• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tony Miller

fanofzoo said:
dayday said:
GrizWhiz said:
Per Verbal Commits, Tony is walking on at Washington State next season. :?

I think he’ll have to sit unless he gets a waiver.

Wow from almost sure starter to walk-on, what happened there?

Rumors of him getting in some kind of trouble and Decuire being willing to forgive if miller lives on campus, which he refused. That’s the rumor at least.

maroonandsilver said:
dayday said:
I guess I was wrong:
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1162123887775236096?s=21

If he is immediately eligible, then Gaskin should be as well.

As a walk on, is it possible he is exempt the NCAA sit out a year requirement?

mtgrizrule said:
dayday said:
GrizWhiz said:
maroonandsilver said:
If he is immediately eligible, then Gaskin should be as well.

As a walk on, is it possible he is exempt the NCAA sit out a year requirement?

That does not matter.
Doesn't apply to non Scholarship athletes.

I believe it does. I.E. a football player playing for a pioneer league team that is non-scholarship like University of San Diego could not just transfer to UM without penalty or waiver.

Non-recruited Student Exception
A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if he or she met the following conditions at the first institution:

The student-athlete was not recruited according to the NCAA’s definition of recruiting;
The student-athlete never received an athletic scholarship; and
The student-athlete did not practice or compete at all in athletics at the original school except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout).

grizindabox said:
A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if he or she met the following conditions at the first institution:

The student-athlete was not recruited according to the NCAA’s definition of recruiting;
The student-athlete did not practice or compete at all in athletics at the original school except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout).
Thanks for the verification. Who is right?

mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

I think under that rule he wouldn’t fit under that last part since he was a member of the Griz team last year and practiced with the team the whole year. I am not sure if he was on scholarship at UM or not I kinda assume he was.

dayday said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

I think under that rule he wouldn’t fit under that last part since he was a member of the Griz team last year and practiced with the team the whole year. I am not sure if he was on scholarship at UM or not I kinda assume he was.

Whether he was on scholarship or not, he would need a waiver to play this year.

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/-Washington-State-Cougars-basketball-2019-Woodinville-Tony-Miller-Cougs-Wazzu-134510370/ It looks like he is on scholarship and eligible to play this fall. Verbal Commits must have the walk on part wrong.

My argument would be that he sat out a year at UM, his redshirt year; it didn't work out; now he's going to another school after not playing last year; why shouldn't he be able to play this year (as he already sat out a year).

PlayerRep said:
My argument would be that he sat out a year at UM, his redshirt year; it didn't work out; now he's going to another school after not playing last year; why shouldn't he be able to play this year (as he already sat out a year).

That will be the argument for Gaskin too.

mtgrizrule said:
PlayerRep said:

That will be the argument for Gaskin too.

Then yes I love that argument. And use Miller as precedent!

Back