• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 More Years for Choate

poorgriz said:
Question for cat fans. I don't follow your program very close so please be kind.
Ash did a good job won a ton of games but could not make it to the chipper. Last couple seasons for him were down and maybe players had lost faith. So what is this big "change in culture" that coach choate is getting credit for? You had great players during Ashs' years but now choate is upgrading the team? is that not a slap in the face to the players that won you guys those conference championships? Kind of, but they lost "it" along the way under Ash. Happens pretty much every time you change the HC. You saw it with Stitt, remember him saying "Sometimes graduation is a good thing."? You'll see it with Hauck when he cleans house and starts over.
He has swagger the team will be tough, but will they win?? Yes. What part of your team have you seen the most improvement in since Choate got there?? Why has he not switched QB's? Because there wasn't a good option. now there are several, but my belief is that Murray will be the QB. His trajectory and development as a passer is very similar to McGhee and Prukop. As others have stated, our WRs have been a huge problem.
What has your team shown other then close losses that make you think they can compete for conference title or make playoffs? Because we competed well and damn near beat some of the best teams in the country, and we did it while playing a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds.
Lastly if Choate is 0-2 or 1-1 against Montana does he still get all this credit for being a great coach? Or is it easier knowing that at least one of those 2 losses kept Montana from playoffs so at least both programs were home for Thanksgiving??
These are legit questions not a smart ass griz fan poking fun please answer.
You could be building the next NDSU IDK! Explain why you all seem to think so.

WHAAAAAAT...no way.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:
And you DEFINITELY don't give a losing HC any kind of extension before his current contract is up unless, of course, you care more about one game than a winning tradition.

Unless you have knowledge as to what said coach stepped into and had to purge. Much easier to build a program from scratch such as Brian Bohannon than have to tear it down and rebuild. Choate got a dysfunctional atmosphere and his young staff did a decent job his first year although physically outmanned at virtually every phase of the team, especially the lines and receiving positions. Last year his lines were a bit better but his receivers were high school level.

Spring practice will tell whether they improved enough to offset the many motion penalties inside the twenty last year and receivers who either ran the wrong routes or quit on the plays. Pretty damning information when the coaches show what play was called and where the break down happened.

Anyway, that's why these ADs make the big bucks the Big Sky is noted for...

Again, I don't deny any of that. That's not the point. The point is there was no reason to extend the contract now, rather than at the end of the term.

-If he goes 9-2 in 2018, go ahead and sign him for 20 years.

-If he goes 2-9 in 2018, would you rather have him already signed up for 2019 (and likely beyond), or be able to tell him to GTFO with no contract in the way?

Anyway, I think your last line pretty much sums up this decision. I agree completely. :lol:

From what I understand, and this is nothing but family talk, there was reason to provide job security.

Let's face facts: just about all conference coaches are about the equivalent of high school coaches salary wise in many states and their assistants are less than a beginning teacher in many states. MSU with their budget surplus is not out anything really if they decide to buy them out the middle of next year.

If the trajectory holds true, it's a wise investment. If it's a mistake, minimize the damage and get another sucker in who'll work for nothing. Choate is taking a gamble and so is Waded and Costello. Most of Waded's risks have turned out pretty well for her.

Fair post. I think he has job security for 2018 and could easily earn more of it with a winning season. It's amazing to think that a 9-13 coach would have bargaining power for an early extension, but OK.

I would only add about the surplus: a buyout that could've been easily avoided is just bad optics, especially when people think 500-600k per year (or whatever the coaching payroll is) is a decent chunk.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Unless you have knowledge as to what said coach stepped into and had to purge. Much easier to build a program from scratch such as Brian Bohannon than have to tear it down and rebuild. Choate got a dysfunctional atmosphere and his young staff did a decent job his first year although physically outmanned at virtually every phase of the team, especially the lines and receiving positions. Last year his lines were a bit better but his receivers were high school level.

Spring practice will tell whether they improved enough to offset the many motion penalties inside the twenty last year and receivers who either ran the wrong routes or quit on the plays. Pretty damning information when the coaches show what play was called and where the break down happened.

Anyway, that's why these ADs make the big bucks the Big Sky is noted for...

Again, I don't deny any of that. That's not the point. The point is there was no reason to extend the contract now, rather than at the end of the term.

-If he goes 9-2 in 2018, go ahead and sign him for 20 years.

-If he goes 2-9 in 2018, would you rather have him already signed up for 2019 (and likely beyond), or be able to tell him to GTFO with no contract in the way?

Anyway, I think your last line pretty much sums up this decision. I agree completely. :lol:

From what I understand, and this is nothing but family talk, there was reason to provide job security.

Let's face facts: just about all conference coaches are about the equivalent of high school coaches salary wise in many states and their assistants are less than a beginning teacher in many states. MSU with their budget surplus is not out anything really if they decide to buy them out the middle of next year.

If the trajectory holds true, it's a wise investment. If it's a mistake, minimize the damage and get another sucker in who'll work for nothing. Choate is taking a gamble and so is Waded and Costello. Most of Waded's risks have turned out pretty well for her.

Fair post. I think he has job security for 2018 and could easily earn more of it with a winning season. It's amazing to think that a 9-13 coach would have bargaining power for an early extension, but OK.

I would only add about the surplus: a buyout that could've been easily avoided is just bad optics, especially when people think 500-600k per year (or whatever that the coaching payroll is) is a decent chunk.

The base is all that's guaranteed in a school that chose to not turn their athletic programs over to a foundation and allow the money managers to run the finances.

All I know for certain is he stepped into a mess and quickly fixed the mindset of a lot of young kids. I even feel he's been a bit too harsh in his punishments but again, I'm only on the outside looking in and listening to my relatives who want to disown me for being in Missoula now.

These coaching salaries are a travesty but they're indicitive of what value the state of Montana places on education as a whole.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I would only add about the surplus: a buyout that could've been easily avoided is just bad optics, especially when people think 500-600k per year (or whatever that the coaching payroll is) is a decent chunk.

The base is all that's guaranteed in a school that chose to not turn their athletic programs over to a foundation and allow the money managers to run the finances.

All I know for certain is he stepped into a mess and quickly fixed the mindset of a lot of young kids. I even feel he's been a bit too harsh in his punishments but again, I'm only on the outside looking in and listening to my relatives who want to disown me for being in Missoula now.

These coaching salaries are a travesty but they're indicitive of what value the state of Montana places on education as a whole.

I was referring to the payroll of the staff assuming a disaster this season would necessitate canning about 8-10 including Chaoch. 600k is likely a low estimate.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I was referring to the payroll of the staff assuming a disaster this season would necessitate canning about 8-10 including Chaoch. 600k is likely a low estimate.

The chances of this season being a disaster are slim and none!

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Then it sounds like after that is proven would have been a great time to ink Choach for the long term! If he's going to leave after this season, he will do it, contract or not.

I follow a lot and never really post. So bear with me here. This thread has gone all sorts of directions so as far as choate getting an extension I saw good for him. Is that crazy? At this point it looks like a big risk, but then you have to look at some of the guys he has surrounded himself with. It’s not a far out idea. His oc took a mediocre naia team to a winning team. And has produced some high quality qbs. His special teams coordinator turned around a losing program to a winning team, that was a game or two shy of make no the playoffs. And he did that within 3 years. His dc used to be loved by griz nation. And we know he can build a defense and scheme to compete any where. Plus the other coaches I don’t have much knowledge about. So is it really that crazy of an idea?

As far as who wins recruiting for in state prospects, that is going to be a battle every year. Both programs have many Montana ties.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Then it sounds like after that is proven would have been a great time to ink Choach for the long term! If he's going to leave after this season, he will do it, contract or not.
You are speculating about something that you have no clue about. The AD did what he thought was right given his knowledge of the situation. Cat fans are happy about it. That is all that counts.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Congrats. Preseason champs once again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Yep and the Griz are preseason National Champions now that Hauck is back :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: !

bigsky33 said:
AZGrizFan said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yep and the Griz are preseason National Champions now that Hauck is back :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: !

Hey, lay off them. They're the Champions of..... Missoula. :lol:

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:

While I tend to agree with that, there is a reason they play the games before we mark them in the win column

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You are speculating about something that you have no clue about. The AD did what he thought was right given his knowledge of the situation. Cat fans are happy about it. That is all that counts.

I'm not speculating at all. I'm asking. This isn't difficult.
What FACT(S) can we use to answer the QUESTION?

FACTS:
-Choach had a year remaining on his contract.
-Choach has never had a winning season.
-Choach is the first MSU coach to have back-to-back losing seasons since 2000-2001.
-MSU extended his contract before it was over.
-MSU could have waited to see if Choach had a winning season before extending his contract.
-Choach can leave for any job whenever he wants, regardless of his MSU contract.
-Cat fans are anecdotally happy about it.

SPECULATION:
-The terms of the extension.
-Choach was being courted by an FBS team for a coordinator job.
-Choach is still being courted by an FBS team for a coordinator job.
-Choach will have a good season in 2018.
-Choach will have an awful season in 2018.
-It was a poor and/or hasty decision to extend the contract now.

QUESTION:
-Why did the extension happen now?

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

I'm not speculating at all. I'm asking. This isn't difficult.
What FACT(S) can we use to answer the QUESTION?

FACTS:
-Choach had a year remaining on his contract.
-Choach has never had a winning season.
-Choach is the first MSU coach to have back-to-back losing seasons since 2000-2001.
-MSU extended his contract before it was over.
-MSU could have waited to see if Choach had a winning season before extending his contract.
-Choach can leave for any job whenever he wants, regardless of his MSU contract.
-Cat fans are anecdotally happy about it.

SPECULATION:
-The terms of the extension.
-Choach was being courted by an FBS team for a coordinator job.
-Choach is still being courted by an FBS team for a coordinator job.
-Choach will have a good season in 2018.
-Choach will have an awful season in 2018.
-It was a poor and/or hasty decision to extend the contract now.

QUESTION:
-Why did the extension happen now?
[/quote

CDA it is very simple. It happened now because the AD felt it was best and the Coach agreed to it. :lol: :lol: :clap: :thumb: Keep going, you almost have this to a 10 page thread! :clap:

I know the AD felt it was best. I would assume it would not have happened had he thought it was a bad idea. That doesn't answer the question of why, given the facts. What fact(s) could you add to justify his feeling that it was best?

MSU believes Choatz can help them achieve their long-stated goal of playing .500 ball on a consistent basis. I assume they feel the same way about Coach Fished over at Brick Breeden. Brick. Whoever named a basketball arena "Brick?"

Back