• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Budget Situation Improves

tnt said:
You can't repair a wound that is still bleeding.

Good analogy. Triage. Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability...
Got to stop the things that will kill quickly, as the patient is alive. Airway(check), Breathing(check), Circulation...stop the bleeding. Then move on, rapidly as you can. Recovery can take some time.

Bodnar needs to be able to eradicate the bureaucratic, entrenched 'deep state' within UM. The BOR needs to untie his hands. The damage that Engstrom, and others, have done to our University is unforgiveable, and needs to be repaired immediately.

bigsky33 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Nothing is tougher to change than an entrenched bureaucracy, whether it be government, military (a government adjunct), academia (usually a government adjunct, but not always) … or business. And yes, I’ve “played the game” with all of them. In each one, the primary strategy/tactic seems to be CYA. I think most people who have had to deal with such a system will agree with me.

In every large bureaucracy I have encountered, people who are basically non-productive have far out-numbered employees who actually produce value for the organization … i.e. make useful products, facilitate productive operations, or actually serve customers. The rest answer the phone and pass the buck, churn out reports that no one reads, or basically sit around and bitch about how under-paid and over-worked they are. Am I exaggerating? Maybe a bit, but not much … think “Dilbert.”

Does anyone recall this article from the September 2016 Kaimin? (I know, they’re not the epitome of authority, but they do have some useful stuff.)
http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/w...le_2aa74de6-8663-11e6-b157-6bcf591c82e0.html

Some key quotes:
In Montana, there are students who grow up with a strong connection to one university over another. Those students know from an early age where they’ll end up. But then there are those who have no allegiances, and who base their decisions on the information, service and encouragement they receive from each school.

This is where UM loses.
… During the summer, transfer student applications were backed up two months because of UM’s outdated application processing system.

To fix this, Crady said the admissions office has updated its computer software and will be going paperless. [Remember, this was in late 2016] He also said more people will be hired in the evaluation office to reduce the time it takes to process applications. …
There’s more that elaborates on the recruitment/perception problems at the time. Personally, I think Bodnar has done pretty well, considering what he was/is up against.

I agree he has done pretty well. A turnaround is going to take time. Especially in a bureaucracy. He has a huge challenge. The problems are multi-faceted. He has the perfect background to get it done. I thought he was an excellent choice.

I agree he was an excellent choice...he just needs to unleash his instincts and make bigger, bolder, transformational changes. I don't think he was hired to "stop to bleeding," triage issues, or dabble on the margins.

I do remain 100% behind him...

tnt said:
PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
Thanks. I only play the game by talking to Bodnar and my law partner and her husband, who is a UM tenured prof.

So your getting a pretty narrow biased view huh?

Getting the info straight from the top, and certainly better sources than what some of these other jokers have. I'm not looking for a consensus, I want to know what is going on when I ask. I also talk frequently to one of the top donors. Bodnar and the foundation talk to him a lot. He's a CFO-type. Knows numbers, budgets and budget cuts. Doesn't make "investments" unless he get comfortable with the numbers and good answers.

You may be getting the "info" but all the name dropping in the world only confirms you have no clue what the methodology is. Endpoints don't define how one gets there.

It isn't name-dropping to say where I get my info. It shows that I get it from very good sources, and from sources much better than the likes of you. You are largely spewing nonsense, in my view.

Are able to provide any specifics about what you think I am saying incorrectly? I bet you can't.

Strategy for Distinction:

“While as a campus community we have exciting future work ahead, we also must make difficult decisions,” Bodnar said. “We cannot continue to do everything we do now and do it well. This means better aligning, focusing and prioritizing what we can do best, and curtailing or discontinuing what we cannot. Even as we face these transitions, we will remain focused on our students, providing them with clear learning pathways to graduation and the support they need.”

The draft plan calls for a reinvigoration of UM’s core education, and one key strategy would be emphasizing the University’s liberal arts education with something called the Innovative UM Core. This term would be used to describe to prospective students how a well-rounded curriculum from a flagship university like UM does more than train them for their first job. It trains them to succeed across multiple disciplines, helps them to learn and grow over the course of their careers and prepares them for jobs that may not even exist yet.

The plan suggests grouping UM into six communities of interdisciplinary excellence: artistic expression and communication; science and technology; business and entrepreneurship; environment and sustainability; health and human development; and justice, policy and public service.

The plan includes 14 preliminary recommendations. Four of those address updating UM’s administrative structure, such as combining Student Affairs with the Office for Student Success. Ten recommendations would affect UM’s colleges and professional schools. An example is replacing 23 department heads in UM’s College of Humanities and Sciences with 10 division/department heads. Also included are recommendations for estimated full-time-equivalent employee reductions."

My disagreement is the lack of understanding of the process. It's not like a business. In a business you can make quick definitive decisions about eliminating deadwood an structure to effect change. In a university you kiss the Deadwoods ass as well as bow to tradition. Bodnar is doing exactly what he said he would. Even tenured deadwood can be gone when their department is gone. Eliminating department. The process is exactly as I described. There are still a lot of very nervous chairmen and tenured folk who have had a pretty easy ride until now.

Then there is the issue of alumni and donors many of whom are also nervous. The fact is (I talk to Bodnar too) he doesn't care. They are only as important as their last check, the next check is not assumed, If their goal is altruistic, there is little to worry about if they give (or talk about it) to build their own ego get what the assume to be spe dial access. They are easy Mark's for any development person and tolerated as long as the money keeps coming.....

tnt said:
My disagreement is the lack of understanding of the process. It's not like a business. In a business you can make quick definitive decisions about eliminating deadwood an structure to effect change. In a university you kiss the Deadwoods ass as well as bow to tradition. Bodnar is doing exactly what he said he would. Even tenured deadwood can be gone when their department is gone. Eliminating department. The process is exactly as I described. There are still a lot of very nervous chairmen and tenured folk who have had a pretty easy ride until now.

Then there is the issue of alumni and donors many of whom are also nervous. The fact is (I talk to Bodnar too) he doesn't care. They are only as important as their last check, the next check is not assumed, If their goal is altruistic, there is little to worry about if they give (or talk about it) to build their own ego get what the assume to be spe dial access. They are easy Mark's for any development person and tolerated as long as the money keeps coming.....

I said nothing contrary to that. I have not said anything about process. In fact, I agree with that generally. I fully support Bodnar.

You need to read better and not mix up what posters say.

Stop your name-dropping too.

tnt said:

Point of parliamentary procedure: Its really the same in a business except you kiss the board's ass and bow to tradition.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Article just released: https://missoulian.com/news/local/um-president-touts-headway-in-addressing-challenges/article_69aab4df-f14e-5e45-9b19-e3c000532bb4.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

"Over the course of the past year, we've made steady, consistent headway in addressing our challenges," Bodnar told the audience in UM's Montana Theatre.

Joined onstage by faculty, staff and student leaders, Bodnar announced that UM had set what he called "an ambitious goal": To increase UM's first-year retention rates above 80%, and its six-year graduation rate to 60%. As of 2017, College Factual reported those statistics at 72% and 47%, respectively.

Bodnar said these goals fit with UM's effort to better support students through expanded advising and other programs meant to help students complete their degrees.

Bodnar also noted UM had reduced its structural deficit by over 60% and discussed ways UM had moved forward on its five "Priorities for Action."

PlayerRep said:
tnt said:

I said nothing contrary to that. I have not said anything about process. In fact, I agree with that generally. I fully support Bodnar.

Bodnar talks to anyone LOL No name dropping there.

tnt said:
PlayerRep said:
tnt said:

Bodnar doesn't talk to everyone, because he is very busy and not easily accessible. But yes, when people are around him and he's not otherwise occupied, he will talk. Does he return your emails? Do you have his gmail? Do you know his wife, and family? Did you work to get him get selected as president, and did you send an 8 or so page memo to the board of regents and others, and make some calls, to get him selected? Just curious.

Again, can you point out one thing I posted about him and budget stuff in this thread that is not correct? Or, do you just want to admit that you confused me with other posters or what they said?

PlayerRep said:
Does he return your emails? Do you have his gmail? Do you know his wife, and family? Did you work to get him get selected as president, and did you send an 8 or so page memo to the board of regents and others, and make some calls, to get him selected?

Let's just sit back in awe and let that dangle out there for a bit.

PlayerRep said:
tnt said:
PlayerRep said:
tnt said:

Bodnar doesn't talk to everyone, because he is very busy and not easily accessible. But yes, when people are around him and he's not otherwise occupied, he will talk. Does he return your emails? Do you have his gmail? Do you know his wife, and family? Did you work to get him get selected as president, and did you send an 8 or so page memo to the board of regents and others, and make some calls, to get him selected? Just curious.

Again, can you point out one thing I posted about him and budget stuff in this thread that is not correct? Or, do you just want to admit that you confused me with other posters or what they said?

-Yes he returns my emails though I seldom email him
-I have his personal email
-I know him and his family
-No, I didn't send an 8-page email (I have never sent anyone an 8-page email) I have had coffee with a few of the regents. You see unlike you who apparently knows everyone (except me) I didn't know the other candidates so without that info I could only confirm what I knew of the man. The regents were selected to make a decision on ALL the info not just what someone who didn't have all of the info/facts was pompous enough to make an uninformed opinion as a statement of fact.

I may well have confused what you said. I'm frequently confused these days, so I have to rely on my training which is to ignore anything but the first sentence in a compound sentence as the following are meaningless most of the time. Being the first part of anything you say is about you, it was a foregone conclusion you have no solutions as you affected no changes for the better at UM ever (as far as I know.) perhaps a verifiable list of what you have accomplished at UM as the shadow president, athletic director, CFO etc would clear it all up for us :)

Looks like UM dorms at 80% (1486) of their 1813 Capacity. On the flip side, I think MSU’s dorm capacity is roughly 4,000 and early numbers indicate they are at 98%.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/as-classes-begin-nearly-one-fifth-of-um-dorm-rooms/article_7d0ee30b-6d72-597e-a0f7-12bcc1944028.html?utm_content=buffer9e3e5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

It is too bad Montana did not create a Medical School. North Dakota as a state, had major budget concerns when the oil boom collapsed and their Medical School did well in attracting good students. Montana makes a cozy deal with Utah or whomever but should be looking to build their own and satisfy the needs of rural Montana, which are many.

Back