• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Beers to Try Before I Die

grizcountry420 said:
Allezchat said:
grizcountry420 said:
Allezchat said:
Did you see there is the regular abyss and 2 special editions this year different from the 2 special editions they did last year? I'm getting a case of each tomorrow and splitting them between 4 of us. I'll anxiously wait for next year when I pop open a bottle.

I saw at the store the other day they had: Scotch, Brandy, and Cognac Barrel Aged Abyss
Cognac and rye are last year's. Scotch and Brandy are this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I wanna come drink beer with you..

:cool:
I'll tell you what, if you're in Bozeman for Cat/griz, maybe....maybe I'll break something out before the game.

MrTitleist said:
Knocked off the Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 off the list today. Picked those up, as well as Grant Teton's American Sour (good sour), and the 2016 Abyss yesterday. Abyss went into storage.

Soooooo........what did you think of the Roch 10 and Bern 12?

daGrizJ said:
MrTitleist said:
Knocked off the Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 off the list today. Picked those up, as well as Grant Teton's American Sour (good sour), and the 2016 Abyss yesterday. Abyss went into storage.

Drunk in a bottle.. so I did both back to back. I liked the Rochefort more than the St Bernardus. Both are good quads. Both also rank in the top 250 on Beer Advocate. That led me down the rabbit hole of trying to find Westy 12 online somewhere. Not an easy feat.

You will not need the last four to be assured this is truly the BEST beer in the world!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustiner-Br%C3%A4u
And if you are in Munchen and can drink it at the brewery even better.

Allezchat said:
grizcountry420 said:
Allezchat said:
grizcountry420 said:
I saw at the store the other day they had: Scotch, Brandy, and Cognac Barrel Aged Abyss
Cognac and rye are last year's. Scotch and Brandy are this year.

Thanks for the info! I wanna come drink beer with you..

:cool:
I'll tell you what, if you're in Bozeman for Cat/griz, maybe....maybe I'll break something out before the game.

Sounds good. I'll take that offer up..

MrTitleist said:
daGrizJ said:
MrTitleist said:

Drunk in a bottle.. so I did both back to back. I liked the Rochefort more than the St Bernardus. Both are good quads. Both also rank in the top 250 on Beer Advocate. That led me down the rabbit hole of trying to find Westy 12 online somewhere. Not an easy feat.

Agreed, but the St. Bernardus has grown on me. I had some Westy shipped to me from a seller in Belguim. It's damn spendy, but I think it's worth it. If you can't find any, PM me and I will send you the web site.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Ten Fidy.. my goodness, that's a great beer. Grand Teton also had a really fantastic beer aged in Wyoming Whiskey barrels. Dram Shop was killin' it last night. They have three more barrel aged beers coming on tap this week that will be terrific.

Grizzoola said:
polsongrizz said:
Grizzoola said:
Griz!ron said:
Polish beer, really, it is very good. You won't be able to pronounce the name though.
Budweiser for me. Closest domestic beer to the Germans. When in Prague, discovered Staropramen. Delightful, but rare in U.S. The original Budweiser was brewed in the Czech Republic.
If you speak with Czechs they are completely embarrassed that this family ruined their name. BTW, it is nothing close at all to German beer, hell it doesn't even come close to passing the Reinheitsgebot.
Well, ok. Can't argue w/ that. So, what domestic mass-produced beer to you recommend, instead? No lite beers, please. Czech beer is great!

A little story how I discovered Staropramen beer. It was very late at night when I arrived in Prague and searched for the place I was to stay. I found the place, locked. Wandered the street a bit, dragging my bag behind me. Finally found a good place. Checked in, got settled, then went out to get something to eat.

Came across an underground Czech tavern & knew it served food. Went downstairs. Inside, the place was busy, smoked filled, and noisy. Immediately catching my eye was a topless barmaid, going about her business. I think Eastern European women have the best breasts; after all, Trump married one.

Of course, I gave my order and a beer, Staropramen, as it turned out. No, I was not in sight of the barmaid all the time. The waitress who served me was fully clothed. I insist it was not because of the topless barmaid that I liked Staropromen! No one knows good beer or fine breasts, unless they have been in Eastern Europe!
I don't drink mass produced beer, lite or otherwise...Great Story.

My cousin is opening a Brewery in Cutbank. If any of you get up there go see him and let me know how the beer is. Should be open this spring.

Mavman said:
My cousin is opening a Brewery in Cutbank. If any of you get up there go see him and let me know how the beer is. Should be open this spring.
You kind of have to give a new brewery a few months before judging their beer. Give em a chance to get their bugs worked out. I've been to a few breweries that were okay when I went in right away. Now they're pumping out some good stuff.

Allezchat said:
Mavman said:
You kind of have to give a new brewery a few months before judging their beer. Give em a chance to get their bugs worked out. I've been to a few breweries that were okay when I went in right away. Now they're pumping out some good stuff.

Thanks allezchat That makes since. I don't know much about breweries I'm not a Zytholigist.
More of a anything cold or free kinda guy.

Allezchat said:
Mavman said:

Definitely the case with Ten Mile here in Helena.

Investors aim to build $15 million malting facility in Butte; could employ 10-15 people
Mike Smith [email protected] Jan 17, 2017 Updated Jan 19, 2017

Butte businessman Ron Ueland is joining other local investors to build a $15 million facility that will produce a variety of malts for a craft brewing industry that is booming in Montana and beyond.

Their venture, Montana Craft Malt, is looking for a site in or near Butte to build their plant, which will use only Montana-grown barley to make specialty malts.

The plant will be able to produce 10,000 tons of malt per year, more than twice the amount used now by craft brewers in Montana. That’s why it will be marketed outside of the state as well, Ueland said Tuesday morning.

Ueland said it is too early to name other local investors, but they hope to announce a site for the plant in the coming month and be operational by next year. It would employ 10 to 15 people.

He said Montana has arguably the best growing environment in the world for barley — sophisticated growers, strong logistics infrastructure and plenty of water.

“Craft brewers have this need for diversity which they are not getting with the macro-malters,” he said. “On the other hand, you have these good farmers out here with the talent to grow this sophisticated barley.

“They are looking for these types of opportunities. Montana agriculture is looking for them, and then with my seed genetics background, I said, ‘This can be done’ and we have a nirvana. Everything lined up.”

Ueland is a consultant for Butte-based Northern Seed LLC, which provides seeds, seed treatments and services to growers.

The malt plant will be designed to produce smaller batches of malt for craft brewers, allowing for flexibility and versatility absent with large-batch, production-centered approaches used by macro-malters.

Ueland said the Montana Connections business park and tax-increment financing district just west of Butte are being “strongly considered” as a site for the plant.

They also are identifying a select group of craft brewers to partner with going forward that includes at least one in Butte and others in Montana.

The beer industry as a whole is down slightly, but sales in the craft segment of the market have been growing for the past 10 years and were up nearly 13 percent in 2015, according to the Brewers Association.

Jennifer O’Brien, the marketing leader for Montana Craft Malt, said the growth was initially seen as a “flash in the pan,” but the trends have held up.

“If you walk down the aisles of any grocery store you will see that craft brew is really starting to take up shelf space,” she said.

The growth has led to demands for high-quality, specialized malts in order to deliver sugars for fermentation and provide additional flavor for each beer variety.

O’Brien said craft brewers prefer not to buy from commodity markets where ingredients are not widely differentiated and their origins are unknown.

They want to buy diverse varieties locally so they can “differentiate their product without paying import taxes or high shipping costs,” she said.

“It is a completely different experience than what is offered with macro-brewers,” she said. “It’s about flavor and heritage and experience and ambiance that comes with the craft product.”

Brandon DeShaw, who is leading engineering and operational aspects of the project, said “buying local” is a genuine trend.

“It’s getting to know your local brewer and wanting to buy food that is grown locally,” he said. “If I can buy beer that is grown locally or is Montana beer, I will do it.”

The investors used marketing data from the Montana Department of Commerce and surveyed numerous craft brewers to validate the opportunity.

They plan to partner with Northern Seed and a barley lab at Montana State University under the direction of Jamie Sherman to identify and test base malts and specialty malts.

The Montana Grain Growers Association welcomed the news.

“Specialized malts for the growing craft brewing industry, made from our members’ high-quality barley, will be a fascinating addition to Montana’s ag community,” said Lola Raska, the group’s executive vice president.

Ueland said the venture will help meet malt needs in Montana and nationwide, which is why the plant will be able to produce twice as much as the market inside the state uses now.

It will add value to Montana grains before they are shipped out of state, he said, helping growers, craft brewers and the local economy. The plant will create construction and operations jobs, bring people to Butte to do business and use local utilities and supplies, he said.

Kristen Rosa, administer of Butte-Silver Bow’s industrial taxing district, said county officials are hopeful the Montana Connections business park is chosen as the location for the plant.

The district board just committed to extend a road and utilities such as electric and gas to a central area of the park, which will be needed once the National Guard relocates its Butte operations there in 2022.

Those utilities would be extended quickly if the malt plant is located there, she said.

Whatever the site is, Ueland said it’s possible a ground-breaking ceremony could be held this spring, with the first batches of malt possible by the spring of 2018.

In billings. Stopped at city vineyards. Pick up a bottle of the highlander barrel aged chocolate. Anyone had it? Also the stone chocolate coffee ipa. Sounds intriguing

Haven't had the Highlander barrel aged.. tried one at Brewfest in the fall, it was so so.

Picked up the Ten Fidy barrel aged and the Abyss brandy barrel aged today.. into storage they go!

I agree. The regular stuff by Highlander is eh. But the guy at City Vinyard said the same about the regular but said the barrel aged pumpkin they had was good. So I'm hopeful.

Back