• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Season Recap and Looking Forward

I was just going to post that I hope it's new turf (even though I think it plays slower) because dirt in our spring climate could present issues. Thanks for the info. 🤙
Idaho State is also planning an all-turf field, when they raise the money to do it. They seem to have more weather cancellations than anybody.

Pocatello weather is strange. All the years I was in southern Idaho, we'd get more rainouts/snowouts in Poky in April than we would when we had to go to IF/Blackfoot/Madison. They seemed to get hit with a lot more of the weather that northern Utah would get than their neighbors to the north.

As for the turf in Missoula, this was probably much needed. This will allow them to smooth the subsurface out again. One of the knocks with sport turf, especially on the mound and around the bases, is that you struggle to repair the ruts that develop when the ground is soft. When they replaced my HS's turf last year on our BB field second and home were developing some rather deep ridges/ripples in the dirt. I imagine that the sub surface was vastly better prepared than ours. lol.

I had heard that it took some getting used to pitching on the rug and at least initially there were conversations on how to improve durability and feel of the turf on the mound. I don't know if there are plans to make adjustments to mound this go around. Just something I heard.

Pocatello weather is strange. All the years I was in southern Idaho, we'd get more rainouts/snowouts in Poky in April than we would when we had to go to IF/Blackfoot/Madison. They seemed to get hit with a lot more of the weather that northern Utah would get than their neighbors to the north.

As for the turf in Missoula, this was probably much needed. This will allow them to smooth the subsurface out again. One of the knocks with sport turf, especially on the mound and around the bases, is that you struggle to repair the ruts that develop when the ground is soft. When they replaced my HS's turf last year on our BB field second and home were developing some rather deep ridges/ripples in the dirt. I imagine that the sub surface was vastly better prepared than ours. lol.

I had heard that it took some getting used to pitching on the rug and at least initially there were conversations on how to improve durability and feel of the turf on the mound. I don't know if there are plans to make adjustments to mound this go around. Just something I heard.
First, it’s not a mound. It’s a circle. 😉
Second, I can tell you on secondhand info that it is indeed different when the pitchers can’t drag the trail foot like they can on dirt. IMO, a really good field would be all turf with a dirt circle and dirt around home.

First, it’s not a mound. It’s a circle. 😉
Second, I can tell you on secondhand info that it is indeed different when the pitchers can’t drag the trail foot like they can on dirt. IMO, a really good field would be all turf with a dirt circle and dirt around home.
For as many times I edited my post before hitting reply yesterday I made the point of not using mound and corrected it like seven different times. Yet in the end I still managed in my crafting of the message, still managed to not correct it. As my college history professor told me, you know you have great ideas but you write like a sixth grader.

They certainly could opt for a circle cutout, but it was maintenance and game play concerns that sorta forced them to go full turf the last time. I know that sport turf and dirt/mud don't go well together and maintenance is a pain in that regard but you'd think a college athletics program could figure that out.

I sort of assume that the NCAA is going to have to eventually issue a clarification on its newly adopted leap rule, about what replant actually looks like, and I could see turf circles being a nightmare to legislate that back foot. I got the sense that coaches and hitters were frustrated a bit with how basically it was open season for re plant for those pitchers who could execute it. More and more younger girls are being taught it and the power pitching/kinetic theory is really blurring the lines between replant and secondarily arm swing/hip shoulder alignment when that foot hits the ground. Makes for great pitching (more power and movement) but I'd hate to be an umpire or a hitter.

For as many times I edited my post before hitting reply yesterday I made the point of not using mound and corrected it like seven different times. Yet in the end I still managed in my crafting of the message, still managed to not correct it. As my college history professor told me, you know you have great ideas but you write like a sixth grader.

They certainly could opt for a circle cutout, but it was maintenance and game play concerns that sorta forced them to go full turf the last time. I know that sport turf and dirt/mud don't go well together and maintenance is a pain in that regard but you'd think a college athletics program could figure that out.

I sort of assume that the NCAA is going to have to eventually issue a clarification on its newly adopted leap rule, about what replant actually looks like, and I could see turf circles being a nightmare to legislate that back foot. I got the sense that coaches and hitters were frustrated a bit with how basically it was open season for re plant for those pitchers who could execute it. More and more younger girls are being taught it and the power pitching/kinetic theory is really blurring the lines between replant and secondarily arm swing/hip shoulder alignment when that foot hits the ground. Makes for great pitching (more power and movement) but I'd hate to be an umpire or a hitter.

Just giving you crap on the mound/circle part. Probably projection because I get it every time I say "mound" to my daughter. "It's a circle, bruh! Skibidi toilet rizzler."

I'm not sure what pitching coaches would teach the leap. My understanding is that it was legalized because it was determined to not really give any discernable advantage. I thought that was what USA Softball said, but I could be misremembering.

Just giving you crap on the mound/circle part. Probably projection because I get it every time I say "mound" to my daughter. "It's a circle, bruh! Skibidi toilet rizzler."

I'm not sure what pitching coaches would teach the leap. My understanding is that it was legalized because it was determined to not really give any discernable advantage. I thought that was what USA Softball said, but I could be misremembering.
that’s sigma brah.

Back