• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tony Miller

astutegriz said:
dayday said:
Unless he’s graduating early doesn’t make much sense to me. Just because he goes into transfer portal doesn’t mean he has to transfer.

The AD office informs the athlete before they go into the transfer portal that they will no longer be on the team if they do indeed enter. That means, he is gone.

Well that is dumb of the athletic department. Heck look at Udub’s football team with the QB- Sirmon he entered the portal then changed his mind.

So the big schools have the "One and Done."

Montana introduces the "None and Done."

This plays with me the way a tongue plays over a sore tooth. Here's why.

When a Montana loses five stellar players, including likely the best backcourt in the history of the school, you think, "Rebuild!" The big schools reload. But mid-majors rebuild.

But with Miller and Samuelson joining Pridgett, Manual, Anderson and an outstanding recruiting class, I felt we were reloading, not rebuilding. Unusual for a mid-major. Testament to the great talent DeCuire and his staff have brought in.

And I saw Miller as the linchpin--an experienced front-liner with exceptional athleticism and defensive skills, who would take the pressure off Pridgett.

Poof! Gone!

I suppose we'll solve the mystery--eventually. That Miller had a personality conflict with the staff. Or didn't like Missoula. Or my hunch, got an offer--Gonzaga, maybe; they certainly know him--that he simply couldn't turn down.

Meantime, back at the ranch, we're hardly devoid of talent. More opportunity for the incoming freshman class, including Egun, to step up and assume major roles early. I still see us as a formidable team come tournament time.

But we'll definitely miss Miller--especially when we step up in class in our non-conference schedule. We play Stanford early on down here, a game I'll get a chance to see, and I was eager to watch Miller.

Hey Sayeed, Jared, DJ, Eddy. I'll still be there!

citay said:

When a Montana loses five stellar players, including likely the best backcourt in the history of the school, you think, "Rebuild!" The big schools reload. But mid-majors rebuild.

But with Miller and Samuelson joining Pridgett, Manual, Anderson and an outstanding recruiting class, I felt we were reloading, not rebuilding. Unusual for a mid-major. Testament to the great talent DeCuire and his staff have brought in.

And I saw Miller as the linchpin--an experienced front-liner with exceptional athleticism and defensive skills, who would take the pressure off Pridgett.

Poof! Gone!

I suppose we'll solve the mystery--eventually. That Miller had a personality conflict with the staff. Or didn't like Missoula. Or my hunch, got an offer--Gonzaga, maybe; they certainly know him--that he simply couldn't turn down.

Meantime, back at the ranch, we're hardly devoid of talent. More opportunity for the incoming freshman class, including Egun, to step up and assume major roles early. I still see us as a formidable team come tournament time.

But we'll definitely miss Miller--especially when we step up in class in our non-conference schedule. We play Stanford early on down here, a game I'll get a chance to see, and I was eager to watch Miller.

He is a scorer and I wish him the best. Just curious - why do you say exceptional defensive skills? And Gonzaga???

More time for the frosh. Don’t sleep on them. There will be growing pains, but if they play four years together, you may get your sweet 16 dreams in four years. Their desire to have Mack redshirt was so he can have a year to work on long term skill and add to that class. Besides depth, that is what is too bad about this transfer to me. Maybe we can get a front line transfer still?? I expect a team who will start slow and be tough at the end of the year.

A recruiting rumor came out of team camp this weekend. No confirmation.

mtgrizrule said:
Carter and Owen's will have a huge opportunity this season. Maybe being here the whole summer will payoff for whoever is doing it.

Yes and yes.

Football team has mandatory workouts all summer and has 100% participation and buyin. Reasonable for b-ball coaches to expect the same with far fewer kids.

astutegriz said:
citay said:

Poof! Gone!

He is a scorer and I wish him the best. Just curious - why do you say exceptional defensive skills? And Gonzaga???

More time for the frosh. Don’t sleep on them. There will be growing pains, but if they play four years together, you may get your sweet 16 dreams in four years. Their desire to have Mack redshirt was so he can have a year to work on long term skill and add to that class. Besides depth, that is what is too bad about this transfer to me. Maybe we can get a front line transfer still?? I expect a team who will start slow and be tough at the end of the year.

Recruiting rumor? Even if not confirmed can you provide any more info?

astutegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Carter and Owen's will have a huge opportunity this season. Maybe being here the whole summer will payoff for whoever is doing it.

Yes and yes.

Football team has mandatory workouts all summer and has 100% participation and buyin. Reasonable for b-ball coaches to expect the same with far fewer kids.

The summer workouts cannot be "mandatory" by NCAA rule. I assume they "strongly encouraged".

Unfortunately, this isn't a rumor. Miller is gone. I'll leave it at that. I doubt if there will more info than that, even when it's officially confirmed.

GrizWhiz said:
astutegriz said:
Recruiting rumor? Even if not confirmed can you provide any more info?

Rumor was Rollie and now has its own thread, just so people aren’t wondering if I was referring to something else. Came out at team camp last weekend. Too bad. Would have been nice to have a hometown kid.

Seems like a guy who can’t make up his mind. Darn I was excited to see him play. I had heard a lot of good things.

HookedonGriz said:
Seems like a guy who can’t make up his mind. Darn I was excited to see him play. I had heard a lot of good things.

So tempted to add to that. I won't though. I do hope the program, or athletic department will in time release some public info. If for anything, to minimize some possible negativity.

braves84 said:
If these reports are accurate, that is what 9 or so kids from last year's team who are no longer on the team , I don't care who you are that has to be alarming. Whole lot of turn over.
Hopefully some of the younger guys can come in and contribute. Could be a long year. Hopefully not.

Very alarming. Fire TDC

mtgrizrule said:
HookedonGriz said:

So tempted to add to that. I won't though. I do hope the program, or athletic department will in time release some public info. If for anything, to minimize some possible negativity.

Yes I hate to speculate. I’m sure there are good reasons.

mtgrizrule said:
Unfortunately, this isn't a rumor. Miller is gone. I'll leave it at that. I doubt if there will more info than that, even when it's officially confirmed.

Unofficial word is that Travis was willing to work past whatever transgression Tony was guilty of, but with the requirement that Tony live in a dorm. Tony said 'no thanks'.

HookedonGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
HookedonGriz said:

Yes I hate to speculate. I’m sure there are good reasons.

Well, it sucks if true. Hate to see someone self-destruct before they even get on the court.

Back