• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So Now What?

AZGrizFan said:
Every year we perform like crap....and we wonder why we can't get above a 15 seed? It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...the worse you play, the harder your next opponent becomes.

Just winning the BSC Tourney will get you a 16 seed, but hard to justify any higher seed, given the performances of the past two years.
If someone has contact with the players, players that will give an honest answer to the WHY question, I'd like to read what was said. There is no lack of posters who claim some inside information, like they're best buddies with all the players. Here's your golden opportunity to put up.
The best that could be said, loss wise, is that it wasn't like the Syracuse blowout

AZGrizFan said:
Silenoz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Silenoz said:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=300770167

And that was the last time. ancient history. Nobody outside of Montana fans remembers that.

It was only a couple appearances ago for us. That's just the reality for Big Sky basketball right now. Hoping to make the tournament and maybe not get blown out.

I realize that's the reality. The question is, WHY? We had three guys on the court last night who signed P-5 LOI's. Yet it looked like I was watching the Spurs vs an "Under 6-foot" league champion for most of the night...and it's been like that pretty much every year since the 2012 win.

Every year we perform like crap....and we wonder why we can't get above a 15 seed? It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...the worse you play, the harder your next opponent becomes.

Interesting comment the announcers said during the game last night...(i am paraphrasing). Announcers said: Michigan has 6 players that were top 50 recruits (all 5 starters and 1 off bench) that played in the game...Griz have one (Rorie)...There is your answer for why they can't hang with Michigan.

As for the 15 seed...You can't get swept by PSU, and lose to EWU and Northern Colorado...A lot of people on here are talking about how bad the Big Sky is, but if you want to be a 10-12 seed, you can't lose to anyone in the Big Sky. Griz lost those games to the "Terrible Big Sky".

AZGrizFan said:
Silenoz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Silenoz said:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=300770167

And that was the last time. ancient history. Nobody outside of Montana fans remembers that.

It was only a couple appearances ago for us. That's just the reality for Big Sky basketball right now. Hoping to make the tournament and maybe not get blown out.

I realize that's the reality. The question is, WHY? We had three guys on the court last night who signed P-5 LOI's. Yet it looked like I was watching the Spurs vs an "Under 6-foot" league champion for most of the night...and it's been like that pretty much every year since the 2012 win.

The same reason Gonzaga would usually lose right away. You play 20 games against lesser competition and then boom, Michigan. You just can't make that adjustment most of the time.

Not to say we are anything close to Gonzaga as a program. But then again, the Big Sky is hardly even the WCC

Tough to win in March when you have virtually no inside presence. Pridgett did his best but he just does not have the height or size to compete inside with most of these bigger, more athletic teams-same with Moorehead. So, if you can't score inside, you need to shoot lights out and when that doesn't happen, you are going to lose almost every time. Without Akoh the Griz still had enough to win the Big Sky but not nearly enough to compete at a high level in March.

AZGrizFan said:
Purdue is leading #14 ODU by just 9 with 3 minutes left. ANOTHER competitive game in the 13-15 seed range.

Just never Montana.

You mean like last year when it was a 3-point game at halftime? :roll:

Pepto Bismol said:
Stay the course, fellas.

That's obviously a product of playing in a low-major conference and then all of a sudden running up against a top national program. That's a steep hill to climb. Of Michigan's last 11 games leading up to the tournament, 9 were against tournament teams including 3 against arch-rival and Top-5'ish Michigan State. It's not surprising to see that level of disparity, ..

100% right. Decuire knows this and tries to schedule the best OOC he can. Unfortunately, even if the level of a Big Sky team is raised with the OOC schedule it will drop back down after playing in the Big Sky. I think that is why we get beat in the Big Sky. Our seniors (have played in it for several years) have a tougher time getting excited to play in our conference after having the challenge of playing much better OOC teams. They play down to the level of their competition out of boredom. They try to turn it on at the end of games to pull out a win but effort cant be turned on and off at will. High major conferences play a high level every game. Physically they may be better than us but mentally they are way better than us.

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Silenoz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Interesting comment the announcers said during the game last night...(i am paraphrasing). Announcers said: Michigan has 6 players that were top 50 recruits (all 5 starters and 1 off bench) that played in the game...Griz have one (Rorie)...There is your answer for why they can't hang with Michigan.

As for the 15 seed...You can't get swept by PSU, and lose to EWU and Northern Colorado...A lot of people on here are talking about how bad the Big Sky is, but if you want to be a 10-12 seed, you can't lose to anyone in the Big Sky. Griz lost those games to the "Terrible Big Sky".

I agree with SacCat.

It wasn't the Big Sky that kept us from winning one of those major OOC games this year. Or that deflected shots away from the basket last night. Like Gonzaga, we need to make our mark on the national stage, and until we do, we'll just have to try, try again.

As for the Big Sky, we made that bed years ago. We have to live with it.

New Mexico State ended their season 30-4, and got a 12 seed.

UC Irvine ended at 30-5 and got a 13 seed.

It seems like our best hope, even with a great season, is somewhere in the 12-13 seed range. So I'm not gonna get too worked up over the seed.

The goal is to WIN the tournament, not to just get a slightly better seed and hopefully win one game.

So we just keep plugging away...

I'm fine with that.

grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Purdue is leading #14 ODU by just 9 with 3 minutes left. ANOTHER competitive game in the 13-15 seed range.

Just never Montana.

Yes! Exactly like last year! That performance was why THIS year had so much promise....and instead, we get another stinker.

cmtgrizzly said:
Pepto Bismol said:
Stay the course, fellas.

That's obviously a product of playing in a low-major conference and then all of a sudden running up against a top national program. That's a steep hill to climb. Of Michigan's last 11 games leading up to the tournament, 9 were against tournament teams including 3 against arch-rival and Top-5'ish Michigan State. It's not surprising to see that level of disparity, ..

100% right. Decuire knows this and tries to schedule the best OOC he can. Unfortunately, even if the level of a Big Sky team is raised with the OOC schedule it will drop back down after playing in the Big Sky. I think that is why we get beat in the Big Sky. Our seniors (have played in it for several years) have a tougher time getting excited to play in our conference after having the challenge of playing much better OOC teams. They play down to the level of their competition out of boredom. They try to turn it on at the end of games to pull out a win but effort cant be turned on and off at will. High major conferences play a high level every game. Physically they may be better than us but mentally they are way better than us.

This is all a bunch of HOOEY!!

Walkon79 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Pepto Bismol said:
Stay the course, fellas.

So you think playing in the Big Sky is appropriate preparation for the NCAA tourney?

This senior class was severely over rated oh my goodness. You all are acting as if we just lost Jordan and Kobe. Ahmaad and Mike were both very good, Moorehead was average, and Akoh was injured. How in the hell is that the greatest senior class in Griz history? A senior class of Owens, Vazquez, Egun, and Carter Hollinger will most likely blow this class out of the water. The program is headed up, not down. Also see no way DeCuire leaves this offseason.

Assuming Travis leaves for a big paycheck soon what are the chances of Blaine Taylor coming back? Would he be acceptable for another run.

bobaloo said:
Assuming Travis leaves for a big paycheck soon what are the chances of Blaine Taylor coming back? Would he be acceptable for another run.

I don't think that is a path UM would travel down.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Just never Montana.

Yes! Exactly like last year! That performance was why THIS year had so much promise....and instead, we get another stinker.

Just curious why you label yourself as a Griz "Fan"? You never offer anything positive, just continual slams to the Griz basketball and football programs.

cmtgrizzly said:
Walkon79 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Pepto Bismol said:
Stay the course, fellas.

So you think playing in the Big Sky is appropriate preparation for the NCAA tourney?

Sounds like you are describing a bigger issue with the players than the competition.

maroonandsilver said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Just never Montana.

Just curious why you label yourself as a Griz "Fan"? You never offer anything positive, just continual slams to the Griz basketball and football programs.

Yeah, you’re right.

You should probably read more. :roll:

citay said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Silenoz said:

I agree with SacCat.

It wasn't the Big Sky that kept us from winning one of those major OOC games this year. Or that deflected shots away from the basket last night. Like Gonzaga, we need to make our mark on the national stage, and until we do, we'll just have to try, try again.

No, we don’t have to live with it!

Spanky2 said:
citay said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I agree with SacCat.

No, we don’t have to live with it!

Are you starting a change.org petition?

Latest posts

Back