• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky tourney men's games and info

GrizLA said:
SACCAT66 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:
like yourself, I did not know that until Rainbear posted that. interesting

I actually did know, but gave Rainbear credit for being first to post.

I thought everyone knew this. How did anyone think different. The bracket is set on Sunday and you fill it out on Monday....BEFORE the play- in games are even played

I know it now. Thanks. But, even though you are right, aren't some of the Pac 12 tourney games on Sunday and others? I personally don't care where the Griz are in it. UM needs the $$.

Yes, some tourneys end Sunday, then the selection show is about an hour after they end. All teams are seeded by Sunday night

SACCAT66 said:
GrizLA said:
... aren't some of the Pac 12 tourney games on Sunday and others? I personally don't care where the Griz are in it. UM needs the $$.
Yes, some tourneys end Sunday, then the selection show is about an hour after they end. All teams are seeded by Sunday night
There are six -- yes, six -- conferences that don't decide their championship until Sunday: American, Atlantic-10, Big Ten, Ivy, SEC and Sun Belt. The Ivy and the Sun Belt are one-bid conferences, but the other four will all have multiple bids, and we're likely to see at least one or two "bubble busters" among them -- teams with poor regular season records who make a run and totally blow up some of the seeds.

Picking the teams that will get bids to the Big Dance is really not all that difficult. Since 2003, I have used a pretty simple formula to make up my list. I usually have most of the at-large bids selected by the end of the regular season, and they don't change all that much after that. At the end, I've never missed more than two of the picks, had three years where I nailed them all, and missed by just one in 2007, 2014 and 2015. And virtually all my misses were cases where the "pundits" (who get paid for their opinions) were up in arms about them.

That being said, seeding those teams is a whole lot harder ... so I usually don't bother.

Among the phrases I never expected to utter:

"There are fewer people at this game than at a psu home game".

cmtgrizzly said:
Stuck at work. Are there men's games ongoing now? If so, does anyone have results?
PSU beat NAU in the first Big Sky men's game, 80-67. ISU plays Sac State, starting at 6:35 MT.

There are six -- yes, six -- conferences that don't decide their championship until Sunday: American, Atlantic-10, Big Ten, Ivy, SEC and Sun Belt. The Ivy and the Sun Belt are one-bid conferences, but the other four will all have multiple bids, and we're likely to see at least one or two "bubble busters" among them -- teams with poor regular season records who make a run and totally blow up some of the seeds.

Picking the teams that will get bids to the Big Dance is really not all that difficult. Since 2003, I have used a pretty simple formula to make up my list. I usually have most of the at-large bids selected by the end of the regular season, and they don't change all that much after that. At the end, I've never missed more than two of the picks, had three years where I nailed them all, and missed by just one in 2007, 2014 and 2015. And virtually all my misses were cases where the "pundits" (who get paid for their opinions) were up in arms about them.

That being said, seeding those teams is a whole lot harder ... so I usually don't bother.
[/quote]

It seems like the ACC is always the last known result. Maybe I am wrong

cmtgrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Stuck at work. Are there men's games ongoing now? If so, does anyone have results?
PSU beat NAU in the first Big Sky men's game, 80-67. ISU plays Sac State, starting at 6:35 MT.
Thanks for the update.
Sac State leads ISU, 70-60, with about 6 min. left in the game.

LivingstonNative said:
Kitties chasing the birds. Birds up 17 to 15.
Still a close game, MSU leads by 4 at about the 7-min mark. Sac clobbered ISU, 91-76.

Meanwhile, the Zags continue to show how you can play in a crappy conference -- and help raise its level of competition -- and still get major national attention. Everyone is sure they will be the #1 seed in the West.

cmtgrizzly said:
Wow I hope the crowd behind the team benches is less than the other side! Nobody watching
Yeah, the already anemic "crowd" [NOT!] has dwindled to practically nothing. And this is Reno, where people just naturally stay up late. But not to watch BBall, obviously. :(

Don't have any good answer, but I have to question whether or not Reno is a good venue for the Big Sky highlight its tournament.

IdaGriz01 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Wow I hope the crowd behind the team benches is less than the other side! Nobody watching
Yeah, the already anemic "crowd" [NOT!] has dwindled to practically nothing. And this is Reno, where people just naturally stay up late. But not to watch BBall, obviously. :(

Don't have any good answer, but I have to question whether or not Reno is a good venue for the Big Sky highlight its tournament.

Well I will admit I have not agreed with this move to Reno since it was revealed. I was critical and still am. I understand the decision was made for a reason and I realize that sometimes you have to be a team player and follow the leader even when you dont agree but the leader has to admit when a mistake has been made and make a change instead of asking for continued blind faith from those following. Now maybe it is not time to definitively call this a mistake but this crowd is awful and I cant imagine this doesnt represent a loss of revenue. Gotta get some real buy in from the Reno community or get out.

There is a lot to say about a neutral floor. SUU was down 15 and now trail by 2 with a few seconds to go...3 pt fest. I hope UM has an answer for the two MSU shooters, one a freshman, one a sophomore...but, SUU can actually win this one! Winner plays Weber...fun game to watch.

overtime for SUU and MSU...amazing. SUU could have won had the last foul shot been made...MSU should win but what a game. I've never seen a basketball game ever with so many 3 pt shots...

A second overtime. And, once again, SUU could have won but the refs discount a made shot by SUU>

Triple overtime...SUU, once more, could have won but not getting the ref calls. Best BSC game of the year, maybe..

Back