• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offensive Line Discussion

I lived on ranches and did ride the range.I also stacked thousands of square bales as well as my share of loose hay. Needless to say, I was in shape. Maybe it is different today, but I think Montana still has its share of ranch kids that work hard and are in top shape. I think it’s near impossible to compare Montana to Iowa, Nebraska. Just in numbers, we don’t have that many available recruits that can or want to play OL as compared to the Midwestern states. Montana produces natural athletes, just not very many.

Spanky2 said:
I lived on ranches and did ride the range.I also stacked thousands of square bales as well as my share of loose hay. Needless to say, I was in shape. Maybe it is different today, but I think Montana still has its share of ranch kids that work hard and are in top shape. I think it’s near impossible to compare Montana to Iowa, Nebraska. Just in numbers, we don’t have that many available recruits that can or want to play OL as compared to the Midwestern states. Montana produces natural athletes, just not very many.

You hit the high point here. The gaslighting by AZ and UofM ignores that I said nothing about midwest farm boys or compared them, I merely passed on what a Montana HS coach of 35 years told me about the MT kids in HS, in Montana. I did allude to his other comments about the activities they now use to kill time, but not what he lamented about what the rise of popularity of that actual pussy sport, that claims to be football outside the US, has done to kill interest in football.

What we are missing is someone with attitude on the OL, ala JD Quinn
Loved the way that he would flip off the opposing team before the play and just be a beast against the opposing D.
I guess in today's society if that happened there would be a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and probably someone on the opposing D. would have to go into the trainers tent to be in their "safe space" for a series or two.

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm

So they don’t have four-wheelers and round balers in the Midwest? I’m seriously confused….Montana farmboys are now pussies, but Midwest farmboys are bad asses?

Yes, you and several others are confused for a variety of reasons that are based primarily on misconceptions. First of all most of the athletes being recruited out of the mid-west aren't farm boys. Now they may have some farm genes bred into them from decades ago but most live in suburban areas. I live in a town of 17,000 about 40 miles north of the city. A mile to the east is Coon Rapids with over 60,000; 2 miles to the east is Ramsey with around 30,000 and to the west is Champlin with around 20,000. So within a small radius are severel high schools drawing from a population of over 120,000 that is growing rapidly. The Metro Minneapolis area is already huge and expanding exponetially. Every corn field within sight is being plowed up into subdivisions. I don't know where the people are coming from but the old neighborhoods closer to the city are still full, and producing fine players as well although some may be more financially challenged than the primarily white suburban kids. Minnesota has an educational system that Montana could only drool over - the tax paying population actually thinks that schools are a priority so graduates have an exemplary education they can build on.. Another misconception is that these kids are "big uglies" as several have called them. They may be big but they well educated and well groomed as any kid from Fairfield. I posted about the lack of UM recruiting this area three years ago but was told that I was severely uninformed and Bobby and staff had everything under control. Maybe so, maybe not. I would be highly surprised if Vigen's new DC didn't have some mid-west connections, as does Vigen already, so if Bobby doesn't wan't them, or even wan't to make the effort to recruit them, I would wager that MSU, taking their cue from NDSU, will . Minnesota boys like to hunt and fish and Bozeman's a pretty good place for that while getting a quality education. But Bobby knows best I guess and even if he doesn't most of you have annointed him, along with his grey-beard OC and DC (why don't other schools want to poach them?) as coaches for life so I guess the chance of possibly changing things up is moot.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Spanky2 said:

You hit the high point here. The gaslighting by AZ and UofM ignores that I said nothing about midwest farm boys or compared them, I merely passed on what a Montana HS coach of 35 years told me about the MT kids in HS, in Montana. I did allude to his other comments about the activities they now use to kill time, but not what he lamented about what the rise of popularity of that actual pussy sport, that claims to be football outside the US, has done to kill interest in football.

Please explain who/how I gaslighted? :roll: :roll: :roll:

sdk.catfish said:
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm

So they don’t have four-wheelers and round balers in the Midwest? I’m seriously confused….Montana farmboys are now pussies, but Midwest farmboys are bad asses?

Yes, you and several others are confused for a variety of reasons that are based primarily on misconceptions. First of all most of the athletes being recruited out of the mid-west aren't farm boys. Now they may have some farm genes bred into them from decades ago but most live in suburban areas. I live in a town of 17,000 about 40 miles north of the city. A mile to the east is Coon Rapids with over 60,000; 2 miles to the east is Ramsey with around 30,000 and to the west is Champlin with around 20,000. So within a small radius are severel high schools drawing from a population of over 120,000 that is growing rapidly. The Metro Minneapolis area is already huge and expanding exponetially. Every corn field within sight is being plowed up into subdivisions. I don't know where the people are coming from but the old neighborhoods closer to the city are still full, and producing fine players as well although some may be more financially challenged than the primarily white suburban kids. Minnesota has an educational system that Montana could only drool over - the tax paying population actually thinks that schools are a priority so graduates have an exemplary education they can build on.. Another misconception is that these kids are "big uglies" as several have called them. They may be big but they well educated and well groomed as any kid from Fairfield. I posted about the lack of UM recruiting this area three years ago but was told that I was severely uninformed and Bobby and staff had everything under control. Maybe so, maybe not. I would be highly surprised if Vigen's new DC didn't have some mid-west connections, as does Vigen already, so if Bobby doesn't wan't them, or even wan't to make the effort to recruit them, I would wager that MSU, taking their cue from NDSU, will . Minnesota boys like to hunt and fish and Bozeman's a pretty good place for that while getting a quality education. But Bobby knows best I guess and even if he doesn't most of you have annointed him, along with his grey-beard OC and DC (why don't other schools want to poach them?) as coaches for life so I guess the chance of possibly changing things up is moot.

I have never made the connection (or statement) that the midwest recruits are "farm boys". Merely asking questions to those who DID make that statement as to why the farm boys WE recruit are somehow inferior...

And agreed about Vigen's potential connections into the area.

Did our OL block poorly in every game or just in certain games? Did they block poorly when our starting quarterback was playing or was their performance weak when the backup quarterback was playing? When we once again have our starters at running back will the OL improve?

Spanky2 said:
Did our OL block poorly in every game or just in certain games? Did they block poorly when our starting quarterback was playing or was their performance weak when the backup quarterback was playing? When we once again have our starters at running back will the OL improve?
No.
Both.
The OL might not improve, but the offense will look better when we have a RB that can find gaps that the freshmen couldn’t.

AZGrizFan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

For those that don't know, this is a classic narcissist's attempt at gaslighting.

For AZ, good try!

horribilisfan8184 said:
AZGrizFan said:

For those that don't know, this is a classic narcissist's attempt at gaslighting.

For AZ, good try!

OK. I honestly don't know. But whatever. You do you. :thumb:

Back