• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

QB depth going into spring

mtgrizrule said:
ordigger said:
There will still be another QB coming like Carson Baker, or JUCO Jake Jensen. Both would fill a 2nd veteran that potentially could also play, Baker has 2 more years left, Assume the same with Jensen who was walk on at BYU prior to JUCO. Vidlak has 3 years left also

That's playing with fire 🔥. Especially, if the staff is high on Britt being the future. It could also negatively impact team chemistry.

If they bring in another qb, that doesn'took good for Britt.

Coaches will continue working to get better, and bringing in another QB does that in the QB room. They are still looking for a guy that falls between Johnson and Britt eligibility wise.

grizindabox said:
mtgrizrule said:
That's playing with fire 🔥. Especially, if the staff is high on Britt being the future. It could also negatively impact team chemistry.

If they bring in another qb, that doesn'took good for Britt.

Coaches will continue working to get better, and bringing in another QB does that in the QB room. They are still looking for a guy that falls between Johnson and Britt eligibility wise.

Assuming Patterson stays, Brown to TE, Huot impresses, another addition brings us to 5 qbs. It surely doesn't hurt to look. Personally, I'm hoping Britt will be a 3 year starter.

mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

Assuming Patterson stays, Brown to TE, Huot impresses, another addition brings us to 5 qbs. It surely doesn't hurt to look. Personally, I'm hoping Britt will be a 3 year starter.

And I’m hoping they’re looking even harder for about 3-4 O-linemen who can step in and start/challenge for PT.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

And I’m hoping they’re looking even harder for about 3-4 O-linemen who can step in and start/challenge for PT.

Don’t forget a DT and a CB.

Athletic, mobile and mean O-linemen who can pull, sweep and push more than just twinkies in their pie holes; 2 D-linemen cut from the same cloth that can do the same...need some leftsa-eatin mofos, or some big ole Southern lads...

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:

There’s no god damn way we’re bringing in 4 O lineman, a DT and a corner. I think 1-2 O lineman, and a corner. We don’t need a DT, we got Gunner and Alford.

Griz til I die said:
alabamagrizzly said:
There’s no god damn way we’re bringing in 4 O lineman, a DT and a corner. I think 1-2 O lineman, and a corner. We don’t need a DT, we got Gunner and Alford.

Yes, we do. We need at LEAST 3 quality DT’s that can rotate (and stay healthy).

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

Yes, we do. We need at LEAST 3 quality DT’s that can rotate (and stay healthy).
Ok well what I’m saying is we don’t have enough space to take that many guys, unless we start having guys on the roster either quit or enter the transfer portal. 4 O linemen??? Doesn’t that seem like kind of a stretch? How the hell are we gonna bring in 4 O linemen?

ordigger said:
There will still be another QB coming like Carson Baker, or JUCO Jake Jensen. Both would fill a 2nd veteran that potentially could also play, Baker has 2 more years left, Assume the same with Jensen who was walk on at BYU prior to JUCO. Vidlak has 3 years left also

Add Robby Rowell, Cal QB with 2 years left. Looks like some interest has happened since Johnson commitment.

Young players develop. Brown still has room for growth. I just don’t understand being so down on him. Agreed they need to a get a transfer in or two for the competition.

I also think it’s incredibly poor taste for some of you to say he or Patterson is transferring or leaving without any knowledge of it. No reason to do it. If it happens then okay talk about it but you have no idea and just speculating.

dayday said:
Young players develop. Brown still has room for growth. I just don’t understand being so down on him. Agreed they need to a get a transfer in or two for the competition.

I also think it’s incredibly poor taste for some of you to say he or Patterson is transferring or leaving without any knowledge of it. No reason to do it. If it happens then okay talk about it but you have no idea and just speculating.

There's nothing wrong with speculation. It keeps this board interesting. As for Brown, it appears, the staff doesn't have faith in him at qb. This disappoints me. I was pretty high on him last spring. Unfortunately, his recogmition and reaction time absolutely hurts him. If he can overcome that, then he'll be given another opportunity.

mtgrizrule said:
dayday said:

There's nothing wrong with speculation. It keeps this board interesting. As for Brown, it appears, the staff doesn't have faith in him at qb. This disappoints me. I was pretty high on him last spring. Unfortunately, his recogmition and reaction time absolutely hurts him. If he can overcome that, then he'll be given another opportunity.

I notice everyone keeps referring to Brown as a young player as well who needs time to develop. This last season was his 3rd year in the program. He graduated HS before Mellott did. I don’t consider him a young player. If he doesn’t have it figured out by now I’m worried he won’t any time soon.

HookedonGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

I notice everyone keeps referring to Brown as a young player as well who needs time to develop. This last season was his 3rd year in the program. He graduated HS before Mellott did. I don’t consider him a young player. If he doesn’t have it figured out by now I’m worried he won’t any time soon.

You're right. He's had 3 years in the system and isn't improving much in reads and reactions. Physically, he passes all the tests. His arm is strong, he has great footwork to keep plays alive, and he is a surprisingly good runner. I can see why he'd be given opportunity. He sure impressed me last spring and a few glimpses this season. It just hasn't been enough.

dayday said:

I have no reason to believe that KB's ceiling is any higher than what he displayed this last season and the coaches going with Patterson in the chipper makes me think they are ready to go a different direction. As for Patterson, I just don't think his future is as a QB. If he thinks it is, and the coaches bring in another transfer, I can see him leaving.

HelenaHandBasket said:
dayday said:

I have no reason to believe that KB's ceiling is any higher than what he displayed this last season and the coaches going with Patterson in the chipper makes me think they are ready to go a different direction. As for Patterson, I just don't think his future is as a QB. If he thinks it is, and the coaches bring in another transfer, I can see him leaving.

He may have been in the system for 3 years but he's only had meaningful reps in 4 games.See https://gogriz.com/sports/football/roster/kris-brown/5985 Definitely some ball security issues that need to be addressed. It seems like a bunch of you are writing him off. I think that assessment's premature given limited game reps in 2021 and a couple of one-off games last spring.

tgreseth said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

He may have been in the system for 3 years but he's only had meaningful reps in 4 games.See https://gogriz.com/sports/football/roster/kris-brown/5985 Definitely some ball security issues that need to be addressed. It seems like a bunch of you are writing him off. I think that assessment's premature given limited game reps in 2021 and a couple of one-off games last spring.

what this dude said.

and, brown will start spring ball as QB 1. i have no doubt johnson was brought in to start, and likely will, but it's not bobby's style to hand it to him. patterson will stay at QB i think and will be utilized more this year as a wildcat type QB. everyone is high on britt (as i was when he was recruited), but, like brown, we have no clue until he gets live reps. have seen huot play a few times and he is a great athlete and can sling it, but won't be ready for D1 football next year. he will need a year or two to get up to speed, and i suspect they will be working on his wonky throwing motion for most of next year.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Well, for what it is worth, I have heard there have already been discussions by the coaches and Brown about changing positions.

I heard that too. Hence my assertion of him gaining weight and strength for TE. That worked well before.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

I am hearing that they do have 2 OL transfers.

Johnson is so much better prepared to play a DI season than our resident QB candidates that it will take almost no time in the spring to be a clear #1. As was the case with Sneed.

Back