• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post fall-camp thoughts and 2014 outlook

BWahlberg

DONOR
As fall camp has now drawn to a close I wanted to get together my thoughts on the outlook for this season. While my work has kept me away from most recent practices I thought I’d share some thoughts and the Griz are just a little over 1 week from their first game of the season.

Top 3 reasons for a successful season

1. Jordan Johnson and the skill he has surrounding him. JJ now enters his 3rd year as a starting QB for the Griz, he excelled in last years system and now with another year under his belt it’s showing that he’s only going to be better this year. Add in he’s got most all of his WRs back from last year and younger WRs are starting to emerge like Naccarato, Burke, Rogers, Carlson, and Janssen to add in with Jamaal Jones and hopefully Ellis Henderson at some point. JJ has three good pass catching running backs and a few tall TEs including converted WR Mitch Saylor. This could be one of the better groups a Griz QB has been surrounded with. As long as JJ is given the freedom to play his game and hopefully operate and run things as he reads defenses I think he’ll be able to once again put up huge numbers.

2. The speed and depth of the defense. Teams are going to be very surprised at the improvement in speed and the developed depth of this defense. Safety has 4, maybe 5 guys that can play, corner has at least 3, maybe 4, OLB and MLB is set with 6 guys that will rotate a ton, the D-line is stacked too. I’ve seen seasons before where a team without much depth wears out at the end of games and the end of seasons – because the full load is being thrown on the starters shoulders. As long as the depth is managed properly this defense has a chance to improve on their numbers from last year. Another big upgrade to this defense has been the speed and pass coverage, especially with our OLBs. With all due respect to Tripp and Kanongata’a – I see better overall pass coverage from Gamboa, Van Ack, Schye, and Lebsock. Some of these pass-heavy teams that burned the Griz up last season might not find things to be so easy this season. Putting it together, a defense that can stay fresh through the game better and will be quicker on the field, we’ll see more swarming to the ball, less issues with defenders missing tackles and being out on an island, and all around more efficient play out of this defense.

3. The D-line is incredible. On the field the only loss from last year was Bienemann, who was the fire and passion of the group, although he’s back as a student assistant now – so his presence will still be there on the sideline. Wags is one of the best in the FCS, Holmes is not too far behind him. Takai, Kidder, Rehm, and Peevey in the middle make an incredible 4-man rotation at two spots, and these guys will not only stuff the run but get after the QBs as well. Backing up at d-end we’ve got Crittenden and Johnson as well as improving converted players like Owen and Richards. This D-line is being labeled as one of the best in the FCS, what I hope is that this year they learned a lesson from the season before – where a group widely panned as “the best front 7” in all of the FCS read a few too many press clippings and didn’t really follow through on the field.

Top 3 challenges this season

1. The offensive line. I’m encouraged by the progress of the O-line over the course of the fall but it’s still the biggest unknown and possibly the single most key piece to success this year. The interior line looks to be in good shape with Weyer, the Hines brothers, and Todd – where I’ll bet there’s a lot of rotation. There’s good experience there and I’m awfully curious if Robert Luke might also break through if he’s called up. The tackle situation is delicate, at best. Devon Dietrich has moved to RT and has actually caught the attention of many as he’s improved and showing signs of being a serviceable player, also we should be prepared to see him there all of the season. LT will get better when Schmaing returns, I’m not meaning to knock on Theibes because I think in a few years time he actually could become a great tackle, I’m just not sure if he’s ready to be JJ’s blind-side protector just yet. Thiebes footwork and hands aren’t bad, he seems to get a lot of praise about his pad level and being in the right place at the right time. Gragg clearly wants guys that are better technicians and knowledgeable at their spot than guys that are just burly road-plows. I was thinking Kelly and LaRowe would be ready, but apparently they’re not. I’m not sure how long until Schmaing returns from his appendix issue – his return will vastly help.

2. The kicking game. It sounds like no kicker has been named, recent reports list Lider with the #1s while Greenberg and Sullivan are with the 2s. Greenberg opened camp strong but has been hopped by Lider it seems (if Speltz’s reports are accurate). Lider concerns me, he’s got a history of key misses, including I think 2 or 3 missed PATs last season. If he’s the best we’ve got then it could be another bumpy season. Last year against CCU in the playoffs the Griz had two turnovers on downs due to a lack of confidence in kicking, that could’ve altered the game entirely if they would’ve been able to get points out of those drives. I’m expecting probably another bumpy up and down season from the kickers, I’ll bet all three get their chance this season.

3. The road schedule. @Wyo, @NDSU, @UND, @CPSLO, @ SUU, @EWU. This is the toughest road schedule I’ve seen the Griz have, maybe ever. A 3-3 road record is maybe the best bet we’ll get. The Poly game might’ve lost some luster due to their off-season issues but their defense is still stout and they’ll still be running their crazy offense. We play the #1 and #2 teams both in their houses. We go to Wyo to open the season with a patchwork O-line. SUU was a playoff team last year with a great defense. UND looks to be the only game where the Griz would be heavily favored. This is the one thing that’s largely out of the coaches and players control – except to prepare and show up and do their best. Things happen, some teams may fall off (remember EWU bottomed out and went 0-4 to open the season after their national championship win) but I see a lot of difficult road games here.

------------------------

There’s a lot that I like in this team that doesn’t show up in the stat books either. Team chemistry and support is great, there’s a great distribution of talent and upper-classmen leadership in this group. The coaches now are building upon a base offense and defense that’s been established for 2 years on offense and 3 years on defense – they know what needs improvement and where to go with it. In talking with Mike Gerber one day he told me that he sees as much cohesion and talent in this group as he saw in the 2008 and 2009 teams – that’s a great compliment to a group of guys that have really been through a lot of ups and downs. This team isn’t perfect, it’s far from it, but I like this group and I think we’re going to see a lot of improvements this season on some past frustrations as fans. This season will not be without its head-scratchers, angry/upsetting moments, or WTF thoughts, but no season is perfect.

There’s so many variables but assuming what I’ve seen in camp and a season that isn’t decimated by injuries I see a 9-3 Griz team at the end of the regular season. A 6-0 home record and a 3-3 road record. We might be 2-2 just 4 games in but the Griz should have an opportunity to catch fire and get rolling into a strong 2nd half of the season.

I can’t wait for the Wyo game to kick off, I’m looking forward to seeing these guys and to cheering them on. As always, GO GRIZ!

That's a great write up. My only opinion is that its a make or break year for our coaching staff. We have a solid group of guys on this years team. This will be their 3rd year together, so no more excuses..

Im hoping for a great season, go Griz!

grizcountry420 said:
That's a great write up. My only opinion is that its a make or break year for our coaching staff. We have a solid group of guys on this years team. This will be their 3rd year together, so no more excuses..

Except for Delaney's age and it being the last year of his contract (isn't it?), why would this year be a make or break year?

The team was 10-3 last year, and received a seed in the playoffs. In '12, Delaney became the head coach late in the spring, inherited most of the assistants, used the existing spread-like offense, and had to operate without the star qb (and without any qb who had completed a single pass in college). Yes, very disappointing season.

It is not true that that this is their 3d year together. The old OC, safety coach, special teams coach, and strength coach are gone.

What excuses have the coaches ever made? I haven't noticed any.

If UM makes the playoffs, and Delaney wants to stay, what do you think UM should do? Fire a coach that gets into the playoffs 2 years in a row (and probably lose many of the assistants, unless one of them was the replacement)?

Outstanding summary Brint...as usual. REALLY looking forward to your first scouting report for the Wyoming game next week. :clap: :thumb:

GO GRIZ!

PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:

Except for Delaney's age and it being the last year of his contract (isn't it?), why would this year be a make or break year?

The team was 10-3 last year, and received a seed in the playoffs. In '12, Delaney became the head coach late in the spring, inherited most of the assistants, used the existing spread-like offense, and had to operate without the star qb (and without any qb who had completed a single pass in college). Yes, very disappointing season.

It is not true that that this is their 3d year together. The old OC, safety coach, special teams coach, and strength coach are gone.

If UM makes the playoffs, and Delaney wants to stay, what do you think UM should do? Fire a coach that gets into the playoffs 2 years in a row (and probably lose many of the assistants, unless one of them was the replacement)?

Good points PR... I just think that they aren't getting the best out of their players... JMO.. I don't want to argue with you so I'll just leave it at that.

:p

PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:

I can't speak for everyone else, but IMO just making the playoffs isn't good enough. It seems like our fans' expectations have been lowered greatly over the last few years with Griz football. Anything short of a national title appearance should be rather disappointing to this program, its coaches, its fans, and most importantly its players. I would say every Griz player would agree with that. Just making the playoffs shouldn't be something this team strives for. So if Delaney makes the playoffs and we are one and done or two and a barbecue, then time to bring in a coach who will get us back to title games. Just my two cents...

I agree in theory. But there's a huge difference between "strive for" and "expect".

Look, we got spoiled BAD during our terrific run (and even then there were a number of 1st round playoff exits).

But it's just completely unrealistic to "expect" a national title contender every year. Should that be the goal? Of course. Should it be an expectation? No.

EverettGriz said:
I agree in theory. But there's a huge difference between "strive for" and "expect".

Look, we got spoiled BAD during our terrific run (and even then there were a number of 1st round playoff exits).

But it's just completely unrealistic to "expect" a national title contender every year. Should that be the goal? Of course. Should it be an expectation? No.

Totally on board with ya. However, it seemed PR was stating that if Delaney leads the Griz into the playoffs then he should be welcomed back. I don't necessarily agree with that ( and I'm a fan of MD). I don't think a playoff appearance dictates success, especially with the expansion of playoffs and more teams getting in. Couple that with the move up to FBS by strong FCS programs like Appy St and Georgia Southern and it even seems less impressive to just get in. Again, just my humble opinion on all this. I expect big things from this program each year. National title runs are part of that.

griz71 said:
Outstanding summary Brint...as usual. REALLY looking forward to your first scouting report for the Wyoming game next week. :clap: :thumb:

GO GRIZ!

:thumb:

Thanks, working on a new look for this years scouting reports, more visuals and less text, hoping to unveil it on Monday.

BWahlberg said:
griz71 said:

GO GRIZ!

Thanks, working on a new look for this years scouting reports, more visuals and less text, hoping to unveil it on Monday.

All Right! Can't wait. :)

BWahlberg said:
Top 3 challenges this season

1. The offensive line. I’m encouraged by the progress of the O-line over the course of the fall but it’s still the biggest unknown and possibly the single most key piece to success this year. The interior line looks to be in good shape with Weyer, the Hines brothers, and Todd – where I’ll bet there’s a lot of rotation. There’s good experience there and I’m awfully curious if Robert Luke might also break through if he’s called up. The tackle situation is delicate, at best. Devon Dietrich has moved to RT and has actually caught the attention of many as he’s improved and showing signs of being a serviceable player, also we should be prepared to see him there all of the season. LT will get better when Schmaing returns, I’m not meaning to knock on Theibes because I think in a few years time he actually could become a great tackle, I’m just not sure if he’s ready to be JJ’s blind-side protector just yet. Thiebes footwork and hands aren’t pad, he seems to get a lot of praise about his pad level and being in the right place at the right time. Gragg clearly wants guys that are better technicians and knowledgeable at their spot than guys that are just burly road-plows. I was thinking Kelly and LaRowe would be ready, but apparently they’re not. I’m not sure how long until Schmaing returns from his appendix issue – his return will vastly help.

Fantastic summary, BW! A couple of comments from visiting with players at last evening's Great Griz Encounter. First and foremost, though, those players were amazing with the way they dealt with the crowd and especially my little ones - you can tell they really enjoy the hometown support. Wags is an absolute treasure with how kind and respectful he is to the fan base. He took an amazing picture with my oldest daughter, one that she will always love. Thank you players and coaches for all that you give back!!

With regards to the o-line, I talked to Robert Luke and he said he is definitley playing this year. That is one more nice piece to have on the interior of the line that adds high quality depth despite him just being a true freshman. He is absolutely ready to play so play him. Also, I talked to Poole and without him specifically stating it, it is fairly apparent he won't be hitting the field this year. I really feel for this kid. I wish him well with his health and hope something changes so he can find his way back on the field.

Here's looking forward to a truly special season. The pieces are in place, now let them get out there and get it done. National Championship or Bust! Go Griz!

go96griz said:
Also, I talked to Poole and without him specifically stating it, it is fairly apparent he won't be hitting the field this year. I really feel for this kid. I wish him well with his health and hope something changes so he can find his way back on the field.

I'd heard this too which is such a bummer for a good kid from a great family. Hopefully this season and off-season he can get healthy and to where he needs to be.

As for Robert Luke - that guy is an animal, this could solve the interior O-line issue for the years ahead as the coaches could keep Weyer at guard and have Luke as a center with Weyer on his left and Todd on his right.

What Luke probably needs to do is drop a bit of fat and add some muscle but stay over 300. Work on durability this year because if he's an RS frosh or a true sophomore in 2015 he's going to be looking at years of starting opportunities.

Good job Brint,

Please inform player rep, the coach of year was fired, as well, arguably the best AD that has been around for some time, why would it be unreasonable for coach Delaney step down, no matter what his season outcome is, there's talent enough with the staff to hire within.

However, I am certain coach Delaney, will be given another 3 years if he wants it, with a 9-3 season.

Plenty of talented athletes, and surprises on underclass men stepping up.

Hoping the coaching staff, can get it done, more optimistic then after the 2012 season.

griz71 said:
BWahlberg said:
griz71 said:

GO GRIZ!

All Right! Can't wait. :)
Agreed. Once again the Griz Guru comes through very detailed stuff. If it wasn't for u we'd all jus be douchin' the Griz, each other, and watever eles gets in our way. Love your insight and can't wait for Mon.

HookedonGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Totally on board with ya. However, it seemed PR was stating that if Delaney leads the Griz into the playoffs then he should be welcomed back. I don't necessarily agree with that ( and I'm a fan of MD). I don't think a playoff appearance dictates success, especially with the expansion of playoffs and more teams getting in. Couple that with the move up to FBS by strong FCS programs like Appy St and Georgia Southern and it even seems less impressive to just get in. Again, just my humble opinion on all this. I expect big things from this program each year. National title runs are part of that.
Just to be clear, r u saying that if the Griz go say 10-2, get a seed, win one and lose one, Delaney needs to go?

Nice summary, Brint!

I think we'll learn a lot about the O-line against Wyoming. I hope it's good because that is a winnable game!

Go Griz!

Back