• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All the FCS playoff possibilities...

Grizzlies1982 said:
AZGrizFan said:
And an 8-3 Montana team is NEVER going to be left out of the playoffs.

I can't completely but into this. Wish I could. An 8-3 Montana left out is very unlikely but it remains a real possibility. There are just too many other teams nationwide which may finish at 8-3 or better. Plus we're looking at the log jam at the top of the Big Sky. Then in the MVFC or CAA even 7-4 record may trump an 8-3 out here.

To seal the deal we will need to see several teams dropping games these next two weeks. Thankfully there are quite a few match ups between ranked teams. We just need to root for the higher ranking teams to win so the mid-tier teams drop off the bubble. Meanwhile our Grizzlies need to make a statement in their remaining games.

I believe it will all work out but nothing is certain until the fat lady sings. Go Griz! :ugeek:

BSC has never had less then 3 teams since the playoffs were expanded.
NO 8-3 team has ever been left out of the playoffs.
An 8-3 MONTANA team sure as HELL isn't going to be left out of the playoffs. We're one of about 3 team that actually generate $$ for the NCAA.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I can't completely but into this. Wish I could. An 8-3 Montana left out is very unlikely but it remains a real possibility. There are just too many other teams nationwide which may finish at 8-3 or better. Plus we're looking at the log jam at the top of the Big Sky. Then in the MVFC or CAA even 7-4 record may trump an 8-3 out here.

To seal the deal we will need to see several teams dropping games these next two weeks. Thankfully there are quite a few match ups between ranked teams. We just need to root for the higher ranking teams to win so the mid-tier teams drop off the bubble. Meanwhile our Grizzlies need to make a statement in their remaining games.

I believe it will all work out but nothing is certain until the fat lady sings. Go Griz! :ugeek:

An 8-3 MONTANA team sure as HELL isn't going to be left out of the playoffs. We're one of about 3 team that actually generate $$ for the NCAA.

The big sky will get three teams in, that's not up for debate IMO. I think the bigger question is will they get four teams in? The big sky has gotten 4 teams in twice.

If committee only takes 3 (which is HIGHLY likely due to our conference ranking and the big sky not getting any love in polls all year) who will the 3rd team be?

Obviously SUU and Weber will be in unless they both melt down. That leaves us and NAU. What if we are both 8-3. Who does the committee take then as the third team?

Sure we beat NAU but the committee will be quick to point out that NAU was without Cookus (and ignore the fact we were on our 3rd and 4th string). The committee will also (IMO) favor NAU having a higher ranking, stronger strength of schedule, and more quality wins. That decision is the one that scares me the most. Any other scenario and I agree Griz are in. I'm not sold on the NAU vs Griz decision if both are 8-3. We need NAU to lose one of their 2 remaining games to not have it come down to that.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
AZGrizFan said:

The big sky will get three teams in, that's not up for debate IMO. I think the bigger question is will they get four teams in? The big sky has gotten 4 teams in twice.

If committee only takes 3 (which is HIGHLY likely due to our conference ranking and the big sky not getting any love in polls all year) who will the 3rd team be?

Obviously SUU and Weber will be in unless they both melt down. That leaves us and NAU. What if we are both 8-3. Who does the committee take then as the third team?

Sure we beat NAU but the committee will be quick to point out that NAU was without Cookus (and ignore the fact we were on our 3rd and 4th string). The committee will also (IMO) favor NAU having a higher ranking, stronger strength of schedule, and more quality wins. That decision is the one that scares me the most. Any other scenario and I agree Griz are in. I'm not sold on the NAU vs Griz decision if both are 8-3. We need NAU to lose one of their 2 remaining games to not have it come down to that.
NAU has one quality win against Illinois State, other than that they’re kinda like us, they haven’t beaten anyone of value, and I think as long as they lose to SUU (which I think will most likely happen) then we’re for sure in.

HookedonGriz said:

Why do people keep saying this? Do you REALLY think they look that in-depth into wins and losses? I, for one, do not.

An 8-3 Montana team gets in over an 8-3 NAU team based on head-to-head records. Period. WHO was on the field during the game has about .0001% to do with their decision, IMHO.

Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

NAU has one quality win against Illinois State, other than that they’re kinda like us, they haven’t beaten anyone of value, and I think as long as they lose to SUU (which I think will most likely happen) then we’re for sure in.

Agree, But in my scenario if they get to 8-3 that means they beat SUU for another quality win. What then? That's why we need northern Arizona to lose to the cats or to southern Utah and it's a moot point then.

HookedonGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agree, But in my scenario if they get to 8-3 that means they beat SUU for another quality win. What then? That's why we need northern Arizona to lose to the cats or to southern Utah and it's a moot point then.
Do you see any scenario where it could come down to is and Eastern, and if they lose on Saturday we take their spot? Or are you just going to rule them out?

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Why do people keep saying this? Do you REALLY think they look that in-depth into wins and losses? I, for one, do not.

An 8-3 Montana team gets in over an 8-3 NAU team based on head-to-head records. Period. WHO was on the field during the game has about .0001% to do with their decision, IMHO.

Well there are already national FCS articles with title headings similar to this:

"NAU can't overcome Cookus ejection; lose to Griz"

All I'm saying is the committee could go either way, and I hate having to trust them to make the right decision. I'm really just hoping it doesn't come down to that scenario because I wouldn't be surprised either way

Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:

Do you see any scenario where it could come down to is and Eastern, and if they lose on Saturday we take their spot? Or are you just going to rule them out?

I'm actually ruling them out now. With the very real chance that the big sky will only get in three teams, I truly think it's going to take 8 wins and 7-4 won't do it. Just too much of a log jam in the big sky and so many other variables in other conferences with eight and nine win teams

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
but the committee will be quick to point out that NAU was without Cookus (and ignore the fact we were on our 3rd and 4th string).

Yes, I do think they consider things such as this.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
but the committee will be quick to point out that NAU was without Cookus (and ignore the fact we were on our 3rd and 4th string).

Do you think they'd be so one-sided as to give NAU CREDIT for NOT having Cookus, but not US for being on our 4th string, thus somehow swinging that game into NAU's column?

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Do you think they'd be so one-sided as to give NAU CREDIT for NOT having Cookus, but not US for being on our 4th string, thus somehow swinging that game into NAU's column?

My point is, who knows exactly. But I think many will believe that NAU wins that game with Cookus no matter who played QB for the Griz.

Isn’t there a Facebook live with the committee chair tonight after the top 10 rankings are announced? If so somebody ask him what it’ll take for the Griz to get in. I’d do it but I don’t have a Facebook.

I dont know if the lack of Cookus would enter the decision making or not but woudnt be surprised if it did to some degree. Cookus is on a short list of top qb's in the nation and the top qb in our conference. As good of a season as I think Phillips was poised to have and as good as I think Jensen has been and will be, I dont think their potential to be the top qb in our league will have enough strength to outweigh Cookus who already has that reputation and they may figure that no matter which qb we had NAU with Cookus is better even if we dont agree. So to me, if they get to the argument of, "if both teams have their qb who wins?", right or wrong I think we lose that argument with the committee. Shouldnt come down to that as we won the game that NAU played against UM regardless of personnel but just the same sometimes committees have tough decisions and have to find a tie breaker.

They could also argue we barely beat NAU at home and on a neutral field we would probably lose. Another poor argument as well but again they may be looking for tie breakers. We just need to beat UNC and MSU convincingly to put ourselves in the best position for an at large.

Griz til I die said:
Isn’t there a Facebook live with the committee chair tonight after the top 10 rankings are announced? If so somebody ask him what it’ll take for the Griz to get in. I’d do it but I don’t have a Facebook.

I threw the question our to both Haley and Nuanez. I'll share any feedback.

SUU.
Weber.
Montana.
Those are my BSC predictions for the playoffs. NAU will lose one of two in the coming weeks.
Head to head puts Montana in front of NAU no matter who was the QB in that game. EWU is out at this point. Plus Montana is money and the other three options are not.

Not usually a Stitt trait...

But kicking UNC and the kittens asses by 30+ would clear up any doubt.

Paytonlives said:

:agree:

I think the kids need to take care of business first. Winning the last 3 games, being on a roll, money, head to head win, all put the Griz in over NAU. I think these next 2 weeks are big!

AZDoc said:
Paytonlives said:

:agree:

I think the kids need to take care of business first. Winning the last 3 games, being on a roll, money, head to head win, all put the Griz in over NAU. I think these next 2 weeks are big!

Winning 6 of last 7. :clap: :clap:

HelenaHandBasket said:
GraniteGriz80 said:
Weber played Montana western as there first game of the season. If they lost 1 of there remaining 2 game would they still make it in?

I don't think they lose either game.

They don't deserve to be in if they lose to a winless PSU or ISU at home. Don't see Jay Hill letting that happen though.

Back