• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 More Years for Choate

KoolMoeDee said:
CDAGRIZ said:
The only reasons I've read are (1) people like the way the program is heading (odd because two losing seasons in a row for the first time since 2000-2001), and (2) he was being wooed by a FBS school for a coordinator position (if he left, he's not the savior you want him to be).

He got the extension because the most important thing for the MSU program is the Griz. It's OK to say it.

Did Stitt lose his job solely because of the losses to the Cats? Or were there other things involved behind the scenes like Ash? Combination of both maybe?

Out of the playoffs two years in a row says it all!

KoolMoeDee said:
CDAGRIZ said:
The only reasons I've read are (1) people like the way the program is heading (odd because two losing seasons in a row for the first time since 2000-2001), and (2) he was being wooed by a FBS school for a coordinator position (if he left, he's not the savior you want him to be).

He got the extension because the most important thing for the MSU program is the Griz. It's OK to say it.

Did Stitt lose his job solely because of the losses to the Cats? Or were there other things involved behind the scenes like Ash? Combination of both maybe?

I think making the playoffs the last two years (regardless of MSU game outcomes) would've saved the gig for Stitt. Different programs, different priorities, I suppose.

Catsrgrood said:
poorgriz said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
That's fine, but I've not read a single good reason to do this now rather than waiting until after the 2018 campaign. If he was going to bolt for an FBS coordinator job, he wasn't going to be your guy anyway.

When it really boils down to it, we all know why MSU offered the extension. Cat fans shouldn't have to cloak it in terms of "program direction" and "toughness".

You haven't read a good reason because your mind is made up and you don't want to listen to any other opinion on it. Everyone has their opinions and thats fine. Don't pretend you're open to hearing others on this subject. Legitimately not sure what you're talking about on knowing 'the real reason' for this extension.

This is definitely my last post on this subject (I'm sure most of you are thinking 'thank God'). This is the definition of arguing with a brick wall. This could go on all night and obviously not get anywhere with it.

He's just messing with ya Catsrgood. A lot of these posters here actually are fairly football smart and they see what Choate is doing. Ask any of them if they want to place a bet on whether or not MSU has a winning season in 2018! You'll probably hear crickets.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Oh I know, I'm not too worried about it. Most posters on here can actually talk football and know what they're talking about. I've had good back and forth with people that aren't too overly bias. That's frankly why I get on here fairly often. It's more active right now and they like talking Cat football, just look at all the threads on it.

I said I was done... Starting...... Now.
1Ih03G.gif
The person that knows the reason that an extension is a good thing is AD Leon Costello. I am sure his reasons are valid.

CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:

That's fine, but I've not read a single good reason to do this now rather than waiting until after the 2018 campaign. If he was going to bolt for an FBS coordinator job, he wasn't going to be your guy anyway.

When it really boils down to it, we all know why MSU offered the extension. Cat fans shouldn't have to cloak it in terms of "program direction" and "toughness".

You haven't read a good reason because your mind is made up and you don't want to listen to any other opinion on it. Everyone has their opinions and thats fine. Don't pretend you're open to hearing others on this subject. Legitimately not sure what you're talking about on knowing 'the real reason' for this extension.

This is definitely my last post on this subject (I'm sure most of you are thinking 'thank God'). This is the definition of arguing with a brick wall. This could go on all night and obviously not get anywhere with it.

CDA, you’re doing God’s work. One thing that has not been discussed with this blind extension is the fact that the Choate-led Bobcats literally run a misplaced, prehistoric offense, meaning before the advent of the forward pass, and in the pass-happy BSC. The Choate-els all got their chests puffed out like they’re going to be killers someday but they’ve neglected the single most important position on the field. For some reason, they call this oversight “vision” (which makes for a cute, albeit misspelled, Choate-led hashtag, but is incredibly ironic). Thus, saying Choate-otles is a great recruiter is like saying Atari is cutting edge in the online streaming market. Double whammy

Choated-ed did not get extended because of how great they played; he got extended because how bad the Griz played. Odd but I guess it happens around the world. E.g., sometimes someone gets promoted, not because of merit, but because it appears they are doing a good job when in reality, their competition is doing a really bad job

Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Everyone keeps saying that the Cats were such a good team..and sooo many of their losses were by one possession.

Ok say the same thing about the Griz...2 of our 4 losses were by one possession. the only bad losses we had all year were to Washington by a million and Weber State by 2 TDs.

By Cats logic the Griz are that close to being 9-2 last year......only difference is we fired our coach...

You guys are so freaking delusional about what you have over there its unreal.

Ok

Whats wrong about what I said?

The Griz actually had a winning record and missed the playoffs by 1 game...but nobody over here was saying..ya were building a winning program ready to compete for championships...everyone was genuinely pissed off at a coach with a winning record.

Did many people on here feel that Stitt was taking the program in the right direction? I don’t think many people here felt that Stitt was building a championship level program. In my opinion, Stitt was similar to Ash, you just got rid of him sooner than we did. Ash was always good for a winning record and a few conference championships but they had plateaued and were never going to make a legit run at the National Championship. Although, I was a little surprised that Stitt was let go this year, I was expecting one more year as a make or break year.

Just like Cat fans are happy-ish with the 2 wins over the griz, how would griz fans have felt about Stitt if he had been 3-0 against the Cats but had the same overall record? I’m sure there wouldn’t have been nearly as many people calling for his head.

Not saying that Cat/Griz is the only thing that matters, but don’t underestimate it. I would be willing to bet that Choate wouldn’t have received an extension at this time if he was 0-2 against the Griz with the same overall record as he has.

If Stitt would have been 3-0 against the Cats we would have made the Playoffs all 3 years and he would still be here.

garizzalies said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:

CDA, you’re doing God’s work. One thing that has not been discussed with this blind extension is the fact that the Choate-led Bobcats literally run a misplaced, prehistoric offense, meaning before the advent of the forward pass, and in the pass-happy BSC. The Choate-els all got their chests puffed out like they’re going to be killers someday but they’ve neglected the single most important position on the field. For some reason, they call this oversight “vision” (which makes for a cute, albeit misspelled, Choate-led hashtag, but is incredibly ironic). Thus, saying Choate-otles is a great recruiter is like saying Atari is cutting edge in the online streaming market. Double whammy

Choated-ed did not get extended because of how great they played; he got extended because how bad the Griz played. Odd but I guess it happens around the world. E.g., sometimes someone gets promoted, not because of merit, but because it appears they are doing a good job when in reality, their competition is doing a really bad job

So were thinking Choat-led could be Choat-leading one of the great cons of the 21st century?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:

The Griz actually had a winning record and missed the playoffs by 1 game...but nobody over here was saying..ya were building a winning program ready to compete for championships...everyone was genuinely pissed off at a coach with a winning record.

Did many people on here feel that Stitt was taking the program in the right direction? I don’t think many people here felt that Stitt was building a championship level program. In my opinion, Stitt was similar to Ash, you just got rid of him sooner than we did. Ash was always good for a winning record and a few conference championships but they had plateaued and were never going to make a legit run at the National Championship. Although, I was a little surprised that Stitt was let go this year, I was expecting one more year as a make or break year.

Just like Cat fans are happy-ish with the 2 wins over the griz, how would griz fans have felt about Stitt if he had been 3-0 against the Cats but had the same overall record? I’m sure there wouldn’t have been nearly as many people calling for his head.

Not saying that Cat/Griz is the only thing that matters, but don’t underestimate it. I would be willing to bet that Choate wouldn’t have received an extension at this time if he was 0-2 against the Griz with the same overall record as he has.

If Stitt would have been 3-0 against the Cats we would have made the Playoffs all 3 years and he would still be here.

And this would be Choate's watershed year: he would not yet have a 3-year extension in hand.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda and if the queen had another organ...you don't in this day and age, give coaches (and their staff) one year contracts! I just read a coordinator signed a 2 million dollar contract. School administrators get five year contracts for a reason (except in Montana). Haslam ought to be offering both basketball coaches the maximum extensions the BOR will allow as many years out as allowable.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Woulda, coulda, shoulda and if the queen had another organ...you don't in this day and age, give coaches (and their staff) one year contracts! I just read a coordinator signed a 2 million dollar contract. School administrators get five year contracts for a reason (except in Montana). Haslam ought to be offering both basketball coaches the maximum extensions the BOR will allow as many years out as allowable.

And you DEFINITELY don't give a losing HC any kind of extension before his current contract is up unless, of course, you care more about one game than a winning tradition.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

And you DEFINITELY don't give a losing HC any kind of extension before his current contract is up unless, of course, you care more about one game than a winning tradition.

Unless you have knowledge as to what said coach stepped into and had to purge. Much easier to build a program from scratch such as Brian Bohannon than have to tear it down and rebuild. Choate got a dysfunctional atmosphere and his young staff did a decent job his first year although physically outmanned at virtually every phase of the team, especially the lines and receiving positions. Last year his lines were a bit better but his receivers were high school level.

Spring practice will tell whether they improved enough to offset the many motion penalties inside the twenty last year and receivers who either ran the wrong routes or quit on the plays. Pretty damning information when the coaches show what play was called and where the break down happened.

Anyway, that's why these ADs make the big bucks the Big Sky is noted for...

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:

What I asked was; If Stitt had the same overall record, but was 3-0 against the Cats, would he still be the coach and/or would as many people be calling for his head? Meaning.... He would have had to lose to two other teams, thus creating the same overall record in that time frame, so no playoffs still those last two years.

Reading comprehension can be tough, we'll get there though...

Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

What I asked was; If Stitt had the same overall record, but was 3-0 against the Cats, would he still be the coach and/or would as many people be calling for his head? Meaning.... He would have had to lose to two other teams, thus creating the same overall record in that time frame, so no playoffs still those last two years.

Stitt would be gone b/c no playoffs for two years, regardless of his record against the Cats.
Choach lives despite no playoffs because of his record against the Griz.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Haslam ought to be offering both basketball coaches the maximum extensions the BOR will allow as many years out as allowable.
You could not have puked up a worse hair-ball with that analogy
Those are winning coaches. That’s the whole point—you extend winners, not losers. How fucking hard is this?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Unless you have knowledge as to what said coach stepped into and had to purge. Much easier to build a program from scratch such as Brian Bohannon than have to tear it down and rebuild. Choate got a dysfunctional atmosphere and his young staff did a decent job his first year although physically outmanned at virtually every phase of the team, especially the lines and receiving positions. Last year his lines were a bit better but his receivers were high school level.

Spring practice will tell whether they improved enough to offset the many motion penalties inside the twenty last year and receivers who either ran the wrong routes or quit on the plays. Pretty damning information when the coaches show what play was called and where the break down happened.

Again, I don't deny any of that. That's not the point. The point is there was no reason to extend the contract now, rather than at the end of the term.

-If he goes 9-2 in 2018, go ahead and sign him for 20 years.

-If he goes 2-9 in 2018, would you rather have him already signed up for 2019 (and likely beyond), or be able to tell him to GTFO with no contract in the way?

Anyway, I think your last line pretty much sums up this decision. I agree completely. :lol:

Question for cat fans. I don't follow your program very close so please be kind.
Ash did a good job won a ton of games but could not make it to the chipper. Last couple seasons for him were down and maybe players had lost faith. So what is this big "change in culture" that coach choate is getting credit for? You had great players during Ashs' years but now choate is upgrading the team? is that not a slap in the face to the players that won you guys those conference championships? Kind of, but they lost "it" along the way under Ash. Happens pretty much every time you change the HC. You saw it with Stitt, remember him saying "Sometimes graduation is a good thing."? You'll see it with Hauck when he cleans house and starts over.
He has swagger the team will be tough, but will they win?? Yes. What part of your team have you seen the most improvement in since Choate got there?? Why has he not switched QB's? Because there wasn't a good option. now there are several, but my belief is that Murray will be the QB. His trajectory and development as a passer is very similar to McGhee and Prukop. As others have stated, our WRs have been a huge problem.
What has your team shown other then close losses that make you think they can compete for conference title or make playoffs? Because we competed well and damn near beat some of the best teams in the country, and we did it while playing a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds.
Lastly if Choate is 0-2 or 1-1 against Montana does he still get all this credit for being a great coach? Or is it easier knowing that at least one of those 2 losses kept Montana from playoffs so at least both programs were home for Thanksgiving??
These are legit questions not a smart ass griz fan poking fun please answer.
You could be building the next NDSU IDK! Explain why you all seem to think so.

Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I interpreted it as if Stitt had the same overall record that Bob Stitt had, not Choate. Typing comprehension can be tough, you'll probably never get there.

The correct way to phrase that question would have been... If Stitt had the same overall record as Choate.......

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Catsrgrood said:

I interpreted it as if Stitt had the same overall record that Bob Stitt had, not Choate. Typing comprehension can be tough, you'll probably never get there.

The correct way to phrase that question would have been... If Stitt had the same overall record as Choate.......

Hang with me here... we’re talking about Stitt.
Stitt went 6-5 last year with a loss to the Cats, correct? What if he went 6-5 with a win against the Cats.
He went 7-4 this year with a loss to the Cats, right? What if he went 7-4 with a win against the Cats?

This is what I’m talking about, if he had the same overall record he finished with, BUT he beat the Cats each time, would he still be the coach right now?

Other people get it, not sure what you’re not getting. Either you’re trolling or you really do have some reading comprehension issues going on. I was only half joking the first time...

CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Again, I don't deny any of that. That's not the point. The point is there was no reason to extend the contract now, rather than at the end of the term.

-If he goes 9-2 in 2018, go ahead and sign him for 20 years.

-If he goes 2-9 in 2018, would you rather have him already signed up for 2019 (and likely beyond), or be able to tell him to GTFO with no contract in the way?

Anyway, I think your last line pretty much sums up this decision. I agree completely. :lol:

From what I understand, and this is nothing but family talk, there was reason to provide job security.

Let's face facts: just about all conference coaches are about the equivalent of high school coaches salary wise in many states and their assistants are less than a beginning teacher in many states. MSU with their budget surplus is not out anything really if they decide to buy them out the middle of next year.

If the trajectory holds true, it's a wise investment. If it's a mistake, minimize the damage and get another sucker in who'll work for nothing. Choate is taking a gamble and so is Waded and Costello. Most of Waded's risks have turned out pretty well for her.

Back