• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Title IX at Montana State and Montana?

MTCowpoke said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
grizband said:
Honestly, I don't have an answer; however, hockey has increased in popularity in the 20 years since I was in high school. It may simply be that North Dakota is closer proximity to states where hockey has been historically prevalent (Minnesota, Wisconsin), but again that doesn't answer the question of my interest stopped at the border.
It may have stopped quite a bit east of the MT/ND border. I'm not aware of such hockey furor in western ND.

Hockey is huge in Williston, Dickinson and Watford City.

Watford just built an amazing community complex with an indoor rink for their youth hockey along with their brand new high school. The joys of oilfield revenue! And it doesn't completely stop at the border, but it's very hit or miss on this side of Montana. Youth Hockey is big in Glasgow, and has quite a decent following in Sidney and I think Glendive might have a team, but they tend to play in the ND leagues because its closer travel than Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, etc.

I know I actually helped plan the project in Watford City, its an amazing facility for a community like that. The funding was actually less oil field revenue than you would expect, it certainly didnt hurt tho as well, haha.

Im pretty sure Glendive doesnt have a youth hockey team or program, tho I am aware it is a decent following in Sidney.

kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
grizband said:
Honestly, I don't have an answer; however, hockey has increased in popularity in the 20 years since I was in high school. It may simply be that North Dakota is closer proximity to states where hockey has been historically prevalent (Minnesota, Wisconsin), but again that doesn't answer the question of my interest stopped at the border.
It may have stopped quite a bit east of the MT/ND border. I'm not aware of such hockey furor in western ND.

Huge? The Dickenson St. athletics website lists men's sports - baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, track & field and wrestling. Not a mention of hockey.

Im talking the youth level, not college.

It is surprising they dont have college hockey at DSU and Williston State tho now that you mention it.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Huge? The Dickenson St. athletics website lists men's sports - baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, track & field and wrestling. Not a mention of hockey.

Im talking the youth level, not college.

It is surprising they dont have college hockey at DSU and Williston State tho now that you mention it.
As of right now, there is only two levels that sanction the sport: NCAA DI and NCAA DIII.

At the DI level, a school needs to have at least 3000 seats for a rink and most leagues require 18 scholarships.

At the DIII level, the westernmost teams are in Minnesota and there are not many of them.

DII teams can play up to DI though, but getting a conference invite for a new team is hard.

U of Mary, Minot St, and Williston St make a big deal about their club hockey teams, which have more interest than any of their varsity teams like mbb.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
MTCowpoke said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

I know I actually helped plan the project in Watford City, its an amazing facility for a community like that. The funding was actually less oil field revenue than you would expect, it certainly didnt hurt tho as well, haha.

While the dollars coming in may not have been specifically from oilfield companies, I'm sure those farmers/landowners wouldn't have paid for that facility without their royalty checks coming in. The development explosion in Watford has been amazing.

Last week, the Midwest college hockey schools announced that they were probably withdrawing from the WCHA after 2020, leaving only UA Anchorage, UA Fairbanks, and UA Huntsville in that league.

That means that the UA schools must fend for themselves in 2021 and get four schools and six schools in 2023 to maintain their Autobid.

Arizone St will likely sign up, but Huntsville wouldn’t want to be in a western conference.

The UAFairbanks says western schools will likely start hockey soon.
https://alaskananooks.com/news/2019/6/28/mens-ice-hockey-statement-from-uaf-chancellor-dan-white-regarding-potential-member-withdrawls-from-wcha.aspx

Simon Fraser, UNLV, Fresno St and many other PAC12 schools could be interested, Ike Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and California schools.

Back