• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: An expected result but still a frustrating loss

krammer said:
the o/l is not a glamorous position, but ndsu did show they are the most important unit on the field...that is why even in the nfl, many first round picks are o/lineman....our o/l was owned today, in particular theibes by number 53....we are young but it doesn't matter....it also doesn't matter what offense you run, jj cannot throw from his back, spread or pro offense.....the defense was outstanding if you know anything about football...
#53 may win the Buchanan award. I refuse to judge Thiebes and Reese by their performance against #53.

gobison said:
Bison Dan said:
LOL - you had 2 plays on offense the whole game - 9 First Downs - 2-1 TOP and 2-1 total yards and you would have won at home? You must of saw a different game. Good luck the rest of the way...

Griz can't win away from WaGriz, that stadium is their crutch. Egriz is sounding like a bunch of whiny bitches after we won.

Some egriz Griz fans are actually breaking down what needs to be done for the team to improve. I for one have not bad mouthed or discredited NDSU at all. As the game played out, it turned out the game was winnable. Do I like the fact that we had to concede to giving up so much TOP and rushing yards? Hell no, it pisses me off, upsets me, and is disappointing! After seeing NDSU's defense make our offense struggle and even be more inconsistent, I feel the defense implemented the best strategy to at least put the GRIZ in position to get a W. Was it a big gamble and could have the results been worse? Yes it could have been worse. Fortunately our defense was nails tough in the red zone.

Great game and great W to NDSU. Feel free to go back to focusing on your team and fans rather than bashing GRIZ NATION.

Bison Dan said:
LOL - you had 2 plays on offense the whole game - 9 First Downs - 2-1 TOP and 2-1 total yards and you would have won at home? You must of saw a different game. Good luck the rest of the way...

OK, so GOOD plays don't count. Got it. :roll:

Jackass. Try winning with some class.

Then stop making stupid excuses that you would have won at home. You know it could have just as well be a 30 point spread. You need to re-watch the game.

Bison Dan said:
Then stop making stupid excuses that you would have won at home. You know it could have just as well be a 30 point spread. You need to re-watch the game.

If's never play part of any game in any sport. Fact is, this game was played in Fargo and the outcome is what it is. Nobody here can 100% be sure what the outcome would/could have been "IF" this game was played at WAGRIZ.

Either way it would have been a battle of 2 great programs and unfortunately 2 fan bases not giving the other enough credit for their programs and seasons. Hate to say it, but the fan bickering this week has really taken away from 2 great programs. From a competitive stand point, I'd love to see this match up every season. Based on the trash exchange between fan bases on EGRIZ, I'd rather not have this match up very often. It is amazing how a few jack asses on each side can ruin a good thing.

Bison Dan said:
How pathetic is your life when the only thing you have to do on a Sunday is come to your opponents message board and rub salt in the wound. Classy.

As always, a great post-game report. I keep hearing people talk about what needs to happen to fix the offense and make use of the players we currently have. I don't disagree with most of the comments and suggestions to fix the offense but there is one very important obstacle in the way. I don't know how many of you were at the football banquet last fall but the last thing Coach Delaney said as he closed the banquet was, (I'll paraphrase because I don't recall his exact words) "Many people say we should be running more of a spread offense or a run-n-gun style of play. I'm here to tell you that we are going to play REAL football and that means sticking to a hard-hitting running game!" I know Delaney personally and have chatted with him in his office several times. He is a great guy and I think he has made a difference in the areas of concern we had when he was hired. However, with this statement in mind, is there really any chance that we will see the kind of offense that might make better use of players like JJ or Travon or Henderson? What we saw yesterday was an attempt at REAL football and I think we would have done better with a little more variety.

Bison Dan said:

Perhaps you need to.....at WaGriz you wouldn't have gotten away with the penalties you did. The noise factor would have been reversed, although I'm told the noise was a let down at the Fargodome - not really impressive. You got how many false starts when you had a quiet crowd....how many do you think you would've had here? lmao.....not sure you can count that high.

The Griz feed off the crowd. I won't say we would've won that game at home yesterday. I will GUARANTEE we would've.

ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:

Perhaps you need to.....at WaGriz you wouldn't have gotten away with the penalties you did. The noise factor would have been reversed, although I'm told the noise was a let down at the Fargodome - not really impressive. You got how many false starts when you had a quiet crowd....how many do you think you would've had here? lmao.....not sure you can count that high.

The Griz feed off the crowd. I won't say we would've won that game at home yesterday. I will GUARANTEE we would've.

Lol. Come on now. I have tried to be civil on this board but this is idiotic.
Montana squeaked by SD and beat a DII team.
Dont be ridiculous. NDSU wins this game at any stadium.

RobGriz said:
Bison Dan said:
How pathetic is your life when the only thing you have to do on a Sunday is come to your opponents message board and rub salt in the wound. Classy.

Dude, he is a fan of a team in North Fucking Dakota. What do you think he has going on today?

NDSUSR said:
ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:

all of you have waded into greenie-land. personal fouls for the bunch!

NDSUSR said:
ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:

Don't mind Oredigger. He overdosed on grape Kool-Aid laced with 10x confectioners.

BleacherCreature said:
As always, a great post-game report. I keep hearing people talk about what needs to happen to fix the offense and make use of the players we currently have. I don't disagree with most of the comments and suggestions to fix the offense but there is one very important obstacle in the way. I don't know how many of you were at the football banquet last fall but the last thing Coach Delaney said as he closed the banquet was, (I'll paraphrase because I don't recall his exact words) "Many people say we should be running more of a spread offense or a run-n-gun style of play. I'm here to tell you that we are going to play REAL football and that means sticking to a hard-hitting running game!" I know Delaney personally and have chatted with him in his office several times. He is a great guy and I think he has made a difference in the areas of concern we had when he was hired. However, with this statement in mind, is there really any chance that we will see the kind of offense that might make better use of players like JJ or Travon or Henderson? What we saw yesterday was an attempt at REAL football and I think we would have done better with a little more variety.

That comment shoes what a fossil he is. I am surprised that he does not install the wing-T offense for Christ's sake. Nothing changes until he goes.

AZGrizFan said:
krammer said:
the o/l is not a glamorous position, but ndsu did show they are the most important unit on the field...that is why even in the nfl, many first round picks are o/lineman....our o/l was owned today, in particular theibes by number 53....we are young but it doesn't matter....it also doesn't matter what offense you run, jj cannot throw from his back, spread or pro offense.....the defense was outstanding if you know anything about football...
#53 may win the Buchanan award. I refuse to judge Thiebes and Reese by their performance against #53.
+1

Hopefully, they can study the tape and learn (a lot) from it.

If there is such a thing as an ok loss, this is it...if Griz have to go back in playoffs.
Crowd has zero effect, no apprehension about that. D knows they can give the team a chance. IF offense can use a bit of imagination to use playmakers, I like the Griz chances...
Wont predict a win, but won't concede it as a loss either...I would bet, if there was any fear factor of playing them, it is completely gone after yesterday.

NDSUSR said:
ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:

We can play that game too...

NDSU squeaked by Weber State and beat a DII team. (Incarnate Word, even though they are an FCS team, was DII last year and still plays like a DII program)

These whole "we beat this team worse than you beat that team" is just ridiculous. Any Given Saturday.

NDSUSR said:
ordigger said:
Bison Dan said:

If you think UM sneaked by SD, then you'll have to agree that NDSU sneaked by UM and Wyo. really sneaked by UM. A few more plays going UM's way, and they beat NDSU. No team has played NDSU tougher, since the NI game last year. When was the last time NDSU didn't get a TD in the first half (2011)? When was the last time ND was held to 1 TD in a game (2012)? You are so unknowledgable about the game of football that you can't even understand NDSU just had a very tough game.

monte is a character said:
BleacherCreature said:

That comment shoes what a fossil he is. I am surprised that he does not install the wing-T offense for Christ's sake. Nothing changes until he goes.

I'll tell you what, I'm glad the Griz haven't bought into the flashy "forward pass on first and second down" fad. When you have an inexperienced OL, a mobile QB, and good receivers, the only prudent offense to run is the power running game.

BleacherCreature said:
... the last thing Coach Delaney said as he closed the banquet was, (I'll paraphrase because I don't recall his exact words) "Many people say we should be running more of a spread offense or a run-n-gun style of play. I'm here to tell you that we are going to play REAL football and that means sticking to a hard-hitting running game!" I know Delaney personally and have chatted with him in his office several times. He is a great guy and I think he has made a difference in the areas of concern we had when he was hired. However, with this statement in mind, is there really any chance that we will see the kind of offense that might make better use of players like JJ or Travon or Henderson? What we saw yesterday was an attempt at REAL football and I think we would have done better with a little more variety.
That comment shows what a fossil he is. I am surprised that he does not install the wing-T offense for Christ's sake. Nothing changes until he goes.
If that quote is even close to accurate -- and I have no reason to doubt it -- then it's down-right scary. The kindest thing one can say is: "The game has passed him by."

I said in the run-up to the game that this staff (or at least the HC) seemed to be committed to a run-first style of offense ... and that that could be disastrous. NDSU has proven, time and again, that they can stuff the run (and that includes against FBS teams that supposedly have "better" material). Was that wrong? Nope ... and it was entirely predictable. I would not presume to say what the proper strategy might have been, but "generally" one needs to be more flexible and creative. You do not play to your opponents strength (run defense), and ignore your own weaknesses (an inexperienced OL).

IdaGriz01 said:
BleacherCreature said:
... the last thing Coach Delaney said as he closed the banquet was, (I'll paraphrase because I don't recall his exact words) "Many people say we should be running more of a spread offense or a run-n-gun style of play. I'm here to tell you that we are going to play REAL football and that means sticking to a hard-hitting running game!" I know Delaney personally and have chatted with him in his office several times. He is a great guy and I think he has made a difference in the areas of concern we had when he was hired. However, with this statement in mind, is there really any chance that we will see the kind of offense that might make better use of players like JJ or Travon or Henderson? What we saw yesterday was an attempt at REAL football and I think we would have done better with a little more variety.
That comment shows what a fossil he is. I am surprised that he does not install the wing-T offense for Christ's sake. Nothing changes until he goes.
If that quote is even close to accurate -- and I have no reason to doubt it -- then it's down-right scary. The kindest thing one can say is: "The game has passed him by."

I said in the run-up to the game that this staff (or at least the HC) seemed to be committed to a run-first style of offense ... and that that could be disastrous. NDSU has proven, time and again, that they can stuff the run (and that includes against FBS teams that supposedly have "better" material). Was that wrong? Nope ... and it was entirely predictable. I would not presume to say what the proper strategy might have been, but "generally" one needs to be more flexible and creative. You do not play to your opponents strength (run defense), and ignore your own weaknesses (an inexperienced OL).

Note that if mixed run/pass team abandons its run game during a game, the opponent will rush the qb even harder and with abandon. UM couldn't protect JJ as it was. Abandoning the run would have had some downsides. I'm not suggesting that more passes might not have been in order, but our pass game was having problems too. Had JJ gotten good protection, he would have picked NDSU apart. It would have been a different game.

Back