• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Washington Redskins are reviewing name of team.

The Red Lodge Redskins changed their name a few years ago to the Rams. So there is undeniable precedent.

Dutch Lane said:
grizindabox said:
We should ask the Gov of Texas if the steps taken in Blue states was just political?
Well the president has come out against the name change. That’s just great, anyone know how long die hard Washington fans have had to put up with this name controversy bullshit, since the 70s man. It’s exhausting. Change it already. Smh
The Redtails is a tough strong name, let’s do it Snyder be a f###[#] man. :clap:

HELENA — Lance Wetzel looks at the Washington Redskins logo and is bombarded with a flurry of positive emotions because the logo itself is symbolic of his family, his culture and his Blackfeet tribal ancestry.

The image depicted on the Redskins helmet is of John "Two Guns" Whitecalf, a Blackfeet Chief whose likeness also appeared on the Buffalo nickel, minted from 1913-38.

The man responsible for the image is the father of Helena High assistant basketball coach Lance Wetzel, Walter "Blackie" Wetzel.

Why doesn't anybody read what's going on. I posted a link from 406mtsports which was an awesome take on the whole situation. Not political... just somebody closely tied to this "whole controversy".

"We only hear what our itching ears want us to hear" both sides.....

Walter Wetzel, a former Blackfeet tribal chairman and National Congress American Indian President, urged the Redskins in 1971 to change their logo from the burgundy and gold "R'" to the image it still has today.

The name, logo and likeness have been mired in controversy because of the racial connotations associated with it. There's historical context to how the Redskins logo and name showcase a different intention than some interpreted, according to Lance Wetzel.

"I took my dad's word that this was a big-time logo representing our people," he said. "You look at the logo and Blackfeet history, and they are considered powerful people. I identify and connect with the logo that way."

rcscott said:
Walter Wetzel, a former Blackfeet tribal chairman and National Congress American Indian President, urged the Redskins in 1971 to change their logo from the burgundy and gold "R'" to the image it still has today.

The name, logo and likeness have been mired in controversy because of the racial connotations associated with it. There's historical context to how the Redskins logo and name showcase a different intention than some interpreted, according to Lance Wetzel.

"I took my dad's word that this was a big-time logo representing our people," he said. "You look at the logo and Blackfeet history, and they are considered powerful people. I identify and connect with the logo that way."

I guess Walter Wetzel=racist..... Who knew??

grizindabox said:
So, is the logo really an issue?

The logo has never been an issue and it’s cool as hell how it came about. He just conflating it with the name to deflect. Lame.

Dutch Lane said:
grizindabox said:
So, is the logo really an issue?

The logo has never been an issue and it’s cool as hell how it came about. He just conflating it with the name to deflect. Lame.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: Who is conflating? I'm simply putting out quotes from an article and using the logic of the world to make this something I don't believe it is.

rcscott said:
Dutch Lane said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: Who is conflating? I'm simply putting out quotes from an article and using the logic of the world to make this something I don't believe it is.

Well can You at least throw out name for the team? Thanks would like to keep thread going on the new name thing.

Dutch Lane said:
rcscott said:

Well can You at least throw out name for the team? Thanks would like to keep thread going on the new name thing.

Ok.... And I promise I'll stop now. How about the Washington REDSKINS!!!!! I've heard it is an honorable tribute to the Blackfeet Nation so I like it. Oh, and I know a few up in the Browning area. Awesome people.
I really really like it.
sidenote--- I used to be a REDSKIN fan until they cancelled a football season. Now I really don't care and am only guilt tripped into wearing Patriots stuff by my buddy. That's another great name for a football team---PATRIOTS

TCCGRIZ said:
Dutch Lane said:
Why don’t you take off also there chiefarooni . This thread is about the new name for the Washington football team. There is another thread about Kaepernick and the Nobel Peace Prize why don’t you pontificate over there and we can have a real back and forth and leave this one to us fans of the NFL team formerly known as the redskins. Thanks for leaving :thumb:

Hey mods can we get a ruling here. Kaepernick has nothing to do with this thread and yet it gets clogged up with all kinda whinny old boomers who are living in denial about our nations racist history. This is a football board and this is a football thread about my beloved Washington (insert new name). There are political boards for this very purpose, there are rules right, this isn’t Vietnam.

There you go showing your lack of intelligence by name calling "chiefarooni ".
You're virtue signaling because of the name Redskins yet you call me "chiefarooni " You are a typical " do as I say , not as I do " type of lefty . Lol
Mods can we shut this down right now , seems Dutch ran out of cream for his vagina !

Just keep ignoring it Dutch, it'll go away !!!
No argument for your name calling = lack of intelligence just like I said

I regard Snyder as one of the worst owners in pro sports, but I must give the team credit for taking a look at the name. He may still wind up adhering to his "never" gonna change the name baloney. But he's just wrong. Red Tails would definitely be a cool name. Braves and warriors would not.
And in the end, I hope the Cleveland baseball club changes it's name to the "Steamers." ;-)

Dutch Lane said:
The Washington Redskins are seriously thinking about a name change after the CEO of Fedex and few others have quietly taken an interest in the matter. The list of some of names under considerations are

The red tails
The red clouds
The Braves
The warriors
The federals
and this one, no name just the “Washington football club”

I like the red tails, name used by the WW II Tuskegee airmen. Honors some African American war heros. Right on :thumb:

grizindabox said:
tourist said:
I gave up on the NFL when they didn't crush Kapernick. They want to cave into whatever the mob wants, let'em. Snyder need to get a set of balls. What is going on today happened to China in 1966. Any one remember/heard of the Red Guards?

Are you going to give up on college football when they kneel?

Damn right! You don't politicize sports. The ancient Greeks put their wars on 'pause' to have the Olympic games. History, evidently, hasn't been taught in any school for several generations.

tourist said:
grizindabox said:
Are you going to give up on college football when they kneel?

Damn right! You don't politicize sports. The ancient Greeks put their wars on 'pause' to have the Olympic games. History, evidently, hasn't been taught in any school for several generations.

Well, good luck with your en devours.

I looked at their record since 2000 and the only logical choice here is the Washington Bobcats.

CDAGRIZ said:
I looked at their record since 2000 and the only logical choice here is the Washington Bobcats.

We do have the exact same amount of wins in that time period, if my math is correct (And I am sure it isnt)

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

We do have the exact same amount of wins in that time period, if my math is correct (And I am sure it isnt)
Close, I have the Redskins 132-131. Griz have 188 for reference.

EcFf7paWoAItBeF

GrizGuy said:
I regard Snyder as one of the worst owners in pro sports, but I must give the team credit for taking a look at the name. He may still wind up adhering to his "never" gonna change the name baloney. But he's just wrong. Red Tails would definitely be a cool name. Braves and warriors would not.
And in the end, I hope the Cleveland baseball club changes it's name to the "Steamers." ;-)

Haha!!

UncleRico said:
GrizGuy said:

Haha!!

Very well played. Lol. Now I hear that it’s going to be “warriors” and they are keeping the logo on helmet. I have always liked the the logo, with the Blackfoot confection but the warriors? Why name yourself after a fucking nba team. Weak but typical. The red tails made too much sense. Fucking Synder what a weasel really do not like him at all.

Back