• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Football

Da Boyz Mom said:
grizpack said:
Nope. In Bozeman.

I could swear I read something in a news article that said the rotation would be preserved but I have no idea where I would have seen it.

Don't think so. You guys got screwed out of a home game, and I got screwed out of one of my favorite weekend trips. We'll just add these to the list of all the things that screwed people over this year. :(

I just put some feelers out to see if Southeast Missouri State would be interested in playing in one of these non-conference games. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

grizpsych said:
I just put some feelers out to see if Southeast Missouri State would be interested in playing in one of these non-conference games. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

My guess is this will never happen. I think there is a reason that 3 schools announced playing 2 games each.

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizpsych said:

My guess is this will never happen. I think there is a reason that 3 schools announced playing 2 games each.

Worth a shot. To my knowledge, SEMO has only played one game this year against SIU.

They can spin it as their first concern is about player safety, but everyone knows if they could put 25,000 fans in the stands for the 3 home games the Griz would be first in line to play a spring schedule. I am not saying player safety is not a legitimate concern, I am saying the PRIMARY reason for opting out is financial and player safety is a convenient excuse.

SloStang said:
They can spin it as their first concern is about player safety, but everyone knows that if the could put 25,000 fans in the stands for the 3 home games the Griz would be first in line to play a spring schedule. I am not saying player safety is not a legitimate concern, I am saying the PRIMARY reason for opting out is financial and player safety is a convenient excuse.

Not sure it was the Primary reason for all.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SloStang said:
They can spin it as their first concern is about player safety, but everyone knows that if the could put 25,000 fans in the stands for the 3 home games the Griz would be first in line to play a spring schedule. I am not saying player safety is not a legitimate concern, I am saying the PRIMARY reason for opting out is financial and player safety is a convenient excuse.

You are right, Sac State opted out a long time ago because I think they believed that it gave them the best chance to win in the fall of 2021. The Griz and the Bobcats waited to see if they could have fans in the stands to help finance a spring season. There will limited or no fans this spring and THAT is why they opted out NOW and did not opt out back when Sac State did.

SloStang said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You are right, Sac State opted out a long time ago because I think they believed that it gave them the best chance to win in the fall of 2021. The Griz and the Bobcats waited to see if they could have fans in the stands to help finance a spring season. There will limited or no fans this spring and THAT is why they opted out NOW and did not opt out back when Sac State did.

I can tell you for a fact that not all people involved in the decision at Montana had money has the primary reason to opt out.

MikeyGriz said:
Money can't be the primary reason for most teams, otherwise they'd never play during any season!

You are right about most schools, but I believe it is the reason Montana and Montana State are opting out. Why wait until now? Because they NOW know there will not be fans in the stands. If it were player safety what has changed in that regard since Sac State opted out claiming player safety months ago? It would have been better for the rest of the conference if they came to that revelation a few months back when they were setting up schedules. If you are honest you have to agree that not being able to fill your stadium to capacity is most likely the primary reason Montana and Montana State opted out now and not earlier. It is not the only reason and I am sure player safety is a big part of the decision, but no fans to finance the spring season is at the top. If it were player safety they should have made that decision when the conference asked who was in for a 6 game spring season.

SloStang said:
MikeyGriz said:
Money can't be the primary reason for most teams, otherwise they'd never play during any season!

You are right about most schools, but I believe it is the reason Montana and Montana State are opting out. Why wait until now? Because they NOW know there will not be fans in the stands. If it were player safety what has changed in that regard since Sac State opted out claiming player safety months ago? It would have been better for the rest of the conference if they came to revelation a few months back when they were setting up schedules. If you are honest you have to agree that not being able to fill your stadium to capacity is most likely the primary reason Montana and Montana State opted out now and not earlier.

I agree about Griz & Cats.

what a slap in the face to the rest of the fcs, i personally cannot believe montana/montana state did this. just a shame.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SloStang said:

Stang has it correct.

Brother Bear said:
Why didn't Big Sky Conference go ahead and play a fall schedule? Un-real.... Why didn't UM and MSU just play I think we can all agree a spring season was never going to happen, but why pretend?
To keep the fanbase and most importantly the the booster and donors engaged with the program.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SloStang said:

I can tell you for a fact that not all people involved in the decision at Montana had money has the primary reason to opt out.

My thoughts on opting out now:

1) Finacial
2) Player safety
3) Fresh Legs for fall could give the Griz an advantage over the 100+ teams that played a Spring season.

SloStang said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

1) Finacial
2) Player safety
3) Fresh Legs for fall could give the Griz an advantage over the 100+ teams that played a Spring season.

fresh legs? these are 18-22 year old physical specimans! cmon i agree with Stang, if this is purely financial, then the FCS is in bigger trouble than we thought.
(Indiana state opted out tuesday)

SloStang said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

1) Finacial
2) Player safety

I am not saying that in the end it didn't boil down the money. What I am saying is that for a few, money wasn't the primary reason to opt out. And Kem nailed it as to why they waited, to keep fans, and more importantly boosters, engaged.

Bisonation said:
SloStang said:

1) Finacial
2) Player safety

fresh legs? these are 18-22 year old physical specimans! cmon i agree with Stang, if this is purely financial, then the FCS is in bigger trouble than we thought.
(Indiana state opted out tuesday)

Is the lunch buffet over?

Back