• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 More Years for Choate

catsack said:
Catsrgrood said:
jcu27 said:
Catsrgrood said:
How about giving more than 20 minutes in the middle of the day when most people are working?

I’m ok with the extension, I would imagine that the details are something more along the lines of 3 one year deals. So I think he’s still along in a prove it year or there will start to be some more complaints.

I hesitate to say Choate is building a championship program right now because I think that’s being overstated and it’s yet to be seen of it has any merit. What can’t be denied is that Choate has absolutely changed the mentality of the program and is building a strong program from the ground up. This team competed hard in every game last year, without competent QB play and was literally a couple of plays away from being a playoff team, Multiple single digit losses could have been wins and 7-4 would have gotten this team to the playoffs with their SOS. I know a lot of teams can say this, so it’s a coulda woulda shoulda thing, but it’s not like they were 5-6 with wins against d2 schools and getting beat by 20 by other BSC schools.
I fully expect this year to be different and be a contender. Win the Big Sky? Probably not, but I don’t think top 4 or 5 with a 7-4 record or better is out of the question.

:? 7-4 would not of got the bobkittens in. Period. I like the counting of could have been wins... I wonder how the griz would have fared with could have been wins... I shall check and be back.

Agree to disagree. It’s a moot point obviously, but pick any 2 of the Cats losses and turn them into wins and tell me their resume last year doesn’t put them into the playoffs.

And yes, pick any one of the griz losses and turn it into a win and they’re in the playoffs too.

8-3 with a weaker SOS would have had the griz in the playoffs and 7-4 with a stronger SOS would have most likely had the Cats in the playoffs. Not sure too many people would argue that.

You guys could have beet SDSU AND K STATE and still would not make it!! No way the big sky gets four teams in we are not that strong of conference!! The only way the cats get in at 7-4 is Lito bid!!!

Lito bid??

Catsrgrood said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Three one-year extensions? That makes no sense. What coach (or potential coach) would sign that deal?

Didn’t Hauck sign 7 individual 1 year deals the first time he was at UM?

I don’t understand what everyone’s hang up is on this right now. Nobody knows the terms of the extension but yet everyone demands answers and when someone speculates on what the terms might be, he gets called out and is told that’s a terrible contract, MSU is so dumb for doing that, etc. It’s all speculation right now...
Yes he did sign seven one year contracts,they were not signed in advance though! It wasn't till he left that they were aloud to sign multi year contracts ! Who in there right mind would sign a three year contract that was only one year at a time with no buyout!! The only reason he would sign that is no buyout for him to leave for greener pastures!!

catsack said:
Catsrgrood said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Three one-year extensions? That makes no sense. What coach (or potential coach) would sign that deal?

I don’t understand what everyone’s hang up is on this right now. Nobody knows the terms of the extension but yet everyone demands answers and when someone speculates on what the terms might be, he gets called out and is told that’s a terrible contract, MSU is so dumb for doing that, etc. It’s all speculation right now...
Yes he did sign seven one year contracts,they were not signed in advance though! It wasn't till he left that they were aloud to sign multi year contracts ! Who in there right mind would sign a three year contract that was only one year at a time with no buyout!! The only reason he would sign that is no buyout for him to leave for greener pastures!!

I wasn't sure how that was broken down, that was an honest question, I had just heard that at some point.
And if I'm reading he second part of your paragraph correctly, you answered your own question. A contract like that can be mutually beneficial. MSU can get out from underneath it if he doesn't perform with minimal to no buyout. Choate in turn could go elsewhere if the opportunity arises to be a head coach at the next level. In the meantime, it at least appears to show some stability for the program and future recruits.

As I mentioned before, this is purely speculation, nobody knows how this thing is structured at the moment.

CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I think the extensions came one after the other, not all at once, but I have to plead ignorance.

As to your second paragraph, I simply think it's odd to extend a coach (for whatever term) before his current contract is up when the coach hasn't had a winning season. I don't really care about the terms, the extension itself is what puzzles me.

Like marrying a woman who has always been ugly because she says she'll be hot soon. Why not date for another year and see what the surgeons can do?

My wife bought that argument. Unfortunately for her, the surgeons (same as Micheal Jackson's) did all they could but by most objective measures, failed.

Catsrgrood said:
catsack said:
Catsrgrood said:
jcu27 said:
:? 7-4 would not of got the bobkittens in. Period. I like the counting of could have been wins... I wonder how the griz would have fared with could have been wins... I shall check and be back.

Agree to disagree. It’s a moot point obviously, but pick any 2 of the Cats losses and turn them into wins and tell me their resume last year doesn’t put them into the playoffs.

And yes, pick any one of the griz losses and turn it into a win and they’re in the playoffs too.

8-3 with a weaker SOS would have had the griz in the playoffs and 7-4 with a stronger SOS would have most likely had the Cats in the playoffs. Not sure too many people would argue that.

You guys could have beet SDSU AND K STATE and still would not make it!! No way the big sky gets four teams in we are not that strong of conference!! The only way the cats get in at 7-4 is Lito bid!!!

Lito bid??
Auto bid don't what my phone did there!

catsack said:
Catsrgrood said:
catsack said:
Catsrgrood said:

Lito bid??
Auto bid don't what my phone did there!

Haha, I figured it was an autocorrect thing, just couldn't decipher what it was meant to say!

This is getting to be a long thread on something nobody knows the details on. Apparently, the AD Costello likes the job Choate is doing and he doesn’t want to lose him and wanted to show stability in the program which helps recruiting. People are excited about the direction Choate is taking the program. On the other hand Griz fans are happy to have Hauck back and think he will crush it again. Will be fun to watch it play out on both sides. In the meantime this thread is moot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsky33 said:
This is getting to be a long thread on something nobody knows the details on. Apparently, the AD Costello likes the job Choate is doing and he doesn’t want to lose him and wanted to show stability in the program which helps recruiting. People are excited about the direction Choate is taking the program. On the other hand Griz fans are happy to have Hauck back and think he will crush it again. Will be fun to watch it play out on both sides. In the meantime this thread is moot.

But it gives people not directly involved something to talk about! Hell, there's even a thread about conditioning somewhere for those who never had to put kids through that before spring ball starts--next month some places!

Nebraska (I know, what else is there to do there) sold out their spring game!

bigsky33 said:

The only detail we know is that an administration extended a losing HC who led a team to its first back-to-back losing seasons since 2000-2001 before his current contract was up, and "people are excited about the direction of the program" somehow.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

The only detail we know is that an administration extended a losing HC who led a team to its first back-to-back losing seasons since 2000-2001 before his current contract was up, and "people are excited about the direction of the program" somehow.

:dead:

I think Player Rep put it perfectly about 2 pages ago. If you can't look at the team Choate is building and the way they play for him and honestly say they haven't improved over the last couple years of Ash's teams, then you're just not being honest, or you don't know football.
We can revisit this in a couple years. If Choate goes 5-6, 6-5 another year or two, then I'll be the first one to say he can recruit, but he can't seem to get the most out of his guys when it counts. I'm thinking it will be the opposite and the Cats will be near the top of the Big Sky again for the foreseeable future. Time will tell. But I do love how there are a few of you that apparently know exactly how this will all play out already.

Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

That's fine, but I've not read a single good reason to do this now rather than waiting until after the 2018 campaign. If he was going to bolt for an FBS coordinator job, he wasn't going to be your guy anyway.

When it really boils down to it, we all know why MSU offered the extension. Cat fans shouldn't have to cloak it in terms of "program direction" and "toughness".

CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

That's fine, but I've not read a single good reason to do this now rather than waiting until after the 2018 campaign. If he was going to bolt for an FBS coordinator job, he wasn't going to be your guy anyway.

When it really boils down to it, we all know why MSU offered the extension. Cat fans shouldn't have to cloak it in terms of "program direction" and "toughness".

You haven't read a good reason because your mind is made up and you don't want to listen to any other opinion on it. Everyone has their opinions and thats fine. Don't pretend you're open to hearing others on this subject. Legitimately not sure what you're talking about on knowing 'the real reason' for this extension.

This is definitely my last post on this subject (I'm sure most of you are thinking 'thank God'). This is the definition of arguing with a brick wall. This could go on all night and obviously not get anywhere with it.

Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You haven't read a good reason because your mind is made up and you don't want to listen to any other opinion on it. Everyone has their opinions and thats fine. Don't pretend you're open to hearing others on this subject. Legitimately not sure what you're talking about on knowing 'the real reason' for this extension.

This is definitely my last post on this subject (I'm sure most of you are thinking 'thank God'). This is the definition of arguing with a brick wall. This could go on all night and obviously not get anywhere with it.

He's just messing with ya Catsrgood. A lot of these posters here actually are fairly football smart and they see what Choate is doing. Ask any of them if they want to place a bet on whether or not MSU has a winning season in 2018! You'll probably hear crickets.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The only reasons I've read are (1) people like the way the program is heading (odd because two losing seasons in a row for the first time since 2000-2001), and (2) he was being wooed by a FBS school for a coordinator position (if he left, he's not the savior you want him to be).

He got the extension because the most important thing for the MSU program is the Griz. It's OK to say it.

poorgriz said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:

He's just messing with ya Catsrgood. A lot of these posters here actually are fairly football smart and they see what Choate is doing. Ask any of them if they want to place a bet on whether or not MSU has a winning season in 2018! You'll probably hear crickets.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Oh I know, I'm not too worried about it. Most posters on here can actually talk football and know what they're talking about. I've had good back and forth with people that aren't too overly bias. That's frankly why I get on here fairly often. It's more active right now and they like talking Cat football, just look at all the threads on it.

I said I was done... Starting...... Now.
1Ih03G.gif

CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:

The only reasons I've read are (1) people like the way the program is heading (odd because two losing seasons in a row for the first time since 2000-2001), and (2) he was being wooed by a FBS school for a coordinator position (if he left, he's not the savior you want him to be).

He got the extension because the most important thing for the MSU program is the Griz. It's OK to say it.

Counting Ash's last year, it's actually three in a row...just clarification for arguments sake.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Counting Ash's last year, it's actually three in a row...just clarification for arguments sake.

True. Thanks. I was talking more about under a certain coach, but you make a good point. Ash, who has to be among the winningest coaches in program history, got canned after his first losing season. Choactchc gets and extension after two losers in a row. Might it have something to do with the Griz?

MT Head Guy said:
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do."

Zany bro!

How many fools masquerade as a fan of another team on a message board, for 13 years, and still think they didn't first blow their cover in like 2006? One springs to mind.

CDAGRIZ said:

Did Stitt lose his job solely because of the losses to the Cats? Or were there other things involved behind the scenes like Ash? Combination of both maybe?

Back