• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Summer 2022 Transfers (8)

IntuitiveGriz said:
griz4life said:
Right. This kid isn't a linebacker, he's an Iowa WR walk-on, one of eight walk-ons that was re-assigned to linebacker. And, he wasn't a receiver in high school, more of a slotback/wr for a team with using flexbone option formations. 1,400 yards running, 708 receiving. 1st team 2A all state captain, as a rb.
This is a tiny high school, about 400 kids. played both ways.

So Montana class A level. 😁

"Tiny." :roll: A relative term. Montana knows tiny.

dayday said:
MSU got some transfers and announced them…

It’s hilarious in the 406 Sports article, the pic they show for their headliner, a Sr safety transfer from Arizona, is missing a tackle against NAU as they score a TD.

Somebody needs to shoot Taber an email and just confirm that the reason they’re not announcing transfers is because Bobby won’t let them. It’s the only explanation I got.

Griz til I die said:
Somebody needs to shoot Taber an email and just confirm that the reason they’re not announcing transfers is because Bobby won’t let them. It’s the only explanation I got.

Griz (lack of) sports info is going to eventually start hurting at the ticket gate. There are 3 "directors of communication" and one "graduate assistant" within the athletic department. Taber assigned to men's football and men's tennis. Are those 4 jobs full time?

https://gogriz.com/staff-directory

Mousegriz said:
Griz (lack of) sports info is going to eventually start hurting at the ticket gate.

LOL, bullshit. Bottom line is wins/losses will dictate the gate. Are you seriously going to tell me that people are going to stay away because the athletic program may or may not announce a few spring transfers?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Mousegriz said:
Griz (lack of) sports info is going to eventually start hurting at the ticket gate.

LOL, bullshit. Bottom line is wins/losses will dictate the gate. Are you seriously going to tell me that people are going to stay away because the athletic program may or may not announce a few spring transfers?

Did I say that not announcing spring transfers would keep people away from games? Don't think I did. Do I think an oversized group of "information" guys that don't provide much information on a wide range of sports (and players) will someday affect attendance? Yes I do.... along with lots of other factors.

This will be an interesting year for FB attendance. Not that many feature home games and last year was lifted by the early UW upset and fact that there were no games the prior year. The old guard of diehard Griz fans is slowly fading into the sunset. I don't see an equal number of replacements. I've got my tickets for this upcoming season. Next year....not so sure.

Mousegriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Did I say that not announcing spring transfers would keep people away from games? Don't think I did. Do I think an oversized group of "information" guys that don't provide much information on a wide range of sports (and players) will someday affect attendance? Yes I do.... along with lots of other factors.

This will be an interesting year for FB attendance. Not that many feature home games and last year was lifted by the early UW upset and fact that there were no games the prior year. The old guard of diehard Griz fans is slowly fading into the sunset. I don't see an equal number of replacements. I've got my tickets for this upcoming season. Next year....not so sure.
You’re pulling a lot of excuses out of your ass! You don’t think with the influx of people moving into Missoula/Montana that there aren’t people willing to buy tickets lost by the old die hard fans? Plus you don’t think with home games against South Dakota (likely at night), Idaho, and Eastern that attendance will suck this year? I heard season ticket sales were tremendous this year! The only reason that I think attendance may be affected this year is because of inflation and gas prices.

Go ahead and not renew, guarantee you there will be somebody willing to take your tickets.

Mousegriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Griz (lack of) sports info is going to eventually start hurting at the ticket gate. There are 3 "directors of communication" and one "graduate assistant" within the athletic department. Taber assigned to men's football and men's tennis. Are those 4 jobs full time?

Do we know for sure there are even any transfers to announce?

alabamagrizzly said:
Mousegriz said:

No. We don't.

alabamagrizzly said:
Mousegriz said:

Some rumor and evidence there might be a couple to announce at least.

dayday said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Better wait until November to announce. Would hate for other teams and our fans to have info on who is on the roster.

Griz til I die said:
Mousegriz said:

You’re pulling a lot of excuses out of your ass! You don’t think with the influx of people moving into Missoula/Montana that there aren’t people willing to buy tickets lost by the old die hard fans? Plus you don’t think with home games against South Dakota (likely at night), Idaho, and Eastern that attendance will suck this year? I heard season ticket sales were tremendous this year! The only reason that I think attendance may be affected this year is because of inflation and gas prices.

Go ahead and not renew, guarantee you there will be somebody willing to take your tickets.

Do you believe that all those new people are automatically going to switch over to the Griz? Sure they may attend a game, maybe two, but most will be home watching their teams, i.e. USC, Cal, and UCLA. These folks don't have ties to UM beyond living in Missoula for a short period of time. They aren't likely to become diehards or season ticket holders unless their kids enroll at the little local community college 10-15 years down the road.
A better question to ask is if the dip in enrollment is eventually going to have an effect on season tickets? The old guard of Griz will eventually need to be replaced, and are there enough upcoming alumni to continue the support the griz now enjoy?

MTCowpoke said:
Griz til I die said:

Do you believe that all those new people are automatically going to switch over to the Griz? Sure they may attend a game, maybe two, but most will be home watching their teams, i.e. USC, Cal, and UCLA. These folks don't have ties to UM beyond living in Missoula for a short period of time. They aren't likely to become diehards or season ticket holders unless their kids enroll at the little local community college 10-15 years down the road.
A better question to ask is if the dip in enrollment is eventually going to have an effect on season tickets? The old guard of Griz will eventually need to be replaced, and are there enough upcoming alumni to continue the support the griz now enjoy?
Do you have any idea how stupid you sound? For starters, I have heard all kinds of stories and even met a few people already who have recently moved to Montana from out of state and now have season tickets. In fact, one couple I met tailgating last year said they had no previous ties to UM or Montana whatsoever, but said they loved the all-around experience (tailgating, game, crowd noise) and fell in love with the Griz and are all in on them, and would be buying season tickets next year. Now I will agree, not everyone who moves into the area won't be interested, but I'm wiling to bet it's a bigger number than you realize.

And as far as your cracks on enrollment, there will be plenty of alumni to replace the older generation. And our enrollment is no longer dropping, we were up 4% last year, and are expected to be up even more this upcoming schoolyear. Funny story, last month I was doing scorekeeping for the Class B State Golf tournament and got to talking with some of the players who were Seniors and asked them where they were going to college. I was only able to ask about 4 of them, but all 4 said UM, and these were kids from as far East as Huntley Project, as far North in Shelby, and even Bigfork and Plains. In fact, one of the girls I talked to said she wanted to go to msu, but Bozeman has just become completely unaffordable and she couldn't afford it. Seems to me like that's becoming more and more of a concern for msu. How long until in-state kids can't afford it anymore? I've already heard that msu has had to largely focus on recruiting more out of state kids because of all their high bills. How long until no Montana kids can afford it anymore and your enrollment starts to drop? Could be anytime soon!

MTCowpoke said:
Griz til I die said:

I heard Duke is going through the same issues with only 7,000 undergrads through the years. They can’t seem to drum up any support for athletics. UNC-Greensboro is clearly superior and has more support because it has like 16,000 students.

CDAGRIZ said:
dayday said:

Better wait until November to announce. Would hate for other teams and our fans to have info on who is on the roster.

finally, someone who understands the situation.

CDAGRIZ said:
MTCowpoke said:

I heard Duke is going through the same issues with only 7,000 undergrads through the years. They can’t seem to drum up any support for athletics. UNC-Greensboro is clearly superior and has more support because it has like 16,000 students.
Duke is struggling, no doubt. I don’t see how they will replace their old fans. Maybe steal some from Wake Forest.

Confirmed through insta on the Iowa kid.

https://instagram.com/wegener25?igshid=NmZiMzY2Mjc=

Back