• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rohrbach Flying Away

grizfan07 said:
mthoopsfan said:
I think ASU will get him to punt for them, unless they have a very good punter. Why doesn’t he transfer to the Air Force Academy?

So in order to be accepted to the Air Force Academy as i understand it, you have to pass a bunch of tests, physicals and such, and have a recommendation from your state senator to go to the academy. Now that doesn’t guarantee you are even accepted but it’s the steps you have to take. It’s not like simply applying for UM or MSU.

The ROTC program at ASU gives him the best chance to go to the academy after graduation and then he would be an officer instead of an Airman.

As Patrick’s brother, it’s hard to see him leave the griz because he truly has been excited to play for this team all his life, but our family love of airplanes has been even stronger. He wants the Air Force, I work at Boeing in Renton, WA as a P8-A Engineer, and we all love the model airplanes. I have nothing but love and respect for him wanting to serve our country.

Yes. My Bozeman nephew graduated from West Point last May. Another nephew graduated from the Air Force Academy and played football a few years ago. I'm glad your brother is following his dream. The Congressional delegation makes the the appointments, not just the Senators.

Oldschoolhornet said:
Yo...genius...the Air Force Academy doesn't accept transfers. As long as he's between 17-22 and meets all the criteria he could apply and compete for admissions for a spot in the next class but if he is chosen he would go in as a freshman.

Yes, that's what I said earlier in the thread. "He could seek a nomination and apply as a frosh." See above.

As I said, my nephew graduated from West Point last spring, and another nephew graduated from the Air Force Academy and played football. I know a lot more about admissions process than you do. Why are you such a jerk?

Bok_Choi said:
alabamagrizzly said:
If our NIL program was as established as NDSU’s or the scats we could’ve certainly got a couple fighter jets for the ROTC kids. If Bobby had any idea how to pay this kids correctly, Patrick could fly his jet over the stadium before kickoff, then parachute out of it to be in the stadium for his punting duties.

Speaking of futile and naive.

I know right!? It’s futile to hope that Bobby has the NIL program running correctly considering how naive they are to how successful it could make us.

alabamagrizzly said:
Bok_Choi said:

I know right!? It’s futile to hope that Bobby has the NIL program running correctly considering how naive they are to how successful it could make us.

Bobby doesn't get to get the NIL running correctly. See the NIL rules. This is what they can do.

"The NCAA said it is permissible if a “staff member assists NIL entity in raising money for NIL entity” through an appearance at a fundraiser or by donating autographed memorabilia.

Athletic department employees can “request donor to provide funds to NIL entity” as long as it’s not earmarked for a specific sport or athlete."

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Bobby doesn't get to get the NIL running correctly. See the NIL rules. This is what they can do.

"The NCAA said it is permissible if a “staff member assists NIL entity in raising money for NIL entity” through an appearance at a fundraiser or by donating autographed memorabilia.

Athletic department employees can “request donor to provide funds to NIL entity” as long as it’s not earmarked for a specific sport or athlete."

Sarcasm is so lost on eGriz….

200w.gif

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

200w.gif

I just figured it was another of your stupid comments.

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

200w.gif

I just figured it was another of your stupid comments.

That’s exactly what it was. It certainly wasn’t one of my less numerous smart comments. That still doesn’t explain your response of why you thought I was being serious.

grizfan07 said:
mthoopsfan said:
I think ASU will get him to punt for them, unless they have a very good punter. Why doesn’t he transfer to the Air Force Academy?

So in order to be accepted to the Air Force Academy as i understand it, you have to pass a bunch of tests, physicals and such, and have a recommendation from your state senator to go to the academy. Now that doesn’t guarantee you are even accepted but it’s the steps you have to take. It’s not like simply applying for UM or MSU.

The ROTC program at ASU gives him the best chance to go to the academy after graduation and then he would be an officer instead of an Airman.

As Patrick’s brother, it’s hard to see him leave the griz because he truly has been excited to play for this team all his life, but our family love of airplanes has been even stronger. He wants the Air Force, I work at Boeing in Renton, WA as a P8-A Engineer, and we all love the model airplanes. I have nothing but love and respect for him wanting to serve our country.

One correction: he doesn’t go to the academy after graduation from ROTC. ROTC is “in lieu of” the Academy. He’ll be commissioned an officer immediately upon graduation from ASU and from the ROTC program.

mthoopsfan said:
grizfan07 said:

Yes. My Bozeman nephew graduated from West Point last May. Another nephew graduated from the Air Force Academy and played football a few years ago. I'm glad your brother is following his dream. The Congressional delegation makes the the appointments, not just the Senators.

Appointments to the Academies can come from 2x Senators or the 1x Representative in the Applicant's (state) District. There are also Presidential Nominations given to applicants with ties to currently serving members of our military or military retirees. Additionally, there are a handful of Vice-Presidential Nominations - these are typically handled by the Academies themselves (held for candidates with high "Whole Candidate Scores"). Lastly, the Academy Superintendent has the ability to give Nominations - these are discretionary and help the Academies bring in the most qualified candidates to round the classes to about 1200 per year. Many candidates who might not reach the Appointment bar are offered the opportunity to attend the Prep Schools - where they spend a year proving academic capacity, and they have a very good chance at an appointment the following year. The goal is to commission about 1000 Lieutenants/Ensigns annually. The Merchant Marine Academy operates essentially the same way - but, smaller. The Coast Guard Academy does not have a nomination process.

If anyone has a son/daughter/grandkid who is interested in an appointment to our Academies - DM me. I am happy to provide more info.

Oldschoolhornet said:
Hopefully Hoops will DM you so he doesn't have to circle back three times to correct his stupid comments.

Everything I said in this thread is correct. I have more recent experience with the academies than anyone else posting in the thread. Which of you has had a relative play at Air Force in the past few years? Please speak up. Have anyone if you stayed at the VOQ at the Air Force Academy, like I have, several times?

mthoopsfan said:
Oldschoolhornet said:
Hopefully Hoops will DM you so he doesn't have to circle back three times to correct his stupid comments.

Everything I said in this thread is correct. I have more recent experience with the academies than anyone else posting in the thread. Which of you has had a relative play at Air Force in the past few years? Please speak up. Have anyone if you stayed at the VOQ at the Air Force Academy, like I have, several times?

:roll:

alabamagrizzly said:
Bok_Choi said:

It's futile to think BH would do anything that resembles innovation. How long would a player like Moody have sat on the bench if he played for BH? oh wait, we saw that with Britt.

Hoops...if you know so much how do you explain your ORIGINAL POST suggesting the young man TRANSFER to the Air Force Academy? You are a joke.

mthoopsfan said:
Oldschoolhornet said:
Yo...genius...the Air Force Academy doesn't accept transfers. As long as he's between 17-22 and meets all the criteria he could apply and compete for admissions for a spot in the next class but if he is chosen he would go in as a freshman.

Yes, that's what I said earlier in the thread. "He could seek a nomination and apply as a frosh." See above.

As I said, my nephew graduated from West Point last spring, and another nephew graduated from the Air Force Academy and played football. I know a lot more about admissions process than you do. Why are you such a jerk?

You initially said "transfer", then you were corrected by another poster. In my view, you know very little about the admissions process as you weren't aware Air Force doesn't accept transfers, until corrected.

VimsinceO3 said:
mthoopsfan said:

You initially said "transfer", then you were corrected by another poster. In my view, you know very little about the admissions process as you weren't aware Air Force doesn't accept transfers, until corrected.

I said transfer as shorthand. I didn't think it was necessary to the explain the process. Also, it really would be a type of "transfer", i.e. leaving one school and enrolling at another. If this had been a desire or possibility of the punter, he would first talk with the AFA football coaches. He would not first go to the Congressional delegation. The coaches would then evaluate and explain what had to be done. College students or students with college credits can apply to the academies. They would start as plebes/frosh and subject to the starting age restriction, which I believe is 23. A college student would need the grades and other qualifications for AFA. Generally, athletes have slightly lower standards for admission at academies. I believe West Point currently has the lowest athlete admissions of the academies. The coach and the academy would work out the appointment aspect. As has already been pointed out, appointments don't come just from Congressional delegations. There are multiple avenues. NCAA rules apply, with some exceptions. Since there are no athletic scholarships at academies (everyone is on "scholarship"), there are generally no ncaa restrictions on the number of recruits. There's a limitation on the number of official visits, I believe, but the schools determine the number of players they want as recruits. The annual recruit numbers are very high, like 75 or even more. I have been involved or around the admission of various relatives to academies. One nephew, who graduated last spring from West Point, was a manager of the football team. Another nephew graduated from Air Force recently and played football all 4 years, including as a starter. I attended games at both West Point and Air Force. I was at graduation at West Point last spring. A good friend of mine is a former coach at AFA. My stock broker is a former AFA player. I know the AD at Dartmouth, who came from West Point as an assistant AD, and have talked to him about football and athletics at West Point. I've talked to 2 people in the MT delegation (both good friends of mine) about nominations, as well as to their staff. Ya, I don't know anything about the academies, admission, athletics, football. People do "transfer" to the academies to play sports. My stock broker buddy played with a guy who came from playing football at Missouri. My buddy says its happens from time to time. Had the punter wanted to go to AFA, and the coach wanted him, and he was qualified and jumped through the hoops, he could have done that. P.S. My buddy just called me back to say that he knows the AFA coach and believes going to the Academy would be a better way to become a flier in the Air Force. I see that the AFA punter averaged 37.65 last year.

mthoopsfan said:
VimsinceO3 said:

I said transfer as shorthand. I didn't think it was necessary to the explain the process. Also, it really would be a type of "transfer", i.e. leaving one school and enrolling at another. If this had been a desire or possibility of the punter, he would first talk with the AFA football coaches. He would not first go to the Congressional delegation. The coaches would then evaluate and explain what had to be done. College students or students with college credits can apply to the academies. They would start as plebes/frosh and subject to the starting age restriction, which I believe is 23. A college student would need the grades and other qualifications for AFA. Generally, athletes have slightly lower standards for admission at academies. I believe West Point currently has the lowest athlete admissions of the academies. The coach and the academy would work out the appointment aspect. As has already been pointed out, appointments don't come just from Congressional delegations. There are multiple avenues. NCAA rules apply, with some exceptions. Since there are no athletic scholarships at academies (everyone is on "scholarship"), there are generally no ncaa restrictions on the number of recruits. There's a limitation on the number of official visits, I believe, but the schools determine the number of players they want as recruits. The annual recruit numbers are very high, like 75 or even more. I have been involved or around the admission of various relatives to academies. One nephew, who graduated last spring from West Point, was a manager of the football team. Another nephew graduated from Air Force recently and played football all 4 years, including as a starter. I attended games at both West Point and Air Force. I was at graduation at West Point last spring. A good friend of mine is a former coach at AFA. My stock broker is a former AFA player. I know the AD at Dartmouth, who came from West Point as an assistant AD, and have talked to him about football and athletics at West Point. I've talked to 2 people in the MT delegation (both good friends of mine) about nominations, as well as to their staff. Ya, I don't know anything about the academies, admission, athletics, football. People do "transfer" to the academies to play sports. My stock broker buddy played with a guy who came from playing football at Missouri. My buddy says its happens from time to time. Had the punter wanted to go to AFA, and the coach wanted him, and he was qualified and jumped through the hoops, he could have done that. P.S. My buddy just called me back to say that he knows the AFA coach and believes going to the Academy would be a better way to become a flier in the Air Force. I see that the AFA punter averaged 37.65 last year.

Every single person attending the Academies meets the standard. 100 % of them. There is no exception for athletes. None. If there is a recruited athlete who does not meet the standard, they may be offered an opportunity to attend the prep schools to elevate them to the standard. This happens often across all of the academies.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Every single person attending the Academies meets the standard. 100 % of them. There is no exception for athletes. None. If there is a recruited athlete who does not meet the standard, they may be offered an opportunity to attend the prep schools to elevate them to the standard. This happens often across all of the academies.

“ We see that the Football athletes separate at 29% vs the general population’s 22%. (29-22)/22 = 32% higher separations than non-athlete cadets. Football athletes score on average 125 points, or .64 StDev, less than non-athlete cadets. This is not to pick just on football players, but as the most highly promoted sport at Army (and which displaces the most other qualified candidates from admissions), it’s an obvious area to question. Other sports in the lower end of the aptitude curves show the same types of patterns.

We further note that the racial test score discrepancy persists even for a single sport. Athletes in football are disproportionately Black and have the lowest scores.

The 910 score shown is somewhere in the 30-35th percentile or so of all SAT-takers. Even the White cadets average a 950, which is still sub-40th percentile. And once again these are averages. They are not floors. The lowest Football score that graduated is 810. This is somewhere around the 12th-15th percentile (reading the chart) nationally.

How does someone like that graduate? “Standards”? Recall from the separation rates above that preferred minority athletes separate at significantly lower rates than preferred-minority non-athletes (excluding Asians). One of LTC Heffington’s charges was that academic standards were relaxed for athletes. This bears that out.”

Back