• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Pride of Montana

EverettGriz said:
Remember when each year for decades bobcat fans would say “the tide is turning”?

Well, when it comes to university success, the tide IS turning, and UM will soon reassert itself as the top and dominant school using every reasonable metric.
I don't think we're going to catch MSU in research academics any time soon.

indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:
Remember when each year for decades bobcat fans would say “the tide is turning”?

Well, when it comes to university success, the tide IS turning, and UM will soon reassert itself as the top and dominant school using every reasonable metric.

Guess we better not even try then... :roll: :roll: :roll:

rgrizfan said:
indian-outlaw said:

Nobody is saying that we shouldn't try. We achieved tier 1 status this year, that is really outstanding. But our university is largely focused on humanities, social science and professions. MSU focuses on formal and natural sciences and frankly their are way more research dollars available for the latter. It is what it is.

indian-outlaw said:
rgrizfan said:
Nobody is saying that we shouldn't try. We achieved tier 1 status this year, that is really outstanding. But our university is largely focused on humanities, social science and professions. MSU focuses on formal and natural sciences and frankly their are way more research dollars available for the latter. It is what it is.

You're actually seeing a major shift in funding towards more humanities especially around trauma and mental health issues. Unfortunately, U of M has even slipped behind MSU in those areas they should be lead. U of M use to be the University of Choice for American Indian students in Montana but that has significantly changed.

uptopgriz said:
indian-outlaw said:

You're actually seeing a major shift in funding towards more humanities especially around trauma and mental health issues. Unfortunately, U of M has even slipped behind MSU in those areas they should be lead. U of M use to be the University of Choice for American Indian students in Montana but that has significantly changed.

"With an average enrollment of over 600 Native American students, the University of Montana perennially has the largest enrollment of Native American students in the Montana University System."

"610 Native American students, a 2.2% increase over 2021. This growth builds on the 23% Native American student growth at UM from 2018 to 2021." https://www.umt.edu/news/2022/09/092622enrl.php

"The number of American Indian/Alaska Native students at MSU has grown 9% over the past five years. MSU saw an overall 3% increase compared to last year in students defined as “under-represented minorities” by the federal government."

Note how much larger MSU is. Native American enrollment faster at UM.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

"With an average enrollment of over 600 Native American students, the University of Montana perennially has the largest enrollment of Native American students in the Montana University System."

"610 Native American students, a 2.2% increase over 2021. This growth builds on the 23% Native American student growth at UM from 2018 to 2021." https://www.umt.edu/news/2022/09/092622enrl.php

"The number of American Indian/Alaska Native students at MSU has grown 9% over the past five years. MSU saw an overall 3% increase compared to last year in students defined as “under-represented minorities” by the federal government."

and the number has grown exponentially at MSU with over 800 American Indian students. 800 > 600 any way you slice it.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

and the number has grown exponentially at MSU with over 800 American Indian students. 800 > 600 any way you slice it.

MSU has grown 9% in NA students in last 5 years. UN has grown 23% in last 3 years.

You think 9% in 5 years is exponential? How dumb are you?

Just when I thought I had seen it all on egriz... here we are - arguing about which school has more native Americans! YAY egriz lol

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

MSU has grown 9% in NA students in last 5 years. UN has grown 23% in last 3 years.

Wonder why they just say the last three years? Here's the rest of the statistics comparing the same timeframe: MSU 9% increase, UM 1.2% increase. "610 Native American students, a 2.2% increase over 2021." Actually, by raw numbers, it is exponentially larger. Caught you lying again.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Wonder why they just say the last three years? Here's the rest of the statistics comparing the same timeframe: MSU 9% increase, UM 1.2% increase. "610 Native American students, a 2.2% increase over 2021." Actually, by raw numbers, it is exponentially larger. Caught you lying again.

Exponential is based on percentage. You are an idiot.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

Talk about dumb. All percentages are based off raw numbers. Exponentially is about growth over time. The more time the more accurate the statistics. Ever heard of Vegas? That’s why you try lying. 9% > 1.2%.: 800 > 600.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Talk about dumb. All percentages are based off raw numbers. Exponentially is about growth over time. The more time that better the statistics. That’s why you try lying. 9% > 1.2%.: 800 > 600.

Nope. You are an idiot. Uneducated.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:
Talk about dumb. All percentages are based off raw numbers. Exponentially is about growth over time. The more time that better the statistics. That’s why you try lying. 9% > 1.2%.: 800 > 600.

Nope. You are an idiot. Uneducated.
[/quote
Took you to school again.—caught you lying again. Stick to your expertise of being compulsive liar.

Who ever you are 99, you need to take your show on the road. Don.t leave off Physical Therapy grads.

Reading through this thread and seeing the positive messages associated with the University of Montana has filled me with great joy these last few weeks. By and large, folks are aware of the incredible work being done at UM and the unfathomable shortcomings in our ability to advertise them.

I want to point out that, though well-intentioned, many of you may have misinterpreted the point of my original post. The original post's text contains only a passing reference to Montana State University. In reality, it's barely a blip on the radar, a brief call to action from those who are tired of hearing that the "serious STEM students" go to Bozeman. Beyond that, the post only references a number of the incredible things being done in Missoula. This is by design. Aside from the few times a year when our Montana Grizzlies face off against our rivals to the East of the Divide on the field and the court, I don't spend much time thinking about what happens at MSU. There is no denying that Waded Cruzado and her administration have done incredible things in Bozeman; however, I don't see the point in comparing ourselves to our neighbors to the East. It is enough to be proud of the work being done in Missoula by our incredible faculty, students, and student-athletes.

The University of Montana is an incredible place to live and learn. While most may think of us as a small liberal arts college in Western Montana (a phrase that is horribly misunderstood–the liberal arts are the foundation of Western civilization and democracy), UM is steadily emerging as a hub of biomedical innovation and research excellence. One only needs to look at our recent increases in research funding in biomedicine and immunotherapeutics to see that this is true. The recent research rankings posted earlier in this thread help to illustrate that UM's research enterprise is continuing to climb.

More important, however, is UM's commitment to securing the promise of public higher education to the sons and daughters of Montana. The recently announced Grizzly Promise will help ensure that Montanans, regardless of economic standing, will have access to the outstanding education available at UM.

During my time at UM, I made the case–and continue to make the case–to the administration that if we focus on our progress relative to our neighbors in Bozeman, we will fall short of our maximum potential as an institution. Over the last decade, UM has undergone more tumult and strain than any other university in the country. We can lament the loss of what was, or we can help to ensure that we reemerge from this period stronger than ever. While we should be concerned with how we stack up relative to our rivals on the field and the court, we should not look to them to determine our strength as an institution. Instead, we should compare ourselves as an institution only relative to who we could be.

Always and forever, Up with Montana!

grizgrad99 said:
Reading through this thread and seeing the positive messages associated with the University of Montana has filled me with great joy these last few weeks. By and large, folks are aware of the incredible work being done at UM and the unfathomable shortcomings in our ability to advertise them.

I want to point out that, though well-intentioned, many of you may have misinterpreted the point of my original post. The original post's text contains only a passing reference to Montana State University. In reality, it's barely a blip on the radar, a brief call to action from those who are tired of hearing that the "serious STEM students" go to Bozeman. Beyond that, the post only references a number of the incredible things being done in Missoula. This is by design. Aside from the few times a year when our Montana Grizzlies face off against our rivals to the East of the Divide on the field and the court, I don't spend much time thinking about what happens at MSU. There is no denying that Waded Cruzado and her administration have done incredible things in Bozeman; however, I don't see the point in comparing ourselves to our neighbors to the East. It is enough to be proud of the work being done in Missoula by our incredible faculty, students, and student-athletes.

The University of Montana is an incredible place to live and learn. While most may think of us as a small liberal arts college in Western Montana (a phrase that is horribly misunderstood–the liberal arts are the foundation of Western civilization and democracy), UM is steadily emerging as a hub of biomedical innovation and research excellence. One only needs to look at our recent increases in research funding in biomedicine and immunotherapeutics to see that this is true. The recent research rankings posted earlier in this thread help to illustrate that UM's research enterprise is continuing to climb.

More important, however, is UM's commitment to securing the promise of public higher education to the sons and daughters of Montana. The recently announced Grizzly Promise will help ensure that Montanans, regardless of economic standing, will have access to the outstanding education available at UM.

During my time at UM, I made the case–and continue to make the case–to the administration that if we focus on our progress relative to our neighbors in Bozeman, we will fall short of our maximum potential as an institution. Over the last decade, UM has undergone more tumult and strain than any other university in the country. We can lament the loss of what was, or we can help to ensure that we reemerge from this period stronger than ever. While we should be concerned with how we stack up relative to our rivals on the field and the court, we should not look to them to determine our strength as an institution. Instead, we should compare ourselves as an institution only relative to who we could be.

I agree with everything you said except beating the neighbors on the field, court, or track. That happens to matter...especially on a sports interwebs site.

SoldierGriz said:
grizgrad99 said:

I agree with everything you said except beating the neighbors on the field, court, or track. That happens to matter...especially on a sports interwebs site.

We are in 100% agreement then, SoldierGriz. My post above clearly states that we should focus on beating them on the court and on the field (underlined). That's the only time we should be concerned with our neighbors to the East.

grizgrad99 said:
SoldierGriz said:

We are in 100% agreement then, SoldierGriz. My post above clearly states that we should focus on beating them on the court and on the field (underlined). That's the only time we should be concerned with our neighbors to the East.

Couldn’t disagree more. Academics are the core of every higher Ed institution and if you can’t beat someone there the other areas are insignificant.

uptopgriz said:
grizgrad99 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Academics are the core of every higher Ed institution and if you can’t beat someone there the other areas are insignificant.

:roll:

Please go to www.umacademicforum.com

grizgrad99 said:
SoldierGriz said:

Hope you keep posting here. Good stuff.

Back