• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: The Stein stays in Montana

Buttegrizzle said:
Good summary. Another missed call early on was the roundhouse punch to the face mask of a Griz (didn’t catch the jersey number) by a Spud after the whistle. It was front and center on TV, but of course the officials saw nothing. Idaho had a lot of frustration cheap shots it seemed. They have become the new Portland State of the BSC.

Yep - Mike texted me from the game asking if that made the broadcast (it kind of did but announcers missed it). Also there was a called horse collar on Brown that the announcers said wasn’t.

AZGrizFan said:
Wolf777 said:
The cheapshots were ridiculous and bush league. I thought our guys showed good restraint in the fourth given the circumstances. I also have no problem with Belknaps personal foul early in the game given that he was literally picking a guy up off his teamate. And Idaho can punch our guy in the middle of the field and not draw a flag, but Gubner gets a penalty for roughing and ejected for literally making contact within half a step? Normally that goes down as a hurry in any scorekeepers playbook.

My wife who loves going to home games, but has never really been too into watching a game on the tv was fired up by the end, and by that last drive she was sitting right beside me yelling at Grady when he said Patterson could just run up and take a knee before that last play.

Agreed on Belknap. That POS jumped on Lewis after the play was dead and Belknap was just dragging him off. The whole team (Vandulls) is comprised of a bunch of dirty pieces of shit. There’s literally not one thing I like about that team or their POS coach. [#]f### ‘em all.

So azgrizfan.... Including ex-grizzlie and Boulder Mt native trase le texier in that statement? ... You did say the whole team...... classie as always.😣😣

Cowboys84 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Agreed on Belknap. That POS jumped on Lewis after the play was dead and Belknap was just dragging him off. The whole team (Vandulls) is comprised of a bunch of dirty pieces of shit. There’s literally not one thing I like about that team or their POS coach. [#]f### ‘em all.

So azgrizfan.... Including ex-grizzlie and Boulder Mt native trase le texier in that statement? ... You did say the whole team...... classie as always.😣😣

Which statement? Did he see the field?

And here’s a newsflash for you: being from Montana doesn’t make one immune to being a dick. I mean, you are exhibit A.

BWahlberg said:
Buttegrizzle said:
Good summary. Another missed call early on was the roundhouse punch to the face mask of a Griz (didn’t catch the jersey number) by a Spud after the whistle. It was front and center on TV, but of course the officials saw nothing. Idaho had a lot of frustration cheap shots it seemed. They have become the new Portland State of the BSC.

Yep - Mike texted me from the game asking if that made the broadcast (it kind of did but announcers missed it). Also there was a called horse collar on Brown that the announcers said wasn’t.

It looked like a horse collar live but turned out not to be. But again, no replay so the call stood.

AZGrizFan said:
Cowboys84 said:

And here’s a newsflash for you: being from Montana doesn’t make one immune to being a dick. I mean, you are exhibit A.

The statement that you said the vandals WHOLE team is a bunch of dirty pieces of shit, that one.... it Doesn't matter if he saw the field or not, he's part of the team....

Cowboys84 said:
AZGrizFan said:

The statement that you said the vandals WHOLE team is a bunch of dirty pieces of shit, that one.... it Doesn't matter if he saw the field or not, he's part of the team....

Well, unless he doesn’t listen to his coach at all, you can rest assured his mind is being poisoned.

I don't really get the ire about the onside kick. Seems like good practice for both teams. Who gives a shit? Might be a good reminder to take care of the ball or let it go out of bounds, etc.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:
For far, far too many years I’ve been openly critical about the officiating in the bsc, and the league doing absolutely nothing to improve it or hold their officials accountable. The response from many on here has been “it’s bad in every conference”.

Bullshit.

No objective person could watch the last two GRIZ games and make such a claim. It’s demonstrably horrible in the bsc. The conference’s complete unwillingness to do ANYthing to hold officials accountable is professional malpractice.

I’ve been saying this for a while but my question is HOW. How is this the case??? Do other conferences pay refs better and in return get better officials? It has in the past and will again cost us playoff games.

I used to wonder as well. But I’ve landed on that other conferences act accordingly and hold their officials accountable, and hire replacements for those who are unable to perform. In the bsc, we see the same faces year after year after making the same errors.

I may be wrong, but I thought the BSC officials were in a consortium with the Pac-12 and MWC. Or is that something that was, but no longer exists. Someone must know more than I do on this.

'68griz said:
I may be wrong, but I thought the BSC officials were in a consortium with the Pac-12 and MWC. Or is that something that was, but no longer exists. Someone must know more than I do on this.

I think that is basketball only. I know that the BSC lost 2 off there top officials to the PAC12 this year.

'68griz said:

Yes basketball only. And for all intents and purposes it doesn’t matter. Since those leagues nearly always play on the same nights, the bsc still gets the worst of the worst.

EverettGriz said:
'68griz said:

Yes basketball only. And for all intents and purposes it doesn’t matter. Since those leagues nearly always play on the same nights, the bsc still gets the worst of the worst.

Thanks, Everett and Helena, for correcting my comment.
So, where DO Big Sky officials come from?

blackfoot griz said:
Does anybody have the clip of the spud punching our guy? I missed it and am curious if it was as flagrant as the girlfriend said it was.

I’ll see if I can find it on my recorded game. It was front and center on the SWX broadcast.

AZGrizFan said:
Good: 10 points on turnovers. Which obviously has been an issue this year.
Also Good: Good to see Robertson back out there laying the wood. I’m sorry, but the D just looks ‘different’ when he’s healthy and on the field. Love Graves, but he’s no Robertson.
Bad: Two penalties took two TD’s off the board, another mysterious penalty on Gubner continued a drive we had stopped with an INT, and a third (the mysterious false start on the 2-point conversion) penalty took 2 more points off the board. Whether they were ACTUAL penalties or not, we need to clean that stuff up. This would have been a rout of epic proportions with that 23 point swing.
Also bad: Hope to Christ some of those injuries turn out to be minor. We’re reaching the point where Bobby is gonna have to have open call at a practice for offensive and defensive linemen.

Side note: That was the worst reffed game I’ve watched in quite some time. And for BSC refs, that’s saying something. Just bad, all the way around….possibly couldn’t have been a worse game for replay review not to be working.

How do you clean up things that are not penalties?

MikeyGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Good: 10 points on turnovers. Which obviously has been an issue this year.
Also Good: Good to see Robertson back out there laying the wood. I’m sorry, but the D just looks ‘different’ when he’s healthy and on the field. Love Graves, but he’s no Robertson.
Bad: Two penalties took two TD’s off the board, another mysterious penalty on Gubner continued a drive we had stopped with an INT, and a third (the mysterious false start on the 2-point conversion) penalty took 2 more points off the board. Whether they were ACTUAL penalties or not, we need to clean that stuff up. This would have been a rout of epic proportions with that 23 point swing.
Also bad: Hope to Christ some of those injuries turn out to be minor. We’re reaching the point where Bobby is gonna have to have open call at a practice for offensive and defensive linemen.

Side note: That was the worst reffed game I’ve watched in quite some time. And for BSC refs, that’s saying something. Just bad, all the way around….possibly couldn’t have been a worse game for replay review not to be working.

How do you clean up things that are not penalties?

Dont’ do something that the refs can mistake for something illegal?

i re-watched that false start call several times, and what I gathered is the wing official may have thought Macias moved his foot early, since he turned to snap the ball, rather than through his legs.

The thing that most concerns me is the slow starts. As Brint noted, Washington, Eastern, Sac Stat and Idaho have all crammed the ball down our throats on opening drives this year, our defense looking like the Washington Generals. True, we've come back to win two of those games, but in the two losses, stops on those opening drives would have been crucial.

What's up with this? How can a defense look so bad to start, only to recover so quickly and look so good, even dominant, later in the game?

The slow starts on offense concern me, but not necessarily those on defense. It’s not unusual for teams to March right down the field on their first drive, then struggle after that. Teams typically script the first 10-15 plays, and have all week to work on them.

Back