• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Camp Updates

PlayerRep said:
Kicking news. Both kickers (from last year) are kicking fairly well. Semenza hit a 53 yarder to end practice. As reported, Peppinger does have to sit a year (will redshirt), due to the Cats declaring him a recruited athlete and the Big Sky no-transfer rule. The Big Sky stats for 2017 show UM with the highest FG kicking percentage in the conference. Hauck is definitely helping and emphasizing special teams.

Good... would have been a huge difference last season.

PlayerRep said:
Kicking news. Both kickers (from last year) are kicking fairly well. Semenza hit a 53 yarder to end practice. As reported, Peppinger does have to sit a year (will redshirt), due to the Cats declaring him a recruited athlete and the Big Sky no-transfer rule. The Big Sky stats for 2017 show UM with the highest FG kicking percentage in the conference. Hauck is definitely helping and emphasizing special teams.

Purdy was 3rd in the country in FG accuracy last year hitting 15 of 17 attempts and 7th in FG’s/game with 1.36.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Purdy was 3rd in the country in FG accuracy last year hitting 15 of 17 attempts and 7th in FG’s/game with 1.36.

I don't know where people get the idea that our FG team has been bad. Purdy has been very good since coming here. Typically a freshman struggles with consistency then gets a ton better over the next 3 years. Purdy was great last year. I think PR was referencing our Kick off and punt coverage/returns more. We were not very good on either of those things. We were not very good even when we started using first string players on those teams. We will be much improved in those categories this year with Schillinger coaching ST.

mtgrizfankb said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't know where people get the idea that our FG team has been bad. Purdy has been very good since coming here. Typically a freshman struggles with consistency then gets a ton better over the next 3 years. Purdy was great last year. I think PR was referencing our Kick off and punt coverage/returns more. We were not very good on either of those things. We were not very good even when we started using first string players on those teams. We will be much improved in those categories this year with Schillinger coaching ST.

Agreed definitely on the kick coverage. I think the biggest issue to help fix that is hang time on kickoffs. Our kickoffs for the last several years have been more line drive kicks then hangtime and the coverage doesn’t have time to get down there.

alabamagrizzly said:
mtgrizfankb said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Agreed definitely on the kick coverage. I think the biggest issue to help fix that is hang time on kickoffs. Our kickoffs for the last several years have been more line drive kicks then hangtime and the coverage doesn’t have time to get down there.

And I will bet that on kick returns we will return the ball to the same gap (right side hash) every single kick return like we did for the first nine games last year. At one point I was wishing for the "Globe of Death" return just to see something different.

84GRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
mtgrizfankb said:
alabamagrizzly said:

And I will bet that on kick returns we will return the ball to the same gap (right side hash) every single kick return like we did for the first nine games last year. At one point I was wishing for the "Globe of Death" return just to see something different.

I highly doubt it. I doubt our return team looks any bit the same with this team vs last year. watching our returns last year our blockers were constantly our of position. We would have people turned the wrong way and were being eaten by the outside gunners. our doubles were in the wrong places. We didn't adapt well on special teams. I think it was just from lack of practice and coaching technique. A lot of our blockers would be at a dead stop on impact and that cant happen, you have to hedge and run with your block to make a space. Special teams usually is not a talent issue but a coaching and execution issue. That's why we saw little to no improvement last year when we added #1 guys to ST late in the year.

mtgrizfankb said:
84GRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
mtgrizfankb said:

I highly doubt it. I doubt our return team looks any bit the same with this team vs last year. watching our returns last year our blockers were constantly our of position. We would have people turned the wrong way and were being eaten by the outside gunners. our doubles were in the wrong places. We didn't adapt well on special teams. I think it was just from lack of practice and coaching technique. A lot of our blockers would be at a dead stop on impact and that cant happen, you have to hedge and run with your block to make a space. Special teams usually is not a talent issue but a coaching and execution issue. That's why we saw little to no improvement last year when we added #1 guys to ST late in the year.

SDSU had fantastic special teams overall. 5th best in average return. 9th best in overall efficiency. That would be a helpful contribution to this season.

Yukon said:
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1033032278455152641

Anyone know who's sporting the arm sling?
Also...
Anyone know status of Angel Villanueva, heard Shane Cochrane was hurt,(sling?) His status?
Going into game week, any major injuries that haven't been well reported?
THANKS. GO GRIZ. #RTD. #FTC

I noticed both of the Calhoun’s aren’t anywhere in the picture. Trying not to overthink this.

Latest posts

Back