• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Vintage win

kemajic said:
signedbewildered said:
I thought they just forgot their flags and someone's wife didn't bring them till halftime.

Very surprised at the two huge no calls. (Especially at this day and age) Haven't seen replays but in person they both looked bad. I figured Calhoun's career was over.
Not really, flags all over the place, but picked up without penalty. WTF? BSC officiating is not improving.

I watched the Weebs/NoCo game later Saturday and no less than FOUR players were ejected for targeting--two each team. And NONE of those hits were even close to the three questionables in our game. Just flat our egregious decisions by the officials. #bsc. :x

BWahlberg said:
Add in, what a great day to have Dave Dickenson back and being enshrined in the college football hall of fame. Hearing the video clip of him speaking to the team this week was so cool.

Anyone know where to find this sound clip?

Sac State was a highly talented team..they will be good all year.

One thing I love is how this team responds to taking punches compared to Stitts teams.....the way this game started off, Griz teams of the past few years would have been toast. Body language would have been horrible and the route would have been on.

This team remains poised, confident and the energy remains, something that is a big change from last few years. Weather its that they believe in their staff to get them the lead back, or just overall energy..IDK what it is but you can see it.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

One thing I love is how this team responds to taking punches compared to Stitts teams.....the way this game started off, Griz teams of the past few years would have been toast. Body language would have been horrible and the route would have been on.

I just don't think that's true. Here's Stitt's three years, in the games where we "took punches" early...

9/2/17 - Valpo...they held a 13-10 lead midway through the 2nd quarter. We won 45-23
10/6/17 - ISU...they led 7-0 and then 21-13 midway through the 2nd quarter. We won 39-31
10/28/17 - Weber...they led 34-6 at halftime. We lost 41-27 (and lost our QB that game)
9/4/16 - Cal Poly...they led 28-17 midway through the 2nd quarter, we lost 42-41
10/1/16 - SUU...they led 7-3 midway through 1st quarter, we won 43-20
10/22/16 - NAU...they led 45-20 at the end of the 3rd quarter, we lost 45-34
11/12/16 - UNC...the led 14-0 3 minutes into game...we lost 28-25
11/19/16 - MSU...they led 24-7 late in 3rd quarter...we lost 24-17
8/29/15 - NDSU...they led 7-0, 14-10, 21-13, 28-21, 35-28. We won 38-35.
9/19/15 - Liberty...they led 17-0 early in 2nd quarter. We lost 31-21.
10/3/15 - UC-Davis...they led 6-0 and 13-7, we won 27-13
10/24/15 - UND...they led 7-0 2 minutes into game. We won 42-16
11/21/15 - MSU...they led 7-0 4 minutes into game. We won 54-35

Stitt may not have been a good coach, but his teams didn't quit. The players may not have been put into a position to win, but they didn't throw in the towel. Even when faced with adversity--as evidenced above. Even in the close games we lost (MSU, Liberty, Cal Poly) they didn't lay down and give up after getting down by double digits. And yeah, in a couple of those games (NAU, WSU come to mind) we tacked on a couple scores late to make it look respectable, but does that happen if they throw in the towel? If they thought they were "toast"? I don't think you're giving these boys enough credit.

Grizzlythe13th said:
BWahlberg said:
Add in, what a great day to have Dave Dickenson back and being enshrined in the college football hall of fame. Hearing the video clip of him speaking to the team this week was so cool.

Anyone know where to find this sound clip?

It was the "mic'd up moment" in the stadium... maybe they'll share it on twitter if asked?

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I just don't think that's true. Here's Stitt's three years, in the games where we "took punches" early...

9/2/17 - Valpo...they held a 13-10 lead midway through the 2nd quarter. We won 45-23
10/6/17 - ISU...they led 7-0 and then 21-13 midway through the 2nd quarter. We won 39-31
10/28/17 - Weber...they led 34-6 at halftime. We lost 41-27 (and lost our QB that game)
9/4/16 - Cal Poly...they led 28-17 midway through the 2nd quarter, we lost 42-41
10/1/16 - SUU...they led 7-3 midway through 1st quarter, we won 43-20
10/22/16 - NAU...they led 45-20 at the end of the 3rd quarter, we lost 45-34
11/12/16 - UNC...the led 14-0 3 minutes into game...we lost 28-25
11/19/16 - MSU...they led 24-7 late in 3rd quarter...we lost 24-17
8/29/15 - NDSU...they led 7-0, 14-10, 21-13, 28-21, 35-28. We won 38-35.
9/19/15 - Liberty...they led 17-0 early in 2nd quarter. We lost 31-21.
10/3/15 - UC-Davis...they led 6-0 and 13-7, we won 27-13
10/24/15 - UND...they led 7-0 2 minutes into game. We won 42-16
11/21/15 - MSU...they led 7-0 4 minutes into game. We won 54-35

Stitt may not have been a good coach, but his teams didn't quit. The players may not have been put into a position to win, but they didn't throw in the towel. Even when faced with adversity--as evidenced above. Even in the close games we lost (MSU, Liberty, Cal Poly) they didn't lay down and give up after getting down by double digits. And yeah, in a couple of those games (NAU, WSU come to mind) we tacked on a couple scores late to make it look respectable, but does that happen if they throw in the towel? If they thought they were "toast"? I don't think you're giving these boys enough credit.

During one of the last few aired coaches shows in 2016 Stitt addresses one of the questions put to him about how the team was doing with “sometimes you just have to wait for graduation.” This spawned the killer hype campaign in 2017, Fight...Unite....Win. Some group of players from that team, upper class men based on Stitt’s comments - quit on him & he didn’t hesitate to throw them under the bus. Had Chalich not put them on his shoulders against ISU they go 0-second half of the season in 2016.

And you’re right, he wasn’t a good coach.

Good analysis. Agreed that Buss and Olsen are the strength of our defense and that Lewis played an excellent game. I also like what I saw out of Welnel. You can tell he is still figuring things out a bit and thinks a bit, but is a physically gifted player who is a very good tackler and will be a force in a couple years.

Sneed is a gamer. Good leader and competitor. Don't know if we've ever seen raw speed like that at the QB position at UM. What's really great is that he is still figuring things out. There were some receivers that he didn't see down field that were wide open. Notably Sulser. As he gets more comfortable in the pocket, he should see those more rather than progressing to the checkdown so quickly.

OL is playing better. Still has a long ways to go, before you can consider it DOLA. Depth is tight. Hopefully they can stay healthy and keep progressing.

Would like to see more consistency from the defense outside the LB position. Secondary had some pursuit and coverage struggles at times and then covered very well and closed well other times.

Past Hauck teams always had a dominant DE that could get consistent pressure on the QB. We are very young at that position. Tilleman is excellent against the run, but we aren't getting pressure on the QB without blitzing 1 or 2 LB's, which leaves us vulnerable in the middle.

One area of concern that I see is short yardage and when we are inside the 5. This has been an issue all 4 games. The OL just can't seem to get the push needed. Rolling Sneed out and hitting the TE was a well designed and executed play but I would like to see the RB power his way in. Thank God Simenza has been reliable so far this year.

To use a Joe Glenn term: Dalton Sneed - He's a cowboy!!!

debellatio said:
One area of concern that I see is short yardage and when we are inside the 5. This has been an issue all 4 games. The OL just can't seem to get the push needed. Rolling Sneed out and hitting the TE was a well designed and executed play but I would like to see the RB power his way in. Thank God Simenza has been reliable so far this year.

A great measure would be red zone TD scoring % - while that's from the 20 and in it helps to paint a picture of how often the Griz are coming away from RZ trips with a TD, many times you could give credit to the OL on those.

2018 so far: 53%
2017: 62%
2016: 66%
2015: 46%
2014: 64%
2013: 71%
2012: 58%
2011: 64%
2010: 54%
2009: 68%
2008: 62%

-------

BWahlberg said:
debellatio said:

A great measure would be red zone TD scoring % - while that's from the 20 and in it helps to paint a picture of how often the Griz are coming away from RZ trips with a TD, many times you could give credit to the OL on those.

-------

Two good posts. I agree. The Griz have to be able to pick up a tough yard reliably. Thanks.

BWahlberg said:
debellatio said:

-------

That is better than I would have thought but how much does that percentage go down when it is 3rd or 4th down with 2 or less yards to go or even inside the 5. That extra 15 yards opens up the play book quite a bit.

Back