• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Budget Situation Improves

GrizLA said:
It is too bad Montana did not create a Medical School. North Dakota as a state, had major budget concerns when the oil boom collapsed and their Medical School did well in attracting good students. Montana makes a cozy deal with Utah or whomever but should be looking to build their own and satisfy the needs of rural Montana, which are many.
If/when they do, there is a strong argument the medical school should be in Billings because of its very large hospital infrastructure.

GrizLA said:
It is too bad Montana did not create a Medical School. North Dakota as a state, had major budget concerns when the oil boom collapsed and their Medical School did well in attracting good students. Montana makes a cozy deal with Utah or whomever but should be looking to build their own and satisfy the needs of rural Montana, which are many.

I think the U of M deal is with UW medical school, but I agree about the need/utility of our own School of Medicine. Though I know it would be a huge undertaking.

I think Montana gets 30 slots per year. Vinnie Huntsberger, I think. Ty Timmer. My Bozeman nephew who went to Dartmouth.

"The University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM) was founded in 1946. In the early 1970s, it formed a unique partnership with the states of Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho, adding Wyoming in 1996, to provide innovative and cost-effective medical education to this region known as WWAMI."

https://www.uwmedicine.org/school-of-medicine/about

"
•The WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho) states make up 27% of the land mass of the United States but contain only 3.3% of the population.
•UW School of Medicine is the only medical school for the five-state WWAMI region, and the only five-state medical school in the country."

Acceptance rates

These are the average rates of acceptance for each applicant pool over the last three years for the M.D. program only.

Washington (Spokane & Seattle) 17%
Wyoming 37%
Alaska 32%
Montana 31%
Idaho 28%
Out-of-region applicants 0.4%

Back