• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Pride of Montana

grizgrad99 said:
First, I'd like to state that I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster. I've been a Griz fan for 20 years and am a proud graduate of the University of Montana. Like many of you, I was disappointed in this year's Cat-Griz game results. A 55-21 loss is a beatdown, no excuses. At the start of the season, we, as fans, dreamed of conference championships, number 1 seeds, and a national title. As often happens, our expectations were tempered by a series of gut-wrenching losses. It's acceptable to be disappointed in this season's outcome. It's good to expect more from Bobby Hauck and his staff. Unfortunately, over the last week, I've seen a disturbing trend on this website. Folks are extrapolating a Cat-Griz loss and concluding that UM is on a downhill slide, destined to fall by the wayside, a lost cause. I'm here to challenge that notion and ask a favor.

I firmly believe that the University of Montana is one of the finest academic institutions in the country. This isn't the result of some maroon-colored glasses. Here are some stats to back this up:

• UM is an R1 research instituion. This classification is granted by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education organization and indicates "Very High Research Activity." Of 4,000 degree-granting institutions in the US, only 146 have achieved this significant milestone. (Link: UM R1 Classification)
• In 2021, the University of Montana was ranked in the top 10 nationwide for research growth. According to the National Science Foundation, of 725 research institutions, UM ranked number 6 for fastest research growth. (Link: UM Research Growth)
• Did you know that UM is home to some of the top pre-medical students in the country (Link: 100th Percentile MCAT) or that 70% of UM pre-med students were admitted to medical school this year (Link: Pre-Med Acceptance)? Also of note, according to the previous article, UM's pre-med students were accepted to some of the top medical schools in the world.
• UM students are consistently among the nation's top students as measured by prestigious scholarship awards/finalist positions (Link: UM Student Wins Prestigious Truman Scholarship) (Link: Two UM Students Named Rhodes Scholarship Finalists). Additionally, UM students and graduates rank among the nation's most promising basic science researchers (Link: UM Students Win Prestigious STEM Award). UM students also routinely win Fulbright Fellowships, allowing them to travel overseas to teach and conduct research (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows) (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows 2022).
• UM students aren't just active in the classroom; they're also committed to strengthening their community. In 2022, Washington Monthly, a DC-based political magazine, ranked the University of Montana as the top university in the country for its commitment to its community and the country (Link: UM Service Recognized as Top in the Country).
• UM faculty are among the nation's leading scholars in the life sciences, forestry, atmospheric chemistry, geology, and many others.
• UM's research enterprise is impressive. Even more incredible is that undergraduate students are leading the charge and actively participating in cutting-edge research in STEM (Link: UM Student Researches Black Holes).
• UM faculty are leading the charge to help increase diversity in STEM, encouraging students from traditionally underrepresented communities to pursue research in the sciences. It's worth noting that the HHMI and the NSF are backing this project at UM to the tune of $12.5 million.

The above list represents only a tiny snapshot of the incredible things happening at the flagship institution in Montana, and I'd bet that a plurality of you didn't know about most, if not all, of these developments. That isn't on you. UM has fallen behind in controlling the narrative about the outstanding education available in Missoula. This is where you come in: Help change the narrative.

If you love Grizzly athletics–I know you do–then I'm asking you to extend that passion and excitement to our beloved university. Step up and challenge people when they proclaim Bozeman the best STEM school in the state. Let people know about the incredible research enterprise in Missoula. If you know high school students interested in biology, chemistry, medicine, political science, English, geology, journalism, social work, education, psychology, mathematics, etc., tell them about all the world-class educational opportunities that exist inside–and outside–the classroom at UM. If you don't know anyone personally, reach out to the admissions office and tell them to step up their advertising. Let them know how proud you are to be an alum of the University of Montana and that you want to encourage the next generation of Grizzlies to pursue their education and dreams at one of the finest institutions in the country in the best college town in the country.

Now, with that out of the way, let's pack that stadium to the brim on Saturday for some playoff football. Up with Montana. GO GRIZ!

Well done sir, well done

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Thanks for the positivity and information. UM needs to self advocate better. Maybe you should be head of the UM marketing! Out of curiosity is MSU an R1 research institution?

MSU is also R1.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
grizgrad99 said:
First, I'd like to state that I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster. I've been a Griz fan for 20 years and am a proud graduate of the University of Montana. Like many of you, I was disappointed in this year's Cat-Griz game results. A 55-21 loss is a beatdown, no excuses. At the start of the season, we, as fans, dreamed of conference championships, number 1 seeds, and a national title. As often happens, our expectations were tempered by a series of gut-wrenching losses. It's acceptable to be disappointed in this season's outcome. It's good to expect more from Bobby Hauck and his staff. Unfortunately, over the last week, I've seen a disturbing trend on this website. Folks are extrapolating a Cat-Griz loss and concluding that UM is on a downhill slide, destined to fall by the wayside, a lost cause. I'm here to challenge that notion and ask a favor.

I firmly believe that the University of Montana is one of the finest academic institutions in the country. This isn't the result of some maroon-colored glasses. Here are some stats to back this up:

• UM is an R1 research instituion. This classification is granted by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education organization and indicates "Very High Research Activity." Of 4,000 degree-granting institutions in the US, only 146 have achieved this significant milestone. (Link: UM R1 Classification)
• In 2021, the University of Montana was ranked in the top 10 nationwide for research growth. According to the National Science Foundation, of 725 research institutions, UM ranked number 6 for fastest research growth. (Link: UM Research Growth)
• Did you know that UM is home to some of the top pre-medical students in the country (Link: 100th Percentile MCAT) or that 70% of UM pre-med students were admitted to medical school this year (Link: Pre-Med Acceptance)? Also of note, according to the previous article, UM's pre-med students were accepted to some of the top medical schools in the world.
• UM students are consistently among the nation's top students as measured by prestigious scholarship awards/finalist positions (Link: UM Student Wins Prestigious Truman Scholarship) (Link: Two UM Students Named Rhodes Scholarship Finalists). Additionally, UM students and graduates rank among the nation's most promising basic science researchers (Link: UM Students Win Prestigious STEM Award). UM students also routinely win Fulbright Fellowships, allowing them to travel overseas to teach and conduct research (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows) (Link: UM Fulbright Fellows 2022).
• UM students aren't just active in the classroom; they're also committed to strengthening their community. In 2022, Washington Monthly, a DC-based political magazine, ranked the University of Montana as the top university in the country for its commitment to its community and the country (Link: UM Service Recognized as Top in the Country).
• UM faculty are among the nation's leading scholars in the life sciences, forestry, atmospheric chemistry, geology, and many others.
• UM's research enterprise is impressive. Even more incredible is that undergraduate students are leading the charge and actively participating in cutting-edge research in STEM (Link: UM Student Researches Black Holes).
• UM faculty are leading the charge to help increase diversity in STEM, encouraging students from traditionally underrepresented communities to pursue research in the sciences. It's worth noting that the HHMI and the NSF are backing this project at UM to the tune of $12.5 million.

The above list represents only a tiny snapshot of the incredible things happening at the flagship institution in Montana, and I'd bet that a plurality of you didn't know about most, if not all, of these developments. That isn't on you. UM has fallen behind in controlling the narrative about the outstanding education available in Missoula. This is where you come in: Help change the narrative.

If you love Grizzly athletics–I know you do–then I'm asking you to extend that passion and excitement to our beloved university. Step up and challenge people when they proclaim Bozeman the best STEM school in the state. Let people know about the incredible research enterprise in Missoula. If you know high school students interested in biology, chemistry, medicine, political science, English, geology, journalism, social work, education, psychology, mathematics, etc., tell them about all the world-class educational opportunities that exist inside–and outside–the classroom at UM. If you don't know anyone personally, reach out to the admissions office and tell them to step up their advertising. Let them know how proud you are to be an alum of the University of Montana and that you want to encourage the next generation of Grizzlies to pursue their education and dreams at one of the finest institutions in the country in the best college town in the country.

Now, with that out of the way, let's pack that stadium to the brim on Saturday for some playoff football. Up with Montana. GO GRIZ!

I know you love the University of Montana; however, please look at the numbers here:

https://www-bozemandailychronicle-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/montana-state-universitys-fall-freshman-enrollment-breaks-record/article_fdd281f8-7568-54ad-8ebc-572f57e7bb47.amp.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16693280638046&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bozemandailychronicle.com%2Fnews%2Fmontana_state_university%2Fmontana-state-universitys-fall-freshman-enrollment-breaks-record%2Farticle_fdd281f8-7568-54ad-8ebc-572f57e7bb47.html

Anyone notice what percentage of the freshman class are nonresident students? Sixty four percent. That is where MSU is making money over U of M. Quit worrying about what the hell is going on 200 miles to the east and focus your recruitment nationally and internationally. You act as if you're in competition with the school that is now surrounded by Bozeangeles and the many part-time residents up the canyon around Lone Mountain. Do you think their recruiters give a shit about what is going on just off Exit 105 on I-90?

I hope you do know that it is best for Montana that both University Systems Excel. They are not really in competition.

Excellent post. I too feel very positive about the new direction the University is headed. Far from perfect but they are turning the ship around. It is a pleasure to see.

The excess negative posts on this site are from trolls. Often multiple screen names are the same idiot troll posting negative crap to reinforce their previous negative post under a different name. This isn’t driving clicks, it is simply driving away actual Montana fans.

If Chris does not get his moderators to cut down on this eGriz will die. It is already a shadow of what it was a decade ago. The percentage of fan posts has greatly diminished. The proportion of Troll posts is approaching a majority on this site.

Disagreement and conflict between posters is fine. However when I see and “hear” the same @sshole starting six separate threads essentially repeating the same thing, nothing but tearing down the program I don’t want to engage them I just want to walk away from eGriz.

Again, thanks for the excellent post. I am confident the University of Montana is on the right path! Hope eGriz redirects itself too as it has certainly been on a prolonged decline.

Although the uncontrolled growth along the Rocky Mountain Front has benefited many, the lack of students has hurt many institutions. This is a realistic target demographic:

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/11/28/university-program-targets-older-professionals-students/

Excellent post gg99 :thumb:

For years, my family has been encouraging students from our community in Northeastern Washington to look at UM when considering their college destination. If I’m not mistaken, in addition to our daughter, there are now 5 other local students currently enrolled at UM with at least 2 more expected to enroll in the fall. We emphasize the following;:

1. UM has world class educators who are accessible.
2. Research opportunities are available early on at UM, unlike at larger schools where they’re reserved for upper division students.
3. A student from Washington with a high school gpa 3.0 or better, who qualifies for the WUUE grant can attend UM for less than the cost of attending Washington State University or the University of Washington.
4. Missoula as a community has everything you could want in a college town (food, music, art, outdoor recreation,
thriving college athletic programs).
5. It’s far enough away from home for you to grow as an individual, but close enough to your support system if needed.

Go Griz!!

grizfnz said:

For years, my family has been encouraging students from our community in Northeastern Washington to look at UM when considering their college destination. If I’m not mistaken, in addition to our daughter, there are now 5 other local students currently enrolled at UM with at least 2 more expected to enroll in the fall. We emphasize the following;:

2. Research opportunities are available early on at UM, unlike at larger schools where they’re reserved for upper division students.
3. A student from Washington with a high school gpa 3.0 or better, who qualifies for the WUUE grant can attend UM for less than the cost of attending Washington State University or the University of Washington.
4. Missoula as a community has everything you could want in a college town (food, music, art, outdoor recreation,
5. It’s far enough away from home for you to grow as an individual, but close enough to your support system if needed.

Go Griz!!

Sounds like the you’re making a smarter argument than the recruiting office. The price point you list in number 3 should be a selling point to students from a lot of the states around the west. Hope we get this figured out and turn it around. I think the university is on the right track, but there’s missed opportunities now that could expedite the turn around as you pointed out. Good job on helping your family and the university.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
indiancoyote said:
It just goes to show how poor a job U of M does with advertising who they are. It also doesn't help to have head football and basketball coaches stuck in 90's.

And then you immediately get negative again. Jesus Christ :roll:
My thoughts exactly.
Don't bring roadblocks to the table but bring solutions.

Great post.

Seems like this group might be in the know.

Having kids currently at UM - I am very aware of the parking issue on campus. Now it was mentioned that a new dorm has been approved for in front of Pantzer Hall - the only dorm parking lot of any size on campus.

Are there plans to address the parking? I think the area currently occupied by the old food zoo and small parking lot to the south of that building would make a great location for a parking garage. Close to all the dorms except Aber.

I can tell you I have heard my kids tell younger friends about the bad parking. Having your kid have to park 4 blocks off campus and walk to dorms at night isn’t a selling point.

grizfnz said:

Go Griz!!

You are much too modest! You need to add your world class tailgate offerings as a 6th bullet item.

mtgriz said:
grizfnz said:

Go Griz!!

You are much too modest! You need to add your world class tailgate offerings as a 6th bullet item.

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, all of our local families and their UM students have a standing invite to our tailgate.

24GRIZ said:
Great post.

Having kids currently at UM - I am very aware of the parking issue on campus. Now it was mentioned that a new dorm has been approved for in front of Pantzer Hall - the only dorm parking lot of any size on campus.

Are there plans to address the parking? I think the area currently occupied by the old food zoo and small parking lot to the south of that building would make a great location for a parking garage. Close to all the dorms except Aber.

I can tell you I have heard my kids tell younger friends about the bad parking. Having your kid have to park 4 blocks off campus and walk to dorms at night isn’t a selling point.
They’re working on it! I have heard that there are plans to build a parking garage, but I’ve heard they’re also looking into adding more lots. Not sure where they think they’re going to put those lots, but UM did add a Director of Parking this semester, a position they’ve never had before, and he’s had his work cut out for them.

One other thing I will mention is that UM will begin construction on a huge multi-phase off campus housing project this Summer on South Campus. They’re planning to add about 500 units or so to the current University Villages, and then remove some of the older units later on down the road. Exciting times from an Infrastructure standpoint!

I would agree UM needs to be more effective in getting the word out about STEM curriculum.
I had a couple that have lived in Msla for most of their lives give me an odd look when I told them my kid was going into pre-med. They actually said he would have to go to MSU for that. :oops:

Griz til I die said:
24GRIZ said:
Great post.

They’re working on it! I have heard that there are plans to build a parking garage, but I’ve heard they’re also looking into adding more lots. Not sure where they think they’re going to put those lots, but UM did add a Director of Parking this semester, a position they’ve never had before, and he’s had his work cut out for them.

One other thing I will mention is that UM will begin construction on a huge multi-phase off campus housing project this Summer on South Campus. They’re planning to add about 500 units or so to the current University Villages, and then remove some of the older units later on down the road. Exciting times from an Infrastructure standpoint!

Might have to pour out a little liquor when they knock down the XX’S (my old stomping grounds back in 75-76).

Remember when each year for decades bobcat fans would say “the tide is turning”?

Well, when it comes to university success, the tide IS turning, and UM will soon reassert itself as the top and dominant school using every reasonable metric.

More great news!

https://twitter.com/umtresearch/status/1608152451508539394?s=46&t=3TA7bq9yA3ZKzYE-T_PoCQ

grizfnz said:
More great news!

https://twitter.com/umtresearch/status/1608152451508539394?s=46&t=3TA7bq9yA3ZKzYE-T_PoCQ

I say this as a Bobcat who is familiar with UM's VPR: he's awesome. What he's done with the pathetic resources MSU/UM get - by comparison with other states - is outstanding.

Back