• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach Stitt lands at Ok State

HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
go96griz said:
Take it for what it's worth, but I inquired about 10 days ago if Semore was going to be part of the staff and I was told no. This was after hearing from several sources that he might have a role on the new staff.

You should inquire why the hell it is taking so long to announce Pease and Baer. They need to be able to hit the road and recruit. Haslam indicated it was a HR thing which I’m not really buying. It does not take that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm as frustrated as you and everyone else with how slow they are with these announcements. However, I think we would be very naïve to think that they are not out recruiting and working full-time as Griz coaches right now as we speak, announcements or not.

I guess my question is that would seem to be walking the line to a recruiting violation if that is happening. I’ve seen no evidence of it on twitter at least.

dayday said:
Brother Bear said:
Looks like a really good opportunity where he will still get paid good money and have a chance to do something from there. Good for him and best of luck. Does everyone on the previous staff now have a job somewhere except for Semore at this point? Anybody know anything on Semore status?

From what I have heard which I can’t share on this board but yes.

Semore might still come back to the staff or least some grumblings of it but honestly have no idea what is going on there or with the remaining hires UM is making because it takes them ridiculously long to announce anything.

Ferriter, Selle and Hall?

So just a thought. I know it won’t happen but I think hiring Semore as just a straight up Defensive Assistant coach with no specific position wouldn’t be a bad idea. For one, he can recruit. He’s helped bring in some great defensive talent. Second, he does have some great defensive tactics. There were times are D was pretty good. I think he has a bit of a gunslinger mentality that got him in trouble sometimes though. Third, I think it would be amazingly beneficial for him to tutor under Baer and Sacks. Between them they have 70+ years of coaching experience and 30+ years of DC experience. Just a thought.

First, let me say that I'm so happy that Coach Stitt landed what seems like a great gig. Everything I've read on here said he was a coach who truly cared about his players and was a fine human being.

But as for his new job? All I can say is: Wow, Oklahoma State must want blood ... to hire help with their offense :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having seen Okie State play, I knew they had a potent offense. Well, here are the numbers:
#1 in passing offense … 389.2 ypg
#2 in total offense … 568.9 ypg
#47 in rushing offense … 179.8 ypg
#4 in scoring offense … 45.1 ppg
#26 in red-zone offense … 89.3%

Oh, and they went 10-3, having won their bowl game. They must want Stitt to "fine tune" their offense, but -- sheez! -- that's going to be a hard act to follow.

Offensive analyst? WTH? Where are all the major programs who were beating down his door to convince him to be OC?

i_the_sky said:
I believe coach Stitt is really in his element here focusing on just the offense! He had to many irons in the fire at Montana. I know he gave all he had to give and that's all you can do! I respect him very much and know he will do well at OSU HAPPY TO SEE HIM BACK ON THE FIELD! Good luck coach...

This^^ And again, thanks coach for all you did for Griz football! Wishing you nothing but success at OK St.

Go Griz!!!

alabamagrizzly said:
So just a thought. I know it won’t happen but I think hiring Semore as just a straight up Defensive Assistant coach with no specific position wouldn’t be a bad idea. For one, he can recruit. He’s helped bring in some great defensive talent. Second, he does have some great defensive tactics. There were times are D was pretty good. I think he has a bit of a gunslinger mentality that got him in trouble sometimes though. Third, I think it would be amazingly beneficial for him to tutor under Baer and Sacks. Between them they have 70+ years of coaching experience and 30+ years of DC experience. Just a thought.

What great defensive talent do you speak of?

HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
go96griz said:
Take it for what it's worth, but I inquired about 10 days ago if Semore was going to be part of the staff and I was told no. This was after hearing from several sources that he might have a role on the new staff.

You should inquire why the hell it is taking so long to announce Pease and Baer. They need to be able to hit the road and recruit. Haslam indicated it was a HR thing which I’m not really buying. It does not take that long.

I'm as frustrated as you and everyone else with how slow they are with these announcements. However, I think we would be very naïve to think that they are not out recruiting and working full-time as Griz coaches right now as we speak, announcements or not.

Again, IDK why anyone is surprised with the way the UM athletic department operates these days. After the hell they've had to endure, I think any of us would also tighten the ship and keep everything close to the chest until all Ts are crossed and Is dotted.

Makes total sense to me. This is the result of a decade of unfair, non-accurate journalism toward the football program. This is what we get.

This is an awesome gig for Stitt, this is always the capacity that I think he will thrive in best. Hes always been the guy that can realize little things here and there that can really boost an offense. This way he can do those things and not sacrifice the time and details for the rest of the team.

I think this may be step 1 toward the OC position if the OSU guy goes somewhere after the season.

AZDoc said:
I think this may be step 1 toward the OC position if the OSU guy goes somewhere after the season.
I know nothing about the internal situation at Okie State, but you make a good point. And I haven't made a "survey," but it seems like a fair number of new head coaches at the FBS level got there through an OC job at another FBS school. Given OSU's offensive firepower (stats above), they may have already been approached by schools wanting to interview their current OC. I just checked, and it looks like the OC has been there through five season ... so that seems like a possibility.

dayday said:
go96griz said:

How do you know it’s not as simple as this: we can only have a limited number of coaches under contract at any given time, and technically, some of the prior staffs’ contracts are not up yet? I have no idea if that’s the case but I believe it is something simple like that, as opposed to something nefarious

garizzalies said:
dayday said:
go96griz said:

How do you know it’s not as simple as this: we can only have a limited number of coaches under contract at any given time, and technically, some of the prior staffs’ contracts are not up yet? I have no idea if that’s the case but I believe it is something simple like that, as opposed to something nefarious

This sounds more accurate. I am sure that if the new guys are "cleared" they are working and recruiting. If for whatever reason they are not, then I am sure they are not actively recruiting, but are doing a lot of behind the scenes work to get things organized for spring.

garizzalies said:
dayday said:
go96griz said:

Perhaps, but I don't think the test is the number of coaches under contract. I think it's the number of coaches who are performing coaching duties. Note that coaches remain under contract all the time after they are fired. Pflu was an example.

With UM, I wondered if some of the new guys hadn't started officially because UM is paying the former coaches, and the ones not yet officially announced have enough money from prior jobs not to have to be paid for a month or so. And UM doesn't have enough money in budget to pay 2 sets of coaches. I have no inside info on this subject.

Yeah that’s basically what I was trying to say but I fucked it up. You said it better. It’s probably not a numbers game so much as a payroll issue. Either way, dayday is reading way too much into it

garizzalies said:
Yeah that’s basically what I was trying to say but I f***[*] it up. You said it better. It’s probably not a numbers game so much as a payroll issue. Either way, dayday is reading way too much into it

And the 2 of us have shown that we each know the same about the actual facts. Zero. Ha.

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
Yeah that’s basically what I was trying to say but I f***[*] it up. You said it better. It’s probably not a numbers game so much as a payroll issue. Either way, dayday is reading way too much into it

And the 2 of us have shown that we each know the same about the actual facts. Zero. Ha.

True but I like the speculation. It sounds reasonable but if that’s the case I wish they would come out and just say that. Haslam just indicated to me that they do not officially announce until they are officially hired and clear HR protocol. Again, I think there has to be more to it then that because it can’t take this long. So maybe it is a money issue like you are stating, which would indicate to me they poorly drafted these assistants contracts. Should have included pay out clauses or make the contracts run just until mid-January when dead period ends so they aren’t still on official pay roll.

Interesting that OK State's current offensive coord. was plucked by Gundy from a Div 2 college in PA. Yurcich has proven to be one of the best offensive minds in FBS. So it'll be a Div 2 offensive braintrust. This is a win-win for Stitt: a helluva sabbatical if he sticks around for 1-2 years until he moves back to a HC position (should be able to add some interesting wrinkles to his offense after being around Yurchich), OR a possible move up to OC if Yurchich moves on.

Back