• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Vintage win

Another thing, the only time Sac tried to return a punt, Lewis was on him as soon as he caught the ball. If a linebacker can keep up with a 47 yard punt, I have a feeling we will start seeing some NFL scouts in the stadium over the next few years.

Refs not bad-terrible
Rosies fake pitch QB keeper counter with pulling tackle lead-brilliant
WR play sub par, they block well, allow DBs to push them around, other concerns were mentioned
Demming one tough MFer, nice to see Bingham in on a couple plays, great TE combo
Sandry looked a little lost playing his position early got bettter stud needs a little more time to settle in, Robby tanked bad angles and miss tackles (young)
For a guy that several in the stands didn’t know who he was...Sulser, if he is in the game give him more than one touch...Daaah
Love Eastwood in open spaces and as WR his length makes bad throws look good, noticed two flaws with his short yardage running, runs too tall and at point of contact the feet stay planted, no drive with legs just leans with body and he loses ground because of the poor leverage and lack of leg drive
Love Calhoun brothers good guys and good players, hope Jeremy is ok
LBs best unit and Buss and Olsen can take a game over
Sneed was the right choice at QB and I liked everything about Jensen
Sac St was balanced didn’t turn the ball over and I’m glad the Griz won, great game

Pass coverage by our secondary was the biggest concern I saw. Wide open receivers burned us repeatedly, and thankfully some poor passes prevented those wide open receivers from burning us far more. Maybe not an issue with Cal Poly, but will kill us later if coverage doesn't improve dramatically.

Beyond many things Brint mentioned, on the positive side I also really loved the team's attitude. After blowing our initial 17-14 lead, everyone still looking and playing confident when Sac St flipped it and went up 28 to 17. This team expects to win. It seemed we had perhaps started to lose that attitude.

good write up BW. I would add to the good column, ST improved. On kicks, guys stayed in their lanes, kept their assignments and made tackles, things that were lacking that led to points. can't talk today, NEZ rocked!

Liked the post game press conf, thought it awesome how Sneed and Buss didn't take all the credit but gave credit to fellow team members. That shows this team is coming together and putting trust in each other. I thought Bobby was gracious and very complimentary to Sac St team and staff as he should, they are a damn good team and will be in the hunt end of regular season. Kinda thought their coach acted like an ass, oh I guess he was just butt hurt.

1st of all. I am just as proud of the GRIZ fans as I am of the team. The crowd was as loud as I've heard it for that momentum game changing goal line stand. I was sitting in the northeast side, around the 35 yard line. I couldn't hear myself think. I cannot fathom how difficult it was for Sac State's players to do anything. Situations like that one, are exactly why our fans should commit to being back on time after halftime. I hope, we as a fan base can commit to that kind of noise each and every game! That is how fans positively make an IMPACT!

WOW, what a terrific game to attend and just as good to watch (did so from DVR). Who else wishes Bobby Hauck had this kind of mindset his 1st go around here? Hard to believe how damn versatile of a coach he is this time around. Play calling and game strategy is much more diverse than his 1st time. I can honestly say, I am impressed with how many personnel sets Hauck's offense uses. Using 2 and 3 TE's at TE and FB was brilliant. That change was the main reason for an improved running game. Calhoun (praying he is healthy) and Eastwood each had some running room more often this game. We also got to see the other extreme of personnel, with JLM and Sulser on the field at the same time for a few plays. I really do wonder what Rosie is setting up to use with that combo. I was surprised to see so little of Akem. Terrific personnel utilization and versatility GRIZ coaches!!!

How about Sulser!!! That kid is the real deal and has next level wheels! 1st career touch goes to the house, that is the 1st chapter of what will be a story book GRIZ career. By the way, no way he redshirts. His speed and talent on the field are game changing, even when he doesn't have the ball. Defenses absolutely need to be aware of him. That kind of presence makes life easier for the offense. That will play out as the GRIZ incorporate him more into the offense.

Speaking of exciting, What about the Buss/Olson LB duo??? Both are high motor impact players. Do you realize, how difficult it is to have 1 dominating game changing LB, let alone 2? This combo is special and rare. GRIZ Nation, enjoy every second and every play of this combination. I've been holding off giving them such high praise, but they are amazing every damn game. Could we be witnessing the best 1 season LB duo in GRIZ history? 4 games in, they sure have a legendary feel.

Can someone please explain to me, why it takes until half time for a coaching staff to make needed adjustments with either side of the ball? Why can't the necessary adjustments be comfortably done during game play, in the 1st half? I've always wondered this. How difficult is it to gather your specialty group together on the sidelines, and do exactly the same thing that is done at half time? The defensive adjustments made at halftime were terrific. The defense was horrible in the 1st half. In the 2nd half, it was great (still room for improvement and consistency). Limiting Sac State's offense the way it did was very impressive. That offense is the real deal. Their offense will dominate most defenses as the season plays out.

As for the GRIZ offense, I absolutely love the versatility of this offense. Bobby has said, he wants an offense that can play multiple styles. It sure in the hell is heading that way. Hard to believe, this offense has a lot of room to improve with long passing and running game. If those things improve consistently, this offense will be damn scary and exciting. It sure is strange, yet terrific to have a true duo threat QB. We all knew that Sneed was terrific at keeping plays alive with his feet. However, we now know, he can dominate if needed, with his legs. He is fun to watch when he can impact a game to that level. The kid takes great care of the ball too. Granted, he needs to find more consistency on longer passes, however, he did show improvement in that aspect, compared to prior games. It looks to me, he and the coaches are working diligently to improve there.

Onto Cal Poly. Personally, I really am torn going into this game. Our history of struggling against their option offense has me really concerned. Then again, I do have more faith in our offense against their defense than I have in the past.

Way to go GRIZ! This fan is so happy and impressed with this staff and players. I am beginning to believe in Bobby magic again. I am close to having that quiet confidence in this program again. Yes, I do have that with the basketball program, going into this season. #GOGRIZ

grizare#1 said:
Liked the post game press conf, thought it awesome how Sneed and Buss didn't take all the credit but gave credit to fellow team members. That shows this team is coming together and putting trust in each other. I thought Bobby was gracious and very complimentary to Sac St team and staff as he should, they are a damn good team and will be in the hunt end of regular season. Kinda thought their coach acted like an ass, oh I guess he was just butt hurt.

Butt hurt definitely, "the crowd and venue had no outcome on the game " hahaha.

TCCGRIZ said:
grizare#1 said:
Butt hurt definitely, "the crowd and venue had no outcome on the game " hahaha.
Seem to recall a "settled for" FG in there somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

Consistent improvements, what more can we ask for? We all know, knew, we're young, inexperienced and need to improve and grow as the season progresses. Seems to me we are doing just that. Sure, there are some WTF moments, and mistakes but the overall trend has been improvement in every aspect. If this trend continues, as I believe it will, I'm cautiously optimistic!

Next week will tell a lot. A team we usually struggle with but with a good showing, continued improvements, and a win on the road and this team will only grow in confidence.

We're trending the right way!

GO GRIZ!

I know our defensive coaches are struggling to get pressure on the Q Bs but that X stunt with DT and DE is simply Not the solution.Unless you have a spy working. Too much lateral movement, and leaving an open field for the QBs' .Only defense for a good Throwing QB is a push from DTs and All out pressure from DEs.You must have 6 in the box on first, and second and long. and 7 in the box on 2nd and 3rd and short. That said. on blitzes, the DTs' have to play gap to tie up a double team. to free LB.ers to run through. Corner Blitzes need to have deals with DEs' and Sam or will backers..Go Griz 2-1

mtgrizrule said:
Speaking of exciting, What about the Buss/Olson LB duo??? Both are high motor impact players. Do you realize, how difficult it is to have 1 dominating game changing LB, let alone 2? This combo is special and rare. GRIZ Nation, enjoy every second and every play of this combination. I've been holding off giving them such high praise, but they are amazing every damn game. Could we be witnessing the best 1 season LB duo in GRIZ history? 4 games in, they sure have a legendary feel.

Do not over look Jace Lewis either. He is an up and coming linebacker also and in on a lot of key plays.

AZGrizFan said:
Who wore LB better? Coyle/Tripp or Buss/Olson?

Coyle/Tripp were consistently great, with a few big plays sprinkled in. Buss/Olsen seem to be consistently everywhere and are making more "Big" plays more consistently.

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

Coyle/Tripp were consistently great, with a few big plays sprinkled in. Buss/Olsen seem to be consistently everywhere and are making more "Big" plays more consistently.

While I agree, I think that may be more related to the schemes each played in....and by no means is this a slam on Olson/Buss. I think they’ll go down as two of the all-time greats to ever don the copper & gold. But this particular system seems designed to focus on the LB’s while the DL eats up blockers.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

While I agree, I think that may be more related to the schemes each played in....and by no means is this a slam on Olson/Buss. I think they’ll go down as two of the all-time greats to ever don the copper & gold. But this particular system seems designed to focus on the LB’s while the DL eats up blockers.

I considered that too, but scheme doesn't explain how these 2 seem to be everywhere, and we have a DT getting a good amount of tackles for his position too. Shaw seems to get a fair number of tackles for a DT. I don't recall Tripp/Coyle showing up in plays as often as Olson/Buss.

signedbewildered said:
I thought they just forgot their flags and someone's wife didn't bring them till halftime.

Very surprised at the two huge no calls. (Especially at this day and age) Haven't seen replays but in person they both looked bad. I figured Calhoun's career was over.
Not really, flags all over the place, but picked up without penalty. WTF? BSC officiating is not improving.

mtgrizrule said:
1st of all. I am just as proud of the GRIZ fans as I am of the team. The crowd was as loud as I've heard it for that momentum game changing goal line stand. I was sitting in the northeast side, around the 35 yard line. I couldn't hear myself think. I cannot fathom how difficult it was for Sac State's players to do anything. Situations like that one, are exactly why our fans should commit to being back on time after halftime. I hope, we as a fan base can commit to that kind of noise each and every game! That is how fans positively make an IMPACT!
I'm just surprised and disappointed to see so many empty seats for DD day. What the hell is there better to do on a Saturday like that in MT?

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

Tripp & JP/Coyle/McSurdy played in a more traditional 4/3. For some of that time they had Wags as an elite pass rusher in front of them. They did Blitz, but nowhere earned often @ Baer sends his guys, in their combination 3/3 & 4/2. They were pretty good in coverage, Buss has been moved part time to the rush end position to take advantage of his pass rush skills. All of them have been spectacular.

Back