• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Games this weekend!!! Aug 26th and 27th

kemajic said:
casewinter13 said:
SloStang said:
kemajic said:
I think some credit should go to Colgate's D, which looked pretty good to me until they wore down late.
I absolutely give Colgate credit. They came ready to play. Giving Protheroe 39 carries shows not only lack of imagination, but it will get him hurt. I am just saying when our usually porous D holds a team to 250 yards and 20 points our offense needs to put up more than 14 points.
I'm not sure why the obvious isn't being pointed out here. Cal poly certainly didn't look good, but matchups do matter. Colgate defended the run better than any team in the nation last season and you can see why. They fill their gaps and are rarely out of position. They'll have more trouble defending better balanced teams. Colgate did what they do... they stopped the run.
Maybe things so obvious don't really need to be pointed out. BSC defenses will not stop the run like Colgate, so CPSLO will be just fine if they stay healthy. Colgate was unable to get any pressure on the QB, even with their star DE, so maybe the Mustangs should think more about balancing their offense, which will be necessary in the playoffs.
Oh yeah, Kem, that's it. You nailed it. My response was directly to every post that seemed perplexed as to how Cal Poly couldn't run the ball. And to those several posters who predicted Colgate wouldn't be ready for the Cal poly running game. I have no idea why you even responded other than you're an asshole that needed a little attention, but clearly it wasn't so obvious to those people, was it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IdaGriz01 said:
The most telling game might have been the whoopin’ Jacksonville State put on Chattanooga. Without a late score in “garbage time,” the final would have been 27-6 … more indicative of how the game really went. The J-ville D virtually shut down Chattie’s running game (76 yard) and you just never got the feeling the Mocs had an answer. The Gamecocks have a stud running back (dropdown from Auburn, put up 190 yards rushing and receiving) and they seem to have reloaded at QB. They’re the preseason pick to win the OVC again, and that looks solid.
(From my earlier :twocents: )

Did anyone else watch the Chattanooga at Jacksonville State game? Is Jacksonville really that good, or is Chattanooga maybe not as strong as people thought?

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
The most telling game might have been the whoopin’ Jacksonville State put on Chattanooga. Without a late score in “garbage time,” the final would have been 27-6 … more indicative of how the game really went. The J-ville D virtually shut down Chattie’s running game (76 yard) and you just never got the feeling the Mocs had an answer. The Gamecocks have a stud running back (dropdown from Auburn, put up 190 yards rushing and receiving) and they seem to have reloaded at QB. They’re the preseason pick to win the OVC again, and that looks solid.
(From my earlier :twocents: )

Did anyone else watch the Chattanooga at Jacksonville State game? Is Jacksonville really that good, or is Chattanooga maybe not as strong as people thought?

Little of Both. Chattanooga showed some issue that they need to work out, but Jacksonville is just beastly.

IdaGriz01 said:
:twocents:

An interesting weekend of football, at least in the FCS. Probably the best game of the day involved UMass, which is still relatively new to FBS. That game was pretty close all the way, and then was decided in the last minute when Hawaii scored to win by 38-35 -- that was cool.

The Cal Poly game might have qualified as the best, if the Mustangs had sustained their late surge. As it was … the game was just weird. Hard to get a handle on either team. Colgate played CP’s option really well to start with, but still barely held on at the end. I’d say both teams have a lot of work to do (but then, many do after their first action).

Florida A&M clobbered Texas Southern (29-7), and the game wasn’t really even that close. Suggests that FAMU could be on its way back after a long down period (last winning season, 7-4, back in 2011). So they could maybe be a force in the MEAC … but, so what?

Also hard to figure the PSU-BYU game. All things considered, the Vikings played well. But BYU looked really flat, and I got the impression they played a lot of #2s (and lower) almost from the start of the game. Still, PSU’s frosh QB showed some promise, although -- at the end of the day -- 16 of 36 passing ain’t so hot. And even if BYU was playing a lot of reserves, the PSU defense looked pretty good holding them to just 20 points on their home field. We probably won’t have a clue about this team until they play UC-Davis in their third game. (They have a bye week after their game against Oregon State on Sept 2.)

No. If BYU went into that game with any plan other than to start your absolute best players and stomp the shit out of them from the get go, he needs to be fired immediately. Why would they EVER have pulled in 2nd or 3rd stringers in that game - they never had control of it whatsoever.

casewinter13 said:
kemajic said:
casewinter13 said:
SloStang said:
I absolutely give Colgate credit. They came ready to play. Giving Protheroe 39 carries shows not only lack of imagination, but it will get him hurt. I am just saying when our usually porous D holds a team to 250 yards and 20 points our offense needs to put up more than 14 points.
I'm not sure why the obvious isn't being pointed out here. Cal poly certainly didn't look good, but matchups do matter. Colgate defended the run better than any team in the nation last season and you can see why. They fill their gaps and are rarely out of position. They'll have more trouble defending better balanced teams. Colgate did what they do... they stopped the run.
Maybe things so obvious don't really need to be pointed out. BSC defenses will not stop the run like Colgate, so CPSLO will be just fine if they stay healthy. Colgate was unable to get any pressure on the QB, even with their star DE, so maybe the Mustangs should think more about balancing their offense, which will be necessary in the playoffs.
Oh yeah, Kem, that's it. You nailed it. My response was directly to every post that seemed perplexed as to how Cal Poly couldn't run the ball. And to those several posters who predicted Colgate wouldn't be ready for the Cal poly running game. I have no idea why you even responded other than you're an asshole that needed a little attention, but clearly it wasn't so obvious to those people, was it?
Grow up. You butted into an exchange between SloStang and myself that has been going on far longer than your cute self has graced this forum. Try to improve your second 250 posts.

bgbigdog said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Fat Bruno said:
Grisly Fan said:
Actually it was the Wishbone or sometimes called the Texas Wishbone -- an equally boring offense to endure.

Total bullshit ... the two best Swarthout teams were fabulous to watch and brought Griz fb out of decades of doldrums.

:thumb:

Wish (pun intended) his tenure had not ended as it did. Just like Parac's.

Blancas, Kent, Caputo... that was the epitome of exciting.

And, they had it going on both sides. The D with Larry Miller et al were as fun to watch as the Offense.

Fat Bruno said:
bgbigdog said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Fat Bruno said:
Total bullshit ... the two best Swarthout teams were fabulous to watch and brought Griz fb out of decades of doldrums.

:thumb:

Wish (pun intended) his tenure had not ended as it did. Just like Parac's.

Blancas, Kent, Caputo... that was the epitome of exciting.

And, they had it going on both sides. The D with Larry Miller et al were as fun to watch as the Offense.

Stein, Miller & Co. were awfully good. +1

poorgriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
:twocents:
Also hard to figure the PSU-BYU game. All things considered, the Vikings played well. But BYU looked really flat, and I got the impression they played a lot of #2s (and lower) almost from the start of the game. Still, PSU’s frosh QB showed some promise, although -- at the end of the day -- 16 of 36 passing ain’t so hot. And even if BYU was playing a lot of reserves, the PSU defense looked pretty good holding them to just 20 points on their home field. We probably won’t have a clue about this team until they play UC-Davis in their third game. (They have a bye week after their game against Oregon State on Sept 2.) ...
No. If BYU went into that game with any plan other than to start your absolute best players and stomp the shit out of them from the get go, he needs to be fired immediately. Why would they EVER have pulled in 2nd or 3rd stringers in that game - they never had control of it whatsoever.
I agree with your sentiments, but I can only go with what the commentators were saying (for good or ill) as the game went on. They seemed to feel that the BYU coaches were going deep in the depth chart pretty early in the game. Since I have no clue what the depth chart looks like, I can’t speak to that. But the stats for the whole game support that view -- despite how close the game was all the way through. Recall that BYU led by just 8 points at the half and it stayed that way until they kicked a couple of field goals in Q4. But the game stats say that BYU was either (1) playing guys from way down the depth chart on purpose, or (2) groping to figure out who they should play.

It’s true that BYU played just one QB (Mangum). And the O-Line was pretty stable: seven guys got playing time at those positions, so they stayed with 1’s and 2’s all the way (presumably). But they went three deep at TE (the starter and one other caught passes). They went even deeper at WR and RB: Eight guys (4 deep?) got WR time and five caught passes. They also went eight deep at RB (five got touches).

On defense, they played 14 different guys on the defensive line, 7 at LB, and 13 at DB. That means they went two or three deep on the depth chart, at least some of the time.

Now, this is not a bad thing, IMO, for a first game. In fact, given that it was a game you’re supposed to win (handily), it’s the ideal situation. So, however much the fans had to sweat and how much they might bitch, the coach’s plan -- if it was a plan -- worked out. They won the game and a lot of guys got real game playing time. Remember, BYU goes on the road next weekend to play at LSU -- they needed to (1) win, (2) work out some kinks in their depth chart, and (3) limit injuries to top players. Mission accomplished.

Frankly, while I’ll sweat (and probably bitch) as much as anybody if the game against Valpo is close, a win with lots of guys getting playing time would be ideal for the Griz too.

Latest posts

Back