• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Good Basketball Going On ...

I don't know if it's comforting or not, but GA State got absolutely waxed by Houston today. For all of us wondering when they were placed above us and saying their league is better than ours, I would take our game over what the beating they took. Reminds me of the two NCAA Tourney games Tinkle coached.

PeauxRouge said:
I don't know if it's comforting or not, but GA State got absolutely waxed by Houston today. For all of us wondering when they were placed above us and saying their league is better than ours, I would take our game over what the beating they took. Reminds me of the two NCAA Tourney games Tinkle coached.
Not so bad in the first half, with GSU down by "only" 9. But they got pummeled 44-24 after the break ... and Houston played a lot of subs late. Not pretty.

Wow! Tough day for brackets ... if you mostly followed the seeds (we didn't): 16 games played today (one still in progress) and 8 games have been won by the weaker seed.

In the game still going, the weaker seed (St. Louis) has staged a major comeback from a 22-point halftime deficit to close to within 10.

We’ve had a fascinating few days of basketball. The play-in games were pretty intense. Still, because the seeds were equal, you could not say there were any surprises.

After that, however, things got weird. That obviously starts with the three 12-seed upsets against the 5-seeds. But did you also notice that three of the four 7-seeds went out? Now a 10-seed over a 7 is not considered a huge upset … but still. And those 8 vs 9-seed games are usually considered a toss-up anyway. But it turns out … not one 8-seed survived the first round.

All told, in the 32 matchups after the “First Four,” 12 (over a third) went to the so-called underdogs.

That means we get some unlikely matchups this weekend. Example: Murray State vs Florida in Hartford, CT. Being a 4-seed, Florida is favored, but I would not want to bet against the 12-seed Racers. Tomorrow, we get UC Irvine vs Oregon in San Jose. How often do see a 13- vs 12-seed game in the second round?

What looked, for a long time, like a "routine" win for LSU over Maryland has turned into a barn-burner. Now going back and forth with alternating 1-point leads ... about 2 min to go.

Meanwhile, over in the NIT, the Indiana-Arkansas game came right down to the last shot. Had the Razorback's desperation trey gone in, we'd have had overtime. But it didn't, so Hoosiers won 63-60.

Is anybody out there?

Wofford is giving Kentucky a hell of a tussle. Down by just a basket with 38 sec to go. (Took a timeout.)

Edit: Shucks. "Live by the sword, die by the sword." Wofford lived by the 3-point shot ... but they hit less than 30% in this game. They still only lost by 6 points.

mtgrizrule said:
Ja is doing it again. I love this kid. I'm on the Murray State bandwagon. #goracers
Racers had it going early on, then FSU kinda leaned on them They'll need a big comeback.

Meanwhile, Michigan is making another offense look bad. If they could actually score themselves, that game would be a blowout.

Edit: Well hell, the Griz gave up more points, but Florida couldn't even make it to 50.

IdaGriz01 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Ja is doing it again. I love this kid. I'm on the Murray State bandwagon. #goracers
Racers had it going early on, then FSU kinda leaned on them They'll need a big comeback.

Meanwhile, Michigan is making another offense look bad. If they could actually score themselves, that game would be a blowout.

Edit: Well hell, the Griz gave up more points, but Florida couldn't even make it to 50.

The GRIZ loss will stay with me until next season. As for Ja, I feel for him. Hope he makes it big in the NBA. I hardly ever watch NBA anymore. I surely would watch him though.

Thought Villanova would give Purdue a tough time, but they're getting pounded. Can't tell about this Purdue team. Seems like they've been hot and cold all year ... this game, they're hot.

Picked Auburn to win, but can't say we expected such a dominating performance. For those who didn't watch, the game was not even as close as the final score, 89-75, might suggest. Auburn led by 20-25 points for much of the game and started burning clock on every possession with 3-4 minutes left in the game.

How much of basketball is mental? A lot.

Example: Tennessee came out on fire, could do no wrong, and led at the half, 49-28. Game over ... right?
Wrong. They came out flat, while Iowa came out on fire. Same bunch of guy on each team, but a total flip-flop in intensity. The Vols finally won it in overtime, but you'll hardly see a more glaring case of the "mental game."

In other basketball news, Tulane has lured Coach Ron Hunter away from Georgia State:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...8346/tulane-hiring-georgia-state-hunter-coach

Considering what a piece of crap Tulane basketball has been, he's taking on quite a challenge. On the other hand, the Sun Belt has been a one-bid conference for as far back as I can check, whereas the American often gets as many as four bids, like they did this year. He only has to make Tulane "pretty good" to have a chance at a bid ... unlike at Ga State, where he basically had to run the table to get a bid.

Well, whatever "formula" the committee used, they screwed up with their 12-seed for Oregon. After pounding a pretty damn good Wisconsin team (14-6 in the Big Ten, remember), they took care of business against a not-bad UC-Irvine.

Tomorrow we get to see the start of the “Sweet Sixteen.” Some (actually, most) of the matchups look like they could be interesting -- and terrific -- games.

But how we got here is also pretty interesting. First, it’s worth noting that there are no genuine “Cinderella” teams left (will come back to 12-seed Oregon in a moment). That is to say, there are no teams left from any of the weak one-bid conferences. Of course, most of those teams were seeded 14 thru 16, and only two received better than a 12. The two exceptions, Buffalo (6-seed) and Wofford (7-seed), are also out. As a matter of fact, only one team from a two-bid conference remains: Gonzaga.

The other fifteen teams are from conferences that received three or more bids. It is of some minor interest that the American Athletic and Big East conferences, each of which got four bids, have just one team out of their eight between them still in … Houston, a 3-seed. Villanova, last year’s national champion, is among the missing.

Another interesting point is what happened to the Big 12, touted all season long as the “real” power conference. And they did indeed lead in overall NET and RPI rankings and had the best winning percentage against other power conference opponents. They got six teams in, four of which received seeds of 6 or better. But only Texas Tech made it into the Sweet Sixteen. Hmmm.

That leaves us with thirteen teams. Twelve of those are from the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, and Southeastern conferences. Those three conferences started with twenty-two in, which means that more than half of them reached the Sweet Sixteen. Pretty impressive.

That leaves one: Oregon, a (supposedly) 12-seed. FYI, half the remaining field are 1- or 2-seeds, and the “worst” is a 5-seed (Auburn). Is there anyone left who thinks Oregon only “deserved” a 12-seed? They roughed up UC-Irvine (73-54) as well as Wisconsin (72-54) to reach the Sweet Sixteen. Wisconsin was a legit contender, having won 23 games and being ranked #21 in the final AP and Coaches’ polls (had been as high as #15).

Oregon closed the regular season with four straight wins, followed by four wins in the conference tournament, and finished with a 20-point blow-out of Washington. But that meant nothing because (to the the committee) the Pac-12 was too weak for that to matter. As a matter of side interest, the three Pac-12 teams won four games in the Big Dance, the “more powerful” Big East, with four teams in … won just one game.

Close game in the NIT. Lipscomb hanging within 2 points at North Carolina State ... despite some pretty blatant homer calls (noted by the announcers). Can't image Lipscomb can stay close all the way.

Edit: Meanwhile, Colorado is getting pounded by Texas.

IdaGriz01 said:
Close game in the NIT. Lipscomb hanging within 2 points at North Carolina State ... despite some pretty blatant homer calls (noted by the announcers). Can't image Lipscomb can stay close all the way.

Edit: Meanwhile, Colorado is getting pounded by Texas.
Still close at NC State, and Lipscomb actually had the lead for a bit. Coach for NC State got T'ed up ... and hasn't really calmed down since. Would not surprise me if he gets gone. Meanwhile, the color announcer thinks a hand on the ball with a hip check to knock the shooter down is a "clean block" -- at least if it's by an NC State player.

Well, what do you know? Lipscomb, out of the Atlantic Sun, went into NC State and pulled off the upset. Not quite a buzzer-beater, but close enough. NC State had 1.7 sec left, but could not make the shot, so Lipscomb won 94-93 and are heading for New York and the NIT semifinals. One hell of a game.

Back