• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Big Sky race so far...

UC Davis is proving quickly they are legit. They played Stanford extremely tough only losing 30-10 (Standford is the #9 team in the country) and they beat a FBS team in San Jose St (any fcs over fbs is a big deal). They took Idaho to the woodshed and played their back ups pretty much the entire 2nd half. Their QB (Maier) is looking like the best QB in the Conf when you watch the guy, and that’s saying a lot with guys like Gubrud around.

The bottom line is Montana needs to win this weekend. As a side note I believe ewu is going to beat msu and I hope that its by a small margin. IF and that's a big IF we are somehow tied with ewu at the end of the season we would like to have beat t he cats by a larger margin then ewu. But one Saturday at a time..

Go Griz!!

nzone said:
The bottom line is Montana needs to win this weekend. As a side note I believe ewu is going to beat msu and I hope that its by a small margin. IF and that's a big IF we are somehow tied with ewu at the end of the season we would like to have beat t he cats by a larger margin then ewu. But one Saturday at a time..

Go Griz!!

We have like 6 common opponents. I don't think our fate hinges on margin of victory in one game.

Mavman said:
grizfnz said:
Mavman said:
This is how massey rankings have it playing out.
D-1 Predicted
wins wins losses final record
Weber St Big Sky 3-10.750 3 5.37 1.63 8.37 Big Sky Auto
E Washington Big Sky 3-10.750 2 4.86 2.14 6.86 At Large
UC Davis Big Sky 3-10.750 3 4.55 2.45 7.55 At Large
Montana Big Sky 3-10.750 3 4.65 2.35 7.65 At Large
Montana St Big Sky 3-10.750 3 3.89 3.11 6.89 At Large
CS Sacramento 2-20.500 1 4.13 2.87 5.13 Out
Idaho 1-20.333 0 4.03 3.97 4.03 Out
Northern Arizona 2-20.500 2 3.29 3.71 5.29 Out
Idaho St 2-10.667 2 3.3 4.7 5.3 Out

I see no scenario in which 5 teams from the Big Sky make the field.

I agree. I think Montana vs cats will determine who gets in between them. I see 4 teams in.

I agree, but Haley from Stats in his, way too early, playoff predictions, has 5 BSC teams in; EWU,UM, MT St, Davis , & Weber. 4 teams from the MVc and 4 from the CAA.

'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:
Griz will be probably be favored in all their games left except
UC Davis (Probably- Pick em at Home)

UM Schedule
at Poly
Home PSU
at North Dakota
Home UC Davis
at Southern Utah
at Idaho
Home msu

Not playing Weber or Eastern probably assures a game with one of them the opening game of the playoffs if the Griz get there.
Precisely what I said to my spouse earlier this evening.

Which is so fucked....god I hate that rule.

Every year we make the playoffs were basically guaranteed to play a home game against South Dakota State..Weber or a team from California.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:

UM Schedule
at Poly
Home PSU
at North Dakota
Home UC Davis
at Southern Utah
at Idaho
Home msu

Not playing Weber or Eastern probably assures a game with one of them the opening game of the playoffs if the Griz get there.

Which is so f***[*]....god I hate that rule.

Every year we make the playoffs were basically guaranteed to play a home game against South Dakota State..Weber or a team from California.
If you go in as a 1-8 seed that doesn’t happen. I know it’s been a while, but that could happen here soon.

dupuyer griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:

UM Schedule
at Poly
Home PSU
at North Dakota
Home UC Davis
at Southern Utah
at Idaho
Home msu

Which is so f***[*]....god I hate that rule.

If you go in as a 1-8 seed that doesn’t happen. I know it’s been a while, but that could happen here soon.

They still sneak some regionalization into their seeding, even if it isn't official policy.

I hate regionalization.

AZDoc said:
And Davis used to do very well in D-2. They've transitioned and have a solid coaching staff there. I think they will be solid for quite a few years. Still hope that the Defense figures it out by the time we see them at home.

You are correct, they have a great staff. People forget how good of a coach Dan Hawkins is. He was responsible for building the foundation for Boise States rise to relevancy in the FBS. "Through the 2005 season, he compiled a 53–11 record (.828) in five seasons as Boise State's head coach, including a 37–3 record (.925) in WAC competition with four straight WAC titles. Only Walter Camp, George Washington Woodruff and Bob Pruett had more total wins in their first five years of head coaching. He holds a 31–game WAC winning streak, the longest in conference history."

grizfan406 said:
...People forget how good of a coach Dan Hawkins is...

Yeah, then again he absolutely stunk it up at CU (19-39 overall record over 5 years). The low point is when he refused to replace his son Cody as QB despite absolutely stinking the place up. One of the games is seared in my memory where is was extremely painful to watch the blatant nepotism. Now that there is no son to force-fit onto the field he could get back to being a winning coach.

nzone said:

Go Griz!!

Do we really know if EWU is that good tho??? Theyve beaten a decent NAU buy a score...than destroyed a D2 and a bad Cal Poly.

With Idaho having FBS talent holdovers, UC Davis’ record to date is impressive. Basically, they’ve played 3 fbs teams and are 3-1.

Paytonlives said:
retiredpopo said:
We will win the big sky because we wont lose a game and the worst we could do is tie for the championship because either EW or W will lose one conference game. They both might lose a game as well so we either win out right or tie.

Bold

Does not seem so bold. We win out no doubt about it.

Davis and EWU are the best teams in the conference right now, IMO.

Weber and UM are probably in the next tier, with an argument for ISU to be in there.

Remainder of our schedule, Davis will be a very difficult game. MSU concerns me. Our run D needs to improve.

Sam A. Blitz said:

Weber and UM are probably in the next tier, with an argument for ISU to be in there.

Remainder of our schedule, Davis will be a very difficult game. MSU concerns me. Our run D needs to improve.

It depends on how the conference chooses to address officiating. Kind of ironic, the teams (Sac State and Poly) that got away with obvious holds (verging on tackles) had their way with our run defense. If officiating remains to not call the obvious holds, then our defense needs to improve a lot on avoiding it. Seems to me, we often have players in proper position to make the necessary plays. It will be interesting to keep an eye on, as the season progresses. The other option will be, use Sims as a DE against better running teams. I honestly feel, Sims is better suited for DE any way. At the very least, Sims at DE would force teams to run away from his side more often.

mtgrizrule said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

It depends on how the conference chooses to address officiating. Kind of ironic, the teams (Sac State and Poly) that got away with obvious holds (verging on tackles) had their way with our run defense. If officiating remains to not call the obvious holds, then our defense needs to improve a lot on avoiding it. Seems to me, we often have players in proper position to make the necessary plays. It will be interesting to keep an eye on, as the season progresses. The other option will be, use Sims as a DE against better running teams. I honestly feel, Sims is better suited for DE any way. At the very least, Sims at DE would force teams to run away from his side more often.

I would love for Sims to play DE

Sam A. Blitz said:

EWU always has a melt down it's just what they do. We will be BSC champs all by ourselves. MSU has not really shown anything that concerns me, I have watched two of their losses and they just dont look like I thought they would.

With our remaining schedule I think Montana has a legit shot at an outright conference title this year. Our schedule is very favorable down the stretch. Our toughest remaining games are Davis, Idaho, and MSU. Go Griz!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
With our remaining schedule I think Montana has a legit shot at an outright conference title this year. Our schedule is very favorable down the stretch. Our toughest remaining games are Davis, Idaho, and MSU. Go Griz!

Beginning of the season I thought Idaho would give us trouble but after watching them I have no worries. Pretty nice when our toughest games are not all that tough.

Back