• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitts interview....

When Stitt was asked if the scrimmage was a success...

"Its a huge success.
Unfortunately, a lot of people grade a scrimmage off of how the offense looks. Our Defense is awesome, it was a great scrimmage because of the way our defense played. And its tough on an offense, when you're playing and running the same plays everyday against the same guys and they get a feel for what you're doing. Again, Im not going take anything away from our defense, they're good and they are hard to go against. So I think this was a great scrimmage today to get our defense out there and play the way they did."

Coach Stitt has a great football mind, and is a very, very like-able guy... one that I am very glad to have leading our program. He is building something big.

He mentioned wanting to have the Spring Game every year in Butte... I would love the pigskin out of that!

Question - With Caleb Hill today, just how happy were you with how well he played last week in Missoula and came out here and threw the ball well again?

Answer (Stitt) - He (Hill) looked good throwing the ball. What Caleb can do is pull it down and run with it a little bit also...he's a big, strong guy, he can hurt you with his legs. Caleb was probably the slowest coming along this spring because he was the newest guy. Everyday he gets better, he gets more comfortable with what we're doing...people want to play man-to-man (pressure the QB) and he can get up there through the OL and take off, he's going to make you pay."

IntuitiveGriz said:
Question - With Caleb Hill today, just how happy were you with how well he played last week in Missoula and came out here and threw the ball well again?

Answer (Stitt) - He (Hill) looked good throwing the ball. What Caleb can do is pull it down and run with it a little bit also...he's a big, strong guy, he can hurt you with his legs. Caleb was probably the slowest coming along this spring because he was the newest guy. Everyday he gets better, he gets more comfortable with what we're doing...people want to play man-to-man (pressure the QB) and he can get up there through the OL and take off, he's going to make you pay."

Huh, I thought Stitt's offense doesn't need a QB that can run to be effective....? Not sure how many times I read that posted in this forum. When you give up a an option then you just make your offense easier to defend. I welcome having a QB that can insert some uncertainty into the minds of defenders by stretching out plays.

Grisly Fan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Huh, I thought Stitt's offense doesn't need a QB that can run to be effective....? Not sure how many times I read that posted in this forum.

I don't see where he said it did in that comment.

QB competition will be fierce this fall. I still believe Phillips starts as the #1 then loses that to Gresch...Hill is going to make noise.

Grisly Fan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Huh, I thought Stitt's offense doesn't need a QB that can run to be effective....? Not sure how many times I read that posted in this forum. When you give up a an option then you just make your offense easier to defend. I welcome having a QB that can insert some uncertainty into the minds of defenders by stretching out plays.

Go look at the offensive stats from the previous 4-5 years Stitt was at Mines. He always had a QB who was successful at running the football. Some people who post on this forum aren't very good at researching or knowing what they're talking about.

MrTitleist said:
Grisly Fan said:

Go look at the offensive stats from the previous 4-5 years Stitt was at Mines. He always had a QB who was successful at running the football. Some people who post on this forum aren't very good at researching or knowing what they're talking about.
I think what Fan is referring to is Stitt's going w/ Gustafson, who was not mobile. That made me wonder, too: What kind of QB does Stitt's O require?

MrTitleist said:
Grisly Fan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Agree, you need to have a qb that is not only willing but capable of keeping the ball on our read option at least 3-4 times a game. Since most of our runs are based off that look and formation.

If you dont have that threat ever..your run game sucks..like our did the last two years with Brady.

Everyone knew he wasnt willing to keep that option.

Grizzoola said:
MrTitleist said:
Grisly Fan said:

I think what Fan is referring to is Stitt's going w/ Gustafson, who was not mobile. That made me wonder, too: What kind of QB does Stitt's O require?

Been hashed over too many times to count but I'll give my perspective. Brady showed the ability to grasp and run the offense better than anyone else at Stitt's disposal. He didn't really have a choice to go with someone else. If he could have a QB with the cerebral ability of Brady and also ability to run, he would have gone that route in a hurry. He didn't have that at his disposal. He has it now. He had a QB at Mines who earned Natioinal Player of the Year honors with those abilities. Let's see what he does with the dudes he has now.

Grisly Fan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

What Stitt says and what was the actual result, can be pretty different. QB mobility is a plus in any offense. If there isn't a need for the QB to run because things in the normal offense are going well, great. But when things break down or there is a mistake by the defense that allows for a positive gain, what's not to like.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Coach Stitt has a great football mind, and is a very, very like-able guy... one that I am very glad to have leading our program. He is building something big.

He mentioned wanting to have the Spring Game every year in Butte... I would love the pigskin out of that!

I agree 100% IG. He's intelligent, articulate, has great enthusiasm, and knows and loves football. I just don't get all the haters.

An immobile QB in college football is a sitting duck. Pro QBs like Brady & Manning had OLs that could protect them in the pocket. College OLs, generally, are not as talented.

Allezchat said:
How is GJ'S mobility?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very strong in high school. Not sure how it translates to college. He seems to be the best at actually staying in the pocket, moving a bit and keeping eyes down field for receivers and good throws. In high school he ran for 1485 yards, averaged 48 yards per game, and scored 19 rushing TDs

daGrizJ said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I agree 100% IG. He's intelligent, articulate, has great enthusiasm, and knows and loves football. I just don't get all the haters.
I wonder whether losing four of the last five games (including to a poor MSU team at home) could have anything to do with it.

daGrizJ said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I agree with Kem, Stitt has opened himself up for being judged. We should have never lost to a really bad one dimensional cat team and that was the final straw for some fans. I dont always like how some people attack Stitt and I am on his side at least for one more year, but I might join the "haiters" if he has another year like last year.

I am tired of Stitt's constant sunshine and rainbows evaluation of his teams. If there is a problem identify in generalities without demeaning anyone(like Mike Leach does daily)...But if the offense is struggling, say it is struggling, instead of making excuses that "our defense is really good" "they see these plays all of the time and are ready for what we do".

Back