• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Underrated GRIZ WRs

How has no one mentioned Jabin Sambrano yet, making possibley one of the biggest catches in WaGriz history? Also was an Indianapolis Colt for smidge.

alabamagrizzly said:
How has no one mentioned Jabin Sambrano yet, making possibley one of the biggest catches in WaGriz history? Also was an Indianapolis Colt for smidge.

My teeth are still chattering from that game!

Sambrano was one of my favorite receivers, because of that catch and before that because of his speed. Speed kills.

Zirg said:
smarsh said:
dang, i knew that....he was one of my favorite players to watch when i got to UM. i think i was doing a mash-up of matt clark and mike trevathan. which, incidentally, would have been a pretty good player. i would include matt clark but he was kind of a dick.

Clark and Trevathan were both excellent (and under-rated) receivers. They were reliable route-runners, good hands, decent speed, willing to go over the middle/take a hit. Clark, with his "non-import" Canadian eligibility, had a good career in the CFL with a little help from catching passes from Doug Flutie. I didn't know him, so I have no opinion about him personally but I did know Trevathan, and he was a really nice guy and also had a very good CFL career, which is more impressive as an "import".

Trevathan 1991 - 1997 with the BC Lions:

6,467 rec yards
410 receptions
15.77 rec avg
46 TDs

IntuitiveGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

My teeth are still chattering from that game!

Sambrano was one of my favorite receivers, because of that catch and before that because of his speed. Speed kills.

Not me, I had plenty of layers of liquid long underwear on that game🥳.

alabamagrizzly said:

Wow, nice selection.

mtgrizrule said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Wow, nice selection.

Well, this thread is about underrated WR’s….I dont’ think anyone thinks Sambrano was underrated.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
Wow, nice selection.

Well, this thread is about underrated WR’s….I dont’ think anyone thinks Sambrano was underrated.

He's not mentioned very often. I think he gets lost in the shuffle, by many Griz fans.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
Wow, nice selection.

Who are underrated Griz receivers?

*Everyone starts listing every WR not named Marc Mariani and Samori Toure they can remember*

:lol:

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Who are underrated Griz receivers?

*Everyone starts listing every WR not named Marc Mariani and Samori Toure they can remember*

:lol:

:lol: Accurate. The older the better, too. I'll never forget Boyd McCarthy burning it up in Old Dornblaser. Nobody probably remembers him, but trust me, he was a speedster with great hands. Career was cut short by a nasty steam locomotive incident.

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

He's not mentioned very often. I think he gets lost in the shuffle, by many Griz fans.

I’ll allow it.

smarsh said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Sorry but I’m gonna toot my own horn. I mentioned swervin Marvin in like the 7th post on the thread😎.

yeah, but i was probably thinking it before you, so clearly i win.

while we're at it, i think travis walker is probably the most underrated on that list. could catch anything thrown at him and blocked better than any receiver i've ever seen. there were many times they put him at TE and he held his own blocking on the edge.

Travis Walker +1. He was also a master at getting the officials to throw the 5 yard halo penalty flag when he was back on punt returns?

I'll do you one better, an All-Under-Rated 2 Deep.

I might have moved a few linemen around, the linebackers are not meant to represent Sam-Mike-Will and I couldn't pick down to just 4 receivers.

Grizzlies All Under-rated

OT : Tim Polich, Mike Ralston
OT: Brian Pelc, Eric Michel
OG: Jason Frink, Ben Weyer
OG: Kamakana Kaimuloa, Chris Orwig
C: Matt Thuesen, Paul Mocko

WR: Tate Hancock, TJ Oelkers,
WR: Travis Walker, Rory Zikmund, Tanner Hancock
TE: Colin Bingham, Willie Waldon

QB: Brad Lebo, Scott Werbelow

RB: JR Waller, Kelly Stensrud
RB: Robbie Laird, David Gober

DE: Kelly McCallum, Eric Buehler
DT: John Cahill, Brant Davidson
DT: Kerry Mullan, Ben Hughes
DE: Derek Crittendon, Kelly Kain,

LB: Demedric Cooks, David Sirmon
LB: Adam Hoge, Nick Vella
LB: Andy Thompson, Brian Toone,

S: Tyler Thomas, Greg Nygren
S: Kyle Scholle, Andrew Badger
CB: Bruce Dotson, Stacey Edwards,
CB: Sean Murray, Chris Colvin

K: Kris Hepner
P: Eric Williams
RETURNS: Rod Schulte

Dillon said:
Not sure he was underrated but damn good - Joe Douglas!
Yeah, I went with if you are ALL American, ALL-PRO, or All Big Sky, you're not under rated. If not talked about was the criteria; Scott Camper, Mike Rice, Trey Young, Dan Downs, Sean Dorris, Chad Lembke, Chris Chambers, etc.

Back