• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 2 days late!

daGrizJ said:
Curran's TD drop was inexcusable. I love the guy, but he is going to hurt us one of these games if he can't clean this up. It did however, give me the win on the score prediction. He he.

The targeting was obvious helmet to chin. They are going to call that every time, launch or no launch.

This may have been "two young, relatively inexperienced teams" but from my view, the Griz dominated this game, on the road, against a team that has been our nemesis for 10 years. That's a huge step forward IMO.

Longer than 10. Knocked us out in the first round at home in '05 after a decent regular season.

cclarkblues said:
I think that Eastwood has some wheels. I didn't see anyone closing on him on his long TD run, and he didn't appear to run out of gas at 40 yards like some in the past.
No one was closing on Buss either, who was an exceptional HS RB.

Da Boyz Mom said:
PlayerRep said:
mtmopars said:
The sulser missed catch was overthrown slightly and he still almost came up with it. He is gonna be amazing to watch the next few years. If he had caught that it would have been a beautiful circus type catch he was giving all he had to get it.

Sulser made a great attempt on that ball. Would have been an almost impossible catch.

I can't recall many real drops. What were they? The catch over the middle on the targeting call was one of the best I've ever seen after getting hit that hard and that quickly.

I know the targeting call was confirmed, but it didn't look like targeting from where I sat. It looked like a great hit. Was it viewable on streaming?

The targeting was during the point of the second quarter when all we saw on streaming was a long shot of the empty side of the field.
Several replays shown on the 11 Sports telecast; targeting could not have been clearer. Intent of targeting might be questioned because it happened so fast, but he led with the crown of his helmet to the other helmet. It was the correct call.

I love our 2018 linebackers, but I was very impressed with Jason Crebo.

http://montanasports.com/high-school/mttop40/2018/07/18/mttop40-instinctive-linebacker-jason-crebo-left-lasting-legacy-at-montana/

RayWill said:
Olsen is going to have win the conference MVP award a few more times and get 30 tackles in game before I'm getting on the bandwagon.

Damn your standards are high. :shock: I am on the Wagon for Olsen for sure. May be the best LB I have ever seen play for the Griz.

Htowngriz said:
daGrizJ said:
Curran's TD drop was inexcusable. I love the guy, but he is going to hurt us one of these games if he can't clean this up. It did however, give me the win on the score prediction. He he.

The targeting was obvious helmet to chin. They are going to call that every time, launch or no launch.

This may have been "two young, relatively inexperienced teams" but from my view, the Griz dominated this game, on the road, against a team that has been our nemesis for 10 years. That's a huge step forward IMO.

Longer than 10. Knocked us out in the first round at home in '05 after a decent regular season.
The '05 team was BH's weakest; since and including '05, we are 7-5 vs. CPSLO. They have had some very good players and won a lot of games; not sure nemesis is the right descriptor.

argh! said:
the three cents nobody wants:

game pitted two young, relatively inexperienced teams against each other, and it showed more for cal poly than the griz. good job by the griz coaches.

don't agree that the poly offense was kept under wraps - they had over 400 yards rushing. also, the griz were the beneficiaries of two very costly cal poly mistakes, making for a 14 - 28 point swing in the score, and momentum with it.

the 4th down stops were impressive, especially considering the cal poly fullback, who in my view might have been the best individual player the griz have played against this year.

not totally on the r. hauck bandwagon - he looks kinda slow to me, and some of his tackles the last couple games seemed to come from him falling on a guy who had already been tripped up. not saying he's bad, or that he can't play at the i-aa level, but i thought epperly from last year looked at least as good when he played.

i am on the dante olsen bandwagon.

i still think calhoun is by far the best rb on the griz, and even one of the best in the country, but i kind of hope that i never see him play another down of football, given how many big hits he's already taken. it isn't worth it.
Painful to agree with Argh, but this is mostly right on.

The triple option giveth and taketh away. It's upside is ball control, it's downside is its vulnerability to turnovers. You are only a beneficiary if you take advantage as the Griz were able to do. Turnovers are inevitably a bad play by the offense or a good play by the defense or both. They are not to be tossed out of the equation. Loss of the ball on downs is pretty much a turnover.

Robbie Hauck has an eye for the ball and gets a lot of tackles. He is not the fastest guy on the D, but he has excellent closing speed on his tackles and rarely gets faked out like some of our other safeties. His uncle set the bar high for closing speed and sure tackles, something Robby may be on a track to achieve. Meanwhile, as a RS frosh his priority is likely to become excellent at coverage. Like fellow RS frosh Eastwood and some others, he's a great prospect.

I've seen a lot of football at this level, but I'm not sure I have ever seen a better football player than Dante Olson. I'm just wondering why we didn't see more of him on D last year.

BWahlberg said:
Alright Griz fans, we’re 2 days removed from a big road win and I’m just getting my post game thoughts up. Typing this up on the notepad from my phone, so I’m going to keep it shorter this time around. I’m in Oregon for a friend’s wedding, hence the late post and short(er) version.

There’s a lot to unpack from this win, here’s my summary of main takeaways;

- The offensive line just keeps getting better. Now I know this is probably the worst front 7 they have (and probably will) face, but the amount of time Sneed had to throw and the wide open lanes these guys pulled Open was damned impressive. I never felt like the offense couldn’t get a score back mostly bc of how solid the OL was performing.

- The defense made sure to make Poly pay for their mistakes. In my scouting report I said that Poly is going to offer up some turnovers, they sure did. The defense and special teams converted 2 turnovers, one scored a TD, the other lead to a quick TD score. Additionally the defense stopped Poly on 4th down three times, and on ensuing possessions the Grizzly offense scored TDs.

- Furthermore on the defense, I had tweeted this, they were on the field for almost 39:00 of game time and faced 95 plays. Yeah they gave up some yards but overall this was a pretty good showing keeping Poly from ever being within a “close” range. There were hardly any long plays save a few deep passes that were ripped off. All things considered this was a damn solid effort.

- Could this be the game where Eastwood finally starts to show that next level of confidence in his play? The first few weeks (to me) he was seeming to just not find holes and make big plays, save one longer TD run. This game though I saw the Eastwood that would flash these types of skills in camp. Last week post game I mused that the Sneed fake-pitch won’t work forever and the run game has to develop. Poly this week over-emphasized containing Sneed and let Eastwood run wild. This is a very good thing for the running game moving forward, who do you key in on?

- It was so refreshing to see a defensive scheme adapted to attack the Poly offense to keep it somewhat under wraps. There was a great use of rotation in the depth, and shifting on the D line. Multiple prior DC’s never showed a good adaption to address Poly. Baer and staff did.

- Posted it last week that Akem needs to be a greater part of the game and he showed why. His TD was a 2nd move on a busted route (I think) and just found space to help Sneed out.

- Sneed has added a little more to his game each week and this time around we got to see him actually have time to go through progressions and not panic and take off running too soon. While it’s early he’s currently leaning the Big Sky in total offense, ahead of even Gubrud. Suffice to say, if the season ended right now he’d be in discussion for Big Sky mvp.

- Eleven Sports is trash and an embarrassment as a media representative of this conference. I was watching in a spot where I couldn’t hear the sound much but I read plenty of complaints about that too.

- Two passes, no catches, in the endzone to Curran. The TV camera work left a lot to be desired, I couldn’t tell if the first one he had it and the DB hit his arm or if it was a drop. The 2nd lead to the pick but I had no clue if that was on the throw, good coverage, or another drop. There was I believe mention of a drop by Sulser and maybe Toure as well? The camera work missed those entirely. With how skilled this WR corps is this shouldn’t be happening this much.

- More improvement on special teams as well is a good thing to see. Semenza stays perfect, coverage was good (did give up a few returns but not terrible), and of course a recovered fumble by OD.

- loved the bear paw on the helmets

- 2nd week in a row that Justin Calhoun gets caught on deep passes not finding the ball in the air. In both the PSU and CP game the catches were tremendous ones though. These are small things he’ll get back as he gets comfy at corner again, but I assume teams are going to keep attacking him with those types of deep shots.

All in all a good win with still plenty of things needed to clean up. The defensive guys are probably still worn out from that effort, hopefully this weeks PSU game doesn’t catch them flat footed.

I think this is a nice sign that we’re seeing ongoing improvement rather than flat or regressing play, which we could have found in other years prior at times. While it’s early and this was a win they should have had regardless I really liked how the Griz came out and handled business.

Go Griz!
Brint, I'm not sure what the feed problem was on your end but it wasnt eleven.

I watched the entire production from eleven and it was quality. I had no freeze, only 1 play with a crazy angle. It was WAY better than any local cast I have seen.
As usual, great post game.

Go Griz!
[/quote]

I watched the entire production from eleven and it was quality. I had no freeze, only 1 play with a crazy angle. It was WAY better than any local cast I have seen.
[/quote]

I watched it on Pluto's app but I still think it was eleven sports that did the telecast and it was garbage. Worst I have ever seen. There was an entire thread (or two) dedicated to how bad the telecast was. I am glad yours was good but for many of us it was trash. The second half was better, I'll give them that.

I watched it on Pluto's app but I still think it was eleven sports that did the telecast and it was garbage. Worst I have ever seen. There was an entire thread (or two) dedicated to how bad the telecast was. I am glad yours was good but for many of us it was trash. The second half was better, I'll give them that.
[/quote]
I snap shot pics with a buddy. Pluto was stuck with a side cam facing the jumbo, I wasnt. My buddy was on Pluto and I was on eleven.
Welcome to streaming. Multiple casts. Pluto was produced by the big sky conf. Stop giving eleven shit, it was the bsc feed, not eleven, period.
I've been streaming for 3 years now. I'll guarantee that thread you speak of doesn't know the difference between bsc and eleven. They're just used to " a feed".
Here's an easy question to determine, how much of your broadcast was in HD?

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
grizfan406 said:

[/quote]
Umm...no, it wasnt. I snap shot pics with a buddy. While you were stuck with a side cam facing the jumbo, I wasnt. My buddy was on Pluto and I was on eleven.
Welcome to streaming. Multiple casts. Pluto was produced by the big sky conf. Stop giving eleven shit, it was the bsc feed, not eleven, period.
I've been streaming for 3 years now. I'll guarantee that thread you speak of doesn't know the difference between bsc and eleven. They're just used to " a feed".
Here's an easy question to determine, how much of your broadcast was in HD?
[/quote]

I was on 11 as well in the fubo app and had no freeze problems either. I think the freeze issues were experienced by those who were trying to watch the game on Pluto. Every game I try to watch on the Plato app freezes

Pluto is a 100% free app, eleven is a pay app through your service. Yes, there is a difference. And Swx should realize such as well, they are always blacked out, AND are a joke in the stream world of Griz football

Proud Griz Man said:
I love our 2018 linebackers, but I was very impressed with Jason Crebo.

http://montanasports.com/high-school/mttop40/2018/07/18/mttop40-instinctive-linebacker-jason-crebo-left-lasting-legacy-at-montana/

RayWill said:
Olsen is going to have win the conference MVP award a few more times and get 30 tackles in game before I'm getting on the bandwagon.

Damn your standards are high. :shock: I am on the Wagon for Olsen for sure. May be the best LB I have ever seen play for the Griz.

Crebo was a great one for sure. In fact Dante reminds me a lot of him, similar speed. To me, there is no doubt though Dante is top 5 LB I have seen wear a Griz uni and if he keeps these stats going he MAY finish as the best.

Dmontanagrizzlies said:

My feed was atrocious. Missed the entire second quarter with a camera pointed out one of the end zones. I could hear the play by play, but no visual as the camera crew left for the tailgates. It was about the worst produced telecast I’ve ever seen. That includes WIU and the dorky commentary crew at SUU a few seasons ago.

The telecast (DirecTV 623) of course had no freezes, but the camera work was horrible; several completely missed plays and faked out camera man. Their special was to run replays during hurry-up offenses missing the next play altogether. Bush CPSLO feed, but the homer announcers were special. There was not a missed second quarter....

kemajic said:
The telecast (DirecTV 623) of course had no freezes, but the camera work was horrible; several completely missed plays and faked out camera man. Their special was to run replays during hurry-up offenses missing the next play altogether. Bush CPSLO feed, but the homer announcers were special. There was not a missed second quarter....
:thumb: Special indeed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kemajic said:
argh! said:
the three cents nobody wants:

game pitted two young, relatively inexperienced teams against each other, and it showed more for cal poly than the griz. good job by the griz coaches.

don't agree that the poly offense was kept under wraps - they had over 400 yards rushing. also, the griz were the beneficiaries of two very costly cal poly mistakes, making for a 14 - 28 point swing in the score, and momentum with it.

the 4th down stops were impressive, especially considering the cal poly fullback, who in my view might have been the best individual player the griz have played against this year.

not totally on the r. hauck bandwagon - he looks kinda slow to me, and some of his tackles the last couple games seemed to come from him falling on a guy who had already been tripped up. not saying he's bad, or that he can't play at the i-aa level, but i thought epperly from last year looked at least as good when he played.

i am on the dante olsen bandwagon.

i still think calhoun is by far the best rb on the griz, and even one of the best in the country, but i kind of hope that i never see him play another down of football, given how many big hits he's already taken. it isn't worth it.
Painful to agree with Argh, but this is mostly right on.

The triple option giveth and taketh away. It's upside is ball control, it's downside is its vulnerability to turnovers. You are only a beneficiary if you take advantage as the Griz were able to do. Turnovers are inevitably a bad play by the offense or a good play by the defense or both. They are not to be tossed out of the equation. Loss of the ball on downs is pretty much a turnover.

Robbie Hauck has an eye for the ball and gets a lot of tackles. He is not the fastest guy on the D, but he has excellent closing speed on his tackles and rarely gets faked out like some of our other safeties. His uncle set the bar high for closing speed and sure tackles, something Robby may be on a track to achieve. Meanwhile, as a RS frosh his priority is likely to become excellent at coverage. Like fellow RS frosh Eastwood and some others, he's a great prospect.

I've seen a lot of football at this level, but I'm not sure I have ever seen a better football player than Dante Olson. I'm just wondering why we didn't see more of him on D last year.

To me - the strategy looked to be not letting 5 go for 300. The ends were tight, the safeties close & a wide play was pursued parallel to the line - & that never works out well. The Poly receivers are the best group of holders you’re going to see in the conference - one replay showed a defender being driven into the sidelines & one in the foreground - both receivers with two hands on the jerseys of the Griz defenders.

But let’s not forget the Griz offense only stopped itself. I think Poly had two or three tackles for loss the whole game. Two missed TD passes & that game is a 31 point blow out. Hauck’s liability is in coverage for now - but no more than any of the rest of the safeties. Calhoun is great talent & it’s too bad he was stuck in an inside zone scheme for three years, but he has a tendency to put his head down & gets him dinged.

And I know you’re just kidding about Olson not playing last season. We all know he was @ least fifteen spots from seeing the field as a receiver. Five games in, Bobby is still explaining to the TV crews that they had 20 receivers & 7 offensive linemen on scholarship when he took over. The amazing thing about Olson to me is just how much of the field he covers. He is seemingly everywhere. But give some credit to the guys in front of him who help keep the blockers off of him. The defense is designed to have the backers & alley safeties make the plays.

Back