• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Safety positioning

Griz#64 said:
223, Do you try to cover the tight end on a drag pattern with a LB'er. or Free. The old Bootleg Waggle. I see lots of drag patterns running wide open > When we ran the old 27 D, (4-3). we had Mike to help out, sam just couldn't keep up. . I think now the Drag pattern has kinda evolved into a post. Thus Beating hell out of Free..

Lol. To me, it depends on the coverage. I kind of like quarters if you have corners that can win 1 on 1s and in that case the safety would have tight end drags in 2x2 sets. If you're in some type of 3 I don't have a problem with a post player jumping it, but that's a gameplan thing because if your getting a post over the top you have to handle it with your underneath droppers. If you're in man free at times an LB is going to have to match up with a TE which is fine if he knows he has a post player and the play caller knows he might get beat on it at times, but then again do they target that guy alot? What down and distances do they target him? How good is he? How good is your LB? Just a few things that go into it.

Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:
223, Do you try to cover the tight end on a drag pattern with a LB'er. or Free. The old Bootleg Waggle. I see lots of drag patterns running wide open > When we ran the old 27 D, (4-3). we had Mike to help out, sam just couldn't keep up. . I think now the Drag pattern has kinda evolved into a post. Thus Beating hell out of Free..

Lol. To me, it depends on the coverage. I kind of like quarters if you have corners that can win 1 on 1s and in that case the safety would have tight end drags in 2x2 sets. If you're in some type of 3 I don't have a problem with a post player jumping it, but that's a gameplan thing because if your getting a post over the top you have to handle it with your underneath droppers. If you're in man free at times an LB is going to have to match up with a TE which is fine if he knows he has a post player and the play caller knows he might get beat on it at times, but then again do they target that guy alot? What down and distances do they target him? How good is he? How good is your LB? Just a few things that go into it.

I agree completely. LOL. Actually, I pretty much don't know what you're talking about, and I once played the game. All I know is that if a big TE catches the ball dragging across the middle toward you, and you are a secondary player, better to tackle him low. Otherwise, it will hurt too much. He's going across the field anyway, so tackling low doesn't give up extra yardage.

223 and Fire have a good debate going, good thread, I just take it as feisty yet friendly banter both ways! Giving up 17 points to Idaho is a win, but play will continue to improve! Hauck will be creeping up a lot on Saturday, make them beat you with the pass!

PlayerRep said:
Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

I agree completely. LOL. Actually, I pretty much don't know what you're talking about, and I once played the game. All I know is that if a big TE catches the ball dragging across the middle toward you, and you are a secondary player, better to tackle him low. Otherwise, it will hurt too much. He's going across the field anyway, so tackling low doesn't give up extra yardage.

Lol. I don't disagree one bit.

Best play man Free.you must have over the top coverage. I can visualize the safety jumping the drag, and a slot running a deep post. Not sure if Sac State didn't burn us.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well instead of calling him clueless, why don’t you attempt to educate a bit on some of those things? We’re not all ex college coaches....

Why do “clueless” posters and their friends that they can criticize players and coaches, but other posters can’t comment on their posts or criticize them. 223 is one of best and most knowledgeable posters on egriz, in my view.

By the way, where’s your game report? Assume you were there.

Yes, I was there, not wasting my time at some two-bit Ivy League game. I let Brint handle the paperwork. :thumb: :D

Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

See, NOW you’re just showin’ off!!!!

Like Fucking Greek. :lol: :lol:

All I know is this: If I see another WR running free 10 yards behind the furthest back DB I’m going to throw the remote through the TV. Not sure where that fits in with the 2x2’s, the 3’s, the 1’s, the droppers, the drags, etc., etc....howsabout we just keep guys in front of us consistently? :oops: :oops:

Let’s do in the FIRST quarter what we seem to be able to consistently do in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters....games would be a lot less stressful on us old, fat, out of shape never-played-or-coached-the-gam’ers.....

AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

Like f***[*] Greek. :lol: :lol:

All I know is this: If I see another WR running free 10 yards behind the furthest back DB I’m going to throw the remote through the TV. Not sure where that fits in with the 2x2’s, the 3’s, the 1’s, the droppers, the drags, etc., etc....howsabout we just keep guys in front of us consistently? :oops: :oops:

Let’s do in the FIRST quarter what we seem to be able to consistently do in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters....games would be a lot less stressful on us old, fat, out of shape never-played-or-coached-the-gam’ers.....

Haha. I get that it can be frustrating when guys are open and TDs are scored. My main point is there are reasons for those things that we as fans have no chance at recognizing.

My THEORY for a lot of these things is that Bobby wants us to challenge dudes to beat us over the top, which they have, and points have been scored because of it. However, when we are over aggressive late in games and get picks and fumbles and knock the shit out of everyone in the run game, no one blames this thought process then!

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well instead of calling him clueless, why don’t you attempt to educate a bit on some of those things? We’re not all ex college coaches....

Why do “clueless” posters and their friends that they can criticize players and coaches, but other posters can’t comment on their posts or criticize them. 223 is one of best and most knowledgeable posters on egriz, in my view.

Yes, I was there, not wasting my time at some two-bit Ivy League game. I let Brint handle the paperwork. :thumb: :D

The two-bit Ivy game of 2 undefeated and ranked teams, which was on National Television and in Yankee Stadium? The two-bit Ivy game that showed a photo of what the tv announcer said was the best team in Dartmouth history? Yes, I was in the photo. The two-bit game that introduced Dartmouth NFL greats Reggie Williams, Jay Fiedler, Jeff Kemp and Nick Lowery? And had former NFL player and NFL coach, coaching receivers for Dartmouth? The one that Archie Manning attended to see his friend Buddy Teevens coach Dartmouth?

What were doing sitting in the handicapped section at the Griz game?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

The two-bit Ivy game of 2 undefeated and ranked teams, which was on National Television and in Yankee Stadium? The two-bit Ivy game that showed a photo of what the tv announcer said was the best team in Dartmouth history? Yes, I was in the photo. The two-bit game that introduced Dartmouth NFL greats Reggie Williams, Jay Fiedler, Jeff Kemp and Nick Lowery? And had former NFL player and NFL coach, coaching receivers for Dartmouth? The one that Archie Manning attended to see his friend Buddy Teevens coach Dartmouth?

You're going to dislocate your shoulder if you pat your own back any harder.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Announced attendance was just over 21000. I assume this is a big number for Ivy game? Must have been a great experience for those teams to play in Yankee Stadium.

SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Announced attendance was just over 21000. I assume this is a big number for Ivy game? Must have been a great experience for those teams to play in Yankee Stadium.

Well, it was the "old" Yankee stadium...no, I'm sure it was a great experience and Dartmouth won handily so he's probably on cloud nine...justifiably so.

FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Just defending the Ivies and the game.

I'm enjoying watching 223 run you around in circles and kick you in the butt.

grizpaws said:
SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Well, it was the "old" Yankee stadium...no, I'm sure it was a great experience and Dartmouth won handily so he's probably on cloud nine...justifiably so.

Old Yankee...even better IMO.

Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

Like f***[*] Greek. :lol: :lol:

Haha. I get that it can be frustrating when guys are open and TDs are scored. My main point is there are reasons for those things that we as fans have no chance at recognizing.

My THEORY for a lot of these things is that Bobby wants us to challenge dudes to beat us over the top, which they have, and points have been scored because of it. However, when we are over aggressive late in games and get picks and fumbles and knock the shit out of everyone in the run game, no one blames this thought process then!

This makes sense and explains the difference between the first halves and the second halves...the PSU and Idaho QB's could probably confirm that it isn't a lot of fun to play against our defense in the second half. So what makes the scheme so much more effective in the second half? Our depth? Second half adjustments? Changing up the scheme? It seems they aren't beating us over the top in the second half because the QB's are running for their lives. Are they just turning the dogs loose? Really interested in your thoughts.

SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes, 21,500 is good for Dartmouth. Bigger than Dartmouth's stadium. Was a D home game. Tickets were fairly expensive, especially in the boxes.

Over 20,000 the prior week for D v. Harvard.

Harvard v. Yale draws fairly well. Last game at Yale was over 51,000. Over 30,000 in last game at Harvard.

Awesome for players and fans in Yankee Stadium. Dartmouth played in Fenway two years ago.

Dartmouth will probably finish in the top 10 this year. Dartmouth could compete with the Griz this year. Think Dartmouth's D is better than UM's. first in nation in scoring defense, with 10.1 per game. NDSU is 2d. Princeton is 3d. Dartmouth has the best cornerback in FCS. Will be an NFL guy. Isiah Swann. 6',195. "Last year, Swann was an All-American in the FCS and even finished as a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award which is the top player in the FCS on Defense. He was the defensive MVP for the Big Green and led all of Division 1 with 9 interceptions, setting a new Dartmouth record in the process. He also finished with 18 pass break ups which was third nationally."

My last game at Yale had 61,000. We used to work out at Yankee Stadium on occasion, before the last game of the season at Princeton.

PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

You're adorable. Your lack of reading comprehension isn't.

FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

You're adorable. Your lack of reading comprehension isn't.

You got nothing. Want to try to tell both 223 and me how secondary plays works?

PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes, 21,500 is good for Dartmouth. Bigger than Dartmouth's stadium. Was a D home game. Tickets were fairly expensive, especially in the boxes.

Over 20,000 the prior week for D v. Harvard.

Harvard v. Yale draws fairly well. Last game at Yale was over 51,000. Over 30,000 in last game at Harvard.

Awesome for players and fans in Yankee Stadium. Dartmouth played in Fenway two years ago.

Dartmouth will probably finish in the top 10 this year. Dartmouth could compete with the Griz this year. Think Dartmouth's D is better than UM's. first in nation in scoring defense, with 10.1 per game. NDSU is 2d. Princeton is 3d. Dartmouth has the best cornerback in FCS. Will be an NFL guy. Isiah Swann. 6',195. "Last year, Swann was an All-American in the FCS and even finished as a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award which is the top player in the FCS on Defense. He was the defensive MVP for the Big Green and led all of Division 1 with 9 interceptions, setting a new Dartmouth record in the process. He also finished with 18 pass break ups which was third nationally."

My last game at Yale had 61,000. We used to work out at Yankee Stadium on occasion, before the last game of the season at Princeton.

Sounds like it was a great time. Wish the Ivys entered the playoffs...

It's just strange to see schools in the rankings that won't be in the playoffs...same for HBUs. Wish they'd all join as it would be good for the FCS brand IMO.

Back