• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should R Hauck be benched?

grizaremoregooder said:
Kadeezy said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Kadeezy said:
I hope not - watched a little bit, Guy is a good runstopper, but the SAC WRs gotta want to see him out there.
Your quarterback will be running for his life or laying on his back staring up at #42 or #33 for most of the game.

That’s why they play the game - SAC has only beaten UM one time, never in Missoula. However, this year could be different with this yead’s Very talented squad.
This is the copper and gold Dave Dickinson game you don't have a chance in hell my friend.

Awesome must be the fix for oline is having DD here and different colors 🙄

9lecsk.png

Showing 2 deep safeties, gonna bring 5 on pressure

53v5mp.png

brought 5 and 2 safeties are drifting back. corners are playing zone, LBs are dropping looking for crossing route. Calhoun sees the leak from the backfield and comes down. Notice RH keys on the seam route down the center...as does the other safety. WR starts to run his corner route that leads to the TD.

9gfyfb.png

At this point the the play is past RH, you can see him turning and running back to the corner to try and catch the WR out of the picture. Blown coverage over the top but it happens. Made a mistake. That being said our safeties have been good this year so far.

Interesting. Thanks for doing this. Where is 4th receiver? Is he the short receiver in the defensive right flat, but out of frame? I assume ball must already been in the air in the last frame.

This was a terrific pattern against our particular D, plus the safety let a receiver get behind him, a huge no-no in a 2 or 3 deep zone.

Note that the receiver on the 38 near Calhoun is also open. Hauck's position is pretty good in frame 2. He should be seeing multiple receivers coming to/through his zone and have the discipline to get depth and not let the deepest receiver get past him. To heck with the shorter receivers. Get depth.

I don't know what Calhoun's assignment is, i.e. is he really supposed to cover the swing receiver when he has an inside receiver releasing past him? I doubt it. I think he needs to have turned inside by then to get depth and be at the 36 going downfield by then. He should be thinking that the swing receiver will get covered by the right backer (who seems too far inside to me) or know that he and the team will just have to come up later and get the swing receiver after he has gained 15.

The safety is in bad shape in frame 3, because the receiver is a bit beyond him and now he has to completely turn his back and run (and can't see anything except the receiver beyond him). Note the better position by the other receiver who is still beyond his receiver even tho he is turning to run.

Had Calhoun turned earlier to follow the receiver that he released to his inside, by frame 3, Calhoun would be 2 steps downfield from where he is and in better position to catch/cover that open receiver.

Again, this was a very good pattern against this D. There were 4 receivers on one side, or coming to one side, catching the attention of the 2 d-backs on that side, with one tending to hold the corner shallow. If I am seeing this right, one safety has 3 receivers coming or crossing through his zone.

I am not one to criticize if I don't know the coverage and what the exact responsibilities are, so this is not meant as criticism. But it's my 2 cents. Both secondary players on this (bottom) side of the field should be 2 steps deeper at this point in frame 3. A good pass may still connect to either of these receivers even if our guys are a bit deeper.

Please chime in if I have missed something or goofed it up. Remember that I didn't see the play in realtime. Only these 3 slides.

I'm not going to copy the whole thing but just wanted to congratulate PR on a very informative football post. thanks

I haven’t read this whole thread so forgive me if this was already addressed, but is Reid Miller hurt? Did I dream that? And if he is out, who should start over RH?

garizzalies said:
I haven’t read this whole thread so forgive me if this was already addressed, but is Reid Miller hurt? Did I dream that? And if he is out, who should start over RH?

No, Miller isn't hurt. He's played the second-most snaps of any safety, even though he's not an official "starter"

George Ferguson said:
garizzalies said:

No, Miller isn't hurt. He's played the second-most snaps of any safety, even though he's not an official "starter"

He has a lot of tackles too. They must be playing the safeties at different safeties positions and rotating them.

PlayerRep said:
George Ferguson said:
garizzalies said:

He has a lot of tackles too. They must be playing the safeties at different safeties positions and rotating them.

Yup, the move the safeties around a ton. In this week's presser Miller called the Griz' defense "organized chaos" and said it's the most fun scheme he's ever played in.

George Ferguson said:
PlayerRep said:
George Ferguson said:
garizzalies said:

Yup, the move the safeties around a ton. In this week's presser Miller called the Griz' defense "organized chaos" and said it's the most fun scheme he's ever played in.

No wonder I can't figure out why they are doing. Thx.

George Ferguson said:
PlayerRep said:
George Ferguson said:
garizzalies said:

That’s awesome. Thanks.
Will be really fun when they all get it down pat

I agree that the analysis of the play is spot on. Exactly. I suppose, as WIU's OC saw our defense on film react to virtually identical plays run by our first two home game opponents, whose QB's missed the wide open receivers. I'd like to think our DC could and will get these things corrected before the next team exploits what film shows are repetitive (and thus predictable) assignment breakdowns.

PlayerRep said:
Interesting. Thanks for doing this. Where is 4th receiver? Is he the short receiver in the defensive right flat, but out of frame? I assume ball must already been in the air in the last frame.

This was a terrific pattern against our particular D, plus the safety let a receiver get behind him, a huge no-no in a 2 or 3 deep zone.

Note that the receiver on the 38 near Calhoun is also open. Hauck's position is pretty good in frame 2. He should be seeing multiple receivers coming to/through his zone and have the discipline to get depth and not let the deepest receiver get past him. To heck with the shorter receivers. Get depth.

I don't know what Calhoun's assignment is, i.e. is he really supposed to cover the swing receiver when he has an inside receiver releasing past him? I doubt it. I think he needs to have turned inside by then to get depth and be at the 36 going downfield by then. He should be thinking that the swing receiver will get covered by the right backer (who seems too far inside to me) or know that he and the team will just have to come up later and get the swing receiver after he has gained 15.

The safety is in bad shape in frame 3, because the receiver is a bit beyond him and now he has to completely turn his back and run (and can't see anything except the receiver beyond him). Note the better position by the other receiver who is still beyond his receiver even tho he is turning to run.

Had Calhoun turned earlier to follow the receiver that he released to his inside, by frame 3, Calhoun would be 2 steps downfield from where he is and in better position to catch/cover that open receiver.

Again, this was a very good pattern against this D. There were 4 receivers on one side, or coming to one side, catching the attention of the 2 d-backs on that side, with one tending to hold the corner shallow. If I am seeing this right, one safety has 3 receivers coming or crossing through his zone.

I am not one to criticize if I don't know the coverage and what the exact responsibilities are, so this is not meant as criticism. But it's my 2 cents. Both secondary players on this (bottom) side of the field should be 2 steps deeper at this point in frame 3. A good pass may still connect to either of these receivers even if our guys are a bit deeper.

Please chime in if I have missed something or goofed it up. Remember that I didn't see the play in realtime. Only these 3 slides.

So it looks like an under zone for the most part. In the last frame the crossing WR looks open because the ball is already well in flight there.(notice 3 seconds of time difference) RH is reacting late on that one. RH just purely targeted the seam route and didn't see the corner route being run on his side...either that or missed the play call and thought he had CB help on the corner route. Most the time if a WR is on the inside of you when you play cover 2, you let him leak to the safety. As he will have a better angle on the play anyway. When watching the play you can see calhoun see the leak on the swing and that is his zone. that is his man. during the second picture. RH should be identifying that he as a responsibility on the outside but you can see him looking in the backfield and backing straight up, while his WR is already cornering out. ***Notice we have decent DL penetration on this play. The WR coming across the play should be undercut by the LBs and taking him out of the play unless he gets all the way to the far side...which is a long route to hold. The LBs also can see nobody under them and should be drifting back...which you are seeing one of them do in the second picture. The safety with nobody to their outside should take the inside seam route. I believe that is Sandry in this picture and he does cover that seam route. We ended up with double coverage on the seam and nobody on the corner. It looks like it was just a mistake by RH. didn't want to miss anything deep down the middle. ended up missing a corner route. Notice in picture one where RH lines up...Then he follows the seam route and goes the other way. Almost like he thought they were in man when they were not. Tough to know but that's my simple minded take.

mtgrizfankb said:
PlayerRep said:

So it looks like an under zone for the most part. In the last frame the crossing WR looks open because the ball is already well in flight there.(notice 3 seconds of time difference) RH is reacting late on that one. [Agreed] RH just purely targeted the seam route and didn't see the corner route being run on his side [Are there just 2 very deep receivers at the end of the play, i.e. frame 3?]...either that or missed the play call and thought he had CB help on the corner route. Most the time if a WR is on the inside of you when you play cover 2 [when who plays cover 2, the corner or the safety?] , you let him leak to the safety [Yes, the corner would let release the first receiver to the safety.] . As he will have a better angle on the play anyway. When watching the play you can see calhoun see the leak on the swing and that is his zone [I doubt that it's true that it's his zone. With 2 outside receivers releasing past him, I don't think it would be his job to cover the swing pass. I think that's got to be covered by a backer, or left open.] that is his man. [In zone, he doesn't have a man; he has a zone.] during the second picture. RH should be identifying that he as a responsibility on the outside but you can see him looking in the backfield and backing straight up [In zone, the safety is supposed to look forward to the backfield and survey the field, while feeling the receiver or receivers coming deep into this zone, which in cover 2 is half of the field; he isn't supposed to let the deepest one get by him, tho.], while his WR is already cornering out. ***Notice we have decent DL penetration on this play. The WR coming across the play should be undercut by the LBs and taking him out of the play [Hard to do if he is deeper than the backers, and that's what the receiver would be trying to do, i.e. going just deeper than the backers.] unless he gets all the way to the far side...which is a long route to hold. The LBs also can see nobody under them and should be drifting back [Agreed.] ...which you are seeing one of them do in the second picture. The safety with nobody to their outside should take the inside seam route. [Agreed.] I believe that is Sandry in this picture and he does cover that seam route. We ended up with double coverage on the seam and nobody on the corner. [I can't see where that receiver is, and didn't see the play life.] It looks like it was just a mistake by RH. didn't want to miss anything deep down the middle. ended up missing a corner route. [Probably true; went back to keep deeper than the deepest receiver in his zone, and didn't notice the 2d deepest receiver coming across. I'd like to see some more frames. The one between frames 2 and 3, and one with where the receiver beyond the safety is and what direction he is heading.] Notice in picture one where RH lines up...Then he follows the seam route and goes the other way. Almost like he thought they were in man when they were not. [I doubt that he thought that. My guess is that he just wasn't in touch with and feeling the slightly shorter receiver, and then it was too late.] Tough to know but that's my simple minded take.

I embedded my comments in the above post, in brackets. Too dumb to change the color.

I assume our right outside lb, or whatever he is, is the 5th person who blitzed. Correct? Assuming this is correct, and I assume Calhoun would know or feel this, and with 2 wideouts on this side, I, as the right corner, would have given more ground to follow the outside most receiver if he continued downfield, as opposed to crossing the field. I would not have focused on the later receiver releasing out of the backfield to me side. I would have know my sole safety on my side was probably going to be in trouble and tried to deepen and catch the play.

Assuming the defender in right backer spot blitzed, then the swing receiver to that side is just going to be open. The middle backer can't get to him. Never can, or should, the corner, is my guess.

2 safeties in a 2-deep zone, can't cover 3 deep receivers, if the qb has enough time to throw. The corners need to help, and they will probably be slightly late to the party even if they react quickly. Another key missing thing is that the pressure didn't get to the qb quite quite quickly enough.

Again, nice play by WI.

PlayerRep said:
mtgrizfankb said:
PlayerRep said:

So it looks like an under zone for the most part. In the last frame the crossing WR looks open because the ball is already well in flight there.(notice 3 seconds of time difference) RH is reacting late on that one. [Agreed] RH just purely targeted the seam route and didn't see the corner route being run on his side [Are there just 2 very deep receivers at the end of the play, i.e. frame 3?]...either that or missed the play call and thought he had CB help on the corner route. Most the time if a WR is on the inside of you when you play cover 2 [when who plays cover 2, the corner or the safety?] , you let him leak to the safety [Yes, the corner would let release the first receiver to the safety.] . As he will have a better angle on the play anyway. When watching the play you can see calhoun see the leak on the swing and that is his zone [I doubt that it's true that it's his zone. With 2 outside receivers releasing past him, I don't think it would be his job to cover the swing pass. I think that's got to be covered by a backer, or left open.] that is his man. [In zone, he doesn't have a man; he has a zone.] during the second picture. RH should be identifying that he as a responsibility on the outside but you can see him looking in the backfield and backing straight up [In zone, the safety is supposed to look forward to the backfield and survey the field, while feeling the receiver or receivers coming deep into this zone, which in cover 2 is half of the field; he isn't supposed to let the deepest one get by him, tho.], while his WR is already cornering out. ***Notice we have decent DL penetration on this play. The WR coming across the play should be undercut by the LBs and taking him out of the play [Hard to do if he is deeper than the backers, and that's what the receiver would be trying to do, i.e. going just deeper than the backers.] unless he gets all the way to the far side...which is a long route to hold. The LBs also can see nobody under them and should be drifting back [Agreed.] ...which you are seeing one of them do in the second picture. The safety with nobody to their outside should take the inside seam route. [Agreed.] I believe that is Sandry in this picture and he does cover that seam route. We ended up with double coverage on the seam and nobody on the corner. [I can't see where that receiver is, and didn't see the play life.] It looks like it was just a mistake by RH. didn't want to miss anything deep down the middle. ended up missing a corner route. [Probably true; went back to keep deeper than the deepest receiver in his zone, and didn't notice the 2d deepest receiver coming across. I'd like to see some more frames. The one between frames 2 and 3, and one with where the receiver beyond the safety is and what direction he is heading.] Notice in picture one where RH lines up...Then he follows the seam route and goes the other way. Almost like he thought they were in man when they were not. [I doubt that he thought that. My guess is that he just wasn't in touch with and feeling the slightly shorter receiver, and then it was too late.] Tough to know but that's my simple minded take.

I embedded my comments in the above post, in brackets. Too dumb to change the color.

I assume our right outside lb, or whatever he is, is the 5th person who blitzed. Correct? Assuming this is correct, and I assume Calhoun would know or feel this, and with 2 wideouts on this side, I, as the right corner, would have given more ground to follow the outside most receiver if he continued downfield, as opposed to crossing the field. I would not have focused on the later receiver releasing out of the backfield to me side. I would have know my sole safety on my side was probably going to be in trouble and tried to deepen and catch the play.

Assuming the defender in right backer spot blitzed, then the swing receiver to that side is just going to be open. The middle backer can't get to him. Never can, or should, the corner, is my guess.

2 safeties in a 2-deep zone, can't cover 3 deep receivers, if the qb has enough time to throw. The corners need to help, and they will probably be slightly late to the party even if they react quickly. Another key missing thing is that the pressure didn't get to the qb quite quite quickly enough.

Again, nice play by WI.

It was obviously something WIU saw on film vs us and took advantage. Good execution on their end

mtgrizfankb said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizfankb said:
PlayerRep said:

Again, nice play by WI.

It was obviously something WIU saw on film vs us and took advantage. Good execution on their end

And as hard as that is to handle for some....the other team scouts and coaches too so they are going to win some plays and it isn't always the defensive players' and coaches' fault.

He's a freshman. He'll learn from his mistakes. We played Hermanson for 4 years (it seems) and he never impressed me or got better. He'd get a cpl INT's on terrible over-throws and got credit for 100+ tackles 3 straight yrs, so most ppl thought he was good, but he was terrible,IMO. Any starting safety is gonna rack up tackle numbers by default (especially now that 2 tacklers are credited on almost every play), but how many yards after the tackle do they allow? Robbie will never be as good as his uncle (who is?), but he shows promise and I can forgive a positional mistake from a frosh. I've yet to see anyone run him over like happened to Hermanson a cpl times every game.

Zirg said:
He's a freshman. He'll learn from his mistakes. We played Hermanson for 4 years (it seems) and he never impressed me or got better. He'd get a cpl INT's on terrible over-throws and got credit for 100+ tackles 3 straight yrs, so most ppl thought he was good, but he was terrible,IMO. Any starting safety is gonna rack up tackle numbers by default (especially now that 2 tacklers are credited on almost every play), but how many yards after the tackle do they allow? Robbie will never be as good as his uncle (who is?), but he shows promise and I can forgive a positional mistake from a frosh. I've yet to see anyone run him over like happened to Hermanson a cpl times every game.

When two tacklers are credited, they're each only credited with 1/2 a tackle....they're not inflating tackle numbers.

AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:

When two tacklers are credited, they're each only credited with 1/2 a tackle....they're not inflating tackle numbers.

Not correct. Yes, for sacks and TFL's, but not for tackles. Assisted tackles get 1 full credit. Last game, Olson had 5 solo and 6 assisted, for 11 tackles.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:

Not correct. Yes, for sacks and TFL's, but not for tackles. Assisted tackles get 1 full credit. Last game, Olson had 5 solo and 6 assisted, for 11 tackles.
any guess on why they do it that way? i mean treating sacks and even tackles for a loss basically "less" than other tackles?

Back