• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trumaine Johnson NFL Combine

On the field T. Johnson did pretty well. Seems that Mayock and Deion Sanders thought that he would make a better safety than corner based on how fast he could flip his hips when he turned. Should have solidified his selection as a potential 2nd round pick.

Asa Jackson from Cal Poly also looked good during the drills. Biggest advantage that Trumaine Johnson has is his size, long arms and tested faster than Jackson.

Off the field...follow either I learned from it or it wasn't me...

bpcats said:
On the field T. Johnson did pretty well. Seems that Mayock and Deion Sanders thought that he would make a better safety than corner based on how fast he could flip his hips when he turned. Should have solidified his selection as a potential 2nd round pick.

Asa Jackson from Cal Poly also looked good during the drills. Biggest advantage that Trumaine Johnson has is his size, long arms and tested faster than Jackson.

Off the field...follow either I learned from it or it wasn't me...
Looking at official times posted Johnson ran a 4.61 and Asa Jackson ran a 4.49. He does have Asa beat on size.

It’s odd that they made such a huge adjustment on his “official” time. Tru ran a 4.50/4.53 this morning. I watched it live.

They made allot of other adjustments, I.e. Andrew Luck from a 4.59 to a 4.61, or RG3 from a 4.37 to a 4.41, but nothing like the adjustment they made on Tru’s.

Any insight on that?

Everyone at work knows how big of a GRIZ fan I am. This morning I am on break, and one of the guys I work with asks me, "What do you know about this Trumaine Johnson?" I told him about Trumaine, and he asked me about his character? I explained it to him.

He told me he remembered me bragging about Tru a few times this past year, and thought I was full of crap this caliber of player could come from Montana. I told him, feel free to check out NFL rosters, then rephrase that. Sure enough, he did just that. AS I was leaving work, he said "Damn it, you win, I love the GRIZ now, and I want TRU to be a Denver Bronco, now."

Another big city boy converted to a GRIZ fan!!!

mtgrizrule said:
Everyone at work knows how big of a GRIZ fan I am. This morning I am on break, and one of the guys I work with asks me, "What do you know about this Trumaine Johnson?" I told him about Trumaine, and he asked me about his character? I explained it to him.

He told me he remembered me bragging about Tru a few times this past year, and thought I was full of crap this caliber of player could come from Montana. I told him, feel free to check out NFL rosters, then rephrase that. Sure enough, he did just that. AS I was leaving work, he said "Damn it, you win, I love the GRIZ now, and I want TRU to be a Denver Bronco, now."

I will puke if the donkeys draft Tru!

jcu27 said:
I bet he gets moved to safety.

What a revelation! I've been saying that for several months now. Of course, I know nothing and have no NFL connections who might have info on these things! :roll:

I get tired of schooling you over and over again.

Growler1 said:
jcu27 said:

What a revelation! I've been saying that for several months now. Of course, I know nothing and have no NFL connections who might have info on these things! :roll:

I think he stays at corner. The reason he is getting so much attention is because you just don't see corners his size that can run and cover. The size of the average NFL reciever gets bigger every year and you can't expect a 5'-10" corner to cover the 6' 4" or taller reciever that that is becoming more common in the NFL. If Tru was 5'-10" he wouldn't get a sniff.

Growler1 said:
jcu27 said:

You're an idiot. That's all there is to you.

I'll give you Growlie that you've been saying that Tru will be a safety in the NFL. HOWEVER, you've been saying at like you are trying to tell people he's not good enough to play corner in the NFL, and if you have watched ANY of the NFL Network coverage on Tru this week, that couldn't be further from the truth. In today's interview, he was basically told by two analysts his hips and his speed were absolutely impressive and certainly make him a pure NFL corner. BUT, they went on to say, that in today's NFL, teams are looking for big corners'/safeties to cover the new breed of tight end in the NFL in man coverage, ala Gronk and others and that THAT'S why it would be tempting for Tru to move to safety. Some other analysts, who know a hell of a lot more than you do, say that with today's NFL offenses, that corner and safety are all one position anymore. SO, while you have been preaching that Tru could be moved to safety as a diss towards him and his skill set, it's his size, speed, skill set and tackling ability which make coaches DROOL over moving to him to safety, and it's not the negative that you tried to portray it to be. It's pretty obvious from the comments at the combine that he's a viable commodity as a corner in the NFL, but that coaches like Belichik and others, who are looking for the next great hybrid would certainly be tempted to put Tru in more safety situations. Not at diss at all, it's a compliment to how versatile, big, strong and fast the guy is.

Growler1 said:
jcu27 said:

No G1, you have not been saying he would be a safety for several months. Actually, I'm the one who first said, and has said, that safety may be his best position.

Here's my post on Sept. 28. It wasn't my first.

"Re: Trumaine

Postby PlayerRep » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Bob333 wrote:pr, you say tj will most likely be a safety at the nfl? I know you talk to players a lot did this come from him or something. I a big follower of the nfl draft so its fun to hear what griz players have to say about it. I guess I would've assumed he'd still be a cb. With his size speed and covering ability I would love to have a cb like him on my team.

Just my opinion. I think his size, speed, quickness and overall coverage ability are more suited for safety. On the other hand, some NFL teams now have some of their corners for physical play and run-stopping--for those situations. He would certainly be suited for that."

Hammer said:
mtgrizrule said:

I will puke if the donkeys draft Tru!
LMAO!
You - :puke:
Me - :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Champ Bailey would be a good mentor for Tru. Denver would be a good spot for him.

I believe Tru has probably elevated his stock. However, I think he had to absolutly knock it out of the park to be considered a 1st round or even a 2nd round prospect. His 40 time is good for his size, but just "good" isn't going to bump you up to the 1st round when you are an FCS prospect. I'd say 2nd round at best probably 3rd, worst case 4th. Small school guys are looked at as a risk for NFL teams. As dominant as Tru was, he did do it against lesser competition and he does have questions about his character (fair or not, they are out there). Watching the video, I think he interviewed well and it appears he has been working hard and is motivated, but I will be very surprised if a team takes a chance on him in the 1st round. Regardless, I'll be rooting for him and it will be good to see another Grizzly in the League.

HighLineGRIZ said:
Champ Bailey would be a good mentor for Tru. Denver would be a good spot for him.

I believe Tru has probably elevated his stock. However, I think he had to absolutly knock it out of the park to be considered a 1st round or even a 2nd round prospect. His 40 time is good for his size, but just "good" isn't going to bump you up to the 1st round when you are an FCS prospect. I'd say 2nd round at best probably 3rd, worst case 4th. Small school guys are looked at as a risk for NFL teams. As dominant as Tru was, he did do it against lesser competition and he does have questions about his character (fair or not, they are out there). Watching the video, I think he interviewed well and it appears he has been working hard and is motivated, but I will be very surprised if a team takes a chance on him in the 1st round. Regardless, I'll be rooting for him and it will be good to see another Grizzly in the League.

That’s an interesting analysis.

Almost every draft expert has Tru graded higher than you do. At this point, the lowest I have seen him in a mock draft is around 60 overall, which is second round.

Todd McShay and Mike Mayock (NFL network draft analysts) have him as the 3rd or 4th corner off the board, and Mayock has him as a first round “grade”. He commented yesterday that Tru may be the overall most physically gifted DB on the board.

Not saying you are wrong on your prediction, just saying most of the draft "experts" don't agree with you.

Hammer said:
I think he stays at corner. The reason he is getting so much attention is because you just don't see corners his size that can run and cover. The size of the average NFL reciever gets bigger every year and you can't expect a 5'-10" corner to cover the 6' 4" or taller reciever that that is becoming more common in the NFL. If Tru was 5'-10" he wouldn't get a sniff.

This

Plus

This: Tru is not a hitter. In fact, he's only an average tackler, certainly not a hard-hitting NFL safety. [Now someone will link the sensai hit vs. CP but that's one big shot on a blindsided screen. I don't ever remember him puting a lick on rusher]

= i think he stays at CB.

The change from the unofficial 4.5 time to the slower 4.6 is a negative. He needs to improve that at pro day, which I believe he will. I wasn't sure he would break 4.5, but I believe he's much closer to 4.5 than 4.6.

PlayerRep said:
Growler1 said:
jcu27 said:

No G1, you have not been saying he would be a safety for several months. Actually, I'm the one who first said, and has said, that safety may be his best position.

Here's my post on Sept. 28. It wasn't my first.

"Re: Trumaine

Postby PlayerRep » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Bob333 wrote:pr, you say tj will most likely be a safety at the nfl? I know you talk to players a lot did this come from him or something. I a big follower of the nfl draft so its fun to hear what griz players have to say about it. I guess I would've assumed he'd still be a cb. With his size speed and covering ability I would love to have a cb like him on my team.

Just my opinion. I think his size, speed, quickness and overall coverage ability are more suited for safety. On the other hand, some NFL teams now have some of their corners for physical play and run-stopping--for those situations. He would certainly be suited for that."

Yeah, like I just lie in wait to steal your revelations about anything! Your back must stay sore from your self-flagellation. My opinion about Tru playing safety comes from an NFL scout, not some opinion that you spew.

Not trying to 1-UP anybody but here is a post I made back in 2008.....kind of fun looking back at all of our predictions on Tru and other players. As I recall Player Rep was one of the first as well who thought Tru fit the "Hybrid" model for DB's as a large press corner/safety who can cover the slot as well as play center-field....

Baller1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 pm
TJ is the most legit NFL CB prospect the Big Sky has produced since Joey Thomas......

I'm not sure TJ will develop the GREAT speed of JT but has more size..... so a move to safety may come if he gets to the NFL....there is still lots of time for him to develop which is scary..... Sounds like he has a much better attitude than Thomas did and Scouts definatley take note of that..... if TJ can wind up running in the 4.4 - 4.47 range for the 40 and continue to refine his coverage ability.....watch out first two rounds of the NFL draft.....no joke....... The Griz and the BSC in general have not seen an athlete of this caliber at the CB postion for a long time...... he is on track to join KJ Gerrard as a first team BSC corner...... although Freshman usually get screwed here...... I personally think he's better than KJ..... Tru should probably have 7 picks right now....he has had some blatent drops that I don't think were a result of not having good hands....... I know thats a lot of pressure to put on a True Freshman but what a steal we got with this recruit.......... All of our CB recruits have played exceptionally.....kinda makes it easy to for get about Jamaine Olsen doesn't it........I have a feeling he might have been the 4th corner on the depth chart this year

Baller1 said:
Not trying to 1-UP anybody but here is a post I made back in 2008.....kind of fun looking back at all of our predictions on Tru and other players. As I recall Player Rep was one of the first as well who thought Tru fit the "Hybrid" model for DB's as a large press corner/safety who can cover the slot as well as play center-field....

Baller1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 pm
TJ is the most legit NFL CB prospect the Big Sky has produced since Joey Thomas......

I'm not sure TJ will develop the GREAT speed of JT but has more size..... so a move to safety may come if he gets to the NFL....there is still lots of time for him to develop which is scary..... Sounds like he has a much better attitude than Thomas did and Scouts definatley take note of that..... if TJ can wind up running in the 4.4 - 4.47 range for the 40 and continue to refine his coverage ability.....watch out first two rounds of the NFL draft.....no joke....... The Griz and the BSC in general have not seen an athlete of this caliber at the CB postion for a long time...... he is on track to join KJ Gerrard as a first team BSC corner...... although Freshman usually get screwed here...... I personally think he's better than KJ..... Tru should probably have 7 picks right now....he has had some blatent drops that I don't think were a result of not having good hands....... I know thats a lot of pressure to put on a True Freshman but what a steal we got with this recruit.......... All of our CB recruits have played exceptionally.....kinda makes it easy to for get about Jamaine Olsen doesn't it........I have a feeling he might have been the 4th corner on the depth chart this year

Cool story bro.... :coffee:

PlayerRep said:
The change from the unofficial 4.5 time to the slower 4.6 is a negative. He needs to improve that at pro day, which I believe he will. I wasn't sure he would break 4.5, but I believe he's much closer to 4.5 than 4.6.

RGIII's top receiver at Baylor, Kendall Wright, ran by the Big XII's best all year to the tune of 108 catches for 1663 yards and 14 TD's. His official combine time was corrected to 4.61 too. Some commentators thought Wright was not accustomed to the track-type start used at the combine.

Oh shit 420 you called me out with a "cool story bro"/coffee drinker guy!?!? Where on earth did you dream up that zinger?? OMG I am sooooo regretting my previous post now!

Back