coaching are two completely different things. Also, to assume that a coach at the D2 level is not capable or as capable as a retread FBS coach to succeed at the FCS level is, stealing from Big G, poppycock....

kemajic said:
NLGrizFan said:
I wouldn't say raging morons. I speak for myself when I say I want real proof that he can handle the DI level. I've asked several questions and got no real answers. All we have are numbers from his DII level (of course). It's hard to be certain that it's the right move. But, I too, will admit when I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. This wouldn't be the last. I've watched videos of the Fly Sweep scheme and how it can is implemented into an offense. It looks solid. Looks. I just want wants best for Griz football. We spend a pretty good chunk of change driving across the state throughout the season to be at the games and it's very difficult to go watch them lose. Did it in 2012 and was not fun. Never the less, we will still go but man it's a long ride home.
This
I'm sure I've probably made a few enemies over the past few days with a few of my cocky posts. But I rely on facts. In everything I do. And it's very irritating to me when someone follows me from thread to thread just to talk smack. I have found it very difficult to believe anyone on the board over the past couple weeks. It's turned into the BIGGEST rumor mill I've ever seen. I'm not gonna call anyone out but absolutely nothing has came to pass as fact. Nothing over the past couple weeks. Nothing. But yet there are still people on here jumping in your face with Rumors. If Stitt is our guy, fine. But I want it from the U. Not someone without a face on a fan forum that has generated nothing but false info.

grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:

Bob Stitt 108-62
Bob Hauck 95-67

you are comparing apples to oranges...there is not a single person here that would argue with your QB scenario...but playing and coaching are two completely different things. Also, to assume that a coach at the D2 level is not capable or as capable as a retread FBS coach to succeed at the FCS level is, stealing from Big G, poppycock....
Pretty good comparison I think. The coach is coaching against better coaches with better players. And yes it would be better because obviously that coach was good enough to get an fbs job. If that person was qualified enough to be hired in the fbs said person definitely qualifies for an fcs job. A coach from a D2 program with little success definitely does not qualify. Poppycock! Pure poppycock!!

With Stitt as coach, I think the Griz will be a very good DII program. Bad decision for a program considering, even remotely, a 'move up.' Might just as well hire the guy from Glacier High. :lol:

Htowngriz said:
NLGrizFan said:
I wouldn't say raging morons. I speak for myself when I say I want real proof that he can handle the DI level. I've asked several questions and got no real answers. All we have are numbers from his DII level (of course). It's hard to be certain that it's the right move. But, I too, will admit when I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. This wouldn't be the last. I've watched videos of the Fly Sweep scheme and how it can is implemented into an offense. It looks solid. Looks. I just want wants best for Griz football. We spend a pretty good chunk of change driving across the state throughout the season to be at the games and it's very difficult to go watch them lose. Did it in 2012 and was not fun. Never the less, we will still go but man it's a long ride home.

We went undefeated at home this year with a guy in charge who wasn't a D-I head coach until age 70. Get a grip, please.
And 2-5 on the road. Just what we needed.

jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
Bob Stitt 108-62
Bob Hauck 95-67

Pretty good comparison I think. The coach is coaching against better coaches with better players. And yes it would be better because obviously that coach was good enough to get an fbs job. If that person was qualified enough to be hired in the fbs said person definitely qualifies for an fcs job. A coach from a D2 program with little success definitely does not qualify. Poppycock! Pure poppycock!!

the funny thing is that what level a coach is coaching at does not truly determine who is or is not a better coach...it only relays the perception...

I have not commented on this debate before, but I have read everything that has been posted for and against Coach Stitt. I find myself being worried about several things if indeed he is the new UM coach. Here are just a few.

1) Longevity -- While he has been at Colorado Mines for 15 years, that is no guarantee he will commit to being here for any extended period. As the saying goes, "Past performance is not representative of future results." While his tenure at Mines has been impressive it begs the question that if this man is as brilliant offensively as some tout, why hasn't he moved on? You can't tell me that in 15 years he hasn't had some better offers than the School of Mines. If he has turned those down why? Lack of confidence and/or lack of motivation? If on the off chance he has not had any offers, what are we missing that other administrators saw that would cause them not to offer.

Offensive Minded -- This is a Catch-22 if I ever saw one. Coach Stitt may be an offensive genius, but he is coming in to a situation where, with a couple of notable exceptions the present offense returns pretty much intact. If he comes in here trying to establish his system with the existing personnel, who have all been recruited for and trained for a completely different scheme there are going to be problems. These may be able to be resolved given time, but 2015 could be a gigantic cl***** f***. Another concern with regard to an offensive minded coach is how the other units on the team might fare? While there is really no reason why Defense or Special Teams should suffer, past history often indicates that they may. One area this occurs in is recruiting.

Recruiting -- This category seems completely untested with Coach Stitt. He has been hampered by the strict requirements of the institution he serves which has been both a blessing and a curse. Recruiting on this level however will be a completely different animal than Coach Stitt has experienced. He may be able to open up some new area's for recruiting but so would any other candidate. We will still need to recruit against the Pac-12, the MWC and the BSC in the West and equally as stiff competition in the rest of the country. A concern here is what contacts he has in Montana for recruiting purposes.

Coach Hiring/Retention -- Whenever you are hiring a new coach, particularly one from a lower division the question arises how he will go about rounding out his staff. I've read the post's about who will be, who should be and who won't be retained from the current staff. But I question whether this will play out as advertised. I have no doubt that Coach Stitt will want to have the ability to hire people who he is familiar with and who may have worked with him in the past. When it is suggested that he has agreed to keep Ty on as DC or someone else as recruiting coordinator as part of the agreement I have a concern about that. While the idea seems good on paper we have no idea how these various personalities will gel. Regardless of the criticism's of the coaching the past 3 years there has been precious little noted regarding internal conflicts with the staff. The quickest way to go from 10-5 to 5-8 is dissension in the coaching ranks. The other concern here is with regard to the question of whether or not the coaches Stitt brings in are ready for the challenge at the D-1 level? He may well be, but what about them?

Overall record -- At the School of Mines he is 108-62 all time, 83-44 in conference with only three conference titles in 15 years. While he has a winning record, I certainly would have liked to see more conference championships. In addition his history in the post-season is 0-3 including a first round loss this year. While his record is acceptable it is by no means stellar! Personally, 3 conference championships in 15 years suggests to me more mediocrity than success.

While I wish him well and will support the team and the coach whoever it may be, I remain unconvinced that Bob Stitt is the best choice for UM. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

grizindabox said:
the funny thing is that what level a coach is coaching at does not truly determine who is or is not a better coach...it only relays the perception...
Ah yes that perception thing. Perception is UM is taking the path of least resistance.

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Ah yes that perception thing. Perception is UM is taking the path of least resistance.

From what perspective? It is abundantly clear that from a fan and program supporter standpoint that is not the case, there seems to be quite a bit of pushback...

Gaeilge1 said:
I have not commented on this debate before, but I have read everything that has been posted for and against Coach Stitt. I find myself being worried about several things if indeed he is the new UM coach. Here are just a few.

1) Longevity -- While he has been at Colorado Mines for 15 years, that is no guarantee he will commit to being here for any extended period. As the saying goes, "Past performance is not representative of future results." While his tenure at Mines has been impressive it begs the question that if this man is as brilliant offensively as some tout, why hasn't he moved on? You can't tell me that in 15 years he hasn't had some better offers than the School of Mines. If he has turned those down why? Lack of confidence and/or lack of motivation? If on the off chance he has not had any offers, what are we missing that other administrators saw that would cause them not to offer.

Offensive Minded -- This is a Catch-22 if I ever saw one. Coach Stitt may be an offensive genius, but he is coming in to a situation where, with a couple of notable exceptions the present offense returns pretty much intact. If he comes in here trying to establish his system with the existing personnel, who have all been recruited for and trained for a completely different scheme there are going to be problems. These may be able to be resolved given time, but 2015 could be a gigantic cl***** f***. Another concern with regard to an offensive minded coach is how the other units on the team might fare? While there is really no reason why Defense or Special Teams should suffer, past history often indicates that they may. One area this occurs in is recruiting.

Recruiting -- This category seems completely untested with Coach Stitt. He has been hampered by the strict requirements of the institution he serves which has been both a blessing and a curse. Recruiting on this level however will be a completely different animal than Coach Stitt has experienced. He may be able to open up some new area's for recruiting but so would any other candidate. We will still need to recruit against the Pac-12, the MWC and the BSC in the West and equally as stiff competition in the rest of the country. A concern here is what contacts he has in Montana for recruiting purposes.

Coach Hiring/Retention -- Whenever you are hiring a new coach, particularly one from a lower division the question arises how he will go about rounding out his staff. I've read the post's about who will be, who should be and who won't be retained from the current staff. But I question whether this will play out as advertised. I have no doubt that Coach Stitt will want to have the ability to hire people who he is familiar with and who may have worked with him in the past. When it is suggested that he has agreed to keep Ty on as DC or someone else as recruiting coordinator as part of the agreement I have a concern about that. While the idea seems good on paper we have no idea how these various personalities will gel. Regardless of the criticism's of the coaching the past 3 years there has been precious little noted regarding internal conflicts with the staff. The quickest way to go from 10-5 to 5-8 is dissension in the coaching ranks. The other concern here is with regard to the question of whether or not the coaches Stitt brings in are ready for the challenge at the D-1 level? He may well be, but what about them?

Overall record -- At the School of Mines he is 108-62 all time, 83-44 in conference with only three conference titles in 15 years. While he has a winning record, I certainly would have liked to see more conference championships. In addition his history in the post-season is 0-3 including a first round loss this year. While his record is acceptable it is by no means stellar! Personally, 3 conference championships in 15 years suggests to me more mediocrity than success.

While I wish him well and will support the team and the coach whoever it may be, I remain unconvinced that Bob Stitt is the best choice for UM. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

Again, people are not understanding that he did almost the impossible at CSM by transforming a team that was at one point one of the worst programs in DII into a pretty good one, and the school is extremely difficult to recruit to. A school like CSM is somewhat difficult to consistently win conference titles and succeed in the playoffs because the talent pool to recruit from is much smaller than the rest of the conference. His ability to develop players to their full potential to be competitive is exactly what we should want out of a head coach. If he could do that at CSM with a limited talent pool to recruit from, he'll excel at Montana in that regard.

get'em_griz said:
Gaeilge1 said:

Again, people are not understanding that he did almost the impossible at CSM by transforming a team that was at one point one of the worst programs in DII into a pretty good one, and the school is extremely difficult to recruit to. A school like CSM is somewhat difficult to consistently win conference titles and succeed in the playoffs because the talent pool to recruit from is much smaller than the rest of the conference. His ability to develop players to their full potential to be competitive is exactly what we should want out of a head coach. If he could do that at CSM with a limited talent pool to recruit from, he'll excel at Montana in that regard.
It takes 15 years to coach up a program to 1st round playoff loses?

I agree Bobbie Hauk was a great coach at this level - no one can deny his record.

I would have been happy with that pick

But we all have to rally around the decision- we can't change it

I will hope for the best - we all should

EdG said:
I agree Bobbie Hauk was a great coach at this level - no one can deny his record.

I would have been happy with that pick

But we all have to rally around the decision- we can't change it

I will hope for the best - we all should

Hope is not a good strategy to base a coaching hire on....

jcu27 said:
get'em_griz said:
Gaeilge1 said:

How long did it take Ron Ash?

cclarkblues said:
jcu27 said:
get'em_griz said:
Gaeilge1 said:

How long did it take Ron Ash?
At MSU? 7 years, being this year. His first 1st round playoff loss. Previously lost twice in the quarterfinals and once in the 2nd round.

G&B said:
BigSkyBears said:
I would be interested to see his offense in the Big Sky. Defenses will be much quicker than RMAC defenses.
So should the offense.
Exactly. Not comparing UM to WVU, but we've all seen what a D-1 offense can do when incorporating his plays.

tumblr_ll2nywz2tW1qastiho1_400_zpsbe2de962.png

e69ff112f65aae1e55fb0806a141e0bb9fade3b72481dad1de29cec519204d61.jpg

That is all! :lol: :thumb:

Back