• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Think We're Going to Have a Team

Sneed has better mobility for sure and seemed to be able to see the field very well. Also, he threw some nice accurate passes on the run. The DBs were giving a 7-10 yard cushion and he was excellent at exploiting that with our outstanding WRs, who by the way, made some incredible catches, fighting for the ball in heavy traffic. Or making the catch and fighting for yards. That was really good to see. They are a huge strength of this team and they seem focused.

Gretch got off to a slow start, but man, that kid can spin it. The 50 yrd TD to Toure was all Gretch, with a pump to draw the DB and a 40 yard dime on stride. It was a thing of beauty. I am still pulling for him to start but, holy cow, we have a heavy QB competition. Not a bad problem.

The OL was outstanding all day blocking for the pass or the run. Very impressive considering their youth and the fact that they went all day, and it had to be warm down there.

The D seemed generic for most of the time with few blitzes and a line stunt every so often. The DBs were exploited early but ended up with 3 Ints and the overall energy and tackling, I thought,was solid. The transfer safety is a specimen. He should have an impact.

It was all fun to watch. I was joking on the way out that, after 42 points, I was concerned with our defense.

daGrizJ said:
Sneed has better mobility for sure and seemed to be able to see the field very well. Also, he threw some nice accurate passes on the run. The DBs were giving a 7-10 yard cushion and he was excellent at exploiting that with our outstanding WRs, who by the way, made some incredible catches, fighting for the ball in heavy traffic. Or making the catch and fighting for yards. That was really good to see. They are a huge strength of this team and they seem focused.

Gretch got off to a slow start, but man, that kid can spin it. The 50 yrd TD to Toure was all Gretch, with a pump to draw the DB and a 40 yard dime on stride. It was a thing of beauty. I am still pulling for him to start but, holy cow, we have a heavy QB competition. Not a bad problem.

The OL was outstanding all day blocking for the pass or the run. Very impressive considering their youth and the fact that they went all day, and it had to be warm down there.

The D seemed generic for most of the time with few blitzes and a line stunt every so often. The DBs were exploited early but ended up with 3 Ints and the overall energy and tackling, I thought,was solid. The transfer safety is a specimen. He should have an impact.

It was all fun to watch. I was joking on the way out that, after 42 points, I was concerned with our defense.
This. Spot on.

AZGrizFan said:
I agreed with 5700’s change to “expect to compete for” national championships...which is where I believe we were from ‘95-2009.

I was a big Stitt supporter, yes. But he had to rebuild (I know you disagree with that, so no need to re-plow that ground). However, I fully expected that he would ultimately deliver multiple BSC championships and bring UM back to prominence given enough time—I never said I expected him to win an NC. But I also said he had to go after losing to the scats two years in a row—there are certain things that just can’t happen.

But all that has NOTHING to do with the BS people are spewing about Hauck (I’M not the one saying he’s going to win NC’s). Hauck is NOT inheriting what he inherited in 2001. This is not the BSC of 2001 and this is not Joe Glenn’s Griz team...Nor was what Stitt inherited, nor was was Delaney inherited. So to make statements that just because Hauck is back, just because he now “wants to win” (like he somehow didn’t the first time around), and just because he’s a “Montana boy from Sweetgrass High School” that somehow he’s gonna magically deliver the goods this time in a MUCH more competitive environment is either delusional thinking or setting him up for failure.

And if Hauck goes 7-4 for three years and loses to the ‘scats 2 of those three do we put a bullet in HIM too? Or does he get a longer rope “because he’s a Montana boy”?

Do you really believe Hauck's 28-3 (.903) record in 2008 and 2009 was due to what he inherited from Joe Glenn 7 years earlier?

twentythreeOh4 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I agreed with 5700’s change to “expect to compete for” national championships...which is where I believe we were from ‘95-2009.

I was a big Stitt supporter, yes. But he had to rebuild (I know you disagree with that, so no need to re-plow that ground). However, I fully expected that he would ultimately deliver multiple BSC championships and bring UM back to prominence given enough time—I never said I expected him to win an NC. But I also said he had to go after losing to the scats two years in a row—there are certain things that just can’t happen.

But all that has NOTHING to do with the BS people are spewing about Hauck (I’M not the one saying he’s going to win NC’s). Hauck is NOT inheriting what he inherited in 2001. This is not the BSC of 2001 and this is not Joe Glenn’s Griz team...Nor was what Stitt inherited, nor was was Delaney inherited. So to make statements that just because Hauck is back, just because he now “wants to win” (like he somehow didn’t the first time around), and just because he’s a “Montana boy from Sweetgrass High School” that somehow he’s gonna magically deliver the goods this time in a MUCH more competitive environment is either delusional thinking or setting him up for failure.

And if Hauck goes 7-4 for three years and loses to the ‘scats 2 of those three do we put a bullet in HIM too? Or does he get a longer rope “because he’s a Montana boy”?

Do you really believe Hauck's 28-3 (.903) record in 2008 and 2009 was due to what he inherited from Joe Glenn 7 years earlier?

Don’t believe that’s what I said. Not even close.

jcu27 said:
daGrizJ said:

This. Spot on.

Not to downplay Gresch’s nice throw but he did take advantage of a converted WR on Eaton with possibly the best receiver on the team in Toure.

alabamagrizzly said:
jcu27 said:
daGrizJ said:

This. Spot on.

Not to downplay Gresch’s nice throw but he did take advantage of a converted WR on Eaton with possibly the best receiver on the team in Toure.

It was a nice play and nice throw. When a receiver is 10 yards in the open, I don't think that's a tough throw. I was surprised the ball didn't have more air under it, given how open the receiver was. Had the receiver been covered, it would have been a terrific throw Obviously, the secondary made a huge mistake on the play.

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
jcu27 said:
daGrizJ said:

This. Spot on.

It was a nice play and nice throw. When a receiver is 10 yards in the open, I don't think that's a tough throw. I was surprised the ball didn't have more air under it, given how open the receiver was. Had the receiver been covered, it would have been a terrific throw Obviously, the secondary made a huge mistake on the play.

Gresch’s other big play was the ball to Akeem which also had Eaton on the coverage and was also under thrown. Akeem showed amazing concentration to stay with the balk and come down with it. All in all, I was more impressed with Sneed yesterday then Gresch. I think he might’ve been pressing too hard where Dalton wasn’t. He did a better job of hitting his check downs. His only real bad throw was the blanket coverage by Crow.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
jcu27 said:
This. Spot on.

Gresch’s other big play was the ball to Akeem which also had Eaton on the coverage and was also under thrown. Akeem showed amazing concentration to stay with the balk and come down with it. All in all, I was more impressed with Sneed yesterday then Gresch. I think he might’ve been pressing too hard where Dalton wasn’t. He did a better job of hitting his check downs. His only real bad throw was the blanket coverage by Crow.

Agreed, Sneed seems to be better at finding the open man on the short and intermediate routes but I thought his deep balls were lacking strength. ie; He was lucky to get the PI call on the underthrown deep ball that the WR had to stop and come back for, running into the DB, and several others that the DBs were able to defend because the ball just wasn't there. No doubt, I am nitpicking because I'm pulling for Gretch. The obvious thing yesterday is we have two very capable QBs and I can"t remember many seasons when we didn't need two.

That was a great catch for Akem and Toure made one also when he juggled the out, got hit by two defenders and still managed to snag the ball out of the air before he went down. These two are going to give DCs fits.

AZGrizFan said:
twentythreeOh4 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Don’t believe that’s what I said. Not even close.

hauck inherited a great football team, but more importantly, along with great players he inherited a long streak of excellence, an excited fan base, and an awesome home game-day atmosphere. from what i've been told, he also inherited some pretty shitty training facilities. however, read, dennehy, and glenn also had to deal with those, and created the caddy bobby was gifted. so in a way, yes, the things he inherited from glenn did have a direct impact on hauck's first tenure - which is why many on here 'expect' montana to win championships.

Argh you are way off if you think Bobby inherited a great team 1st time around. Joe Glenn inherited a great program from Don Read and Mick Denehey. Joe drove the Cadillac for three years and left about a quarter tank of gas in it before he left to Wyoming to drive a Prius.

Grizwold said:
Argh you are way off if you think Bobby inherited a great team 1st time around. Joe Glenn inherited a great program from Don Read and Mick Denehey. Joe drove the Cadillac for three years and left about a quarter tank of gas in it before he left to Wyoming to drive a Prius.

Please. That 2002 team was 9-0; then Glenn got the Wyoming job and quit coaching. NOBODY can say BH did NOT inherit a Cadillac while insisting that Stitt DID.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizwold said:

Please. That 2002 team was 9-0; then Glenn got the Wyoming job and quit coaching. NOBODY can say BH did NOT inherit a Cadillac while insisting that Stitt DID.

Sure, people say that. In fact, most people who actually know the facts will say that. Hauck didn't inherit a Cadillac or a complete Cadillac. The team was declining and recruiting was not in good shape. Stitt inherited a team coming off being ranked nos 12 and 8 in the nation. Look at the rankings the past couple years of the team Hauck is inheriting. Look like UM ended up 37th in the last FCS Stats poll.

How can anyone even argue that that is a good ranking? Now, I happen to think the team talent/attitude is much better than that ranking. Talent is important, but so is coaching.

by argh! » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:08 pm

hauck inherited a great football team,

Based on what I saw yesterday he didn't inherit a great defense. While the cupboard isn't totally bare, and I realize some important cogs like Buss were missing, the defensive back situation is not good. Very good thing we don't play EWU and NAU this year because I would fear those receivers just running free. Any return to dominance will require a hefty return to defense, and while Bobby will have them coached up better than most could, the defense is going to take some work that more than likely will need more time and athletes than are available this year.

The only thing I see as a common denominator with any discussion is we are lacking horribly at corner. After watching the scrimmage it is very apparent that running a 4-2-5 seems the only way to compensate for an obvious weakness. We need another corner or two bad like......

sdk.catfish said:
by argh! » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:08 pm

hauck inherited a great football team,

Based on what I saw yesterday he didn't inherit a great defense. While the cupboard isn't totally bare, and I realize some important cogs like Buss were missing, the defensive back situation is not good. Very good thing we don't play EWU and NAU this year because I would fear those receivers just running free. Any return to dominance will require a hefty return to defense, and while Bobby will have them coached up better than most could, the defense is going to take some work that more than likely will need more time and athletes than are available this year.

He was referring to the first time Huack was here. Truth is the team Huack inherited then probably wasn't any better than the one he inherited now.

Grizwold said:
The Caddy May have had a quarter tank of gas but the Ferrari was in route from Boulder , CO. No coach since has had a qb the caliber of Craig Ochs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Grizwold said:

Sure, people say that. In fact, most people who actually know the facts will say that. Hauck didn't inherit a Cadillac or a complete Cadillac. The team was declining and recruiting was not in good shape. Stitt inherited a team coming off being ranked nos 12 and 8 in the nation. Look at the rankings the past couple years of the team Hauck is inheriting. Look like UM ended up 37th in the last FCS Stats poll.

How can anyone even argue that that is a good ranking? Now, I happen to think the team talent/attitude is much better than that ranking. Talent is important, but so is coaching.

Hauck inherited a team that went 10-3 in 2002, finished #7 in the country and lost in quarterfinals of the playoffs. Sound familiar? So, either BOTH he and Stitt inherited cadillacs, or neither did, but it certainly isn’t one and not the other.

You are forgetting those teams in 2000, 2001, 2002 were Denehey's recruits. Not Joe Glenns. Make no mistake about it Joe left the cupboard pretty bare and Bobby coached what he had up.

Grizwold said:
You are forgetting those teams in 2000, 2001, 2002 were Denehey's recruits. Not Joe Glenns. Make no mistake about it Joe left the cupboard pretty bare and Bobby coached what he had up.

That may very well be true, but record, playoff record and final ranking are the facts PR keeps using to prove how great Delaney’s recruits were and what a Cadillac Stitt inherited and the “fact” PR keeps stating that Stitt didn’t have to rebuild anything. So, like I said before: either the both inherited a Cadillac, or neither did. I’m fine with neither....I’m betting PR isn’t. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Grizwold said:

That may very well be true, but record, playoff record and final ranking are the facts PR keeps using to prove how great Delaney’s recruits were and what a Cadillac Stitt inherited and the “fact” PR keeps stating that Stitt didn’t have to rebuild anything. So, like I said before: either the both inherited a Cadillac, or neither did. I’m fine with neither....I’m betting PR isn’t. :lol:

Neither Hauck or Stitt, or even Glenn, really inherited a Cadillac. Glenn said he did, but it was more talk than reality.

Stitt inherited a good team with a very good tradition. The team got a great win against NDSU and got to the playoffs, but went sideways from there. No playoffs and losses to Cats in next 2 years. Not even close to the top 30.

Hauck inherits a worse situation than Stitt inherited. As they are saying, Return to Dominance. That's what I am hoping for and assume will happen.

So, AZ, you are fine with "neither"? What does that mean?

Back