• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

TCCGRIZ said:
I whole heartedly agree with you on term limits, problem with that though is you have to figure out the " Adviser and Aides " who spend their entire lives in Washington.
Term limits on them as well ??
Now regarding the other part of your comment.
I'm not sure of the percentage but qu iui te a few people are in a different field from what their degree is ..
So if we get rid of big corporations, you get countries like china take over and start building more than they do now . How is what they are doing now working for us .90 % of antibiotics are made in china . What morons allowed that to happen .
Who in congress is in bed with china , Pelosi , Biden and Fienstien. I'm sure both sides of the aisle are to b li ame .
So who takes over the auto industry? You know how much money it takes for R&D ?? Just imagine the debacle you'd have if you had 200 small companies making automobiles . ( maintenance and parts ???) Or let's say the same for, appliances, heavy equipment, toilet paper , cell phones , computers , structural steel for ships and buildings, copper wire , PVC pipe , ceiling tiles , floor tile and carpet .
The list goes on .
Please explain how all that would work .

There will never be term limits because it's a job in which they don't have to do anything and get paid millions by lobbyists.

Corporations will never go away because of the protection from congress. I would love for your scenario to come true because all we have now is Shit for corporations that can't make anything that works. I have brand new Maytag / Whirlpool appliances, only one works properly.

My Sister had a brand new Jeep Cherokee that was in the shop more than she drove it. You Tube "I bought a jeep lemon"

Your answer to "Please explain how all that would work" is simple... It wouldn't at all for a while. But it doesn't right now anyway. My parents bought a house in the 80's when I was 10, and sold it in 2012. They had the same damn dishwasher the whole time, but my brand new dishwasher doesn't work.

People born in the late 90's don't understand that stuff was built to last for decades before corporations went to Shit.

There might be some good corporations left, but I don't know of any. My main targets are corporations that were bought...

Craftsman used to be the best, arguably. That's an exception because it became China shit before being bought by Stanley.

Maytag was the best, arguably. Since being bought by Whirlpool, it is Shit.

Bowflex used to make good machines. Since they were bought by Nautilus, it's worthless garbage shit.

Bali made my blinds wrong, they are short by 1/2 inch on the sides, but they refuse to fix the problem because they are shit.

People bought $80,000 BMW 7 Series and spent $40,000 trying to fix the pieces of shit.

As much as I bitch about corporations, I can't blame them. With no regulation, why make stuff that works?

What's up with the Western MT Clinic laying off a bunch of people? One employee thought as many as 100? Are they shooting themselves in the foot by postponing too many procedures?

The postponing of routine surgeries due to wanting to keep beds open, seems unnecessary if not ridiculous in a place like MT. If beds and supplies were getting short, then, yes, stop more of the routine stuff.

"Scores of nurses, support staff and other medical workers at Western Montana Clinic in Missoula were suddenly either laid off indefinitely or had their hours reduced last week."

https://missoulian.com/news/local/weste ... e-trending

NY Times Editorial:

"Coronavirus Is Advancing. All Americans Need to Shelter in Place.

The worst of the pandemic is yet to come. Listen to the medical experts. It’s time for a national lockdown.

President Trump needs to call for a two-week shelter-in-place order, now, as part of a coherent national strategy for the coronavirus to protect Americans and their livelihoods."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/opinion/coronavirus-trump-lockdown.html

Really? In a a place like MT that have few, if any, who are sick enough to be in a hospital. New Yorkers choose to live in such a crowded place, where the virus spreads more easily. We have lots of space and relatively few cases. Why include places like MT? New Yorkers must really believe the world revolves around them.

Seems like Senator Shumer was able to get a considerably better bill through the Senate, compared to Moscow Mitch's opening bid:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/us/politics/whats-in-coronavirus-stimulus-bill.html

Supervisory board for loan recipients, enhanced unemployment for workers, no loans to to Trump. Way better.

mcg said:
Seems like Senator Shumer was able to get a considerably better bill through the Senate, compared to Moscow Mitch's opening bid:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/us/politics/whats-in-coronavirus-stimulus-bill.html

Supervisory board for loan recipients, enhanced unemployment for workers, no loans to to Trump. Way better.

The changes were fine and, in my view, not very significant. Trump and his family were never going to get loans. Congressional oversight will mainly just introduce politics and delay, but whatever. The unemployment wasn't enhanced much. Just includes more people like freelancers and gig economy workers.

PlayerRep said:
NY Times Editorial:

The worst of the pandemic is yet to come. Listen to the medical experts. It’s time for a national lockdown.

President Trump needs to call for a two-week shelter-in-place order, now, as part of a coherent national strategy for the coronavirus to protect Americans and their livelihoods."

Really? In a a place like MT that have few, if any, who are sick enough to be in a hospital. New Yorkers choose to live in such a crowded place, where the virus spreads more easily. We have lots of space and relatively few cases. Why include places like MT? New Yorkers must really believe the world revolves around them.
I agree PR. The facts are the facts. I'm not pretending that Montana is immune to this and I think we'll see cases go up quite a bit. But at some point I'd like to see them handle this state to state. We are not New York City. They have more cases in one apartment building than we do in our entire state.

I'm not suggesting we pretend this thing isn't serious. We need precautions in this state just like ever other state. When they open things up I'm not saying it's 100% business as usual. I'm fine with them strategically opening establishments and schools. But I hope at some point in the coming weeks we go by our own set of rules, and not the same rules major cities are going to have to follow.

This is unfortunate:

"Coronavirus Threat Forces Longer Waits for Some Organ-Transplant Patients

Although transplants are considered an essential medical procedure, doctors are having to make case-by-case decisions on postponements"

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
NY Times Editorial:

I agree PR. The facts are the facts. I'm not pretending that Montana is immune to this and I think we'll see cases go up quite a bit. But at some point I'd like to see them handle this state to state. We are not New York City. They have more cases in one apartment building than we do in our entire state.

I'm not suggesting we pretend this thing isn't serious. We need precautions in this state just like ever other state. When they open things up I'm not saying it's 100% business as usual. I'm fine with them strategically opening establishments and schools. But I hope at some point in the coming weeks we go by our own set of rules, and not the same rules major cities are going to have to follow.

Totally agree. Willing to do our part, but one size doesn't fit all. The hysteria and some of media are a bit too much.

Coronavirus Is Advancing on Poor Nations, and the Prognosis Is Troubling

The pandemic is now taking off in vulnerable countries that join the battle with fewer weapons than developed nations

The new coronavirus is now taking off in the world’s poorest countries, which join the battle with even fewer weapons than developed nations, some of which have fumbled the pandemic’s early stages.

From Venezuela to Pakistan to the Democratic Republic of Congo—and nearly every developing country between—confirmed cases have started to spike in recent days, a sign the contagion is advancing exponentially, disease-control experts say."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-is-advancing-on-poor-nations-and-the-prognosis-is-troubling-11585149183?mod=hp_lead_pos10 paywall problem

With Cinemas Shut Down, Theater Chains at Risk of Default

IMF, World Bank Want Debt Relief for Poorer Countries

Pentagon to Tap Defense Companies for Medical Supplies

CVS Health Corp. said its Aetna unit will waive cost-sharing charges for people who are admitted to the hospital for treatment of Covid-19.

The big insurer’s move, which will apply in its employer plans, goes beyond a recently-passed law that forces insurers to cover coronavirus testing without out-of-pocket cost to members. That law included visits to a doctor or emergency room that result in a test, but it didn’t include treatment for those sick with Covid-19.

Hertz Offers Idled Rental Cars to Aid Health Workers’ Commutes

Retailers Cancel Orders From Asian Factories

Canadian Small-Business Confidence Hits Rock Bottom in March

U.S. Income Tax Delay to Strain State Budgets

Coronavirus Creates College Uncertainty, Admissions Gets Easier"

Source: Wall St Journal headliess/bylines

PlayerRep said:
mcg said:

The changes were fine and, in my view, not very significant. Trump and his family were never going to get loans. Congressional oversight will mainly just introduce politics and delay, but whatever. The unemployment wasn't enhanced much. Just includes more people like freelancers and gig economy workers.

Significant if you are a freelancer or gig economy worker, or their landlord.

mcg said:

Now tell the rest of this story "Supervisory board for loan recipients, enhanced unemployment for workers, no loans to to Trump. Way better."
Chuckie just explained this in detail , Any member of Congress or high ranking official and cabinet member who owns a business or is part of those businesses are ineligible for any type of aid .
Not just Trump , " Spinning it like concast I see "

Sounds like bank loan officers/underwriters will be responsible for approving the small business loans. Hopefully, the Feds don’t have too many restrictions and the banks take a positive approach to the process.

"$25 million is also conspicuously allocated for the House of Representatives' own operating expenses, including salaries, in Democrats' proposal."

AKA, Cluckie the Owl and Pelosi will give themselves raises, along with the yes men and yes women on their side. They will probably give Warren some money to offset the counseling she has to go through related to being a fake Indian.

mcg said:
PlayerRep said:
mcg said:

Significant if you are a freelancer or gig economy worker, or their landlord.

Everything in, or not in, the bill is significant to someone. It's not significant to the overall bill. Probably a good addition.

Trump and Treasury Secretary Mnuchin seemed fine or even pleased with the bipartisanship and with Schummer.

The Dems got in $25 million for the Kennedy Center in DC. Trump seemed okay with that. He reduced it from 35.

Cuervohola said:
"$25 million is also conspicuously allocated for the House of Representatives' own operating expenses, including salaries, in Democrats' proposal."

AKA, Cluckie the Owl and Pelosi will give themselves raises, along with the yes men and yes women on their side. They will probably give Warren some money to offset the counseling she has to go through related to being a fake Indian.

No member in Congress can give themselves a raise with these funds.

Spanky2 said:
Sounds like bank loan officers/underwriters will be responsible for approving the small business loans. Hopefully, the Feds don’t have too many restrictions and the banks take a positive approach to the process.

Mnuchin expects a simple process, with approval and disbursement in one day. Hopes to have it in place by next Friday, I think next week. Administered by any FCIC bank. Simple documentation.

Just watched the Trump, Mnuchin et al press conference.

Back