• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Safety positioning

PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
You're going to dislocate your shoulder if you pat your own back any harder.

Just defending the Ivies and the game.

I'm enjoying watching 223 run you around in circles and kick you in the butt.

You're adorable. Your lack of reading comprehension isn't.

You got nothing. Want to try to tell both 223 and me how secondary plays works?

You weren't even a part of the civil discussion until you butted in to tell us about the time you were simultaneously the starting QB, WR, CB and head coach for Harvard while filling in as the AD of Yale too.

Why would I bother explaining anything to you when you've clearly been playing 4d chess while I'm struggling with checkers?

Wish we could end this and move on. Did the safeties, including Hauck cheat up? Yes because Petrino couldn't really throw an accurate pass over 15/20 yards. Not an FCS quality QB although pretty good escaping the rush. I bet you are going to see more of that in the next two games although the Griz may be a little bit more careful with Weber because they are actually a well coached team. I was in row 3/45 yd line west side so right in the Idaho sideline. I couldn't believe how poorly conditioned they looked and what a chippy attitude they had. Hauck's winter conditioning is really paying off. I know there are knowledgeable people (yes including PR) who have a much better grasp of defensive coverage than me but cheating up when the odds of getting beat over the top is small seems to be reasonable strategy to me.

grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
Lol. To me, it depends on the coverage. I kind of like quarters if you have corners that can win 1 on 1s and in that case the safety would have tight end drags in 2x2 sets. If you're in some type of 3 I don't have a problem with a post player jumping it, but that's a gameplan thing because if your getting a post over the top you have to handle it with your underneath droppers. If you're in man free at times an LB is going to have to match up with a TE which is fine if he knows he has a post player and the play caller knows he might get beat on it at times, but then again do they target that guy alot? What down and distances do they target him? How good is he? How good is your LB? Just a few things that go into it.

See, NOW you’re just showin’ off!!!!

Like f***[*] Greek. :lol: :lol:

All I know is this: If I see another WR running free 10 yards behind the furthest back DB I’m going to throw the remote through the TV. Not sure where that fits in with the 2x2’s, the 3’s, the 1’s, the droppers, the drags, etc., etc....howsabout we just keep guys in front of us consistently? :oops: :oops:

Let’s do in the FIRST quarter what we seem to be able to consistently do in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters....games would be a lot less stressful on us old, fat, out of shape never-played-or-coached-the-gam’ers.....

Haha. I get that it can be frustrating when guys are open and TDs are scored. My main point is there are reasons for those things that we as fans have no chance at recognizing.

My THEORY for a lot of these things is that Bobby wants us to challenge dudes to beat us over the top, which they have, and points have been scored because of it. However, when we are over aggressive late in games and get picks and fumbles and knock the shit out of everyone in the run game, no one blames this thought process then!

This makes sense and explains the difference between the first halves and the second halves...the PSU and Idaho QB's could probably confirm that it isn't a lot of fun to play against our defense in the second half. So what makes the scheme so much more effective in the second half? Our depth? Second half adjustments? Changing up the scheme? It seems they aren't beating us over the top in the second half because the QB's are running for their lives. Are they just turning the dogs loose? Really interested in your thoughts.

Again I'm just a fan, I don't spend the 80+ hours in the office watching film and watching the guys at practice. So truly my thoughts have as much weight as anyones. I would say there could be a myriad of reasons. I think the teams we play are going to give us the kitchen sink. Who wouldn't be reared up to play the Griz? So I think part of it is teams play their best football for as long as they can endure against us. I've coached on teams that I thought my players had to feel teams out, kind of understand where teams are going to attack us, then dial in and get them figured out. Drove me crazy. I think part of it could be the emphasis Coach Hauck probably put on finishing this offseason, after the lack thereof last season. Finish stronger than you started type deal.

And like I stated earlier, I think Coach Hauck has the mentality that he wants to take a teams best shot and shove it up their ass. I think we play tight and play aggressive and don't flinch when we give up 3 long TDs in the first half, because on those 3 long balls maybe the QB gets whacked, or maybe we begin to wear on the OL or maybe we wack a WR, so the next time they take their shot they remember that and it's not quite crisp enough to complete those balls.

A lot of OCs (myself included) believe that if they can consistently run the ball, the 3-4 yard games will turn into 7-8 yard gains in the second half. I think it could be possible that the defensive staff believes the same thing from a defensive standpoint. "You might get us early on, but we will break your will at some point."

Then, there could be the personnel factor. Maybe a safety/corner got beat on a play and the other team executed. Maybe there wasn't a good enough pass rush. Maybe the DC had a bad call. All those things happen over the course of a season. Again though, disclaimer, I don't study the tape. Coaches and players do.

FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Just defending the Ivies and the game.

I'm enjoying watching 223 run you around in circles and kick you in the butt.

You're adorable. Your lack of reading comprehension isn't.

You got nothing. Want to try to tell both 223 and me how secondary plays works?

You weren't even a part of the civil discussion until you butted in to tell us about the time you were simultaneously the starting QB, WR, CB and head coach for Harvard while filling in as the AD of Yale too.

Why would I bother explaining anything to you when you've clearly been playing 4d chess while I'm struggling with checkers?

Actually, I started posting early on page 2 and made a few posts. Then, I merely responded, quite civilly, to a reference to my having attended a two-bit Ivy game. Perfectly fine response by me on egriz.

Feel free to point out anything of value you have provided in this thread. I don’t recall anything from you, other than you being a jerk. Assume you have nothing except a big mouth.

Let’s see you post something of substance or value.

Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:
See, NOW you’re just showin’ off!!!!

Like f***[*] Greek. :lol: :lol:

All I know is this: If I see another WR running free 10 yards behind the furthest back DB I’m going to throw the remote through the TV. Not sure where that fits in with the 2x2’s, the 3’s, the 1’s, the droppers, the drags, etc., etc....howsabout we just keep guys in front of us consistently? :oops: :oops:

Let’s do in the FIRST quarter what we seem to be able to consistently do in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters....games would be a lot less stressful on us old, fat, out of shape never-played-or-coached-the-gam’ers.....

Haha. I get that it can be frustrating when guys are open and TDs are scored. My main point is there are reasons for those things that we as fans have no chance at recognizing.

My THEORY for a lot of these things is that Bobby wants us to challenge dudes to beat us over the top, which they have, and points have been scored because of it. However, when we are over aggressive late in games and get picks and fumbles and knock the shit out of everyone in the run game, no one blames this thought process then!

This makes sense and explains the difference between the first halves and the second halves...the PSU and Idaho QB's could probably confirm that it isn't a lot of fun to play against our defense in the second half. So what makes the scheme so much more effective in the second half? Our depth? Second half adjustments? Changing up the scheme? It seems they aren't beating us over the top in the second half because the QB's are running for their lives. Are they just turning the dogs loose? Really interested in your thoughts.

Again I'm just a fan, I don't spend the 80+ hours in the office watching film and watching the guys at practice. So truly my thoughts have as much weight as anyones. I would say there could be a myriad of reasons. I think the teams we play are going to give us the kitchen sink. Who wouldn't be reared up to play the Griz? So I think part of it is teams play their best football for as long as they can endure against us. I've coached on teams that I thought my players had to feel teams out, kind of understand where teams are going to attack us, then dial in and get them figured out. Drove me crazy. I think part of it could be the emphasis Coach Hauck probably put on finishing this offseason, after the lack thereof last season. Finish stronger than you started type deal.

And like I stated earlier, I think Coach Hauck has the mentality that he wants to take a teams best shot and shove it up their ass. I think we play tight and play aggressive and don't flinch when we give up 3 long TDs in the first half, because on those 3 long balls maybe the QB gets whacked, or maybe we begin to wear on the OL or maybe we wack a WR, so the next time they take their shot they remember that and it's not quite crisp enough to complete those balls.

A lot of OCs (myself included) believe that if they can consistently run the ball, the 3-4 yard games will turn into 7-8 yard gains in the second half. I think it could be possible that the defensive staff believes the same thing from a defensive standpoint. "You might get us early on, but we will break your will at some point."

Then, there could be the personnel factor. Maybe a safety/corner got beat on a play and the other team executed. Maybe there wasn't a good enough pass rush. Maybe the DC had a bad call. All those things happen over the course of a season. Again though, disclaimer, I don't study the tape. Coaches and players do.

Great post and I think that’s a lot closer to the truth and game plan than you’re giving yourself credit for. Let’s hope it doesn’t bite us in the ass on Saturday.

AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:

Great post and I think that’s a lot closer to the truth and game plan than you’re giving yourself credit for. Let’s hope it doesn’t bite us in the ass on Saturday.

Agreed. Because if I’m right, it might!

Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:

Agreed. Because if I’m right, it might!

:? :? Yep.....

AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:

Ditto, great post.

OC's study film. OC's notice tendencies of schemes called in down and distance, and in response to offensive sets. When they notice a defender's initial reaction is to the line of scrimmage, they call a play to beat that and the QB's key at the snap is that player. If he responds as film shows that is where the ball is going.

If that players is doing as he is coached that is simply a good OC finding something in the defense to exploit. If the player is freelancing the DC or HC will yank the player. If the player got fooled (blown coverage) that will be addressed in film study and practice.

If it happens game after game that is something the DC better figure out how to disguise or eliminate if it leads to losses.

Good OC's like at Sac State know where they would likely get the exploitable coverages (one on one, lb on tight end, safety on receiver) and in that game their receivers won most of the contested catches. That happens with good QB's and good receivers. Like we have at UM. Sometimes the other team just makes more plays.

My observation from the north endzone in the Idaho game, when Hauck played back off the slot receiver the 8 yard hook was wide open. That may be what his later positioning was taking away.

Back