• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Games this weekend!!! Aug 26th and 27th

Grisly, if you think our offense was boring, I can't help you. The Wishbone is a triple option offense.

IdaGriz01 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
IdaGriz01 said:
get'em_griz said:
Cal Poly has absolutely no run defense. Colgate just rushes right down the middle again for a 57-yard TD.

17-0 Colgate
Colgate is a "good" team (in the weak-ass Patriot League), but this is a joke. CP just not ready to play at home.
I am wondering if this is a reflection of how poor the BSC is going to be.
Hard to tell. PSU put on a very creditable show against BYU, so it's a wash so far.

As a BYU Griz fan who was at the game yesterday I don't really know what to think. BYU kept things very vanilla vs PSU as they play LSU next week. One lineman even said they ran the same two running plays all game.

With that being said PSU's QB looked good at times. Their big TE/slot WR was able to get open quite a bit over the middle, OL looked solid, and the secondary had some nice pass breakups. Dline never got much pressure on BYU and BYU should have rished for about 240 yards and two more TDs but a few big plays were brought back for holds or chop blocks.

As far as what this means for the Griz probably too early to tell but that true freshman QB could become something special in years to come.

Spanky said:
Grisly, if you think our offense was boring, I can't help you. The Wishbone is a triple option offense.
I stand corrected. Yes, after a bit of research, the wishbone is a type of triple option offense. I didn't know that. And yes it was boring and I am not alone in that opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SloStang said:
PlayerRep said:
SLO, what is wrong with your team, both O and D?
New OC that was very unimaginative and one dimensional. We have more talent on offense than we showed. I thought after a rough start the defense did ok. Held Colgate to 250 yards. Most times if we hold a team to 250 yards and 20 points we will win. Our offense did not hold up it's end of the game.

A lot of time you are not as good or bad after the first game as you think you are. I am hoping we are not as bad as we looked. I am hoping that was a Colgate team that was like the 2015 Colgate that beat JMU and UNH in the playoffs and our OC opens up our playbook.
I think some credit should go to Colgate's D, which looked pretty good to me until they wore down late.

Watched the Colgate vs Cal Poly game, and for 3 quarters Colgate took it to Cal Poly. Colgate stuffed Caly Poly many times, and on many 4th down rush attempts. #37 (weirdly enough) for Colgate will be in the NFL.

Watched the Portland State vs BYU game, was impressed with PSU defense keeping the game close throughout. PSU has shutdown corners, that can play man press coverage which allows an extra man (safety) in the box to stop the run. BYU receivers could not win their one-on-one battles, thus PSU had success on D.

Grisly Fan said:
Spanky said:
UM ran the triple option when Jack Swarthout was coach.
Actually it was the Wishbone or sometimes called the Texas Wishbone -- an equally boring offense to endure.

Total bullshit ... the two best Swarthout teams were fabulous to watch and brought Griz fb out of decades of doldrums.

:twocents:

An interesting weekend of football, at least in the FCS. Probably the best game of the day involved UMass, which is still relatively new to FBS. That game was pretty close all the way, and then was decided in the last minute when Hawaii scored to win by 38-35 -- that was cool.

The Cal Poly game might have qualified as the best, if the Mustangs had sustained their late surge. As it was … the game was just weird. Hard to get a handle on either team. Colgate played CP’s option really well to start with, but still barely held on at the end. I’d say both teams have a lot of work to do (but then, many do after their first action).

Florida A&M clobbered Texas Southern (29-7), and the game wasn’t really even that close. Suggests that FAMU could be on its way back after a long down period (last winning season, 7-4, back in 2011). So they could maybe be a force in the MEAC … but, so what?

Also hard to figure the PSU-BYU game. All things considered, the Vikings played well. But BYU looked really flat, and I got the impression they played a lot of #2s (and lower) almost from the start of the game. Still, PSU’s frosh QB showed some promise, although -- at the end of the day -- 16 of 36 passing ain’t so hot. And even if BYU was playing a lot of reserves, the PSU defense looked pretty good holding them to just 20 points on their home field. We probably won’t have a clue about this team until they play UC-Davis in their third game. (They have a bye week after their game against Oregon State on Sept 2.)

The most telling game might have been the whoopin’ Jacksonville State put on Chattanooga. Without a late score in “garbage time,” the final would have been 27-6 … more indicative of how the game really went. The J-ville D virtually shut down Chattie’s running game (76 yard) and you just never got the feeling the Mocs had an answer. The Gamecocks have a stud running back (dropdown from Auburn, put up 190 yards rushing and receiving) and they seem to have reloaded at QB. They’re the preseason pick to win the OVC again, and that looks solid.

kemajic said:
SloStang said:
PlayerRep said:
New OC that was very unimaginative and one dimensional. We have more talent on offense than we showed. I thought after a rough start the defense did ok. Held Colgate to 250 yards. Most times if we hold a team to 250 yards and 20 points we will win. Our offense did not hold up it's end of the game.

A lot of time you are not as good or bad after the first game as you think you are. I am hoping we are not as bad as we looked. I am hoping that was a Colgate team that was like the 2015 Colgate that beat JMU and UNH in the playoffs and our OC opens up our playbook.
I think some credit should go to Colgate's D, which looked pretty good to me until they wore down late.

Colgate's a good team, and knowing CPSLO was the lid-lifter, they had practice time in abundance to get ready for the Tri/O. Their offense went conservative with the lead & it nearly did them in.

IdaGriz01 said:
:twocents:

An interesting weekend of football, at least in the FCS. Probably the best game of the day involved UMass, which is still relatively new to FBS. That game was pretty close all the way, and then was decided in the last minute when Hawaii scored to win by 38-35 -- that was cool.

The Cal Poly game might have qualified as the best, if the Mustangs had sustained their late surge. As it was … the game was just weird. Hard to get a handle on either team. Colgate played CP’s option really well to start with, but still barely held on at the end. I’d say both teams have a lot of work to do (but then, many do after their first action).

Florida A&M clobbered Texas Southern (29-7), and the game wasn’t really even that close. Suggests that FAMU could be on its way back after a long down period (last winning season, 7-4, back in 2011). So they could maybe be a force in the MEAC … but, so what?

Also hard to figure the PSU-BYU game. All things considered, the Vikings played well. But BYU looked really flat, and I got the impression they played a lot of #2s (and lower) almost from the start of the game. Still, PSU’s frosh QB showed some promise, although -- at the end of the day -- 16 of 36 passing ain’t so hot. And even if BYU was playing a lot of reserves, the PSU defense looked pretty good holding them to just 20 points on their home field. We probably won’t have a clue about this team until they play UC-Davis in their third game. (They have a bye week after their game against Oregon State on Sept 2.)

The most telling game might have been the whoopin’ Jacksonville State put on Chattanooga. Without a late score in “garbage time,” the final would have been 27-6 … more indicative of how the game really went. The J-ville D virtually shut down Chattie’s running game (76 yard) and you just never got the feeling the Mocs had an answer. The Gamecocks have a stud running back (dropdown from Auburn, put up 190 yards rushing and receiving) and they seem to have reloaded at QB. They’re the preseason pick to win the OVC again, and that looks solid.

Guarantee you the douchebag Cougar fans are NOT happy today. :lol:

kemajic said:
SloStang said:
PlayerRep said:

I absolutely give Colgate credit. They came ready to play. Giving Protheroe 39 carries shows not only lack of imagination, but it will get him hurt. I am just saying when our usually porous D holds a team to 250 yards and 20 points our offense needs to put up more than 14 points.

SloStang said:
kemajic said:
SloStang said:
PlayerRep said:

I absolutely give Colgate credit. They came ready to play. Giving Protheroe 39 carries shows not only lack of imagination, but it will get him hurt. I am just saying when our usually porous D holds a team to 250 yards and 20 points our offense needs to put up more than 14 points.

Issue seemed to me your young QB has a ways to go still. Lots of talent there but his passing is not the same level of Dano Graves last year. If you could of mixed in some more passing with success it would of been a different game. The two successful drives you had were kept alive by some great pass plays. Overall the QB was just too inconsistent and made your tricky triple option predictable and more easily defended. Your Defense also played a bend but don't break game and when they needed to hold were often just dominated physically. Your DL needs some work there but overall did well. your secondary seemed really strong. Over all I was disappointed. I figured you would be challenging for the conference title this year and a playoff team. The team that played yesterday seemed rough and lacking polish compared to your more recent teams.

Fat Bruno said:
Grisly Fan said:
Spanky said:
Actually it was the Wishbone or sometimes called the Texas Wishbone -- an equally boring offense to endure.

Total bullshit ... the two best Swarthout teams were fabulous to watch and brought Griz fb out of decades of doldrums.

:thumb:

Wish (pun intended) his tenure had not ended as it did. Just like Parac's.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Fat Bruno said:
Grisly Fan said:
Spanky said:

:thumb:

Wish (pun intended) his tenure had not ended as it did. Just like Parac's.

Blancas, Kent, Caputo... that was the epitome of exciting.

SloStang said:
kemajic said:
SloStang said:
PlayerRep said:

I'm not sure why the obvious isn't being pointed out here. Cal poly certainly didn't look good, but matchups do matter. Colgate defended the run better than any team in the nation last season and you can see why. They fill their gaps and are rarely out of position. They'll have more trouble defending better balanced teams. Colgate did what they do... they stopped the run.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ran into the PSU team at the SLC airport Sunday morning. Visited with a small group of them and congratulated them on their great effort at BYU. They were all very nice, polite, articulate and well spoken young men. They are very optimistic about their young QB, as they should be.

I did however, tell them that they need to be prepared for a beat down by the Griz this year - which got a good laugh. When I I asked them what was so funny, something about not being too worried about the Griz.

The Griz need to start reestablishing order in the Big Sky this year!

GO GRIZ!

casewinter13 said:
SloStang said:
kemajic said:
SloStang said:

I'm not sure why the obvious isn't being pointed out here. Cal poly certainly didn't look good, but matchups do matter. Colgate defended the run better than any team in the nation last season and you can see why. They fill their gaps and are rarely out of position. They'll have more trouble defending better balanced teams. Colgate did what they do... they stopped the run.
Maybe things so obvious don't really need to be pointed out. BSC defenses will not stop the run like Colgate, so CPSLO will be just fine if they stay healthy. Colgate was unable to get any pressure on the QB, even with their star DE, so maybe the Mustangs should think more about balancing their offense, which will be necessary in the playoffs.

kemajic said:
casewinter13 said:
SloStang said:
kemajic said:
Maybe things so obvious don't really need to be pointed out. BSC defenses will not stop the run like Colgate, so CPSLO will be just fine if they stay healthy. Colgate was unable to get any pressure on the QB, even with their star DE, so maybe the Mustangs should think more about balancing their offense, which will be necessary in the playoffs.

Great point. I got that sense too. Colgate is stout on the run Defense for sure. Did a good job of making Poly flat and took away the edges. A more balanced game plan with good execution would of opened up a few more holes.

Back