• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ryder Rice...

I asked her if advisor or anyone questioned her intentions after earning Masters as far as becoming K-12 principal/superintendent. She said she's never heard that, the U of M was just very glad to take her money quickly.

signedbewildered said:
Was maybe just timing/availability? She thinks on site courses are sporadic/staggered too?

So they now offer courses every other year? WTF is going on? They better get their shit together...

Sorry..can't enroll you this year...but a year from now we can get you rolling....

SoldierGriz said:
signedbewildered said:
Was maybe just timing/availability? She thinks on site courses are sporadic/staggered too?

So they now offer courses every other year? WTF is going on? They better get their shit together...

Sorry..can't enroll you this year...but a year from now we can get you rolling....

I know. She was saying shes a bit overwhelmed with all she is taking right now but had to take the one because they didnt offer it next year (at least on line). Not sure if thats a standard thing with some classes at any university? Dont have a clue or if its even relevant to this thread but it would be a little hard for Rice to finish up if that course wasn't available.

signedbewildered said:
SoldierGriz said:
signedbewildered said:

I know. She was saying shes a bit overwhelmed with all she is taking right now but had to take the one because they didnt offer it next year (at least on line). Not sure if thats a standard thing with some classes at any university? Dont have a clue or if its even relevant to this thread but it would be a little hard for Rice to finish up if that course wasn't available.
This is standard across multiple departments at UM and multiple schools with a similar faculty size as UM. MSU also staggers classes across 3-5 semesters, depending on the department. This allows for a wider array of class options for students over time.

As an oversimplified example, if you have six professors that can only teach one elective class per semester, and your degree requires six elective classes, but you want to make the professors teach the same classes every semester, students are forced to take all of the classes whether they’re interested in them or not.

You can fix this by offering 9-12 classes staggered over two years, which allows students in a two year program to take the six classes they’re interested in over the entire course of their degree.

Sometimes this unfortunately runs into staggering required courses, especially in a budget/staffing shortfall like what UM is experiencing. So when you have proper resources, it’s a better system that just sucks when the resources start to run dry, but that becomes a problem of necessity rather than choice.

uofmman1122 said:
signedbewildered said:
SoldierGriz said:
signedbewildered said:

This is standard across multiple departments at UM and multiple schools with a similar faculty size as UM. MSU also staggers classes across 3-5 semesters, depending on the department. This allows for a wider array of class options for students over time.

As an oversimplified example, if you have six professors that can only teach one elective class per semester, and your degree requires six elective classes, but you want to make the professors teach the same classes every semester, students are forced to take all of the classes whether they’re interested in them or not.

You can fix this by offering 9-12 classes staggered over two years, which allows students in a two year program to take the six classes they’re interested in over the entire course of their degree.

Sometimes this unfortunately runs into staggering required courses, especially in a budget/staffing shortfall like what UM is experiencing. So when you have proper resources, it’s a better system that just sucks when the resources start to run dry, but that becomes a problem of necessity rather than choice.

Or, professors can teach more classes. They need to clearly produce programs of value to students who can finish efficiently. Students looking for 5 year bachelor to master programs. Cost of staying longer is the problem...prohibitive to many.

...one elective per semester...geez...

SoldierGriz said:
Or, professors can teach more classes. They need to clearly produce programs of value to students who can finish efficiently. Students looking for 5 year bachelor to master programs. Cost of staying longer is the problem...prohibitive to many.

Oh the humanity! :eek:

But I will say this about narrowly-focused (i.e. highly specialized) graduate classes ... in the sciences, anyway. "Back in the day" when I taught grad chemistry, we seldom taught those advanced classes every year. That was not because we had some arbitrary schedule imposed. There simply were not enough students interested/ready for that class. But if a student absolutely needed that one class to complete his/her degree, I was allowed to teach the same material as a "special studies" class (or whatever, I don't recall the exact terminology). I even have a vague recollection that I taught a two-student "class" (as special studies) because two were in that situation. So, at least some years back, there were ways to serve the students without breaking the system. FYI: These were University of Idaho grad classes.

IdaGriz01 said:
SoldierGriz said:

But I will say this about narrowly-focused (i.e. highly specialized) graduate classes ... in the sciences, anyway. "Back in the day" when I taught grad chemistry, we seldom taught those advanced classes every year. That was not because we had some arbitrary schedule imposed. There simply were not enough students interested/ready for that class. But if a student absolutely needed that one class to complete his/her degree, I was allowed to teach the same material as a "special studies" class (or whatever, I don't recall the exact terminology). I even have a vague recollection that I taught a two-student "class" (as special studies) because two were in that situation. So, at least some years back, there were ways to serve the students without breaking the system. FYI: These were University of Idaho grad classes.

Where I picked up my M.Ed. and Ed.S. degrees, I was afforded the opportunity to take courses via Independent Study AND my advisor was afforded the capability to substitute courses other than those outlined in the school program of study...both institutions were extremely student friendly and accommodating. And they were SEC grad schools. Go figure. Now I get to teach online grad courses that are extremely user friendly also.

Kids today are well informed and know there are better options than being held hostage to the university catalogue. They all understand a college degree, by and large, is nothing but a certificate or license. Nothing more save a few actual research institutions. They rest? Any and all "research" they are able to get published is nothing but a replication effort, to include the dissertation, and narrow in scope and focus because of the journal editors...say what you will...jargon amongst stuffed shirts afraid someone is going to go through their dissertation and expose how much is plagerized...

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
signedbewildered said:
SoldierGriz said:

I see you missed where I said it’s an oversimplified example. Professors teach multiple required and elective classes per semester. It still results in a staggered schedule.

I’d love to see a school use “we offer less variety of classes!” as a selling point. :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
SoldierGriz said:

This.

Schools (especially UM) have been pretty good at offering independent studies as requirement credits for students that need them in my experience.

SoldierGriz said:
Still has nothing to do with admitting qualified students....

Oh, I agree totally. It was just that people were commenting on every-other-year schedules like it was something that had never happened before.

Back