• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Thursday Night BBall (Jan 10) .. UM at EWU

GrizLA said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Griz2k said:
Well so much for the run.... stick a fork in 'em. No will to win tonight. Flat ugly basketball. Seeing that way too much from such a talented team. Disappointing.
I'm starting to question just how truly talented this team is. They may have the physical attributes, but there does not seem to be anyone with the mental toughness to step up at crunch time. And they just flat-out do not play well as a unit.

There's still time to turn things around. But what are they going to do when they actually have to play a good team?
Basically, a 4 guard scheme and Akoh but they all seem to want to let another team member shoot and spend too much game in passing the ball around. Not going to work if you don't have a shooter and team leader. UM hasn't had a 3 pt shooter in 2 years that is consistent.

We have a 3-point shooter. Manuel. But he doesn't get in the game enough to get a rhythm.

Grizbeer said:
zengriz said:
...poor playing...
...worse coaching...
...hard watching...

... :oops: ...
Seems like a trend. The soccer team had a good year after the pervert coach was reluctantly removed after players reported him, but doesn't your post apply to nearly every game of every sport this year? Is Dixie state looking for an AD? Cause I don't think this is what Griz athletics is about, and it seems to infest the entire athletic department.

Huh? We have the reigning coach of the year. What trend are you talking about? We are taking our lumps this season, but Don't lump Travis in with any of that other bullshit.

PeauxRouge said:
Grizbeer said:
zengriz said:
...poor playing...
...worse coaching...
...hard watching...

Seems like a trend. The soccer team had a good year after the pervert coach was reluctantly removed after players reported him, but doesn't your post apply to nearly every game of every sport this year? Is Dixie state looking for an AD? Cause I don't think this is what Griz athletics is about, and it seems to infest the entire athletic department.

Huh? We have the reigning coach of the year. What trend are you talking about? We are taking our lumps this season, but Don't lump Travis in with any of that other bullshit.

Huh? Do you think Travis would be a good AD in Utah? UM has had less than 1 BSC champion in all sports per year average during Haslam's realm, far fewer when you count revenue sports. This isn't a MBB issue, it is an athletic department issue - a mediocre program as a whole. Either we are fine with being a middle of the pack school in a lower tier conference, or something needs to change. The struggles of this MBB team loaded with "drop down" DI basketball players is an indicator of the underlying problem.

Grizbeer said:
PeauxRouge said:
Grizbeer said:
zengriz said:
...poor playing...
...worse coaching...
...hard watching...

Huh? Do you think Travis would be a good AD in Utah? UM has had less than 1 BSC champion in all sports per year average during Haslam's realm, far fewer when you count revenue sports. This isn't a MBB issue, it is an athletic department issue - a mediocre program as a whole. Either we are fine with being a middle of the pack school in a lower tier conference, or something needs to change. The struggles of this MBB team loaded with "drop down" DI basketball players is an indicator of the underlying problem.
The true FACTS are, that UM is just a small school in the Northern Rockies with $ problems and declining standards along with enrollment, pays its coaches less than than average, has to recruit young guys from out of state and that coach has to somehow convince them that riding a bus to play some school few have heard of outside the area, to go to school in a state that is notoriously conservative when compared to where the players come from, and make UM a place that can produce good teams, year in and year out is nothing short of miraculous.I think the coaching history here is remarkable in that they have pulled that off more than once. True, this team doesn't seem to have fun or know how to play without a team leader but they still have some major talent. If it can come together they will be fine...it is what it is...

GrizLA said:
Grizbeer said:
PeauxRouge said:
Grizbeer said:

The true FACTS are, that UM is just a small school in the Northern Rockies with $ problems and declining standards along with enrollment, pays its coaches less than than average, has to recruit young guys from out of state and that coach has to somehow convince them that riding a bus to play some school few have heard of outside the area, to go to school in a state that is notoriously conservative when compared to where the players come from, and make UM a place that can produce good teams, year in and year out is nothing short of miraculous.I think the coaching history here is remarkable in that they have pulled that off more than once. True, this team doesn't seem to have fun or know how to play without a team leader but they still have some major talent. If it can come together they will be fine...it is what it is...
Lot of unfortunate truth in that paragraph.

Had to wait a while to diffuse emotion and look at this game and team somewhat objectively. We have a great coach in a long line of great coaches at UM. We have really good guards. We have a really good power forward. We have a lot of potential scorers. That’s the good news.

We don’t have a true post, and when Akoh is hurt, tired or in foul trouble (or all of the above) we just don’t have any interior defense. Last year the good Aussie kept the middle protected with Akoh out. Now we have to use Bobby or Sayeed in the paint

Part of the disappointment to me is the BSC officiating which seems intent on making the game as absolutely disjointed as possible while calling attention to themselves at every opportunity. Did anyone else see the gawdawful double dribble no-call that led to an assist for a three by EWU? I mean that is a YMCA level missed call. Traveling is getting NBA-like and yet the fouls (both ways) are called like the refs get paid by the whistle. That disrupts the flow and keeps the guys we want to watch off the court. It’s just not to the same standard as we see in non-con season.

This team has the most abundant scoring potential of any I’ve seen since TDC played. But they need to ramp it up on defense. They need to keep energized and find some energy. They need to quit making bonehead fouls and turnovers- must value every single possession. And easiest of all, it’s time to get serious about free throws. Any 10 year old player can hit free throws. Concentrate on them as if the game hangs in the balance (cause it does). With the exception of KM and AR, I’m just sick when we get to the line and need the points. Tonight sadly, the Griz played down to the level of the competition, just as in the last game.

Gotta get it fixed.

get it together Griz - play as a team
“In all honesty, this is two games in a row where our opponent wanted it more than us,” UM fifth-year head coach Travis DeCuire told Voice of the Griz Riley Corcoran after his team fell to 3-2 in league play, 10-6 overall. “We don’t have a hard time getting up for the teams that have high expectations, the South Dakota States, the Arizonas.

“There is a common respect when they look down at the other end. And I don’t know if we have been giving these other teams that same respect, which is why we have gotten off to slow starts or certain guys get off to slow starts.”

...no sense of urgency...
...nothing happening in transition...
...seen inter mural teams with more fire ...

... :? ...

zengriz said:
...no sense of urgency...
...nothing happening in transition...
...seen inter mural teams with more fire ...

As noted above....no need to depress panic button (yet). But the sleep walking effort makes me a bit edgy

I was at the game last night and sat right behind the bench. There seemed to be a lack of urgency from the players.

The only player towards the end of the game that was showing any passion on the bench was Eddy Egun and he was sitting at the end of the bench in a track suite.

Akoh was not in the game from the beginning. He either missed bunnies or turned the ball over the first few times he touched the ball. I was at the game last year too and Akoh played the same way. He was not a factor at all.

Pridgett amazes me. He gets the majority of his point inside going up against guys that are 4 or 5 inches taller than him and rarely gets the ball blocked.

It would have been nice if UM would have changed up their defense every once in a while and ran a zone just to give a different look. EWU ran their offense until they had an open shot because UM was late on rotation. They found the weakness with about 5 minutes left in the first half and kept running the same plays and we didn't change our defense to stop it.

Overall it was a frustrating game to watch. As Timmy Falls said shaking his head as he was walking to the bench for a time out, "We are better than these guys".

I was at the game last night as well. The pre-game warm up for the two teams seemed to dictate how they ended up playing. Eastern was very business like/focused in their warm-ups and the Griz were having a dunk contest/NBA three point shooting contest. The Griz warm up was very sloppy, half assed and that's the way they played.

Where is the competitive drive? The most competitive person there, and the one with the most fire and intensity was Eddy Egun, and he’s redshirting. Why aren’t the guys who were PLAYING showing the same intensity. Pridgett was the only starter who seemed like he actually wanted it straight from the opening tip. Others started to slack off once we had a lead. Also, Donovan Dorsey needs to play more.

...the i don't give a siht attitude...
...a direct reflection of coaching...
...very contagious and spreads fast...
...really bad when the fans contact it...

Back